Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Carson Wentz is NOT the problem

indyagent17

9 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I wouldn’t say that. Rivers would diagnosis defenses before ball is snapped and have it out. We can’t say Wentz is not part of it because he is a part of it. How much we dont really know because we don’t know how much he changing the play or privy to Reich going over film with him.

Rivers got the ball out quick but I highly doubt this. If you watch the first 2 games again you will see the only reason Carson has even 2 seconds is because he side steps and throws a curve ball on a majority of his passes. This is something Rivers cannot do. Carson has made the most out of nothing these past 2 weeks.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, bsteves said:

Rivers got the ball out quick but I highly doubt this. If you watch the first 2 games again you will see the only reason Carson has even 2 seconds is because he side steps and throws a curve ball on a majority of his passes. This is something Rivers cannot do. Carson has made the most out of nothing these past 2 weeks.

If fans don’t understand how much a QB has to get the offense out of a bad play I don’t know what to say. A coach can send in a play but it’s up to the qb to change it if he doesn’t like what he sees from the defense. I think there is a lot of truth to rivers making making Reich look better then he was because rivers would audible out of some of his bad play calls to a better play when he sees the defense. It’s the QB job to also get the players in the right protections. Everything goes Into pass protection.I mean does everyone think Kelly glow and smith just got bad all of a sudden.

5 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

If fans don’t understand how much a QB has to get the offense out of a bad play I don’t know what to say. A coach can send in a play but it’s up to the qb to change it if he doesn’t like what he sees from the defense. I think there is a lot of truth to rivers making making Reich look better then he was because rivers would audible out of some of his bad play calls to a better play when he sees the defense. It’s the QB job to also get the players in the right protections. Everything goes Into pass protection.I mean does everyone think Kelly glow and smith just got bad all of a sudden.

Good post, I understand it and that is why I loved Rivers as our QB. Rivers is on par with Brady and Peyton as far reading defenses pre-snap and then knowing where to throw the ball quickly. He wasn't as great as those QB's all-time but on par in that category.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Good post, I understand it and that is why I loved Rivers as our QB. Rivers is on par with Brady and Peyton as far reading defenses pre-snap and then knowing where to throw the ball quickly. He wasn't as great as those QB's all-time but on par in that category.

Do you remember the Browns game last year where Rivers struggled because he was under fire all game?  That’s what Wentz has been facing the first two weeks of the season. If rivers were still here he would be struggling like the Browns game because he can’t escape.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Reich has said numerous times how his QB has to be able to do all these things.  Reich clearly knows Wentz can do this of he wouldn’t of been a option. I thinks it’s just a learning exercise right now in a new offense.

Everyone saying Reich isn’t helping the tackle. Well maybe it’s Wentz not getting the players where they need to be. It’s all very understandable being in a new offense and no TC it’s going yo take awhile.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Do you remember the Browns game last year where Rivers struggled because he was under fire all game?  That’s what Wentz has been facing the first two weeks of the season. If rivers were still here he would be struggling like the Browns game because he can’t escape.

Not the same. Rivers tried to play hero ball that game. He settled in and learned after that game he didn’t have to be a hero.

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

There were also plenty of games where he got the ball quick due to reading defenses. Of course Rivers has a game here or there where he fails to do it but he usually is great pre-snap was my point.

33 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

This is a fan base that had Peyton Manning. Calling audibles is nothing new. Changing the the play at the LOS won't do much if the line completely breaks down on you.

5 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

I just re-watched the game. And I saw most of the saw our quarterback being harassed all day. The flip pass at the goal line was not his fault Donald made an exceptional play. Carson avoided at least 6 sacks but managed to escape. When he had time he was sharp and on target. Who knows what may have happened in the last 2 minutes but that loss is squarely on our under achieving offensive line and the lack of a pass rush.

I suffered through a rewatch (suffering because I had to stream from an out of state DVR lol)....

Carson has to improve in some areas, no doubt, but folks expecting him to make every single play when he's also having to keep one eye on his backside, is pretty ridiculous. People picking at the ankle play are other-world delusional right now. Was there an open guy, sure. So..... He's getting sacked on that play even if he makes the pass. Some of the other plays people are picking at is silly too. Heck, even Reich explained one yet folks still don't get it.

At the end of the day, our OL sucks. You can't expect a QB to play at an elite level under those conditions. And that's on top of folks ignoring the blatant obvious things like it's only his second game in the new scheme with new pass catchers (two starters who were out too).... And he's still healing his freaking foot.....

