Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wentz updates?

csmopar

Everyone repeats that Wentz is injury prone. Yet there is a thread that he hasn't missed a regular season game in two years. Wentz got hurt this week being tackled after our OLine failed to protect. That can happen to any player on any play. That's not Wentz's fault.  I just hope he doesn't hurt his ankle further by playing.

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, chickenMan said:

You are under arrest for 17 separate violations of the “Must stay on topic” law of 2021. You have the right to remain silent, and the right to only discuss the thread topic.

You know, whenever I see your avatar I think, “Didn’t they blow him up in Philly last night?”

(How many will get that?)

25 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

You know, whenever I see your avatar I think, “Didn’t they blow him up in Philly last night?”

(How many will get that?)

They got the wrong guy with the nail bomb, they’ll never kill me :rock:

That’s not where my username comes from though, to be fair. It’s just a ludicrously stupid name and pfp

10 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Wentz showing up to the game like 

1AF458B0-62AF-4E65-976C-1BE31D6F1422.jpg

Ouch! If Wentz plays good in this game and we get this huge win, I will feel a lot better about him as our QB. That would be a nice notch to have for him. I think in order to win the division we may have to sweep them because of tiebreakers, etc. in the long run.

14 hours ago, GoatBeard said:

This narrative that the Colts somehow wronged Peyton Manning by releasing him is revisionist history and completely laughable. The Colts couldve traded him to a cruddy organization for a mid round pick. They didnt. They let him walk and choose where he wanted to go. 

They did him a huge favor. He landed with a much, much better football team. He got another ring and played in 2 more SBs. Won another MVP.

He does none of that here. None of it. Not only were the Colts a bad football team, they wouldve been worse had they kept Peyton. People forget Robert Mathis and Reggie Wayne wouldve been let go and were only kept because of the cap room created by his release in the first place.

If you truly loved Peyton Manning, you let him move on and add to his legacy. If youre selfish, you whine because hes gone and pretend everything wouldve been better with him. And then you make him finish his career on a bad football team with no shot to win. 

That era had run its course. Everyone was better off by the decisions that were made. Most of all was Manning himself. 

Was it sad? Absolutely.  

It’s even more ridiculous when you consider the context. Manning was hurt all summer and couldn’t even throw a football. Yet, Irsay gave Manning a huge extension in late July. And Manning ultimately got paid to sit that year.

And the $27M roster option (that the Colts ultimately did not exercise, which allowed him to hit FA) was actually insisted upon by Manning and Condon (his agent). 

They also structured it to be a few days BEFORE the league year started, which meant the Colts would have to pick up the option to trade him (since you can’t trade players until the league year starts). And there was no way they could afford to eat that much money. 

The roster option was basically a poison pill to the Colts contract and the structure of it worked as a no-trade clause. And there is no way that was accidental. 

And to your point, that roster was bad. It was full of aging vets with backloaded contracts and little younger talent (from years of poor drafts). Irsay knew a rebuild with a cheap young QB was necessary. And that they needed a year to purge the dead cap from those bad contracts. Manning being here didn’t allow for that…or allow for flexibility going forward. 

And Manning knew the situation as well. So if he wanted to win more rings, it wasn’t going to happen in Indy.

I tend to think he wanted out all along, especially with an impending regime change. And I think Irsay wanted to rebuild. And it worked out well for both. Manning had success that he wouldn’t have had here and cemented his legacy. And Irsay got his rebuild, which resulted in almost immediate success and relevance for the Colts. 

But there is no way the Colts did Manning “dirty.” And I don’t think I would trade those first 3 Luck years for anything short of a SB. Those teams were fun to watch.

14 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

I always though Ugoh sounded like a really bad car model. 

But you're 100% right in that the very best QBs can make lines look much much better than they are from their speed of read and just getting the ball out so fast. Physicality at the position is massively overrated IMO. 

Aside from the Brady vs Manning argument, I think both are the two "smartest" QBs to ever play the game (that also had the physical tools). Not talking about foot speed or agility, just arm + brain. Manning was so good, nobody cared he threw the ball away a lot at times. Nobody cared he'd take a slide instead of getting hit. He took what he could get, and lived to play another down/day. I remember many games when our OL was just getting knocked back on their aces, and Manning would just kill teams underneath on quick stuff, until the rare occasion he had time, and would launch a deep sideline TD. Guy was amazing. 

And yes, really bad car model, and really bad LT lol. 

3 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Looking like Wentz is going to go!! 

Just looked through the maze of tweets.. Depending on who you want to listen to, you can find almost every possible take on this... still..

He want's to try and go, but contingencies if he can't- Irsay- Rapoport is saying something similar but more definitive that he will play

Heard all week he's not going to be able to go- La Can't Fora

I'd assume he will go, but I'm also getting that vibe that at noon a buzz kill could happen.

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

Just looked through the maze of tweets.. Depending on who you want to listen to, you can find almost every possible take on this... still..

He want's to try and go, but contingencies if he can't- Irsay- Rapoport is saying something similar but more definitive that he will play

Heard all week he's not going to be able to go- La Can't Fora

I'd assume he will go, but I'm also getting that vibe that at noon a buzz kill could happen.

