Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nelson, Dayo practices

CR91

2 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s Banogu. Clearly they have nothing for him. He’s not quite got to that Eason point yet where they’ll play a guy in line at the hotdog stand instead of him, but they definitely aren’t pushing the issue to get him on the field. 

Yep they just need Ben  as a numbers game right now. As soon as Dayo comes back he will probably be gone. 

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Freeney & Mathis were maybe the Best Bookend DE's in history of the NFL. Do you really think they have that much potential? 

That pretty big shoes to fill.

I said a freeney/Mathis type role. Not that they will equal those too. 

my point is that I think both are great athletes and talented. Both are young, I think that they have the chance to grow and complement each other in a way that Freeney and Mathis did. IE: making it that much harder to double team one. 

i think that’s why both Freeney and Mathis became what they did. Both were very talented, but individually, I think their numbers wouldn’t have been AS good as they ended up being. That said, I doubt anyone will ever match that duo in full

3 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Not sure who but I would be shocked if it’s AQM he’s been the most consistent end this year.  I believe Dayo can play a little inside so it could be one of those guys.  If it’s an end that goes I am guessing it’s Ben.

Davenport

9 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Khalil Davis I think the thought all along was practice squad for him but since he was claimed on waivers had to be on regular roster 3 weeks.....it is approaching, we waive him and reclaim for p.s. if he clears and develop him.

Someone will claim him.  We weren’t the only team to put in a claim.

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

We’ve only seen a tiny fraction of what Paye can do.    Who knows?  

No kidding.  One thing that has definitely not gotten better in our culture over my lifetime is our patience.  Everything has to be now, now, now.

The kid has played like 3 games.  And because he’s not an instant All-Pro we’re hearing comments that sorta, kinda suggest he’s approaching draft bust land.

Give it some time.  Making that step from college to pro is a big one.  The game is faster.  The opponents are better.

Just now, luv_pony_express said:

No kidding.  One thing that has definitely not gotten better in our culture over my lifetime is our patience.  Everything has to be now, now, now.

The kid has played like 3 games.  And because he’s not an instant All-Pro we’re hearing comments that sorta, kinda suggest he’s approaching draft bust land.

Give it some time.  Making that step from college to pro is a big one.  The game is faster.  The opponents are better.

Welcome to fans in a nutshell.  That’s why teams don’t give us a say in how things are run.

11 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Yeah everyone knew Paye was very raw coming out of Michigan, he needs time to develop. I think by Week 1 next year we’ll have a second beast on the line to go with DeFo

12 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Thanks very much.   Sorry I can’t your post 1,000 likes!     Need more of your posts, not less. 

1 hour ago, chickenMan said:

Yeah everyone knew Paye was very raw coming out of Michigan, he needs time to develop. I think by Week 1 next year we’ll have a second beast on the line to go with DeFo

Hopefully.  Only time will tell.  Ballard and Reich are confident.  So are Baker, Dodds, and Raich.  Why shouldn’t the rest of us be?

Is it a sure thing?  No.  No such thing in this league.  But, good grief, developing NFL players isn’t done in a microwave or on fiber based Internet access.  It almost always takes some time.

22 hours ago, luv_pony_express said:

more delay our gratification!!!!!!!!!!!

22 hours ago, chickenMan said:

If Dayo and Paye pan out, we could have quite the dynamic duo on the edges. I don’t think either will contribute massive amounts this year as Dayo will need time to recover and Paye needs more time to develop, but the idea is exciting

I'll be surprised if Dayo ends up on the edge.  Still think he's too heavy footed.  The closest I'd play him to the edge is 5T.

Edge types need to have feet, or at the least some lateral quickness.  If they put Dayo on the edge they're gonna have contain problems on his side.  This is why I expect he'll end up as a DL at this level.

The hope for this season is that he can work his way into being a good DL rotation piece.  That has a lot of value.

On 10/20/2021 at 3:13 PM, GoColts8818 said:

Welcome to fans in a nutshell.  That’s why teams don’t give us a say in how things are run.

Shhhhh.....some folks here actually think that suggestions here......get read by the team. Better yet......that they might act on those suggestions......:sip:

9 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Or worse yet they know more than those in charge.

