Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sammy Watkins to visit the Colts

1959Colts

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/24/2021 at 10:07 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we traded Nelson we would get at least a 1st round pick and probably a 2nd round pick, if not a 2nd a 3rd along with that 1st. Which team is impossible to answer because there are 31 other teams lol, but that would be his value in my eye's. 

I doubt u would get a 1st. Honestly, I am not sure what  u would get for a guard who is about to get 20 million a year

On 3/24/2021 at 9:53 PM, WoolMagnet said:

That is a good question.

Can u think of any other guards who were traded?

I would think his value would be close to the top tackles.  Not Trent williams type stuff, but top OT i would think.  
  The whole league took notice how that one guy changed not only our OL, but arguably the tone of our whole team.   
  I dont think its a coincidence WE started being the bulky team on the field about the same time he showed up.  This dude is DIFFERENT.   Different on the level of like a Buckner is on D .  They affect everyone around them.

But as far as value?  Good question, but I’d keep him and give him the $20m per.  You keep those guys when you are lucky enough to find them.

Well your theory is going to be tested this year when most likely a rookie LT lines up beside Nelson. If he is a impactful as u say, Castanzo's loss wont be felt.

17 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Well your theory is going to be tested this year when most likely a rookie LT lines up beside Nelson. If he is a impactful as u say, Castanzo's loss wont be felt.

I thought our O.Line played good without AC last year when AC was out, it wasn't great but was good. Most of that had to do with Nelson.

16 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Gawd.

Overly-dramatic much?

Yea, Nelson is so good that we dont even need a guy left of him.... he can handle all the way to the sideline.  We can add another receiver on the field.  That’ll freak ‘em out!

18 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

It doesn’t matter how great Nelson is, the world doesn’t exist that a player of Castanzo’s caliber retires, and his loss isn’t felt.   Whoever replaces AC won’t be as good.  

Nelson is the best guard in football, but even he won’t be able to help AC’s replacement enough their first year to overcome the loss of Castanzo. 

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It doesn’t matter how great Nelson is, the world doesn’t exist that a player of Castanzo’s caliber retires, and his loss isn’t felt.   Whoever replaces AC won’t be as good.  

Nelson is the best guard in football, but even he won’t be able to help AC’s replacement enough their first year to overcome the loss of Castanzo. 

Why does it seem like we’re teaching kindergarten sometimes?

”yes Johnny, the square one  goes in the round hole.  Whatever you say...,,, nappy time now.”

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yeah AC was good, I was surprised our O.line still played good without him at times but that was for a short stint. Nelson was a huge reason though. If we get a LT that ends up being below average or even bad, that isn't Nelson's fault as he can only cover up so many things playing OG. If we get a LT that is even above average sometimes good, our O.Line will be great IMO factoring in Nelson, Kelly, and Smith.

14 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Why does it seem like we’re teaching kindergarten sometimes?

”yes Johnny, the square one  goes in the round hole.  Whatever you say...,,, nappy time now.”

If we’re going by West Coast time, then you’re in well before the midnight deadline!   And you are the Winner of the Funniest Post of the Day!     Heck, could turn out to be the Funniest of the Week!!       :thmup:

:colts:

(PS — Thanks,  I needed that!)

15 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

1y/6m

I’m just still not interested. I really wouldn’t even be interested at vet minimum. 

It’s a huge year for Campbell. We need to actually see what we drafted this year. Because we’ve got a decision to make on him coming up real quick, so the more he plays the easier that decision is to make when it’s time. 

Pittman had a really encouraging rookie season. At this point the consensus (at least should be) is that Pittman is likely to be a fixture here past his rookie deal, even over Campbell if we have to choose one or the other for some reason. And there’s a lot of expectations for him to build on that rookie season. 

Watkins just gets in the way of all of that. He wouldn’t be a long-term answer, and trying to shoehorn him into the offense at the expense of Campbell or Pittman just doesn’t make sense to me. Even if he’d be an immediate upgrade over one or both of them. 

We spent plenty of draft capital to get those guys, and for me personally we’re at the point where we have Hilton as the leader of the position group, and it’s time to see if we’re going to sink or swim with those guys. With Hilton being on a 1 year deal it’s not impossible that we go into 2022 with those two as 1 and 2 on the DC, or just be the most tenured WRs we’ve got. 

Glad Hilton is back to bring the veteran presence, and I’m fine going into this season with our current WRs and seeing what happens. 

19 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Gawd.

Overly-dramatic much?

Yea, Nelson is so good that we dont even need a guy left of him.... he can handle all the way to the sideline.  We can add another receiver on the field.  That’ll freak ‘em out!

At least u have a plan lol

1 hour ago, John Waylon said:

I’m just still not interested. I really wouldn’t even be interested at vet minimum. 

It’s a huge year for Campbell. We need to actually see what we drafted this year. Because we’ve got a decision to make on him coming up real quick, so the more he plays the easier that decision is to make when it’s time. 

Pittman had a really encouraging rookie season. At this point the consensus (at least should be) is that Pittman is likely to be a fixture here past his rookie deal, even over Campbell if we have to choose one or the other for some reason. And there’s a lot of expectations for him to build on that rookie season. 

Watkins just gets in the way of all of that. He wouldn’t be a long-term answer, and trying to shoehorn him into the offense at the expense of Campbell or Pittman just doesn’t make sense to me. Even if he’d be an immediate upgrade over one or both of them. 

We spent plenty of draft capital to get those guys, and for me personally we’re at the point where we have Hilton as the leader of the position group, and it’s time to see if we’re going to sink or swim with those guys. With Hilton being on a 1 year deal it’s not impossible that we go into 2022 with those two as 1 and 2 on the DC, or just be the most tenured WRs we’ve got. 

Glad Hilton is back to bring the veteran presence, and I’m fine going into this season with our current WRs and seeing what happens. 

I'm not really a fan of SW, but I look at it differently. Watkins wouldn't be an impediment to Pittman (who is an X) or Campbell. He's a Z/slot, and if they had signed him, Campbell, if healthy wouldn't have lost snaps to Watkins. Watkins would have played whatever position Campbell didn't. And even if they would have re-signed TY, and signed SW, only TY would have been at risk of losing snaps IMO. It's likely he would have just been the 4th WR.

Archived