Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sammy Watkins to visit the Colts

1959Colts

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

Hilton is a colts legend they should not be treated the same way.

There’s a difference between being a popular player,  which TYH absolutely is...   and a Colts “Legend” which Hilton absolutely is NOT.   Never has been that.    Big difference.

Oh, and welcome Chloe.  I guess we’ll have to learn your new name. 

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

There’s a difference between being a popular player,  which TYH absolutely is...   and a Colts “Legend” which Hilton absolutely is NOT.   Never has been that.    Big difference.

Oh, and welcome Chloe.  I guess we’ll have to learn your new name. 

Yeah I would agree but I would say TY has had a good career with a few great moments sprinkled in. Legends here are Marvin and Reggie in the Indianapolis era IMO. 

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I would agree but I would say TY has had a good career with a few great moments sprinkled in. Legends here are Marvin and Reggie in the Indianapolis era IMO. 

Agreed 100 percent!  

Hilton has had a very good career.   Glad we drafted him.  He’s had many great moments.  His career highlight tape will be long and impressive.   But he falls well short of Legend status.  (Just my two cents and often not worth even that much!)  :thmup:

2 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Drafting is cheaper, yes.  And i agree the preferred route.  But you could say that for every position, really.

The success rates fir drafted LTs and edge are low.  So, if you need one NOW, you may be better served to spend the money (reasonably) , and grab a FA with some actual history of production in the league.

But hopefully, you rotate your draft picks so you stock depth at all positions, and groom from within.  Easier said then done, especially how teams are regularly changing coaching staffs and GMs.

I like FA mainly to “cherry pick” , and add key players to positions that areweak or important and you just cant find the guy thru the draft.  But you always have a handfull of GMs on the hot seat or ate desperate that drive the prices too high. 
Its very complicated.

They have to develop someone at LT or get lucky and draft a pick outside the top two rounds. They cant continue to invest 1st round picks in the Oline. 

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Agreed 100 percent!  

Hilton has had a very good career.   Glad we drafted him.  He’s had many great moments.  His career highlight tape will be long and impressive.   But he falls well short of Legend status.  (Just my two cents and often not worth even that much!)  :thmup:

Yeah I have Marvin and Reggie at great level status for their career's, one could debate TY for his career is at very good status, good at worse anyway.

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

They have to develop someone at LT or get lucky and draft a pick outside the top two rounds. They cant continue to invest 1st round picks in the Oline. 

Unique situation.  No time for development at Lt unless they feel Holden or someone else can step up in meantime.

Nobody argues drafting and developing at EVERY position.

The answer to LT is not solved at the moment.  But theres time.

Ballard will continue to look at FAs, cuts to come, and of course the draft.  Its not like going to the store and buying the LT of your dreams.  Whether FA or draft, we are competing with 31 other teams.  And some of tgem arent very smart with their money .  And we cant control who is picked ahead of us.

Patience is a virtue.

5 minutes ago, colts89 said:

Getting Watkins and Hilton returning would solidify this corps pretty well, but hopefully we could get another weapon at the TE spot either in the draft or FA/trade

I don’t think the goal is to sign both.  Not Hilton AND Watkins.   I think it’s one OR the other.

The other receiver we might acquire would come from the draft. 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t think the goal is to sign both.  Not Hilton AND Watkins.   I think it’s one OR the other.

The other receiver we might acquire would come from the draft. 

Of course I can never figure out what Ballard may do but I am thinking he goes LT in round 1, Edge Rusher in round 2, and drafts another WR in round 4. We don't have a 3rd round pick as you know. 

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Of course I can never figure out what Ballard may do but I am thinking he goes LT in round 1, Edge Rusher in round 2, and drafts another WR in round 4. We don't have a 3rd round pick as you know. 

If he goes that way that's drafting by need not BPA like we're always told lol.

I waited a bit to respond to this news and haven’t read any responses so far. And yep, I stand by my initial gut feeling. 

Watkins when healthy is a damn good receiver, but he’s only good for about half the games. I don’t often question the Colts front office because I mostly agree with them. However in this case, I find myself asking why. Doesn’t make much sense to me to even entertain this. 

36 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I’m with you every step.  

I think we want to trade down and try to collect a 3 and use that in a corner.   This is a very good corner class, and I think we’d like to take a bite of that apple.  And I think the WR class is so good and so deep that we will get a good WR in that round. 

2 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

I waited a bit to respond to this news and haven’t read any responses so far. And yep, I stand by my initial gut feeling. 

Watkins when healthy is a damn good receiver, but he’s only good for about half the games. I don’t often question the Colts front office because I mostly agree with them. However in this case, I find myself asking why. Doesn’t make much sense to me to even entertain this. 

With his injury history, I don’t think he will get more than one year prove-you-can-stay-healthy offers, so if the price is right it might be worth taking that risk on. Might turn out to be a nice bridge option for us. Everybody can get injured week one, like Funchess so I’m open if the price is low.

2 minutes ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

Because they would have taken an offer if there had been one.

I don’t know why you’d think that.   Plenty of players get offers from teams they don’t want to play for, for a variety of reasons.   They turn around and shop that offer to teams they’d rather play for and go from there. 

3 hours ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

With his injury history, I don’t think he will get more than one year prove-you-can-stay-healthy offers, so if the price is right it might be worth taking that risk on. Might turn out to be a nice bridge option for us. Everybody can get injured week one, like Funchess so I’m open if the price is low.

I would rather invest an entire offseason in a mid-to-late round receiver who has no injury history than someone who has proven time and again that he will be injured. Watkins sports a 96% chance of injury in 2021. Those are practice snaps you cannot get back. 

I’d roll the dice on Patmon before Watkins, and it’s not even a hard decision. 

7 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

My thoughts exactly!! The availability with ability is important. Too much injury history for me to feel comfortable this guy will survive the grind of an entire season. 

Rather double dip into the draft and save the money for other positions. TY, I can understand wanting him back but not Watkins. It’d be like Grigson’s reclamation projects with Andre Johnson, Hakeem Nicks and DHB all over again.

When i spoke about Watkins i thought about him as a depth player. A player who could upgrade on somebody like Marcus Johnson. Make the matchups a bit more difficult. Sammy can go deep and work underneath. I didnt see him as our #1 receiver if we even have one in this offense bc i liked how things were employed under Rivers with us just going to the open man. I still like him in that role for us but availability is the key.

16 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

If you’re right it’s not because you know anything.    It would fall under the category of a broken clock being right twice a day.

Banogu played 26% of the defensive snaps in 2019. He played 10% in 2020. That may not be his fault though because he was inactive for five games. That's not an indicator of a player ascending. Its literally the opposite. But as you say how would the poster have any inclination that Banogu is done?

If youre going to condescend please please please at least know what youre talking about.

Archived