Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Ballard end of season presser tomorrow 1 pm


Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

My  guess is because they don’t know yet. Depends on who they get in FA or where the draft falls. Because all he really said was once TC hit they would work to get the best five out there. He seemed to like Holden.

 

Gonna make another definitive statement, and feel free to blast me if I'm wrong: They aren't moving Nelson to LT.

 

5 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Provided Rivers doesn't drop off or fall off a cliff, I'd agree. Actually, if he stays constant, he might be better next year simply because he'd have that history with the team and the slow start this year shouldn't be a problem.

 

If we were better in the red zone -- not just Rivers, but the OL, receivers, play calling, etc. -- our offense could have been a lot higher ranked, statistically.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My takes:  wants to keep Rivers but both sides need time   likes Eason but isn’t sold on him as the backup yet let alone the starter.  I don’t expect the Colts to roll with him as the starte

Btw, if there's no Combine, this is gonna be one of the worst drafts in a while for a lot of teams.

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

One thing for certain Eason will not be the starting QB next season.  Anyone expecting that can forget about it.  He said the right thing about wanting Rivers back but the 30 day window will afford the opportunity for a lot of different scenarios to develop.  I get the impression that if he could find a longer term option that he liked he would prefer that option.  I also got the impression he would like to bring TY back but not as a No. 1. and I could see Houston back as well.  I think he would like to bring back Rhodes but as usual he will not get into a bidding war.  He mentioned that the Colt's drafted Manning and Luck because they finished last.  He is not a risk taker and doesn't want to go there obviously so I think it's more likely Rivers comes back or we acquire another veteran QB.  

Yep. Its rivers or it will be someone like Wentz or Stafford. A younger vet. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Second, I honestly don't think they will bring Rivers back no matter what Rivers decide to do.

Everytime he got the QB question, he praised Rivers, but again and again he explained that they as an organisation had to do their job. And when asked about Brissette, he knew he's not coming back, as he literally had screwed him over.

 

 

Ballard screwed over JB? Or JB screwed over Ballard?

 

I don't agree with either...but the latter is more close to reality I guess. Ballard gave him a chance...and he didn't take advantage.

 

But on Ballard's side...he ripped up JB's rookie deal...gave him a $30M two-year extension...before the season started. They gave him a massive raise and a whole season to audition for the starting QB spot. And then when it was clear they needed to go in another direction...they still paid his roster bonus and carried his bloated cap hit all season as the backup QB (even found ways to get him on the field). They love JB and have (somewhat) coddled him for years. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Mackrel829 said:

 

He'll be expensive for sure but would be worth every penny. Gives Rivers a truly legit number 1, in addition to Pittman and Hilton, and would be invaluable if the next QB ends up being young and/or inexperienced.

 

I think this year's team with Allen Robinson is a Superbowl contender.

 

They were a Super Bowl contender this year without Robinson.  And that was with a guy they were depending on in Campbell missing essentially the entire season.

 

The point is they don't need to invest the resources required to get Robinson.  Those funds will be better spent elsewhere.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The thing with Mack though is I don’t think he will get paid. They might be able to get him back for a year.

Yep.  I can't imagine any team spending much on an Achilles RB.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Not my read at all because he specifically said if he was five years younger. Then went on to say because he only has a year left they they need to look at all options. He was very clear. He wasn’t vague at all where we need to interpret what he meant.

You keep saying this over and over but it’s actually very confusing. Like if a guy proposed to me and I said “I want to, but the prudent thing is to check out all other options.”

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

I don't know the answer to any of those questions. I just think the staff believes they have the guy you're asking for, and they're going to proceed with him penciled in for that role.

 

I could see them adding another receiver, but not for big money. JMO

 

I think they Need a top #1 type of receiver/playmaker, but have my doubts they get one.

I'd like a true #1 to pair up with Pittman.  

I cant rely on Campbell or TY, if he's  brought back, for health or major production. 

I think WR is a need and should be addressed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bolts2Colts said:

You keep saying this over and over but it’s actually very confusing. Like if a guy proposed to me and I said “I want to, but the prudent thing is to check out all other options.”

 

I mean, it's not getting married for love, and wanting to be together forever. It's hiring a guy for a specific -- and relatively short -- period of time. So does he want to be here, and how badly, and what kind of money will it take for both sides? 