The expectations of some are off the hook silly. 

57 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Not the same. Rivers tried to play hero ball that game. He settled in and learned after that game he didn’t have to be a hero.

That has nothing to do with what I was saying.  My point was Rivers was under fire all game that game.  That’s not hero ball that’s what pressure does it makes you make bad decisions.  It’s also what Wentz has been facing the past two weeks he just has the mobility to escape it which Rivers didn’t.  If Rivers had play the past two weeks you would have seen performances similar to what you you saw in the Browns game.  Don’t believe me?  Look back over his career Rivers bad games come when he didn’t have protection.  Protection is why he went from looking like a shell of himself with the Chargers to really good here again outside of the Browns game where there was massive protection issues.  

58 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

There were also plenty of games where he got the ball quick due to reading defenses. Of course Rivers has a game here or there where he fails to do it but he usually is great pre-snap was my point.

You can’t get the ball out quick if you are getting hit within two seconds of the snap like Wentz was on Sunday.  This isn’t an issue with Wentz not reading the defense or failing to pick up blitzes or changing plays, it’s guys shredding their blocks and hitting him or making him move before he has a chance to do something.  Even Peyton Manning would have major issues with the lack of protection this line is providing right now.

What I don’t understand is why are people trying so hard to excuse the very poor play of the line and blame Wentz.  If it was just Wentz it wouldn’t be showing up in the run game too.  Taylor was held to 51 yards and a 3.4 YPC last week.  Mack only had 16 yards with a 3.2 YPC.  In the Seahawks game Taylor only had 56 yards with a 3.3 YPC. 

People need to stop trying to over think this.  The line is struggling and that’s the issue.  It’s to be expected with all the injuries they had.  Not to pat myself on the back but I said a couple of weeks ago I feared a slow start because of the injuries.  Well unfortunately we are seeing it.

20 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

You can’t get the ball out quick if you are getting hit within two seconds of the snap like Wentz was on Sunday.  This isn’t an issue with Wentz not reading the defense or failing to pick up blitzes or changing plays, it’s guys shredding their blocks and hitting him or making him move before he has a chance to do something.  Even Peyton Manning would have major issues with the lack of protection this line is providing right now.

What I don’t understand is why are people trying so hard to excuse the very poor play of the line and blame Wentz.  If it was just Wentz it wouldn’t be showing up in the run game too.  Taylor was held to 51 yards and a 3.4 YPC last week.  Mack only had 16 yards with a 3.2 YPC.  In the Seahawks game Taylor only had 56 yards with a 3.3 YPC. 

People need to stop trying to over think this.  The line is struggling and that’s the issue.  It’s to be expected with all the injuries they had.  Not to pat myself on the back but I said a couple of weeks ago I feared a slow start because of the injuries.  Well unfortunately we are seeing it.

Actually I have posted several times that the O.Line has played below average for their standards. All I have really said negatively about Wentz is, he has had guys open and could've got them the ball and he isn't seeing them.

6 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Reich has said numerous times how his QB has to be able to do all these things.  Reich clearly knows Wentz can do this of he wouldn’t of been a option. I thinks it’s just a learning exercise right now in a new offense.

Everyone saying Reich isn’t helping the tackle. Well maybe it’s Wentz not getting the players where they need to be. It’s all very understandable being in a new offense and no TC it’s going yo take awhile.

You can't be serious in thinking that is Wentz's fault. Besides, Wentz was brought in because of his familiarity with Reich's offense (just like Rivers was) 

Leaving Davenport on and island 1v1 on Donald is not on Wentz. It happened multiple, multiple times throughout the game. 

I mean, they didn't even chip with TE's/RB's. 

If you are the coaching staff watching your backup tackle struggle throughout the game, and you refuse to do anything about it, that is simply being either stubborn or asinine. 

Davenport (backup LT who is playing RT - and not good at either position) was going up against arguably the best D-Lineman in the game today and you give poor Davenport NO HELP. That is 100% a coaching issue not putting their player(s) in the correct scenario/matchup. 

Heck, even the Rams figured out when they were lining Donald up against Big Q and Big Q was handling him well. They said, oh well let's put Donald over against the backup tackle....and we all saw what happened. That's coaching putting their players in the correct scenario/matchup to succeed. 

2 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

You can't be serious in thinking that is Wentz's fault. Besides, Wentz was brought in because of his familiarity with Reich's offense (just like Rivers was) 

Leaving Davenport on and island 1v1 on Donald is not on Wentz. It happened multiple, multiple times throughout the game. 

