Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wentz updates?

csmopar

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, The Fish said:

Arguably the greatest thing Luck did in Indy, 11-0 against the Titans

Na, the greatest thing Luck did was making sure the Colts didn't miss Peyton too much. I think every Colts fan surely has to understand how hard that task was especially the past few years

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

Jacoby won his matchup in 2019. I will never forget that game because it was over 100 degrees. We won 19-17. Broken up pass on fourth down to win. I believe it was Mariota at QB.

Nope there was another one i believe Paganos last year. Hookers 1st year.

1 hour ago, Colt.45 said:

Na, the greatest thing Luck did was making sure the Colts didn't miss Peyton too much. I think every Colts fan surely has to understand how hard that task was especially the past few years

I want to agree with this, but it's too flowery to my recollection. I say this as someone who was all in on drafting Luck and agreed with the cap/money nerds that it was better to reset (at the time). But it did a few things that culminated with Luck retiring at 30.. We watched a fan base divide, the BronColt fan was definitely a thing, some older fans said "you can't do that to an all timer" and simply said screw the Colts and followed Peyton exclusively. We watched Peyton play in two SB's and win one, while the Colts got to be the butt of Patriot fans jokes. 

The end result for people like me is I appreciate Peyton all the more now and I miss that time as a football fan.

TL/DR- Luck didn't heal wounds, ultimately.  Too bad, good dude, good QB, total could have/should have story that the franchise is still in the wake of. 

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

I want to agree with this, but it's too flowery to my recollection. I say this as someone who was all in on drafting Luck and agreed with the cap/money nerds that it was better to reset (at the time). But it did a few things that culminated with Luck retiring at 30.. We watched a fan base divide, the BronColt fan was definitely a thing, some older fans said "you can't do that to an all timer" and simply said screw the Colts and followed Peyton exclusively. We watched Peyton play in two SB's and win one, while the Colts got to be the butt of Patriot fans jokes. 

The end result for people like me is I appreciate Peyton all the more now and I miss that time as a football fan.

TL/DR- Luck didn't heal wounds, ultimately.  Too bad, good dude, good QB, total could have/should have story that the franchise is still in the wake of. 

I hear you....but follow me on this thought train. If almost any other rookie QB had replaced Peyton, the Colts sink into irrelevance. That team was absolute bubbles. 2-14 and it showed yet this kid came in and immediately the Colts maintained relevance, making the playoffs and still being regarded as an AFC threat in the tier below Brady. What have we been since Luck or when he was hurt? A losing team or a 3rd tier AFC team behind Brady then Mahomes. 

Now we can say that we should have kept Peyton of course, because we all know how the story ends but 12 kept us relevant, i don't take that for granted. These days we just hope to get to the playoffs. We hope to win the division. We hope to beat Tennessee. I miss Peyton a lot, but i also realize the role Luck played as a gap filler, that was no small task. Many people were not happy we let Peyton go and this young man came in and soothed wounds. We're hoping we find another young QB half as good as Luck, that says it all. How'd you enjoy arguments about Ehlinger v Eason all off season? That's our reality. We've got Carson who is essential Luck-lite until proven otherwise. 12 didnt get us a SB but look at how NE are replacing Brady. I'll tell you something, it is HARD to replace a HoF. Recently, football fans have seen it done in Indy, SF, GB and how many other teams have managed that seamless transition without suffering? 

14 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

I hear you....but follow me on this thought train. If almost any other rookie QB had replaced Peyton, the Colts sink into irrelevance. That team was absolute bubbles. 2-14 and it showed yet this kid came in and immediately the Colts maintained relevance, making the playoffs and still being regarded as an AFC threat in the tier below Brady. What have we been since Luck or when he was hurt? A losing team or a 3rd tier AFC team behind Brady then Mahomes. 

Now we can say that we should have kept Peyton of course, because we all know how the story ends but 12 kept us relevant, i don't take that for granted. These days we just hope to get to the playoffs. We hope to win the division. We hope to beat Tennessee. I miss Peyton a lot, but i also realize the role Luck played as a gap filler, that was no small task. Many people were not happy we let Peyton go and this young man came in and soothed wounds. We're hoping we find another young QB half as good as Luck, that says it all. How'd you enjoy arguments about Ehlinger v Eason all off season? That's our reality. We've got Carson who is essential Luck-lite until proven otherwise. 12 didnt get us a SB but look at how NE are replacing Brady. I'll tell you something, it is HARD to replace a HoF. Recently, football fans have seen it done in Indy, SF, GB and how many other teams have managed that seamless transition without suffering? 

I see the point about Luck rebounding the team at the time (teams that are 2 years removed from a SB appearance seldom pick at the top of the draft, weird situation all around). That 2012 seasons was tons of fun.

I suppose it's an all roads lead to today kind of thing and I see Wentz as a Luck-esq kind of talent when looking at upside, maybe lite is the word for it. Dude does get hurt a lot.

If he's the guy, that solves some of the malaise of injuries, backups, stopgaps and other oddities that have sorta cause the callused reaction to Luck's last 3 years. It is hard to get QB's- no doubt. 

