Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Carson Wentz is NOT the problem

indyagent17

I just re-watched the game. And I saw most of the saw our quarterback being harassed all day. The flip pass at the goal line was not his fault Donald made an exceptional play. Carson avoided at least 6 sacks but managed to escape. When he had time he was sharp and on target. Who knows what may have happened in the last 2 minutes but that loss is squarely on our under achieving offensive line and the lack of a pass rush.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

I just re-watched the game. And I saw most of the saw our quarterback being harassed all day. The flip pass at the goal line was not his fault Donald made an exceptional play. Carson avoided at least 6 sacks but managed to escape. When he had time he was sharp and on target. Who knows what may have happened in the last 2 minutes but that loss is squarely on our under achieving offensive line and the lack of a pass rush.

Agreed!

Agree the sky is not falling . We limped through the last two games against teams who have legit super bowl aspirations . With a o line in shambles a new qb who missed alot of reps in training camp a hobbled Leonard no number 1 receiver . Overall this could have been so much worse not hitting the panic button yet .

38 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

The offense will get better as the season goes on....its the defense that worries me.

46 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

Yeah, Carson played his butt off...the team/playcalling let him down.

50 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

He is part of the problem but a small part. He takes too long to get rid of the ball and he tries to extend plays he should give up on and throw the ball away or just go down on a play like the one that injured him. If he doesn't do that, he will always be injured. We went through that with Luck and look what happened. I could see the same thing happening to Wentz.

9 minutes ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

He is part of the problem but a small part. He takes too long to get rid of the ball and he tries to extend plays he should give up on and throw the ball away or just go down on a play like the one that injured him. If he doesn't do that, he will always be injured. We went through that with Luck and look what happened. I could see the same thing happening to Wentz.

He was getting hit yesterday two seconds after the snap.  That’s not holding the ball too long that’s not having having time to throw.  

20 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

He was getting hit yesterday two seconds after the snap.  That’s not holding the ball too long that’s not having having time to throw.  

20 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Then you ground the ball, hit the ground and cover up. If you don't you get injured and knocked out the game just like what happened. I doubt he ever got hit in two seconds but I don't have a stop watch.

2 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

We already know he isn't the problem. The only people complaining about him are Eagle fans, Wentz twitter haters, and people who just blame wentz to help them feel better at night...

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

Reich just said that there has been pass Pass protection issues but it’s not all on who you think. That leads to WR, TE, and RB not blocking well and wenhz not getting players in the right protections.

Sounds like Reich is blaming everyone else except himself. He's been making mistakes since 2018 when we put up 21 points on Houston in the first half and couldn't score anything in the second half of the playoffs

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

Reich just said that there has been pass Pass protection issues but it’s not all on who you think. That leads to WR, TE, and RB not blocking well and wenhz not getting players in the right protections.

Frank said carson isn't getting the guys in the right protection?     Can I get a link to that?

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Frank said carson isn't getting the guys in the right protection?     Can I get a link to that?

No he just said that it wasn’t what everyone thinks and not all on the oline. He said many things go into it. I added that other part because those would be the other issues. Any fan knows the other guys also have to block well for pass protection to be good. If anyone wants to add what other things it could be outside the oline he was talking about feel free. You can listen to it on the colts podcast. It’s on their ap.

14 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

Sounds like Reich is blaming everyone else except himself. He's been making mistakes since 2018 when we put up 21 points on Houston in the first half and couldn't score anything in the second half of the playoffs

Yep. Reich has killed any remaining passion I've had for this team since Luck retired. Luck, the injuries, the terrible coaching, and this team is no fun to root for. Add to the fact that Reich probably won't get fired for a few more years because he and Ballard just got extended and the possibility of no first round pick next year (depending on how much Wentz plays), and this team has no future IMO.

3 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

Thank you!     It’s been right in front of our eyes and I’ve been waiting for somebody to say it.     So, thank you.       :thmup:

If Wentz can stay healthy, easier said than done,  than we should have our quarterback.   The man has some skills.   

Appreciate you making this post.  Hope it turns into a good thread.    :colts:

2 hours ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

Then you ground the ball, hit the ground and cover up. If you don't you get injured and knocked out the game just like what happened. I doubt he ever got hit in two seconds but I don't have a stop watch.

He didn’t have time to do that.  First of all grounding it is a penalty in that situation and they are going to finish the hit because they already started it because they were on him so fast.  Second they had hands on him before he had a chance to get down. 

I am not making the two seconds up.  Vilma pointed it out in game and showed it.  

56 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

Reich always says they have to coach better.  So no he’s not blaming everyone but himself.  You can argue he’s not doing a good enough job that’s fair but to say he’s blaming everyone but himself is simply not true.

45 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

No he just said that it wasn’t what everyone thinks and not all on the oline. He said many things go into it. I added that other part because those would be the other issues. Any fan knows the other guys also have to block well for pass protection to be good. If anyone wants to add what other things it could be outside the oline he was talking about feel free. You can listen to it on the colts podcast. It’s on their ap.

So you're putting words into the coaches mouth..    again.  