I mean, they didn't even chip with TE's/RB's. 

If you are the coaching staff watching your backup tackle struggle throughout the game, and you refuse to do anything about it, that is simply being either stubborn or asinine. 

Davenport (backup LT who is playing RT - and not good at either position) was going up against arguably the best D-Lineman in the game today and you give poor Davenport NO HELP. That is 100% a coaching issue not putting their player(s) in the correct scenario/matchup. 

Heck, even the Rams figured out when they were lining Donald up against Big Q and Big Q was handling him well. They said, oh well let's put Donald over against the backup tackle....and we all saw what happened. That's coaching putting their players in the correct scenario/matchup to succeed. 

I never said it was all his fault. But these things can be contributing factors.

12 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Wentz has indeed been a part of the problem.  He flashes moments of great plays but he’s been absolutely terrible in the majority of clutch moments.  Be it fumbling 4th and 1 QB sneaks or keeping 3rd and 1 RPO calls and getting ineligible downfield calls on our line, he has not been very clutch. Go re-watch the plays where he takes the biggest hits in the last 2 games.  There were guys running wide open.  He’s been hesitant or misreading the defense and then going into scramble mode and taking kill shots trying to extend the plays.  

An example is on the Donald injury play.  He looks to Doyle over the middle (good read if you throw it immediately) but I think the better read was to the outsides because the corners were playing 10 yards off and the underneath defenders were in tight and shading towards the middle.  Both Pittman and Hines were open to either side.  He chose Doyle but double clutched instead of pulling the trigger or immediately going to Pittman or Hines as his hots.  He held the ball and got injured on the play.  A similar play happened in game 1 where he was sandwiched.  Lucky not to be injured on that one.  There were many other plays like that.

Wentz has just been very unsure of what he’s seeing on some key downs and those few plays have killed momentum and drives or taken  great chances for points off the board.  I’m not trying to pile on him but he has not been clutch when it’s mattered most (3rd & 4th downs).  He’s fearless though like Luck was as far as not going down without a fight.  He’s made some good throws  and had some great scrambles but he’s also been very reckless.  

I’m also not sure he’s very good at reading defenses.  Seems very tight end dependent.  Needs that guy open right in front of him.  Maybe we need to go get Ertz if Wentz is gonna be our starter?  Give him a tight end he’s got great chemistry with because he keeps looking for Doyle as a 1st read and then is often hesitant to pull the trigger when others were better options on the plays.  

I can understand why Frank is saying the line played better and wasn’t as bad as game 1 (they weren’t as bad there either).  If the QB makes the right reads and gets the ball out, he’s not taking half of the big hits he’s endured so far.  At least not to the magnitude that some of them have been.  Someone asked Frank if he thought things “got better” pre & post snap from game 1 to 2.  I swear it seemed like half a second pause where those Wentz critical misreads flashed through his mind…  Lol.  Then he says unenthusiastically that they got better (they did because Wentz learned how to use Pittman on slants & crossers this game.  Ironically not on the play where he got injured.  Go figure.)  

Frank did not sound like it was an issue that was nearly solved…. Now we’re 0-2 and going to our division rival’s house and Frank is starting to take a lot more heat for his play calling and 4th down calls.  When he knows that if Wentz made just a few more correct reads on a couple key 3rd & 4th downs and extended drives, that we could be 2-0.  But the QB is getting a pass by everyone and the missed field goal chances & O-line are getting more of the blame.  Fair enough on the field goals.  The line does deserve some blame but so does Wentz.  And he’s gotta improve if this team is gonna beat good teams.  Problem is he needs reps to improve and now he’s gonna be out and missing more needed reps with his weapons.  Poor guy might just be snake bit…

Agree. Wentz is definitely not the biggest problem on this team, but this idea that the Colts failed him is getting silly. I heard a podcast where they ranted about that for like 15 mins. What a ridiculous narrative. Are we already at the point where we are throwing everybody under the bus, except Wentz?

The OL is missing a key player, but it didn't inexplicably get terrible overnight. They are not playing well, but there is definitely more to it than that. Much like last year when PHI's OL graded out higher than Wentz's sack rate would suggest.

But I think he has played about as I expected. He has some nice mobility and a good arm, but he also struggles at key moments as well. He's not this great QB who has been held back by the OL or playcalling. The eye test doesn't match that...and the stats definitely don't. With an improved OL, perhaps we can expect him to improve to that 15-20 range of QBs with how's he been playing, which is probably the level of QB play for an 8-9 win team unfortunately.