Sounds like a game time decision to me.

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Sounds like Irsay needs a nap. 

I felt like saying something along the same lines, but stopped myself.. 

So he's made some comments lately on Wentz... This one, and seemed like he went out of his way to make it a point that Reich pushed for Wentz....  Trouble in paradise already.... If I was Wentz, I'd be having a chat with Frank and Chris. This is not a topic (nor was it relevant) you toss out there when you look half popped. I know there are some Irsay sunshine pumpers out there (and I like him too most of the time), but he's been common-sense-challenged for a lot of his life. Great heart for the most part, but not always the a perfect citizen nor the most stately speaker. 

29 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Bringing up vaccination status was so weird. This is Jim though. He tends to say crazy things.

Not really.  Of I'm paying an employee millions, and they make a decision I think takes them down a notch reliability wise, I'd probably feel free to make that statement just like Jim did.  Not being vaxed is a choice, but freedom of choice doesn't mean freedom from all criticism or critique.  I'm sure Wentz can handle it.

Just now, SchlicterSZN said:

Not really.  Of I'm paying an employee millions, and they make a decision I think takes them down a notch reliability wise, I'd probably feel free to make that statement just like Jim did.  Not being vaxed is a choice, but freedom of choice doesn't mean freedom from all criticism or critique.  I'm sure Wentz can handle it.

You're right. Everyone is open to criticism. One could say for instance Irsay has done more than his fair share of things that made him an unreliable owner.... and even an embarrassment to the franchise. 

It's not if Wentz can handle it, it's just stupid to say in the context of his ankle.... It will cause media distraction, and divide fans. Just totally stupid to say that. It accomplishes absolutely zero. And the click bate media will eat it up. Fun stuff for a QB who dealt with a a bunch of sheet last year, comes here to a clown show OL, gets hurt, and then the owner talks sheet. 

2 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

WTH

So if you listen the whole clip he’s talking about Wentz’s availability in general.  He talks about the injury and finishes the sentence then starts a new one about COVID and frankly says some the exact things some who are freaking out about this sound bite were saying a month ago, it’s harder to count on someone who isn’t vaccinated than is vaccinated against COVID which isn’t up for debate because that’s the whole point of the vaccine.  He also says “they” have freedom of choice so clearly it’s a message to locker room that they want them to be vaccinated but they respect their choice.  It’s not one connected thought like Chappell’s tweet made it seem.

If players get their feathers in a ruffle about that I have a lot bigger concern about their mental strength overall.  Irsay isn’t really saying anything fans, Ballard, or Reich hasn’t already said.  You are basically gambling with your availability if you aren’t vaccinated.  

If people want to freak out and over react to this fine do it but I think it’s just that a gross overreaction.  

7 hours ago, deedub75 said:

He probably won't be as mobile but instinct will kick in when he's flushed out of the pocket. 

We need a lot of crossing routes, late releases and easy check downs built into the game plan today to help keep him from getting hit and feeling the need to run. Titans are going to send pressure.

6 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I felt like saying something along the same lines, but stopped myself.. 

So he's made some comments lately on Wentz... This one, and seemed like he went out of his way to make it a point that Reich pushed for Wentz....  Trouble in paradise already.... If I was Wentz, I'd be having a chat with Frank and Chris. This is not a topic (nor was it relevant) you toss out there when you look half popped. I know there are some Irsay sunshine pumpers out there (and I like him too most of the time), but he's been common-sense-challenged for a lot of his life. Great heart for the most part, but not always the a perfect citizen nor the most stately speaker. 

He never said anything like this to Luck in the open public at any point in time when he was getting hammered by the line and what not. I almost get the sense too that he wasn't that fond of the Wentz aquisition. He's also made other read between the lines comments like We will go as far as Carson goes.  That comment flies in the face of Chris saying multiple times that this was a Team game. Irsays statements put all the pressure square on his shoulders. I get his angst about the vaccine but at 0-2 that's A private conversation which you let Chris and Frank handle in the media. Him stating things publicly is letting a media firestorm brew.

3 hours ago, krunk said:

He never said anything like this to Luck in the open public at any point in time when he was getting hammered by the line and what not. I almost get the sense too that he wasn't that fond of the Wentz aquisition. He's also made other read between the lines comments like We will go as far as Carson goes.  That comment flies in the face of Chris saying multiple times that this was a Team game. Irsays statements put all the pressure square on his shoulders. I get his angst about the vaccine but at 0-2 that's A private conversation which you let Chris and Frank handle in the media. Him stating things publicly is letting a media firestorm brew.

Yup. It simply accomplishes zero. In his business, you try and keep your mouth shut unless you're saying something positive, or something that accomplishes things. He did neither. Just fed click bait writers and threw some gas on a political topic that Ballard and Reich are doing their best to ride the fence on. 

But yes, he's made enough little comments to lead many to think he's not a CW guy (regardless of vax statsu). I'm sure Reich and Ballard cringed when seeing it. 

Archived