Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Off season hypothetical what if:

cdgacoltsfan

If Philip Rivers had decided to come back for one more year , I'm thinking Carson Wentz would either still be with the Eagles or with the Bears and the Colts would have treated up for Fields or. Mac Jones.

Just now, cdgacoltsfan said:

If Philip Rivers had decided to come back for one more year , I'm thinking Carson Wentz would either still be with the Eagles or with the Bears and the Colts would have traded up for Fields or. Mac Jones.

43 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I wonder if Carson being available pushed him to retire. I don’t know what would of happened . I would of hoped they would know Wentz could of been available before They would of re-signed rivers. You can’t pass on Wentz for a 40 year old QB. 

I thought Rivers retired way before Wentz was officially available for trade.

1 hour ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Not sure. I am sure there were rumblings though. Maybe why they told him to take a month. I agree though we may have tried moved up for Fields. Man no Paye if that had happened. Vikings tried to trade up with panthers for Fields also. Everything worked out like it should have. Colts couldn’t of had better luck. 

no frank is good friends with the eagles owner . frank said the eagles owner called him right after the season to talk about nick siriana who they wanted to hire and told frank carson was gonna be traded .    frank new right after the bills game and that is why chris ballard told rivers to wait a month first and well meet back up .   the plan was always to trade for wentz and if that fails rivers would be a backup plan .  rivers new that meant the colts were not happy to get him back and retired

2 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

I would of hoped they would know Wentz could of been available before They would of re-signed rivers.

*  I would have hoped they would know Wentz could have been available before They would have re-signed rivers.

8 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

no frank is good friends with the eagles owner . frank said the eagles owner called him right after the season to talk about nick siriana who they wanted to hire and told frank carson was gonna be traded .    frank new right after the bills game and that is why chris ballard told rivers to wait a month first and well meet back up .   the plan was always to trade for wentz and if that fails rivers would be a backup plan .  rivers new that meant the colts were not happy to get him back and retired

Where did you get this info from?

14 hours ago, coming on strong said:

What a great example of the behind the scenes networking and communicating that goes on behind closed doors.  How favors and deals start to materialize and come together.  This is why everything is not obvious or cut and dry in the NFL.  Fans have to be ready for anything.  Because anything can happen on a given day. 

A lot of the media, who usually know nothing but talk anyway, we’re saying the Eagles hired Sirianni to “fix” Wentz.   But it doesn’t fit the narrative.  

I’m wondering if Nick even makes a full season there.  

17 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

I think publicly to save Rivers any embarrassment that was the story. But I think Ballard told Rivers that they would be moving on from him, and so he then retired. 

I base mostly that on that in a pre game chat in the playoff game vs Buffalo he told the announcer that IF THE COLTS wanted him back he would return. 

I could be wrong but that's my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

A lot of the media, who usually know nothing but talk anyway, we’re saying the Eagles hired Sirianni to “fix” Wentz.   But it doesn’t fit the narrative.  

I’m wondering if Nick even makes a full season there.  

Jason Spears on For the Colture basically said his source told him they  in fact hired Sirriani to try and make Wentz happy. Wentz still wanted out.

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I think publicly to save Rivers any embarrassment that was the story. But I think Ballard told Rivers that they would be moving on from him, and so he then retired. 

I base mostly that on that in a pre game chat in the playoff game vs Buffalo he told the announcer that IF THE COLTS wanted him back he would return. 

I could be wrong but that's my opinion. 

Most likely they told him they wanted to look at their options first. Rivers basically said I am just going to retire. I think Ballard was probably honest with him and Rivers understood with his age ect the colts needed to see if a younger option was out there. Rivers probably didn’t want to wait around. Especially with all his kids. Was probably ready to start a new chapter and get his family settled. Whether that was going to be staying in Indy another year or getting settled in Alabama.

19 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Not sure. I am sure there were rumblings though. Maybe why they told him to take a month. I agree though we may have tried moved up for Fields. Man no Paye if that had happened. Vikings tried to trade up with panthers for Fields also. Everything worked out like it should have. Colts couldn’t of had better luck. 

Well.....yeah, that last sentence kinda spells out what the ideal woulda coulda shoulda was....

Like I said originally, the Colts bringing Rivers back was not their first option and not something they really wanted to do. I think it was apparent to anyone with two eyes that Rivers was pretty much cooked physically but at the top of his game mentally. Colts were never going to win anything significant with him at QB.

1 minute ago, TheNextGM said:

No way were the Colts trading up for a rookie QB.

The cost was too much and the roster is built to win now. You don’t win a Super Bowl with a rookie at the helm, and the Colts want it all this year. 

Personally I don’t think the Bears gave up much for Fields. But if there was more then one team wanting to move up the price would of been higher. Reich actually said him and Ballard had talked before getting Wentz how  were going to get their next QB in the draft.

Phillips Rivers was gonna RETIRE no ifs and buts ors.  Phillip Rivers knew he was too old to play another year.  Yes he went 11-5 but he knows himself that’s the best he can do is 1 and done in the playoffs with what the Colts have.  Yes we have a good team but that’s it a GOOD team.  We needed to be a great team to go to that next level.  Phillip Rivers knew he didn’t have that much left in the tank to make the Colts be a great team.  Now that we have Wentz and he truly believes he needed a new scenery and a team with a good to elite Oline to resurrect his career.  The Colts needed to upgrade that position and I think they did also trading for Wentz.  Now we need 2 more pieces and we will be great on paper since we are still in the off-season.  We need Julio as our WR1 and we need a healthy LT that can play instantly.  Then all the talking heads at espn will say we are the Champs.  The paper super bowl champs.  Again the Paper version!!