18 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

I just re-watched the game. And I saw most of the saw our quarterback being harassed all day. The flip pass at the goal line was not his fault Donald made an exceptional play. Carson avoided at least 6 sacks but managed to escape. When he had time he was sharp and on target. Who knows what may have happened in the last 2 minutes but that loss is squarely on our under achieving offensive line and the lack of a pass rush.

I did not see the game but I strongly agree with your last sentence.

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

One of the things I am thinking is Wentz is having a hard time seeing where the rush is coming from before the ball is snapped and isn’t getting the TE and RB in the right places.  

That has nothing to do with the Tackles, Guards, and Centers getting knocked around constantly through the game. It’s not like they are blitzing every down. They are literally beating them easy with 4 man fronts. You shouldn’t need a back or tight end to chip or block in those situations 

I mean, as the QB you are always going to have a sizable brunt of the teams performance on your shoulder, good or bad. The bad part is when fans think that the QB is the sole indicator of how the team plays, and that just isn't the case.. He's been good, but has had a few issues for sure between calling protections and a few turnovers. It being his first year here+ missing TC + all the injuries are going to affect him and the chemistry he has with the offense atm. Like PM said on MNF, its all about reps for these QBs.

I'll only be confident in Wentz once I know he shows he can will the team to victory with his play. There are too many QBs now in the NFL that can do that for their team nowadays, and if any team wants a chance to win the SB, you have to have that guy. Hopefully with time, Wentz can prove he can be that dude. If he has a run game worth a damn, I think he takes that next step with us.

14 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

It’s been two weeks…

Yet some here think Wentz should be up to par already. Of course he’s a bit of the problem. Everyone is to blame, some more than others including the coaches. But Wentz had 5 practices before his first game with a new team. Give the guy sone time 

9 minutes ago, ryta1203 said:

I think Wentz is fooling a lot of people into thinking the OL is worse than it is as he takes off running very early, before the pocket really starts to collapse. 

We must be watching two different teams then. An oline only needs one part wonky to mess up everyone else's responsibilities and focus. Davenport was utterly manhandled this Sunday by Donald, and that will add pressure to the guards to help him out, which will affect their own performance.

That isn't to mention Nelson's back injury that is probably limiting how much he can move to help the run game. Our run game has also looked far worse then last year, and that certainly doesn't directly have to do with Wentz.

13 minutes ago, colts89 said:

We must be watching two different teams then. An oline only needs one part wonky to mess up everyone else's responsibilities and focus. Davenport was utterly manhandled this Sunday by Donald, and that will add pressure to the guards to help him out, which will affect their own performance.

That isn't to mention Nelson's back injury that is probably limiting how much he can move to help the run game. Our run game has also looked far worse then last year, and that certainly doesn't directly have to do with Wentz.

Wentz is not comfortable in the pocket, he takes off running the first chance he gets, instead of moving inside it or moving up.

50 minutes ago, ryta1203 said:

Wentz is not comfortable in the pocket, he takes off running the first chance he gets, instead of moving inside it or moving up.

1 hour ago, ryta1203 said:

I think Wentz is fooling a lot of people into thinking the OL is worse than it is as he takes off running very early, before the pocket really starts to collapse. 

Definitely not what I've been seeing. The oline has been getting worked rather quickly and Wentz has saved more sacks then he probably should have. I mean maybe a couple times he's gotten anxious too early but hard to blame him as many times as he's been hit already.

Carson is playing every bit as good as we could have hoped.  He's getting injured because our O-line went from best to terrible conveniently after everyone got paid (I know that's not the reason - everyone is hurt).  Wentz was expecting to have time to survive but he's just reliving the terror of Philly from last year right now.

Thank goodness we don't play the Rams again.

I just rewatched the game as well. Almost all of the sacks and hurries on Wentz came from Donald (and some of the other Rams Dline) just absolutely destroying Glowinski and Davenport.

He didn't hold on to the ball and Donald eventually got to him as so many people have emotionally reacted. There were at least 4 qb pressures where Donald literally tossed Glowinski and Davenport and was in front of Wentz in a matter of a second, and Wentz did some great Houdini work to escape many of those situations. Kelly didn't seem great either, but he was pretty serviceable. Nelson did a great job In pass protection and Fisher played well enough that Nelson wasn't forced to help him all game like game 1 vs Seattle with Davenport.

