Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free Agency Archive Thread (Days 1-4)

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’ll say up front, I could easily be wrong on this, but given his trend line the last few years, if we bring back TYH, I’d say our receivers would be Pittman-1, Campbell, if he can stay healthy, 2, Hilton-3 and Pascal-4.  

Of course this is subject to change due to health plus who we might add in the draft. 

Pittman is absolutely a #1. Just clean up the moves a bit. 

• Shive changed the title to Free Agency Day 4 and beyond!
  • Shive changed the title to Free Agency: Day 4 and beyond!
  • Shive locked this topic
2 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

That's what I hope.

Curious... Why do you hope for that? Other than just the mere act of signing some players or signing sentimental favorite players. Why do you hope those three are resigned?

The entire offseason, as short as it might be at this point, MANY have clamored for severe upgrades at all three of the positions those players you listed reside in. So again, tell me why you hope those three are resigned when all three of those positions are positions that need a severe upgrade over those three players you hope are resigned?

I can't wait for this...

3 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Curious... Why do you hope for that? Other than just the mere act of signing some players or signing sentimental favorite players. Why do you hope those three are resigned?

The entire offseason, as short as it might be at this point, MANY have clamored for severe upgrades at all three of the positions those players you listed reside in. So again, tell me why you hope those three are resigned when all three of those positions are positions that need a severe upgrade over those three players you hope are resigned?

I can't wait for this...

Houston because Colts lost Autry and cant afford to lose 2

Hilton because the value of WRs is down and could be cheap

Rhodes because he was a baller last season 

7 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I look forward to the Fire Ballard trainwreck threads this weekend.

:sarcasm:

tenor.gif

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Probably more of our own today.  TY, Houston and Rhodes.

This is the hope..

3 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Houston because Colts lost Autry and cant afford to lose 2

Hilton because the value of WRs is down and could be cheap

Rhodes because he was a baller last season 

Rhodes I can see maybe. The other two and the reasons you gave, hogwash and unacceptable. The reason you gave for Houston would be inconsequential if Ballard went and spent some money to grab the upgrades that WERE available. TY being cheap is not a an acceptable reason. You'd be cheaper and could probably catch 40 balls if they threw to you so why don't you join the Colts receiving core? Sound silly? That's my point in comparison to your answers... Come on Dan. Stop getting comfortable with accepting mediocrity

Still some good players available (not including Colts players): 

WR: Golladay, Fuller, Smith-Schuster, Tate, Reynolds, Humphries, Watkins 

TE: Arnold, Rudolph

T: Okung, Villanueva, Fisher, Reiff, Wagner 

EDGE: Ingram, Clowney, Kpassagnon, Dunlap 

CB: Sherman, Dunbar, Hayward, Williams, Jackson, King II, Butler, Hill, Bouye 

S: Neal, Tartt, Boston, Jackson, Woods, Gibson 

2 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I can't wait for this...

Goodness!  Being challenged already, and it's not even 9:30 am.

Ok -- time for a longer answer.

We have multiple needs, not just improvements at various positions, but plugging holes in the dam, so to speak, as well as maintaining a certain amount of our salary cap for the upcoming signings of Leonard and Smith to their new contracts.  We had a QB situation to deal with.  We have a LT situation to deal with.  We have a pass rush situation to deal with.  A receiving corps situation to deal with.  And a defensive back situation to deal with.  And we don't have the means to splurge on everything.  We have to make some choices that are less than amazing, still get the job done, and retain flexibility in the salary cap.

Of all the free agents on our own roster, the ones that I wanted renewed the most were Houston, Hilton, and Rhodes.  They gave us the best continuity at the necessary positions at the most reasonable price.  Yes, it would be wonderful to go out there and spend big dollars on big names.  But in two years we would be in the same place that the Titans are in now.

If you resign Houston, Hilton, and Rhodes, you no longer have desperate needs at those positions.  It frees you up to address LT early in the draft.  And you can still draft a DE (like Jaelen Phillips) early if you want to.  And you can still draft a CB (like Israel Mukuamu) later if you want to.

You just can't splurge on any single player right now.  Sometimes the best choice is to keep your own.