The more time passes the more I really appreciate Rivers season with the Colts. With no offseason workouts, preseason he lead the Colts to 11-5 and gave the AFC finalists Bills all they can handle. I think the Colts and Rivers came to an even understanding. Hope he enjoys retirement and he definitely deserves HOF one day.

56 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

The more time passes the more I really appreciate Rivers season with the Colts. With no offseason workouts, preseason he lead the Colts to 11-5 and gave the AFC finalists Bills all they can handle. I think the Colts and Rivers came to an even understanding. Hope he enjoys retirement and he definitely deserves HOF one day.

Yeah he was a consummate pro. Such a smart QB and an absolute competitor. He achieved more last season than anyone could reasonably have expected him to have achieved imo. It's crazy to me how some people seem to take winning for granted and don't recognise what a success last season was. It wasn't the ultimate success that everyone hopes for, but it could have been a hell of a lot worse.

I truly think that the Colts will be wise to keep Rivers number on speed dial in case Wentz goes down for a few games. Overpay him for a few spot starts, and have the advantage of someone that can come in on a pinch and seamlessly run your system. I just hope he stays in good shape until Christmas

No clue why people are making things up. Rivers retired way better the Colts wanted to trade for Carson. We were also in play for Stafford. All of which these decisions CB made came after Rivers retired. The Colts were going to bring him back if he didn’t retire. Also remember Rivers had the ankle injury which hampered his mobility even more. 

5 minutes ago, a06cc said:

No clue why people are making things up. Rivers retired way better the Colts wanted to trade for Carson. We were also in play for Stafford. All of which these decisions CB made came after Rivers retired. The Colts were going to bring him back if he didn’t retire. Also remember Rivers had the ankle injury which hampered his mobility even more. 

I thought Rivers injury was turf toe?

1 hour ago, Mackrel829 said:

Yeah he was a consummate pro. Such a smart QB and an absolute competitor. He achieved more last season than anyone could reasonably have expected him to have achieved imo. It's crazy to me how some people seem to take winning for granted and don't recognise what a success last season was. It wasn't the ultimate success that everyone hopes for, but it could have been a hell of a lot worse.

i know all the teams had the same circumstances, but if there was a preseason last year, things may have been different.  Rivers would have had more time learning and executing the Colts offense.

We probably at least would have beaten Jax and that would give us the division.  

It was a good season and we learned that with a smart QB, even with Rivers physical limitations, the team wasn’t far from the top contenders.  

3 hours ago, Smonroe said:

i know all the teams had the same circumstances, but if there was a preseason last year, things may have been different.  Rivers would have had more time learning and executing the Colts offense.

We probably at least would have beaten Jax and that would give us the division.  

It was a good season and we learned that with a smart QB, even with Rivers physical limitations, the team wasn’t far from the top contenders.  

You can't really think like that though. If circumstances were different, yes we might have beaten Jacksonville, but we might also have lost two games elsewhere. 

14 hours ago, Mackrel829 said:

You can't really think like that though. If circumstances were different, yes we might have beaten Jacksonville, but we might also have lost two games elsewhere. 

The point was that if the team was more prepared, like with a regular preseason, we may have beaten JAX.  It was pretty clear as the season went on which team was better.

Of course there were other games we could have lost.  

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

The point was that if the team was more prepared, like with a regular preseason, we may have beaten JAX.  It was pretty clear as the season went on which team was better.

Of course there were other games we could have lost.  

No I get that. It's just, when people play the 'what if' game, they only ever see the ways in which their team could hypothetically have been better. There are plenty of ways in which last season could have gone worse, and I think Rivers was a big reason why they didn't.

6 hours ago, SteelDragon said:

Weren’t the Colts in pursuit of Stafford before Wentz?

Ballard basically said they weren’t ready to pull the trigger on Stafford when the Rams came in and offered their deal. He said he doesn’t make decisions quick. It sounds like the colts were still discussing whether they thought he could take them to the next level. Their was some media guys who said their sources told them they weren’t convinced Stafford could do that. It really sounds like they were not that serious on him. Ballard has since said Wentz was a easy decision. Not only because of Reich but because of all the work he put into him when KC was interested in 2016. 

6 hours ago, SteelDragon said:

Weren’t the Colts in pursuit of Stafford before Wentz?

That was my understanding as well.

This board was gaga over Stafford and wanted him badly.

But Ballard could not meet the trade demands so the deal fell apart.

Wentz was really the second choice 

11 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

That was my understanding as well.

This board was gaga over Stafford and wanted him badly.

But Ballard could not meet the trade demands so the deal fell apart.

Wentz was really the second choice 

I don’t think it had anything to do with trade demands. Ballard admitted they weren’t even ready to make a offer. Wentz was always the first choice. I think Reich basically said that.

On 5/31/2021 at 12:45 PM, Wentzszn said:

Here is the interview. Not sure if it was this one or another one or SILEO misinterpreted it.

Must have been another one. They were talking about Sirianni when the owner/gm called. Reich made no mention of Wentz.

On 5/31/2021 at 12:45 PM, Wentzszn said:

Here is the interview. Not sure if it was this one or another one or SILEO misinterpreted it.

Must have been another one. They were talking about Sirianni when the owner/gm called. Reich made no mention of Wentz.

But I would not be surprised for Sileo to make that massive leap. I generally take everything he says with a grain of salt.

Archived