Smith was our second highest rated OL member last year by pff, ahead of Castonzo by a little. He let no sacks last year, but he starts off this year with an injured foot and letting a sack and a few pressures. I really think the injury affected how he played week 1 a lot, and if he returns to form, that will let the interior OL not have the extra responsibilities of helping Davenport out and play better as a whole

Wentz needs to get better at decision making whether it is diagnosing the defense or going through his progressions quicker. Having said that, Frank’s play calling, for the most part, has been horrible. Colts offensive game plan has been lethargic and lacked creativity. If the line is not blocking well we should see more 3, 5 and seven step drops coupled with more roll out. The point pt is to get Wentz off the spot. I’m wondering if losing Sirianni from the staff is having a larger impact than what some believed.

he has talent for sure, but he will not play much and will always be out with a injury with this team.  our not protecting QBs is a problem and will be with him for sure he is fragile.  but this team is not improving with this leadership stagnant like Pagano and co. was. CW played his Falco heart out, did enough to win with what he had hope he heals fast. 

1 hour ago, BlackTiger said:

Im not convinced he is the solution. Hes missed quite a few games in 5 years now, and couldn't even stay on the practice field here.  It took just two game to get hurt 

He is clearly talented but im skeptical that this will work out 

Actually he hasn’t missed that many. He was fortunate the ACL came at the end of the season. Last season was not due to injury. He has not missed a game due to injury in two years.

On 9/21/2021 at 1:16 PM, ryta1203 said:

i rewatched the tape on both games wentz usually only took off when the pocket was collapsing . Actually the first game he stayed in the pocket taking hits while throwing instead of running because that was the game plan .

On 9/21/2021 at 12:02 AM, Wentzszn said:

what hero ball is wentz playing ?  he non stop checked it down both games even frank said they had many deep passes called and wentz read the coverage and checked it down .   the whole two weeks was wentz doing what rivers did last year being a game manager and it was not good enough .  the only times he played hero ball was on some runs when the pocket got destroyed .

Go back and rewatch every 3rd or 4th down play.  Wentz has personally been bad on half of those critical plays.  At least half. RPO, fumbled QB sneak, missing plenty of open receivers by misreading the defense, and another I noticed last game was on the early missed throw to Hines.  Perfect play call.  Sneaking Hines on the underneath slant.  Wide open, perfect throwing lane as the line parts like the Red Sea and Wentz throws it high resulting in another stalled drive…

Those kinds of plays kill drives &  and change the ultimate outcomes of games.  You can’t be a good QB if you suck on 3rd & 4th downs.  I need to see Wentz improve in these clutch areas if we’re gonna have any chance of winning today or much this season.  What he’s been doing so far clearly hasn’t been good enough. 

17 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Go back and rewatch every 3rd or 4th down play.  Wentz has personally been bad on half of those critical plays.  At least half. RPO, fumbled QB sneak, missing plenty of open receivers by misreading the defense, and another I noticed last game was on the early missed throw to Hines.  Perfect play call.  Sneaking Hines on the underneath slant.  Wide open, perfect throwing lane as the line parts like the Red Sea and Wentz throws it high resulting in another stalled drive…

Those kinds of plays kill drives &  and change the ultimate outcomes of games.  You can’t be a good QB if you suck on 3rd & 4th downs.  I need to see Wentz improve in these clutch areas if we’re gonna have any chance of winning today or much this season.  What he’s been doing so far clearly hasn’t been good enough. 

I rewatched both games. 

Rewatching the Rams game again now.

I'll just say you can't divorce all the other stuff going on, and laser focus on Wentz missing this or that.

I can nitpick just about every QB out there on every 3rd down miss for not seeing something, or doing something different.

Fact is, he's been under siege all game every game. That impacts a QB, especially one who already is playing through a foot surgery. Two of his starting WRs are out, so to expect him to have perfect chemistry in a new scheme is pretty foolish at this point. And to add and be frank, the D isn't helping.

Expecting a guy to go all superman and be perfect in our current situation just isn't reality. Sure he can improve. But we've got much bigger issues than Wentz, or his 3rd down play.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

I rewatched both games. 

Rewatching the Rams game again now.

I'll just say you can't divorce all the other stuff going on, and laser focus on Wentz missing this or that.

I can nitpick just about every QB out there on every 3rd down miss for not seeing something, or doing something different.

Fact is, he's been under siege all game every game. That impacts a QB, especially one who already is playing through a foot surgery. Two of his starting WRs are out, so to expect him to have perfect chemistry in a new scheme is pretty foolish at this point. And to add and be frank, the D isn't helping.

