Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tyquan Lewis done for the season

CR91

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

He was playing well.  I don't think it's going to take a lot to re-sign him.  Assuming he's healthy.

True, but can't take the chance on his recovery given our shortage of pass rush talent, IMO, just because of the cheap factor. For example, Seahawks go and get Carlos Dunlap, and then sign Benson Mayowa from the Bears in the off season, both of which have helped their DL pass rush get better. At some point, Ballard just needs to spend on difference making talent, not all of which is super expensive.

29 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I doubt he will be a Colt next season. 

Why?    His injury shouldn’t stop our interest.

Unless his injury is catastrophic, he should be ready to go in August.    We will make an offer.   The only question will be will someone else make a better one in either money or opportunity? 

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

If Banogu isnt traded i suppose he and Dayo will fill in.

Who would trade for Banogu?

Hell the staff and office of this team are so hot to ignore him he’ll be able to live in a quiet corner of the Colts Complex for decades as long as he just keeps to himself. 

Banogu, for whatever reason, is a lost cause. I’d sure like to know just what the hell went wrong there, did we just whiff on scouting him, was it attitude/work issues, what’s the deal? Why did we use a 2nd round pick on a guy we’ve used like this?

Dayo is just gonna have to hit the ground running, or as close to it as he can get, I guess. 

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

True, but can't take the chance on his recovery given our shortage of pass rush talent, IMO, just because of the cheap factor. For example, Seahawks go and get Carlos Dunlap, and then sign Benson Mayowa from the Bears in the off season, both of which have helped their DL pass rush get better. At some point, Ballard just needs to spend on difference making talent, not all of which is super expensive.

Yep.  It would be another experiment in health like Mack and TY.  Fans think about money, but they don't consider the roster space these guys take up despite being a good value.  TY, Mack, and Lewis' roster spots need to be manned by better players, IMO.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Yep.  It would be another experiment in health like Mack and TY.  Fans think about money, but they don't consider the roster space these guys take up despite being a good value.  TY, Mack, and Lewis' roster spots need to be manned by better players, IMO.

Exactly!!! Plus, if we have a new DC, that might need different kinds of players while running the same 4-3, things can change too.

Just now, DougDew said:

I think we will keep Lewis and let Turay go, then add a rotational pass rusher to fill Turay's role

Just now, Zoltan said:

I think we will keep Lewis and let Turay go, then add a rotational pass rusher to fill Turay's role

I think the plan was to have Dayo replace Lewis anyway.  

Too bad for Lewis, he was playing pretty well.  But, its also a situation where it took until his contract year to show that he could play well.

2 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

It was really an unfortunate string of events, because it looked like the injury caused the fumble, and I may be wrong but it looked like a non-contact type injury

Yep, Nick Harper's stabbing injury caused him to cough off that ball in a fumble too, unfortunate but Polian sent him packing because he did not want to pay him. We had Marlin Jackson and Kelvin Hayden drafted to build upon. Same way, we have Paye and Dayo to build upon, rather keep Turay since Dayo might play the Lewis role eventually.

10 minutes ago, #12. said:

No one.  Most had him as a 4th rounder or so to begin with, so what would anyone possibly trade for him now, given what he has shown?

That’s the point I was making. Obviously we stepped into a pile of % with that pick, we’ve literally gone out of our own way to hide him and stash him anywhere as far away from playing in a game as we can get, of course there’s no value there. 

Which is unfortunate, we could use as much second round talent as we can get right now. :grumpy2:

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

I think the plan was to have Dayo replace Lewis anyway.  

Too bad for Lewis, he was playing pretty well.  But, its also a situation where it took until his contract year to show that he could play well.

Yep. But that is not unsual, starting with Will Fuller in a contract year and so many others. A team then evaluates the whole body of work and based on that, I'd develop Dayo for the Lewis role.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Yep, Nick Harper's stabbing injury caused him to cough off that ball in a fumble too, unfortunate but Polian sent him packing because he did not want to pay him. We had Marlin Jackson and Kelvin Hayden drafted to build upon. Same way, we have Paye and Dayo to build upon, rather keep Turay since Dayo might play the Lewis role eventually.