4 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Rhodes I can see maybe. The other two and the reasons you gave, hogwash and unacceptable. The reason you gave for Houston would be inconsequential if Ballard went and spent some money to grab the upgrades that WERE available. TY being cheap is not a an acceptable reason. You'd be cheaper and could probably catch 40 balls if they threw to you so why don't you join the Colts receiving core? Sound silly? That's my point in comparison to your answers... Come on Dan. Stop getting comfortable with accepting mediocrity

It’s not about accepting mediocrity. Houston on a team friendly deal would be a win. He was amongst the top 4-5 DEs in the league in win percentages. I’d rather only have to get one DE up to speed in our system vs two. 

but to your other point, I’m fine with moving on from TY, or bringing him back, he’s replaceable at this point but there are some pros to bringing him back. 

now to the other point, you have no idea if we were out bid or not. It wouldn’t be the first time that we were the highest bidder and a player chose elsewhere to be. It happened last year in fact. Twice! There’s a multitude of factors going into FA. It isn’t as simple as Madden where you just be the highest bidder and the guy signs with you. So maybe we weren’t the highest and maybe we were, you , me , no one on this forum will know the full scale of how things went down. 

3 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Goodness!  Being challenged already, and it's not even 9:30 am.

Ok -- time for a longer answer.

We have multiple needs, not just improvements at various positions, but plugging holes in the dam, so to speak, as well as maintaining a certain amount of our salary cap for the upcoming signings of Leonard and Smith to their new contracts.  We had a QB situation to deal with.  We have a LT situation to deal with.  We have a pass rush situation to deal with.  A receiving corps situation to deal with.  And a defensive back situation to deal with.  And we don't have the means to splurge on everything.  We have to make some choices that are less than amazing, still get the job done, and retain flexibility in the salary cap.

Of all the free agents on our own roster, the ones that I wanted renewed the most were Houston, Hilton, and Rhodes.  They gave us the best continuity at the necessary positions at the most reasonable price.  Yes, it would be wonderful to go out there and spend big dollars on big names.  But in two years we would be in the same place that the Titans are in now.

If you resign Houston, Hilton, and Rhodes, you no longer have desperate needs at those positions.  It frees you up to address LT early in the draft.  And you can still draft a DE (like Jaelen Phillips) early if you want to.  And you can still draft a CB (like Israel Mukuamu) later if you want to.

You just can't splurge on any single player right now.  Sometimes the best choice is to keep your own.

Ok thank you for that. I respect your opinion and in turn I respectively 1000% disagree on every point you just made. This is the same reasons that will and always reoccur in one form or another as each year passes if we continue to let it. To quote my buddy Chester, I'm breaking the habit tonight!!

29 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Probably more of our own today.  TY, Houston and Rhodes.

Im sure all have been offered and Ballard is letting them see if anyone offers more. It seems like a respect thing from ballard, saying i want you here but we cant just hand out money to everyone

3 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Ok thank you for that. I respect your opinion and in turn I respectively 1000% disagree on every point you just made. This is the same reasons that will and always reoccur in one form or another as each year passes if we continue to let it. To quote my buddy Chester, I'm breaking the habit tonight!!

No problem!  Disagreeing is fine.

There's a reason why neither one of us is an NFL general manager.  We're both amateurs at this.  And there's nothing that says either one of us would be any better at this than Dan Snyder or Jerry Jones.  :) 

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

It’s not about accepting mediocrity. Houston on a team friendly deal would be a win. He was amongst the top 4-5 DEs in the league in win percentages. I’d rather only have to get one DE up to speed in our system vs two. 

but to your other point, I’m fine with moving on from TY, or bringing him back, he’s replaceable at this point but there are some pros to bringing him back. 

now to the other point, you have no idea if we were out bid or not. It wouldn’t be the first time that we were the highest bidder and a player chose elsewhere to be. It happened last year in fact. Twice! There’s a multitude of factors going into FA. It isn’t as simple as Madden where you just be the highest bidder and the guy signs with you. So maybe we weren’t the highest and maybe we were, you , me , no one on this forum will know the full scale of how things went down. 

If we were outbid we shouldn't have been. We have a very player friendly team, ideal spot, bright future, etc... If this is about the absurdity of money fine, but some of these contracts like the Reddick deal didn't seem that bad and that's what is troubling here. Somebody on here says a few times that Ballard isn't a closer. There might be something to that if we are consistently getting outbid or whatever you want to call it. IDK, it just seems odd that we always are labeled as a preferred destination yet we always seem to come away with scrapola... At some point you gotta pay to play

Look I know I'm viewed as a buffoon but I don't covet any of these guys. I'm not happy to save a couple nickels on an injury prone RB we didn't have a REAL need for. I'm all for winning, but at the end of the day this team, like all others, need talent. In some cases our drafted players are coming along at better than normal rates and in most other cases they are not and in those areas we need to influx talent to complete the unit. Waiting around for some of these players at positions that drive the NFL landscape is getting old and out dated. ER and WR as examples, yet I read we want a playmaking TE.

