Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sammy Watkins to visit the Colts

1959Colts

I mean let’s forget about Watkins injury history for a minute...

The guy has been (at absolute very best) pedestrian in the league’s most prolific offense, with the league’s best QB. He’s obviously not the first, or even the second option there, but even still. A guy with the perceived level of talent that he had coming out of college should have been able to get more involved there in KC than he has been. 

So yeah, just no. 

No. 

Bad Ballard. Don’t make us rub your nose in it...

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Mitch Connors said:

Banogu played 26% of the defensive snaps in 2019. He played 10% in 2020. That may not be his fault though because he was inactive for five games. That's not an indicator of a player ascending. Its literally the opposite. But as you say how would the poster have any inclination that Banogu is done?

If youre going to condescend please please please at least know what youre talking about.

Ok Thanks Mitch for condescending to my post.   

Your “please, please, please know what you’re talking about” was a lovely touch.  One I’ve come to expect from you. 

So since my response was based on the comments of a man called Chris Ballard, (heard of him?) I’ll repeat them for you. 

1.   Ballard has repeatedly said DL often take 2-3 years to figure out the NFL.   

2.   Ballard has pointed to Jerry Hughes as a guy the Colts treaded eBay too soon, and he developed for Buffalo. 

3.  Ballard has noted that Banogu is the most raw of all our young DL.   In need of the most coaching.   Covid wiped out much of the coaching BB needed. 

4.  Ballard has noted that Lewis has begun to show more in his third year.  And as of now, he appears in line for more snaps. 

5.  Turay and Lewis have been on the team for three years.  BB just two, but only one in which he played much.   So a poster concluding they haven’t seen enough from BB to conclude he’s going to be good (called him a lost cause) may be right.  

6.  Or, he may be wrong, as the Colts were with Hughes.  As fans here may be with Turay and Lewis who both flashed more in year 3.

Give the kid a chance.  That’s my view.  And I’ve written it here several times, so this is not new. 

So....   do you understand me now?   I typically, but not always, have a pretty good idea of what I’m talking about.  I certainly am wrong plenty here.  And I try to own that.  I learn a ton every day.   I wouldn’t be here nearly 9 years if I didn’t.   But I rarely don’t know what I’m talking about as this post should clearly demonstrate. 

2 hours ago, John Waylon said:

I mean let’s forget about Watkins injury history for a minute...

The guy has been (at absolute very best) pedestrian in the league’s most prolific offense, with the league’s best QB. He’s obviously not the first, or even the second option there, but even still. A guy with the perceived level of talent that he had coming out of college should have been able to get more involved there in KC than he has been. 

So yeah, just no. 

No. 

Bad Ballard. Don’t make us rub your nose in it...

Tbh his lack of involvement in KC was mostly due to injuries. 

519 yards in 10 games in ‘18 (on pace for 820 yards)

673 in 14 games in 19

421 in 10 in ‘20

he was pretty huge during their super bowl run in 2019, racking up 288 yards in three games. Not bad for a guy who was at best their third option behind Hill/Kelce. 

His injury history is very concerning but he’s not a bad player when he’s healthy. 

I would rather have TY, but if Watkins can find a way to stay healthy he very easily could be a better player than 32 year old TY Hilton. Maybe Hilton has a bounce back season, but it’s also possible he’s just old now. Not saying it will be the case but I would not find it shocking. 

just my two cents. 

Sammy Watkins is younger but not better than T.Y.  Plus he is injury prone.  What is up with Ballard this offseason?  Just bring back T.Y. at this point.  Only way I like a move for Watson is if the Colts are planning to sign both him AND T.Y.  Then Sammy becomes Paris Campbell insurance in my mind.  Knowing Ballard though I'd be surprised if that happened...he is more likely to just take another WR in the draft and save the money.  We know rookie WR's usually take awhile to develop so that potentially leaves us without a true #1 receiver next season.  