24 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Me personally, I agreed with the sentiment that you don't do that to someone who basically built NFL football in Indy... I also followed Denver closely after that, but never stopped watching or cheering for the Colts. Still cheered hard for Luck. The situation wasn't his fault.

I watched Luck a lot in college as Stanford was/is a ND rivalry. Great prospect obviously, but also had great talent around him those years. At the time, thought he was an uber-low risk for bust, but wasn't buying all the hype on his ceiling. Never quite embraced his personality though, but absolutely embraced him as a Colt starter.

But yea, it wasn't an immediate healing moment. Folks rallied after a while if they left for a few Denver years. 

7 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I see the point about Luck rebounding the team at the time (teams that are 2 years removed from a SB appearance seldom pick at the top of the draft, weird situation all around). That 2012 seasons was tons of fun.

I suppose it's an all roads lead to today kind of thing and I see Wentz as a Luck-esq kind of talent when looking at upside, maybe lite is the word for it. Dude does get hurt a lot.

If he's the guy, that solves some of the malaise of injuries, backups, stopgaps and other oddities that have sorta cause the callused reaction to Luck's last 3 years. It is hard to get QB's- no doubt. 

I really appreciated the kid. He wasn't Manning but no one is. Even with Green Bay going from Favre to Rodgers, that wasn't anywhere near what Luck had to do. Manning might be the greatest QB of all time and that's saying something when you consider the whole ringz argument. Defenses changed because of that guy. That's what the kid had to replace. It wasn't just the winning and the culture and the iconic presence. etc. The retirement was really unfortunate.

Now lets hope we've learned and show it in how we handle Wentz. I didnt want this dude, to me he's mentally not what 12, 18 or even 17 were and i'm not talking about just on the football field. However two games in, he's shown enough to suggest he can be good enough to leave Colts fans with their heads high in the sky kinda like Tannehill has done for Tennessee though I think Carson can be even more. We just need to get him to release the ball faster and get the O-Line to give up their souls before letting him take these licks.

This narrative that the Colts somehow wronged Peyton Manning by releasing him is revisionist history and completely laughable. The Colts couldve traded him to a cruddy organization for a mid round pick. They didnt. They let him walk and choose where he wanted to go. 

They did him a huge favor. He landed with a much, much better football team. He got another ring and played in 2 more SBs. Won another MVP.

He does none of that here. None of it. Not only were the Colts a bad football team, they wouldve been worse had they kept Peyton. People forget Robert Mathis and Reggie Wayne wouldve been let go and were only kept because of the cap room created by his release in the first place.

If you truly loved Peyton Manning, you let him move on and add to his legacy. If youre selfish, you whine because hes gone and pretend everything wouldve been better with him. And then you make him finish his career on a bad football team with no shot to win. 

That era had run its course. Everyone was better off by the decisions that were made. Most of all was Manning himself. 

Was it sad? Absolutely.  

Just now, GoatBeard said:

This narrative that the Colts somehow wronged Peyton Manning by releasing him is revisionist history and completely laughable. The Colts couldve traded him to a cruddy organization for a mid round pick. They didnt. They let him walk and choose where he wanted to go. 

They did him a huge favor. He landed with a much, much better football team. He got another ring and played in 2 more SBs. Won another MVP.

He does none of that here. None of it. Not only were the Colts a bad football team, they wouldve been worse had they kept Peyton. People forget Robert Mathis and Reggie Wayne wouldve been let go and were only kept because of the cap room created by his release in the first place.

If you truly loved Peyton Manning, you let him move on and add to his legacy. If youre selfish, you whine because hes gone and pretend everything wouldve been better with him. And then you make him finish his career on a bad football team with no shot to win. 

That era had run its course. Everyone was better off by the decisions that were made. Most of all was Manning himself. 

Was it sad? Absolutely.  

Revisionist history?

Isn't that what you just did citing he went to a better team and won a SB?

And the organization wasn't trying to be unselfish by letting him go. Had they messed with him the optics would killed the FO. It was bad already.

And implying fans were selfish for wanting their favorite player to stay is pretty silly.

You can't fast forward now that you know he won a SB in Denver and call people selfish. And you can't act like they were such a great team before he got there.  Hell, they hadn't won more than 8 games for 5 or more seasons before Manning showed up. Good D yes, but it wasn't like people thought they were one old hurt QB away. 

Manning was special. And they've only averaged 6 or 7 wins a year since he left.

13 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

Was it sad? Absolutely.  

I believe the way Peyton’s contract was set up he had to be released in order not trigger a massive cap hit so trading him wasn’t an option.  Peyton wanted the out incase his neck didn’t heal.  So really Peyton did the Colts a massive favor by giving them an out.  From there the Colts did the only real option they had if they were going to move on from him.

4 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

Was it sad? Absolutely.  