Expecting a guy to go all superman and be perfect in our current situation just isn't reality. Sure he can improve. But we've got much bigger issues than Wentz, or his 3rd down play.

Of course Wentz isn’t the only one not playing up to potential. The O Line, defense, & Frank gotta get better too.  And of course you can nitpick any QB on “some” 3rd downs but unfortunately it’s been more consistent failures with Wentz on 3rd & 4th downs. I’m not expecting him to have perfect chemistry but he’s no rookie and the majority of plays I’m talking about weren’t high level throws.  They were simple quick ins to Pittman, or drag/crosser to Pascal, or quick slant to Hines…. Easier throws & reads for a 5-6 year veteran QB.  

I just think it’s foolish to say a QB is playing good and is not a part of the problem when he’s not performing well on 3rd & 4th downs.  Those are the money downs.  You’re not gonna beat good teams when you don’t extend drives or score when you’re in the red zone.  Football is symbiotic. The offense and defense have to pick each other up at times.  Granted our defense has not been good but they have made key stops and gotten key turnovers in both games and our offense (Wentz, O Line, & Reich) has squandered most of those chances.  

On my rewatches, I’ve seen 2 games ,despite our poor overall play, that were winnable.  If Carson extends just a couple of those drives, we could easily be 2-0 or at least 1-1.  It’s time for Carson & Frank to get on the same page and start consistently coming through in the clutch.  The plays were there to be made.  Carson just needs to get the ball out on time and on target and execute on 3rd & 4th downs.  

I have a feeling he & Frank are gonna get on the same page today & he’s gonna put it all together.  Carson’s gonna get his first win as a Colt and we’re gonna go on a tear and rise back up towards the top of the AFC over the next few weeks.  Starting with the titans today.  :rock::colts:

5 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Of course Wentz isn’t the only one not playing up to potential. The O Line, defense, & Frank gotta get better too.  And of course you can nitpick any QB on “some” 3rd downs but unfortunately it’s been more consistent failures with Wentz on 3rd & 4th downs. I’m not expecting him to have perfect chemistry but he’s no rookie and the majority of plays I’m talking about weren’t high level throws.  They were simple quick ins to Pittman, or drag/crosser to Pascal, or quick slant to Hines…. Easier throws & reads for a 5-6 year veteran QB.  

I just think it’s foolish to say a QB is playing good and is not a part of the problem when he’s not performing well on 3rd & 4th downs.  Those are the money downs.  You’re not gonna beat good teams when you don’t extend drives or score when you’re in the red zone.  Football is symbiotic. The offense and defense have to pick each other up at times.  Granted our defense has not been good but they have made key stops and gotten key turnovers in both games and our offense (Wentz, O Line, & Reich) has squandered most of those chances.  

On my rewatches, I’ve seen 2 games ,despite our poor overall play, that were winnable.  If Carson extends just a couple of those drives, we could easily be 2-0 or at least 1-1.  It’s time for Carson & Frank to get on the same page and start consistently coming through in the clutch.  The plays were there to be made.  Carson just needs to get the ball out on time and on target and execute on 3rd & 4th downs.  

I have a feeling he & Frank are gonna get on the same page today & he’s gonna put it all together.  Carson’s gonna get his first win as a Colt and we’re gonna go on a tear and rise back up towards the top of the AFC over the next few weeks.  Starting with the titans today.  :rock::colts:

Not saying Wentz shouldn't do better, I just tend to have different expectations given the current situation. He absolutely needs to improve in areas. But if I had to point at specific things that contributed to our loss, I'd say having a healthy OL to both protect and run block is easily the biggest issue. We haven't had a running game, and most of the pressure has been on the passing game. The OL has basically put a damper on everything on that side of the ball. We're only in a position to win because of Wentz, and STs IMO. D isn't helping much. Running game is invisible. Coaching is questionable. 

21 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Not saying Wentz shouldn't do better, I just tend to have different expectations given the current situation. He absolutely needs to improve in areas. But if I had to point at specific things that contributed to our loss, I'd say having a healthy OL to both protect and run block is easily the biggest issue. We haven't had a running game, and most of the pressure has been on the passing game. The OL has basically put a damper on everything on that side of the ball. We're only in a position to win because of Wentz, and STs IMO. D isn't helping much. Running game is invisible. Coaching is questionable. 

In other words, we have many opportunities to improve? Gotcha!

I don't think it can get much worse. 

Archived