Lest me remind everyone on here that this team has not had a true number one receiver in over a decade and if any of you think Pittman is going to be that guy you gotta stop drinking the bong water. In order for Pittman to reach his full potential he cannot be the defacto number one on the Colts as TY was. It will ruin his potential like TY's was ruined here. Just my opinion

I really hope I am wrong about my views, but as each year goes by it's harder for me not seriously question what's going on here

35 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I can't wait for this...

Because with those players we were an 11-5 team.  And a couple of plays from the AFCCG.

We have some holes to fill but those players were not issues.  It would be a lot better to get those players under contract THEN fill the actual holes.  Like LT another pass rush a CB and WR

Of those positions CB and WR can be taken care of sometime in the draft.    Need a vet LT and also a rookie to work into the position.

This team is not as far off as some of you may think.     If Wentz can make some deep throws, then this team is a whole lot better and TY is a deep ball guy.  Add in Campbell and the couple that opted out and we really don't need to be all in with FA.

I see them adding a couple more players but no big names.  Possibly Clowney to take the role of Autry and I only say Clowney because I don't think he is going to get huge money.

7 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Waiting around for some of these players at positions that drive the NFL landscape is getting old and out dated. ER and WR as examples, yet I read we want a playmaking TE.

Edge Rusher is a position in Free Agency that most teams vastly overpay for and I'm ok with not doing that. Here's some of the prominent ones and what they signed for from my FA Tracker thread:

• Shaquil Barrett, Buccaneers (re-signed for 4-years, $72M)
  • Bud Dupree, Steelers (signed with Titans for 5 years, $85M)
  • Matthew Judon, Ravens (signed with Patriots for 4 years, $56M)
  • Yannick Ngakuoe, Ravens (signed with Raiders for 2 years, $26M)
  • Carl Lawson, Bengals (signed with Jets for 3 years, $45M)
  • Leonard Floyd, Rams (re-signed for 4 years, $64M)
  • Trey Hendrickson, Saints (signed by Bengals for 4 years, $60M)
  • Romeo Okwara, Lions (re-signed for 3 years, $39M)

Which of those was a good team and contract fit for us?

7 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Lest me remind everyone on here that this team has not had a true number one receiver in over a decade and if any of you think Pittman is going to be that guy you gotta stop drinking the bong water. In order for Pittman to reach his full potential he cannot be the defacto number one on the Colts as TY was. It will ruin his potential like TY's was ruined here. Just my opinion

TY has been a top WR in the league for most of his career. Every year he had Luck as his QB (someone that could throw a good deep ball to take advantage of his skillset), he was over 1k yds receiving and was a 4 time Pro-bowler. His potential wasn't ruined here and I don't see any reason Pittman's would be either. You keep wondering why you're the target of so much scrutiny lately, but then you come out with these ridiculous takes that have no basis in fact.

15 minutes ago, BluesGirl said:

Because with those players we were an 11-5 team.  And a couple of plays from the AFCCG.

We have some holes to fill but those players were not issues.  It would be a lot better to get those players under contract THEN fill the actual holes.  Like LT another pass rush a CB and WR

Of those positions CB and WR can be taken care of sometime in the draft.    Need a vet LT and also a rookie to work into the position.

This team is not as far off as some of you may think.     If Wentz can make some deep throws, then this team is a whole lot better and TY is a deep ball guy.  Add in Campbell and the couple that opted out and we really don't need to be all in with FA.

I see them adding a couple more players but no big names.  Possibly Clowney to take the role of Autry and I only say Clowney because I don't think he is going to get huge money.

I agree....to some degree.

Those players were on an 11-5 team, but you can't deny that Houston is on a decline. He's getting older and nearing the end of his career. You can't expect him to keep up the same level of performance. If we bring him back and he starts, then we are weaker at that position simply due to decline.

I am in favor of re-signing T.Y. because I'm curious how well he would play with Wentz, who has a similar skillset to Luck (ability to elude the rush and throw deep accurately). It may work well with T.Y.'s skillset and we may see a reemergence.

I also think we should re-sign Rhodes. He was our best corner last year, but he was playing on a prove-it one-year contract. Many players have gone 100% for just 1 year, received a larger multiple year contract and then took their foot off of the pedal. That's what I'm worried about with Rhodes, especially given his age.