1 hour ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Sammy Watkins is younger but not better than T.Y.  Plus he is injury prone.  What is up with Ballard this offseason?  Just bring back T.Y. at this point.  Only way I like a move for Watson is if the Colts are planning to sign both him AND T.Y.  Then Sammy becomes Paris Campbell insurance in my mind.  Knowing Ballard though I'd be surprised if that happened...he is more likely to just take another WR in the draft and save the money.  We know rookie WR's usually take awhile to develop so that potentially leaves us without a true #1 receiver next season.  

I tend to agree but again, TY is going to be 32 with declining production, Watkins is 27 and has been a 1k yard receiver before.

I don’t think it’s a guarantee Hilton would

produce more than Watkins. Maybe I’m just down on Hilton and maybe he could see a career revival with Wentz. 

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Your “please, please, please know what you’re talking about” was a lovely touch.  One I’ve come to expect from you. 

So since my response was based on the comments of a man called Chris Ballard, (heard of him?) I’ll repeat them for you. 

2.   Ballard has pointed to Jerry Hughes as a guy the Colts treaded eBay too soon, and he developed for Buffalo. 

3.  Ballard has noted that Banogu is the most raw of all our young DL.   In need of the most coaching.   Covid wiped out much of the coaching BB needed. 

4.  Ballard has noted that Lewis has begun to show more in his third year.  And as of now, he appears in line for more snaps. 

5.  Turay and Lewis have been on the team for three years.  BB just two, but only one in which he played much.   So a poster concluding they haven’t seen enough from BB to conclude he’s going to be good (called him a lost cause) may be right.  

6.  Or, he may be wrong, as the Colts were with Hughes.  As fans here may be with Turay and Lewis who both flashed more in year 3.

Give the kid a chance.  That’s my view.  And I’ve written it here several times, so this is not new. 

So....   do you understand me now?   I typically, but not always, have a pretty good idea of what I’m talking about.  I certainly am wrong plenty here.  And I try to own that.  I learn a ton every day.   I wouldn’t be here nearly 9 years if I didn’t.   But I rarely don’t know what I’m talking about as this post should clearly demonstrate. 

So if Turay. Lewis and Banagou continue to bust. What will b your thoughts on Ballards ability to draft high end picks? There are more than those 3 picks. There was Basham, Hooker and Wilson. Also Sin who has not amounted to much . That is 7 picks on defence within the 1st 3 rounds that havent amounted  to squat.  Ballard is not a genius. That is not good drafting on defence.

3 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

So if Turay. Lewis and Banagou continue to bust. What will b your thoughts on Ballards ability to draft high end picks? There are more than those 3 picks. There was Basham, Hooker and Wilson. Also Sin who has not amounted to much . That is 7 picks on defence within the 1st 3 rounds that havent amounted  to squat.  Ballard is not a genius. That is not good drafting on defence.

Oh, boy....   here we go again.   Trust me, after I answer this here, you’ll ask it again in some other discussion.   

Hooker:  Drafted where he was supposed to be.   Two devastating injuries have basically wiped out his career. 

Wilson:  was the youngest player in the draft, he was drafted where he should’ve been.  He never matured. 

Basham:  drafted fir Pagano’s 3-4 defense.  It was hoped he’d make the transition to a 4-3, but he didn’t.  Has done better in the Jets 3-4.

Turay:  had a decent rookie year.  Injury wiped out most of 19 and 20.  But he was on the field for key snaps in Dec of 20.  So the staff still sees potential. 

Lewis:  Ballard says DL’s often need 2-3 years  to figure out the NFL game.  This was year 3, and Lewis played more snaps and he played better.  And, if you didn’t notice,  we didn’t bring back Autry.  Odds are Lewis will get many (most?) of those snaps. 

Banogu:  The lost raw, most in need of coaching of our DL’s.  His 2020 got wiped out by Covid.   This is year 3 for him, so he’s going to have to show much more. 