It's not that people think they know more than the people in charge, it's the fact that they are frustrated that our FO doesn't know more than the people that matter (which is 31 other FOs). Imagine the Lions FO. They know more than all Lions fans. However, they are the only winless team in the NFL. Does knowing more than the fans do them any good? Of course not. They haven't won a game. Our FO knows more than us. Does that really matter when we are 2-4 and can't beat any teams on our level or better than us? Of course not. Those 31 other FOs are the only actual competition. It's not the Colts fans Vs the Colts FO, it's the Colts FO Vs 31 other FOs, and right now, the Colts FO have a losing record this year and only one playoff win in Ballard and Reich's tenure here. That's the problem and why fans are frustrated with this team.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

It's not that people think they know more than the people in charge, it's the fact that they are frustrated that our FO doesn't know more than the people that matter (which is 31 other FOs). Imagine the Lions FO. They know more than all Lions fans. However, they are the only winless team in the NFL. Does knowing more than the fans do them any good? Of course not. They haven't won a game. Our FO knows more than us. Does that really matter when we are 2-4 and can't beat any teams on our level or better than us? Of course not. Those 31 other FOs are the only actual competition. It's not the Colts fans Vs the Colts FO, it's the Colts FO Vs 31 other FOs, and right now, the Colts FO have a losing record this year and only one playoff win in Ballard and Reich's tenure here. That's the problem and why fans are frustrated with this team.

That wasn’t what I was talking about. There are some people here who legit think they know more than Ballard and company do.  That has nothing to do with if other GMs and coaches know more.

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I think some people just dont walk around with a sense of entitlement and berate people who dissapoint them. 

To me this is like criticizing a doctor for failing to save a patients life by performing a surgery that had less than a 25% chance of success in the first place.

Look, I get it. It sucks to not get what you want. But I believe only 7 teams got to win a playoff game last year, thats less than 25% of the league. Its hard to win a playoff game. Only 14 teams got an opportunity to play in the playoffs. That was hard to do as well.

So lets not act like the Colts are a complete failure. Thats just a ridiculous perspective to take. 

You cant have respect for the difficulty of an achievement and simultaneously feel entitled to that achievement. You arent entitled to anything.

9 hours ago, Boondoggle said:

I'll be surprised if Dayo ends up on the edge.  Still think he's too heavy footed.  The closest I'd play him to the edge is 5T.

Edge types need to have feet, or at the least some lateral quickness.  If they put Dayo on the edge they're gonna have contain problems on his side.  This is why I expect he'll end up as a DL at this level.

The hope for this season is that he can work his way into being a good DL rotation piece.  That has a lot of value.

Yeah I just realized that recently. They did say they want to start him as an edge before moving him inside, but who knows how long that whole process will take.

On 10/20/2021 at 2:35 PM, John Hammonds said:

Just because a guy is healthy enough to play doesn't mean he's ready to play.

In 1314, before the Battle of Bannockburn, there were many volunteers who showed up late to fight.  Robert the Bruce wouldn't allow them to join the battle because they hadn't taken part in the precision training required to make the schiltron formations effective.

Dayo needs to practice.  A lot.  You can't just throw him in there because he's healthy.

10 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Since the colts won’t have any really hard practices the next couple weeks I wonder if Dayo may not play against the nets. They are having a light week this week and there is a short week the following week.

I guarantee Dayo won't play against the Nets.

On 10/21/2021 at 4:29 PM, Boondoggle said:

If you watch his tape, he doesnt get sacks from speed,

I think he starts to play at LDE on early downs thens shifts inside for interior rush

He has an enormous wing span that will help on run downs (And pass downs)

As you mention, this has value

He also is a stout kid that could spell Buckner

Im anxious to see the kid play, but I dont expect pro bowl on day one... :)

I see Dayo as a power rusher with some serious athleticism. 

It all depends on how he uses those tools. He'd actually be a perfect LE if he can be a productive pass rusher. You would prefer a guy with size there to hold up against doubles in the run game.

My dream scenario is that he is turns out to be a Jason Pierre Paul type of player. 

Archived