34 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Look I know I'm viewed as a buffoon but I don't covet any of these guys. I'm not happy to save a couple nickels on an injury prone RB we didn't have a REAL need for. I'm all for winning, but at the end of the day this team, like all others, need talent. In some cases our drafted players are coming along at better than normal rates and in most other cases they are not and in those areas we need to influx talent to complete the unit. Waiting around for some of these players at positions that drive the NFL landscape is getting old and out dated. ER and WR as examples, yet I read we want a playmaking TE.

I really hope I am wrong about my views, but as each year goes by it's harder for me not seriously question what's going on here

Over a decade?

Hilton wasn’t a true number one?   Reggie Wayne wasn’t a true number one?   

That’s going to come as a big surprise to a lot of people. 

11 minutes ago, Shive said:

Edge Rusher is a position in Free Agency that most teams vastly overpay for and I'm ok with not doing that. Here's some of the prominent ones and what they signed for from my FA Tracker thread:

• Shaquil Barrett, Buccaneers (re-signed for 4-years, $72M)
  • Bud Dupree, Steelers (signed with Titans for 5 years, $85M)
  • Matthew Judon, Ravens (signed with Patriots for 4 years, $56M)
  • Yannick Ngakuoe, Ravens (signed with Raiders for 2 years, $26M)
  • Carl Lawson, Bengals (signed with Jets for 3 years, $45M)
  • Leonard Floyd, Rams (re-signed for 4 years, $64M)
  • Trey Hendrickson, Saints (signed by Bengals for 4 years, $60M)
  • Romeo Okwara, Lions (re-signed for 3 years, $39M)

Which of those was a good team and contract fit for us?

TY has been a top WR in the league for most of his career. Every year he had Luck as his QB (someone that could throw a good deep ball to take advantage of his skillset), he was over 1k yds receiving and was a 4 time Pro-bowler. His potential wasn't ruined here and I don't see any reason Pittman's would be either. You keep wondering why you're the target of so much scrutiny lately, but then you come out with these ridiculous takes that have no basis in fact.

TY is not and never has been an NFL prototypical number 1 receiver. Ever. TY has been a defacto number one receiver on the Colts. When has TY ever been in the same converstaion as Julio, Antonio Brown, Nuk, Andre Johnson, Tyreek Hill, AJ Green, Larry fitzgerald, etc.. you get the point. TY is and always has been Chris Godwin that had to be Mike Evans based on circumstance. 

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Over a decade?

Hilton wasn’t a true number one?   Reggie Wayne wasn’t a true number one?   

That’s going to come as a big surprise to a lot of people. 

Last True number one was Reggie after Marvin. If that was less than decade ago then my bad. TY has never been an NFL number 1. He's been a Colts number one for sure. There is a huge difference

2 minutes ago, Indeee said:

TY is not and never has been an NFL prototypical number 1 receiver. Ever. TY has been a defacto number one receiver on the Colts. When has TY ever been in the same converstaion as Julio, Antonio Brown, Nuk, Andre Johnson, Tyreek Hill, AJ Green, Larry fitzgerald, etc.. you get the point. TY is and always has been Chris Godwin that had to be Mike Evans based on circumstance. 

I'm gonna agree with you on this one.  When TY Hilton was drafted, he was an undersized, quick receiver from a minor school.  He had "slot receiver" written all over him.  But he worked hard at his craft, and earned the starting Z position on the team.  Over the course of his career, through circumstance and sheer competence, he became the best receiver on the team, and one of the better ones in the league, earning multiple pro bowls.  But the fact remained that he was still not a true #1.  Not in build.  Not in play style.  Not in scheme requirements.  Yes, he was the best WR on the team.  And that's what made our team a bit off-spec.  We had to design our offense around a WR that needed to get further downfield to be effective.  Whose strength was not catching in traffic, but creating separation.  I love TY.  But, yes, we haven't had a true #1 since Reggie.

9 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Last True number one was Reggie after Marvin. If that was less than decade ago then my bad. TY has never been an NFL number 1. He's been a Colts number one for sure. There is a huge difference

I love the way you trash Colts players but love players from other teams. 

Strange. 

54 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Give it up then. The Pats spent big time so might be an attractive new favoritefor you. They even spent on a WR, your favolrite position.

27 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I'm just going to say that I vehemently disagree. I am still curious about my first question about ERs that you didn't answer.

Archived