Ya-Sin:  In his rookie year, Rock had a terrible first half of his season, but in the second half, he was the highest ranked rookie corner in the entire NFL.   A half-season of very good.  I have no idea what happened to him, but if he was good before, he should be able to be good again. 

The jury is still out on most of these players.  It’s an impatient fan base that makes final judgements way too quickly that are restless. 

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Oh, boy....   here we go again.   Trust me, after I answer this here, you’ll ask it again in some other discussion.   

Hooker:  Drafted where he was supposed to be.   Two devastating injuries have basically wiped out his career. 

Wilson:  was the youngest player in the draft, he was drafted where he should’ve been.  He never matured. 

Basham:  drafted fir Pagano’s 3-4 defense.  It was hoped he’d make the transition to a 4-3, but he didn’t.  Has done better in the Jets 3-4.

Turay:  had a decent rookie year.  Injury wiped out most of 19 and 20.  But he was on the field for key snaps in Dec of 20.  So the staff still sees potential. 

Lewis:  Ballard says DL’s often need 2-3 years  to figure out the NFL game.  This was year 3, and Lewis played more snaps and he played better.  And, if you didn’t notice,  we didn’t bring back Autry.  Odds are Lewis will get many (most?) of those snaps. 

Banogu:  The lost raw, most in need of coaching of our DL’s.  His 2020 got wiped out by Covid.   This is year 3 for him, so he’s going to have to show much more. 

Ya-Sin:  In his rookie year, Rock had a terrible first half of his season, but in the second half, he was the highest ranked rookie corner in the entire NFL.   A half-season of very good.  I have no idea what happened to him, but if he was good before, he should be able to be good again. 

The jury is still out on most of these players.  It’s an impatient fan base that makes final judgements way too quickly that are restless. 

Just playing devil's advocate; drafted where he/they was/were 'supposed to be' based on what or whom ? 

Agreed that an elongated (2 to 3 yrs or more) development period is required at 

certain positions. However, that long a time frame seems more appropriate for a 

4th or 5th rounder vs 2nd rounders.

They may well all still end up as solid or better NFL players. But a pretty good

argument could be made that they were over drafted.

Just now, Mick12Maher said:

All these posters complaining about Sammy Watkins ability to stay healthy are probably also sold that Parris Campbell is gonna stay healthy. What if he doesn’t? I honestly think having both TY and Watkins would be huge 

I doubt we get both

24 minutes ago, Mick12Maher said:

Let’s just get them both lol (TY, Watkins)

Wait for eagles to cut Etrtz, grab him

draft LT 1st round boom offense is electric

Draft day trade between Colts and Eagles:

Pick No.21 for pick No.37, Eagles 4th rounder and Zach Ertz :) 

J/k

9 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

This has been my biggest issue with Ballard. He has whiffed and missed on several high Rd picks.

I think he’s gotten a little too cute with the trade downs, instead of staying put and potentially landing a blue chip prospect.

I’ve heard all the excuses and “needs time to develop comments” but you don’t draft players in the 1st or 2nd Rd to start contributing come year four. That’s what you expect from late Rd selections. 

Ballard’s is a good GM, and I like how he handles FA for the most part, but he’s been far from perfect drafting. 

5 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I think he’s gotten a little too cute with the trade downs, instead of staying put and potentially landing a blue chip prospect.

^THIS. This right here drives me crazy. I love having Ballard as our GM. I also know he loves acquiring more picks that way there is a better chance of hitting on a diamond in the rough prospect. However, I just wish he stays put this year. CB or LT at pick 21 please. 

4 hours ago, indykmj said:

Just playing devil's advocate; drafted where he/they was/were 'supposed to be' based on what or whom ? 

Agreed that an elongated (2 to 3 yrs or more) development period is required at 

certain positions. However, that long a time frame seems more appropriate for a 

4th or 5th rounder vs 2nd rounders.