10 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

He didn’t have time to do that.  First of all grounding it is a penalty in that situation and they are going to finish the hit because they already started it because they were on him so fast.  Second they had hands on him before he had a chance to get down. 

I am not making the two seconds up.  Vilma pointed it out in game and showed it.  

That isn't what I saw. I saw him throw the ball away so it was an incomplete pass. You can always throw a pass in the dirt but better yet to just drop to the ground and cover up. He should have done those things many times and he didn't. The result is he was injured and he does us no good now. Live to play another day.

4 minutes ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

That isn't what I saw. I saw him throw the ball away so it was an incomplete pass. You can always throw a pass in the dirt but better yet to just drop to the ground and cover up. He should have done those things many times and he didn't. The result is he was injured and he does us no good now. Live to play another day.

No you can’t always just throw it into the ground.  If you do that with a d lineman baring down on you for a sack that’s the very definition of intentional grounding.  In order to get rid of it you have to get out of the tackle box and throw it past the line of scrimmage.  If you could just throw it into the ground QBs would do that to avoid sacks all the time.

The coaches need to do a better job scheming protection. It's pathetic really. How many times do we have to watch Julian Davenport completely whiff a block or get flat backed? I want to see more TE help on the line, RB staying in the backfield to block, and more screens. 

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

No you can’t always just throw it into the ground.  If you do that with a d lineman baring down on you for a sack that’s the very definition of intentional grounding.  In order to get rid of it you have to get out of the tackle box and throw it past the line of scrimmage.  If you could just throw it into the ground QBs would do that to avoid sacks all the time.

I know what intentional grounding is. But you can throw it out of bounds or just go down and cover up and avoid the hit. Luck couldn't do that either. It ended his career.

Wentz has indeed been a part of the problem.  He flashes moments of great plays but he’s been absolutely terrible in the majority of clutch moments.  Be it fumbling 4th and 1 QB sneaks or keeping 3rd and 1 RPO calls and getting ineligible downfield calls on our line, he has not been very clutch. Go re-watch the plays where he takes the biggest hits in the last 2 games.  There were guys running wide open.  He’s been hesitant or misreading the defense and then going into scramble mode and taking kill shots trying to extend the plays.  

An example is on the Donald injury play.  He looks to Doyle over the middle (good read if you throw it immediately) but I think the better read was to the outsides because the corners were playing 10 yards off and the underneath defenders were in tight and shading towards the middle.  Both Pittman and Hines were open to either side.  He chose Doyle but double clutched instead of pulling the trigger or immediately going to Pittman or Hines as his hots.  He held the ball and got injured on the play.  A similar play happened in game 1 where he was sandwiched.  Lucky not to be injured on that one.  There were many other plays like that.

Wentz has just been very unsure of what he’s seeing on some key downs and those few plays have killed momentum and drives or taken  great chances for points off the board.  I’m not trying to pile on him but he has not been clutch when it’s mattered most (3rd & 4th downs).  He’s fearless though like Luck was as far as not going down without a fight.  He’s made some good throws  and had some great scrambles but he’s also been very reckless.  

I’m also not sure he’s very good at reading defenses.  Seems very tight end dependent.  Needs that guy open right in front of him.  Maybe we need to go get Ertz if Wentz is gonna be our starter?  Give him a tight end he’s got great chemistry with because he keeps looking for Doyle as a 1st read and then is often hesitant to pull the trigger when others were better options on the plays.  

I can understand why Frank is saying the line played better and wasn’t as bad as game 1 (they weren’t as bad there either).  If the QB makes the right reads and gets the ball out, he’s not taking half of the big hits he’s endured so far.  At least not to the magnitude that some of them have been.  Someone asked Frank if he thought things “got better” pre & post snap from game 1 to 2.  I swear it seemed like half a second pause where those Wentz critical misreads flashed through his mind…  Lol.  Then he says unenthusiastically that they got better (they did because Wentz learned how to use Pittman on slants & crossers this game.  Ironically not on the play where he got injured.  Go figure.)  

Frank did not sound like it was an issue that was nearly solved…. Now we’re 0-2 and going to our division rival’s house and Frank is starting to take a lot more heat for his play calling and 4th down calls.  When he knows that if Wentz made just a few more correct reads on a couple key 3rd & 4th downs and extended drives, that we could be 2-0.  But the QB is getting a pass by everyone and the missed field goal chances & O-line are getting more of the blame.  Fair enough on the field goals.  The line does deserve some blame but so does Wentz.  And he’s gotta improve if this team is gonna beat good teams.  Problem is he needs reps to improve and now he’s gonna be out and missing more needed reps with his weapons.  Poor guy might just be snake bit…

34 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

So you're putting words into the coaches mouth..    again.  

No I wasn’t putting words in his mouth. I probably could of posted that better. I just said what Reich said about it being other things. Then I listed what those things might be. I don’t like when people post stuff and redo quotes to fit a narrative. It’s a huge pet peeve of mine. I would never do that on purpose because that ticks me off. I just didn’t word it as good as I could have. 