I agree with this post 100%.  2009 was our peak with that core, team wasn't the same after that and we went in rebuild mode, new GM, new Coach. It was the right move going with Luck and letting Peyton choose his own destination, not only that Irsay paid him 25 Mill if I am not mistaken for not even playing in 2011. People forget how great Andrew Luck was from 2012-2014. We were 2-14 in 2011 and he took us to 11-5 with no run game, average defense, average O.Line at best. Reggie Wayne and Robert Mathis are the only 2 guys that were still great from that roster in 2011.

18 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

This narrative that the Colts somehow wronged Peyton Manning by releasing him is revisionist history and completely laughable.

I'm not sure you ever read "Peyton was wronged by the Colts" in our back and forth. In fact I know you didn't. 

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree with this post 100%.  2009 was our peak with that core, team wasn't the same after that and we went in rebuild mode, new GM, new Coach. It was the right move going with Luck and letting Peyton choose his own destination, not only that Irsay paid him 25 Mill if I am not mistaken for not even playing in 2011. People forget how great Andrew Luck was from 2012-2014. We were 2-14 in 2011 and he took us to 11-5 with no run game, average defense, average O.Line at best. Reggie Wayne and Robert Mathis are the only 2 guys that were still great from that roster in 2011.

We weren't really a 2-14 team, a season and half removed from a SB appearance. 

I'm not going to go all the way down the wormhole here, it's not overly important, but can we assume for 2 seconds that Peyton Manning, on his team, would have been at least okay? 

9 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Revisionist history?

Isn't that what you just did citing he went to a better team and won a SB?

And the organization wasn't trying to be unselfish by letting him go. Had they messed with him the optics would killed the FO. It was bad already.

And implying fans were selfish for wanting their favorite player to stay is pretty silly.

You can't fast forward now that you know he won a SB in Denver and call people selfish. And you can't act like they were such a great team before he got there.  Hell, they hadn't won more than 8 games for 5 or more seasons before Manning showed up. Good D yes, but it wasn't like people thought they were one old hurt QB away. 

Manning was special. And they've only averaged 6 or 7 wins a year since he left.

He didnt go to a better football team?

Really?

That isnt revisionist history. 

They were 8-8 with horrible QB play. Thats a damn good football team. Good d? No they had a great D.

Just now, The Fish said:

We weren't really a 2-14 team, a season and half removed from a SB appearance. 

I'm not going to go all the way down the wormhole here, it's not overly important, but can we assume for 2 seconds that Peyton Manning, on his team, would have been at least okay? 

Peyton is Peyton, sure he could make something out of nothing. he IMO is a Top 3 QB of all-time. My favorite player of all-time as well. Having said that our roster had peaked in 2009 and was aging. Half our roster was different in 2012. Denver had a much better team than we did, we did Peyton a favor.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not sure he meant you but some actually feel that way. 

Yeah, for clarity, some certainly did. I was saying, none of us (in the back and forth) did. I said I got it at the time and advocated for it. 

I did actually bring that up in context.. I'm tired. I'm probably going to get a zesty response.. lol

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Peyton is Peyton, sure he could make something out of nothing. he IMO is a Top 3 QB of all-time. My favorite player of all-time as well. Having said that our roster had peaked in 2009 and was aging. Half our roster was different in 2012. Denver had a much better team than we did, we did Peyton a favor.

He didn't want to go, isn't a small part of the contention IIRC.. 

DAMN IT, the wormhole is sucking me in.. lol

10 minutes ago, The Fish said:

He didn't want to go, isn't a small part of the contention IIRC.. 

DAMN IT, the wormhole is sucking me in.. lol

Believe me I was sad when it happened. I loved Peyton but I had a gut feeling Luck would be good and in reality Luck was great for just those 3 years. He lost to the great Pats twice in the playoffs, other wise who knows, we may have got to a SB. You see QB's today that get all kinds of hype, Burrow and now Lawrence, they could never take a 2-14 team to 11-5. Burrow didn't last year and got injured on top of it and the Jags are already 0-2. Jags will be lucky to win 5 games. The only real leftovers Luck had was Wayne and Mathis - which is huge don't get me wrong but the overall team around him in 2012 was average at best. He made it a good season.

8 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

He didnt go to a better football team?

Really?

That isnt revisionist history. 

They were 8-8 with horrible QB play. Thats a damn good football team. Good d? No they had a great D.

Yes, it's revisionist history for you to say fans who wanted Peyton to stay, were selfish because he won a SB.. Your criticism of fans relies on something that was utterly unknown at the time it went down.... Nobody at that time said, gee, wait... my favorite player, Peyton Manning is going to a team that was 8-8 last year, and 4-12 the year before, so he's destined to win a SB... LMAO.

The years 5-6 years before Manning, they averaged 6-7 wins.

The year before Manning, they had 8 wins with Tebow.

The year before Tebow, they had 4 wins.... 

Heck, we didn't have the D Denver did, and did better with Brissett in 2019 lol. 

Manning was special, and played out his mind. Only the D side was better than Indy at that time.

Manning made a unknown nobody like 3rd round Eric Decker into a stud (who is still more well known for his girlfriends), and they picked Welker after Manning got there. Indy added TY the year Manning left, so who's to say Manning wouldn't have played out of his mind in Indy... 

Archived