They may well all still end up as solid or better NFL players. But a pretty good

argument could be made that they were over drafted.

They were drafted where serious people who cover the draft for a living projected them to be drafted.  

You're probably seeing people herd post mock drafts from various websites...   the best sites come pretty close on their projections. 

The players we took earlier than their projections were...   Darius Leonard,  Tyquan Lewis and Ben Banogu.    

2 hours ago, adubb84 said:

^THIS. This right here drives me crazy. I love having Ballard as our GM. I also know he loves acquiring more picks that way there is a better chance of hitting on a diamond in the rough prospect. However, I just wish he stays put this year. CB or LT at pick 21 please. 

For sure quantity does not equal quality.  I think the issue really is we don't know what their draft board looks like.  If there are a number of guys that grade out about the same on the Colts board then it makes sense to trade back and pick up some extra picks. But if there is a guy that is available at our spot and has been evaluated well above other players then take him!  From that perspective it is on the entire scouting team to get better in differentiating between players.

Now as I say that I know it isn't an exact science and you can never be sure about: how a guy will develop, injuries and how that derails a career, fit in the scheme and locker room, etc.

Ballard and team have had their share of misses, but I'm sure if we really looked closely and the drafting of other teams we would see similar results.  I still like Ballard's approach to building a team and I would like to see them improve on their batting average in the draft, for lack of a better term.

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I agree with this statement. This is the year we will see more home grown players take over prominent roles.  The roster is becoming top heavy with our core stars and draft picks will now have enough grooming to replace the FA veterans we have relied on. They don’t have a choice. Sink or swim our home grown players will be major contributors 

19 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I agree with this statement. This is the year we will see more home grown players take over prominent roles.  The roster is becoming top heavy with our core stars and draft picks will now have enough grooming to replace the FA veterans we have relied on. They don’t have a choice. Sink or swim our home grown players will be major contributors 

I Understand Kenan Thompson GIF by NBC

12 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Right. I think Ballard has hit some HRs in the draft...but if I was to play devil's advocate...I would say his reputation in the draft is largely built off of those first 3 picks of that 2018 draft (and his propensity to trade back). And those three picks included arguably the safest prospect in a very long time (Nelson).

Prior to (and after) those 3 picks...it's very much a mixed bag. Certainly not awful like his predecessor...but some good and some bad. Lots of non-premium positions as well.

Specifically, so far the 2019 draft has been objectively bad so far. 

And to your point, outside of the Leonard pick, the defensive players drafted on Day 2 have been more misses than hits. And even Blackmon and Oke are not proven commodities yet.

One thing I have noticed, in regards to the perception of many Colts fans when it comes to Ballard's draft picks...is that if a player doesn't immediately play well...he is either unlucky (because he's hurt) or he just takes time to develop...but he is still a good player.  Meanwhile, if a player does play well right off the bat (or at least not bad)...he's immediately seen as a great player even if he hasn't proven it. Basically, they are all good-great players.

3 hours ago, MPStack said:

He has whiffed and missed on several high Rd picks.

I’ve heard all the excuses and “needs time to develop comments” but you don’t draft players in the 1st or 2nd Rd to start contributing come year four. That’s what you expect from late Rd selections. 

Ballard’s is a good GM, and I like how he handles FA for the most part, but he’s been far from perfect drafting. 

Agreed.

I prefer Quality over Quantity,  especially on high round draftees.

5 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Right. I think Ballard has hit some HRs in the draft...but if I was to play devil's advocate...I would say his reputation in the draft is largely built off of those first 3 picks of that 2018 draft (and his propensity to trade back). And those three picks included arguably the safest prospect in a very long time (Nelson).

Prior to (and after) those 3 picks...it's very much a mixed bag. Certainly not awful like his predecessor...but some good and some bad. Lots of non-premium positions as well.