16 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Wentz has indeed been a part of the problem.  He flashes moments of great plays but he’s been absolutely terrible in the majority of clutch moments.  Be it fumbling 4th and 1 QB sneaks or keeping 3rd and 1 RPO calls and getting ineligible downfield calls on our line, he has not been very clutch. Go re-watch the plays where he takes the biggest hits in the last 2 games.  There were guys running wide open.  He’s been hesitant or misreading the defense and then going into scramble mode and taking kill shots trying to extend the plays.  

An example is on the Donald injury play.  He looks to Doyle over the middle (good read if you throw it immediately) but I think the better read was to the outsides because the corners were playing 10 yards off and the underneath defenders were in tight and shading towards the middle.  Both Pittman and Hines were open to either side.  He chose Doyle but double clutched instead of pulling the trigger or immediately going to Pittman or Hines as his hots.  He held the ball and got injured on the play.  A similar play happened in game 1 where he was sandwiched.  Lucky not to be injured on that one.  There were many other plays like that.

Wentz has just been very unsure of what he’s seeing on some key downs and those few plays have killed momentum and drives or taken  great chances for points off the board.  I’m not trying to pile on him but he has not been clutch when it’s mattered most (3rd & 4th downs).  He’s fearless though like Luck was as far as not going down without a fight.  He’s made some good throws  and had some great scrambles but he’s also been very reckless.  

I’m also not sure he’s very good at reading defenses.  Seems very tight end dependent.  Needs that guy open right in front of him.  Maybe we need to go get Ertz if Wentz is gonna be our starter?  Give him a tight end he’s got great chemistry with because he keeps looking for Doyle as a 1st read and then is often hesitant to pull the trigger when others were better options on the plays.  

I can understand why Frank is saying the line played better and wasn’t as bad as game 1 (they weren’t as bad there either).  If the QB makes the right reads and gets the ball out, he’s not taking half of the big hits he’s endured so far.  At least not to the magnitude that some of them have been.  Someone asked Frank if he thought things “got better” pre & post snap from game 1 to 2.  I swear it seemed like half a second pause where those Wentz critical misreads flashed through his mind…  Lol.  Then he says unenthusiastically that they got better (they did because Wentz learned how to use Pittman on slants & crossers this game.  Ironically not on the play where he got injured.  Go figure.)  

Frank did not sound like it was an issue that was nearly solved…. Now we’re 0-2 and going to our division rival’s house and Frank is starting to take a lot more heat for his play calling and 4th down calls.  When he knows that if Wentz made just a few more correct reads on a couple key 3rd & 4th downs and extended drives, that we could be 2-0.  But the QB is getting a pass by everyone and the missed field goal chances & O-line are getting more of the blame.  Fair enough on the field goals.  The line does deserve some blame but so does Wentz.  And he’s gotta improve if this team is gonna beat good teams.  Problem is he needs reps to improve and now he’s gonna be out and missing more needed reps with his weapons.  Poor guy might just be snake bit…

This is a great post. Some of this might just be the lack of practice time and reps with the offense. We will need to see this improve as the year goes on. Yes our tackles are bad but Kelly. Smith and Glow didn’t all of s sudden get this bad. Also he isn’t getting players in the right protection calls.

We have a lot of problems right now. Overall Wentz has played above average football on my scale anyway. Has he been good-great I would say no but better than average. The problem I have had with him so far is, he is not seeing field well. In week 1 he had Hines wide open on that 4th down play and didn't even see him, yesterday he had Pittman wide open for an easy TD and didn't see him. Our O.Line played a bit better yesterday but still below average for their standards so they are not doing Wentz any favors. Nelson has did his part but Kelley and Glow have been disappointing.

The problem with the pass protection is Ryan Kelly is playing more hurt than we knew and whatever side Davenport is on.  Wentz is the exact QB we needed these first two weeks, any other QB would have been murdered by now.  Hopefully he recovers fast from his ankle(s) we need him if we are going to get back into the mix.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We have a lot of problems right now. Overall Wentz has played above average football on my scale anyway. Has he been good-great I would say no but better than average. The problem I have had with him so far is, he is not seeing field well. In week 1 he had Hines wide open on that 4th down play and didn't even see him, yesterday he had Pittman wide open for an easy TD and didn't see him. Our O.Line played a bit better yesterday but still below average for their standards so they are not doing Wentz any favors. Nelson has did his part but Kelley and Glow have been disappointing.

Hopefully we will look back at this in a couple months and it turns out it’s just all the camp Wentz missed.

Just now, Bluesmith said:

The problem with the pass protection is Ryan Kelly is playing more hurt than we knew and whatever side Davenport is on.  Wentz is the exact QB we needed these first two weeks, any other QB would have been murdered by now.  Hopefully he recovers fast from his ankle(s) we need him if we are going to get back into the mix.

I wouldn’t say that. Rivers would diagnosis defenses before ball is snapped and have it out. We can’t say Wentz is not part of it because he is a part of it. How much we dont really know because we don’t know how much he changing the play or privy to Reich going over film with him.

Archived