I just don't think you can keep Turay with his injury history. Lewis can fill the backup position behind Dayo

Just now, Zoltan said:

I just don't think you can keep Turay with his injury history. Lewis can fill the backup position behind Dayo

Maybe it is time to start over and cut our losses. I'd have 1 truly impactful EDGE guy to go with Paye and Dayo, than a bunch of JAGs, which is what our EDGE seems to be composed of with Turay, Lewis, Banogu. Quality trumps quantity, IMO.

33 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

It was really an unfortunate string of events, because it looked like the injury caused the fumble, and I may be wrong but it looked like a non-contact type injury

He wasnt touched.  Some people were wondering if the fumble was the right call or if TL gave himself up as he was going down, which would make him down.  

I thought he tripped watching it live which would make it a fumble, after a replay i think its fair to question if he was indeed giving himself up.  That wouldnt matter the ball was coming out anyway before he hit the ground but the replay didnt clarify that part well

25 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Ballard has a lot of work to do on the DL in the off season. 

I think (for better or worse) we are going to see what Paye and Dayo can do. If this team improves the pass rush in a meaningful way I think it will be because of those two. Outside of backup level players i'd be surprised if the Colts make DE moves in the offseason.

"The blue goggles are real lol at people who think were getting anything at all for Banogu"

Just a wild thought. Are we trying to shove a round peg into a square hole? I'm sure the coaches have thought of this, but would he be better suited playing LB. At 6'3" 257 he'd be a thumper in the middle. I'm guessing a good run stopper. I know he played DE in college, but college players do switch positions occasionally in the pros if they are a better fit somewhere else.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Maybe it is time to start over and cut our losses. I'd have 1 truly impactful EDGE guy to go with Paye and Dayo, than a bunch of JAGs, which is what our EDGE seems to be composed of with Turay, Lewis, Banogu. Quality trumps quantity, IMO.

Personally, I'm ready to move on from the Fluse D.  I know the advantages, but it rarely works against the better teams.

And, I've said it before, but are all of those guys just JAGs?  Or is our D line coach (and the scheme itself) the reason we can't seem to put pressure on the QB?  We have one great player on the interior who's presence alone should make those edge rushers' jobs easier.  It doesn't seem to work that way.

1 hour ago, John Waylon said:

Who would trade for Banogu?

Hell the staff and office of this team are so hot to ignore him he’ll be able to live in a quiet corner of the Colts Complex for decades as long as he just keeps to himself. 

Banogu, for whatever reason, is a lost cause. I’d sure like to know just what the hell went wrong there, did we just whiff on scouting him, was it attitude/work issues, what’s the deal? Why did we use a 2nd round pick on a guy we’ve used like this?

Dayo is just gonna have to hit the ground running, or as close to it as he can get, I guess. 

Same people who traded for Quincy Wilson and Bashem.

52 minutes ago, FRW said:

"The blue goggles are real lol at people who think were getting anything at all for Banogu"

Just a wild thought. Are we trying to shove a round peg into a square hole? I'm sure the coaches have thought of this, but would he be better suited playing LB. At 6'3" 257 he'd be a thumper in the middle. I'm guessing a good run stopper. I know he played DE in college, but college players do switch positions occasionally in the pros if they are a better fit somewhere else.

When they drafted him they said the plan was for him to be a LB.  They said much like in the mold of Jamie Collins but it didn't pan out.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Why?    His injury shouldn’t stop our interest.

Unless his injury is catastrophic, he should be ready to go in August.    We will make an offer.   The only question will be will someone else make a better one in either money or opportunity? 

Forgetting the injury should 8 sacks in 4 years stop, or at least pause, our interest? 

Surely there must be better out there?

8 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Why would they even pick up the phone after those two fleece jobs?

I’ve got brown bananas with more value than Banogu. 

Bashem had a good season for the Jets last year. I dont know whats up with Quincy but i think hes still with the Jets. Anyway lets not act like you couldnt add Banogu in as a part of a trade package. People do take chances on young players. Especially ones who they may have had high grades on coming out of college. Whoever the other player is you would put with Ben would have to have more value of course.

I still think they should look at switching ben over to LB but oh well.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Harper didn't fumble the ball,   he got it the 40.   Manning and co got us fg range and Vandershank missed it

Archived