Specifically, so far the 2019 draft has been objectively bad so far. 

And to your point, outside of the Leonard pick, the defensive players drafted on Day 2 have been more misses than hits. And even Blackmon and Oke are not proven commodities yet.

One thing I have noticed, in regards to the perception of many Colts fans when it comes to Ballard's draft picks...is that if a player doesn't immediately play well...he is either unlucky (because he's hurt) or he just takes time to develop...but he is still a good player.  Meanwhile, if a player does play well right off the bat (or at least not bad)...he's immediately seen as a great player even if he hasn't proven it. Basically, they are all good-great players.

Ballard did knock it out of the park with those three picks.  He also did trade a 1st round pick for an all pro and arguably the best player on our team.  He also drafted Willis, Hines, Blackmon, Taylor, Pittman, Lewis, Mack and Stewart who are or will be big contributors. There is also Glow, Pascal, Moore, Odum, Wentz and Rhoads who were obtained via FA, trades and UDFA. Yes, he has missed on some picks but he has filled the roster out with quality players.  Some drafts just don’t create stars for teams but we are consistently getting 2-3 starters from each draft and that is very good. 

2 hours ago, Mick12Maher said:

All these posters complaining about Sammy Watkins ability to stay healthy are probably also sold that Parris Campbell is gonna stay healthy.

There's a HUGE difference between those 2. Campbell had a few injuries his first season, then took a shot to the knee last season.

Watkins's injury list (per Sportsinjurypredictor.com)

• Oct 11, 2020 | Thigh Hamstring Strain Grade 2 | Watkins suffered a hamstring injury during the Week 5 loss to the Raiders. He missed 5 games
  • Sep 20, 2020 | Head Cranial Concussion Grade 1 | Watkins exited Week 2’s game due to a head injury that he suffered after taking a hit against the Los Angeles Chargers. He was available in the next game
  • Aug 16, 2020 | Inguinal Groin Strain Grade 2 | Watkins missed a portion of training camp practices due to a strained groin.
  • Oct 4, 2019 | Thigh Hamstring Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1| Watkins went into the game against Colts dinged up suffering a shoulder injury in Week 4 and injuring his hamstring during Friday’s practice.
  • Nov 19, 2018 | Pedal Foot | Watkins lasted just 5 snaps in his attempt to return from injuring his right foot. He missed the final 5 regular-season games, following a Week 12 bye. Watkins returned for the playoffs.
  • Nov 4, 2018 | Pedal Foot | Watkins suffered an unspecified right foot injury against the Browns and missed the following game.
  • Sep 21, 2017 | Head Cranial Concussion Grade 1 | Watkins departed in Week 3 but returned for Week 4.
  • Jan 1, 2017 | Pedal Foot Fracture | Watkins had 2 screws inserted into his previously fractured and repaired left foot, following multiple recovery setbacks.
  • Sep 20, 2016 | Pedal Foot | Watkins missed Week 3 and then landed on IR -- designated to return -- after a teammate stepped on his surgically repaired left foot in a walkthrough. He missed 8 games, returning in Week 12.
  • Apr 13, 2016 | Pedal Foot Fracture | Watkins fractured his left foot in an April workout training and needed a screw inserted.
  • Oct 18, 2015 | Pedal Ankle Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1 | Watkins sprained his left ankle on a TD reception in Week 6 and missed the next 2 games.
  • Sep 27, 2015 | Leg Calf Strain | Watkins suffered a reportedly "mild" strain to his left calf against the Dolphins in Week 3 but did miss 2 games.
  • Aug 17, 2015 | Thigh Glute Strain | Watkins sat out the final 3 preseason games with a glute injury.
  • Nov 30, 2014 | Inguinal Hip Tear | Watkins had minor surgery after the season to fix a slight tear in the labrum in his hip. The injury cost him no game time.
  • Nov 5, 2014 | Inguinal Groin Pull Grade 1 | Watkins had a minor groin pull in practice coming out of the Week 9 bye that did not cost him any playing time.
  • Aug 28, 2014 | Chest Rib Bruise | Watkins aggravated a previous rib bruise and left the preseason game against the Steelers.
  • Aug 16, 2014 | Chest Rib Bruise | The rookie missed 1 preseason game after sustaining a rib bruise in the 3rd preseason game.

Just now, Shive said:

There's a HUGE difference between those 2. Campbell had a few injuries his first season, then took a shot to the knee last season.

Watkins's injury list (per Sportsinjurypredictor.com)

• Oct 11, 2020 | Thigh Hamstring Strain Grade 2 | Watkins suffered a hamstring injury during the Week 5 loss to the Raiders. He missed 5 games
  • Sep 20, 2020 | Head Cranial Concussion Grade 1 | Watkins exited Week 2’s game due to a head injury that he suffered after taking a hit against the Los Angeles Chargers. He was available in the next game
  • Aug 16, 2020 | Inguinal Groin Strain Grade 2 | Watkins missed a portion of training camp practices due to a strained groin.
  • Oct 4, 2019 | Thigh Hamstring Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1| Watkins went into the game against Colts dinged up suffering a shoulder injury in Week 4 and injuring his hamstring during Friday’s practice.
  • Nov 19, 2018 | Pedal Foot | Watkins lasted just 5 snaps in his attempt to return from injuring his right foot. He missed the final 5 regular-season games, following a Week 12 bye. Watkins returned for the playoffs.
  • Nov 4, 2018 | Pedal Foot | Watkins suffered an unspecified right foot injury against the Browns and missed the following game.
  • Sep 21, 2017 | Head Cranial Concussion Grade 1 | Watkins departed in Week 3 but returned for Week 4.
  • Jan 1, 2017 | Pedal Foot Fracture | Watkins had 2 screws inserted into his previously fractured and repaired left foot, following multiple recovery setbacks.
  • Sep 20, 2016 | Pedal Foot | Watkins missed Week 3 and then landed on IR -- designated to return -- after a teammate stepped on his surgically repaired left foot in a walkthrough. He missed 8 games, returning in Week 12.
  • Apr 13, 2016 | Pedal Foot Fracture | Watkins fractured his left foot in an April workout training and needed a screw inserted.
  • Oct 18, 2015 | Pedal Ankle Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1 | Watkins sprained his left ankle on a TD reception in Week 6 and missed the next 2 games.
  • Sep 27, 2015 | Leg Calf Strain | Watkins suffered a reportedly "mild" strain to his left calf against the Dolphins in Week 3 but did miss 2 games.
  • Aug 17, 2015 | Thigh Glute Strain | Watkins sat out the final 3 preseason games with a glute injury.
  • Nov 30, 2014 | Inguinal Hip Tear | Watkins had minor surgery after the season to fix a slight tear in the labrum in his hip. The injury cost him no game time.
  • Nov 5, 2014 | Inguinal Groin Pull Grade 1 | Watkins had a minor groin pull in practice coming out of the Week 9 bye that did not cost him any playing time.
  • Aug 28, 2014 | Chest Rib Bruise | Watkins aggravated a previous rib bruise and left the preseason game against the Steelers.
  • Aug 16, 2014 | Chest Rib Bruise | The rookie missed 1 preseason game after sustaining a rib bruise in the 3rd preseason game.

Definitely won’t argue there but he has started at least 8 games every year he’s been in the league. He hasn’t missed an entire season. I’m just saying if you really feel comfortable counting on Parris as having a huge role this year you may be in for another disappointment 

(obviously I hope he plays all year and I am a fan of parris) 

1 hour ago, Mick12Maher said:

Definitely won’t argue there but he has started at least 8 games every year he’s been in the league. He hasn’t missed an entire season. I’m just saying if you really feel comfortable counting on Parris as having a huge role this year you may be in for another disappointment 

(obviously I hope he plays all year and I am a fan of parris) 

The flip side of even mentioning Parris is why add another WR with injury history though Sammy and Parris' injury histories may be apples and oranges at this time. No one is comfortable having Parris, IMO, given what we have gotten from him so far. Enough is enough, let us get someone with less mileage and injury history from the draft. The ROI on rookie WRs was real good with Lamb, Higgins, Pittman, Claypool etc. contributing real well last year. This draft class is just as stellar. We will get better bang for the buck and just as much production if we double dip if necessary. Just get someone with good hands, little injury history and is a good system fit. 

The downside of Watkins trumps his upside, and that is what it all boils down to, without playing the guessing game if those 8 games he is healthy for is during the playoffs or well before the playoffs. If I am taking a risk on a player with injury history, I would do so with Julio Jones, the upside trumps the downside like Bob Sanders that we had when healthy. At least that is my take on it. 

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The flip side of even mentioning Parris is why add another WR with injury history though Sammy and Parris' injury histories may be apples and oranges at this time. No one is comfortable having Parris, IMO, given what we have gotten from him so far. Enough is enough, let us get someone with less mileage and injury history from the draft. The ROI on rookie WRs was real good with Lamb, Higgins, Pittman, Claypool etc. contributing real well last year. This draft class is just as stellar. We will get better bang for the buck and just as much production if we double dip if necessary. Just get someone with good hands, little injury history and is a good system fit. 

The downside of Watkins trumps his upside, and that is what it all boils down to, without playing the guessing game if those 8 games he is healthy for is during the playoffs or well before the playoffs. If I am taking a risk on a player with injury history, I would do so with Julio Jones, the upside trumps the downside like Bob Sanders that we had when healthy. At least that is my take on it. 

Good point. I will also add Watkins has missed 14 games last 3 years TY has missed 9. I love TY but at this point I’m not even sure the right answer. 

23 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks for this post@NewColtsFan. I was trying to explain this in another thread the other day and folks just don't want to hear it. The cupboard is far from bare with the loss of Autry. ESPECIALLY if we give Houston another one year deal. This team will be better in 2021 just because of the number of super young guys that are key contributors having another year of experience in the NFL. The D line is no exception. If you look at the PFF grades for Autry, vs. these young guys, they are not that much different with the exception of Banogu. Having said that, I expect Lewis, Turay (if he can heal up from that nasty injury) and Banogu to be better in 2021 than 2020. I wouldn't have said the same about Autry. I don't get the doom and gloomers. This team is headed up. I would love to add an impact rusher and LT in the draft, but if we sign the Davenport kid from Miami, it appears we will have a serviceable starter at LT to let the rookie get up to speed. This team should be really good. No idea what means in terms of record, but they will definitely have a young and exciting roster that will be the envy of the vast majority of the league.

37 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Reich pretty much said that Watkins is just Insurance if they can’t bring TY back. If TY doesn’t make his mind up soon Ballard may just move on. All his trolling on twitter is getting old. You either want to come back or you don’t.

Looks like Ballard called Hilton bluff he’s coming back.

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Given the size of the contract (10m) couldn’t it also be said that TYH called Ballard’s bluff?

I think so.   This cuts both ways. 

I saw a rumor that someone else was offering more money, but ultimately TY decided to come back. Not sure what that has to do with this, but thought it was interesting. Not sure anybody was bluffing. I'm guessing Ballard gave a number and TY and his team took some time to decide what they thought would be best for him. Just glad he is back. Would have ben weird seeing him in another jersey.

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Given the size of the contract (10m) couldn’t it also be said that TYH called Ballard’s bluff?

I think so.   This cuts both ways. 

Yeah maybe bringing Watkins over moved the stalemate. Reportedly the Ravens offered more but WRs hardly get used in that system it’s mainly RBs and TEs so I think he made the right choice.

Archived