 

Put it this way, if Rivers was under contract for $15m in 2021, the Colts wouldn't have a whole lot to think about, IMO. He'd be back, if he still wanted to play.

 

Again, just my read.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Boy. Eason didn’t come out of this one looking good. I’ve said I think they want to make him the stalwart backup, but it looks like he’s still got a lot of work to do to get even to that point, so there’s one less possibility for 2021...

Link to post
Share on other sites

As one of the first prognosticators of Rivers coming to Indy (about 11 months ago)...I now say that he will NOT be back next season.

 

Last season, it made a ton of sense last season...the team had just lost its franchise QB months before and needed an immediate upgrade at QB so the team could take a step forward. With Rivers connection to Reich...it was a natural fit. And that's exactly what they got...an immediate upgrade at QB and the team took a step forward by getting to the playoffs.

 

But now the team needs to take the next step. And if Ballard is serious about believing this team is ready to win a SB...he knows what it will take.

 

Ballard just watched Allen torch his defense in the playoffs...making play after play. Earlier in the season, he watched Watson throw all over the field and nearly pull out two different comeback wins (with a far inferior squad). He's well aware of Mahomes and Lamar. All of these AFC teams have young franchise QBs. And to get to a SB...they are in the way.

 

So knowing all of this...Ballard's response is to bring back a 39 year-old Rivers? I don't see it. Of course...I have been wrong about many things...so we will see. The only way I see Rivers coming back is if they draft a QB early and Rivers can serve in that mentor role for a season (possibly even handing over the reigns late into the season). 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

 

Same here. I think he wants Wilson...but that's not likely going to happen.

 

I saw a tweet...that the remaining AFC QBs are all under 26 (Mayfield, Mahomes, Allen, Lamar). Wilson will be a 22 year-old rookie QB. Ballard should move mountains to get him.

And the NFC QBs are the opposite—Brady, Brees and Rodgers are the best of what’s left. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

Gonna make another definitive statement, and feel free to blast me if I'm wrong: They aren't moving Nelson to LT.

 

I kind of heard the opposite, when he said they are gonna put the 5 best Offensive lineman on the field, makes me think that they are definitely adding a early pick at either G or OT, and if that means moving Nelson to LT and putting a new player at guard then that's what they will do. He also said something about trying different combinations this training camp so I think that is when they will explore moving him to LT.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Boy. Eason didn’t come out of this one looking good. I’ve said I think they want to make him the stalwart backup, but it looks like he’s still got a lot of work to do to get even to that point, so there’s one less possibility for 2021...

 

4 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Doesn't seem the Colts were ever that high on Eason. Makes me wonder why they bothered drafting him.

 

They drafted him, then said 'he has to make the team, then he needs to put in a lot of work.' They never signaled that they were expecting him to be a foundational QB for them. But with development, maybe he could be a good starter. 

 

To this point, with no training camp and no preseason, there are a lot of unanswered questions about Eason. But they kept him active all season long, and have only said positive things about him. 

 

I honestly didn't think anything Ballard said today was any different from what they've said about Eason since they drafted him. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

After watching Ballards presser, I noticed a couple of things.

 

First of, it was No surprise that marlon Mack wont be brought back, as that would be downright stupid, with Jonathan Taylor being a legit RB and one of the better in the league. So to invest a lot of money in Mack, would be stupid. I know, nothing is certain, but it sounded like they already were past him.

 

Second, I honestly don't think they will bring Rivers back no matter what Rivers decide to do.

Everytime he got the QB question, he praised Rivers, but again and again he explained that they as an organisation had to do their job. And when asked about Brissette, he knew he's not coming back, as he literally had screwed him over. 

 

So regarding Rivers, and when he spoke of him and that he didn't had the chance to get to know the citizens of indianapolis, and wished him and his family the best, It just sounded like they would move on. I might have got i all wrong, but It just sounded like in that answer midway, that they were leaning toward a new QB, as things needed to shake up in that position.

 

Third, It sounded like Leonard or Big Q would get an extension this year, or that at least one of them would.

 

Interesting. I interpreted that part about Rivers not getting to know the fans in the opposite way. As in, it’s another reason he should come back so he can experience a real season in Indy and the love of the fans. The Twitter mob hates Rivers and I wonder if that is part of his hesitation to come back?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Patrick Miller said:

Doesn't seem the Colts were ever that high on Eason. Makes me wonder why they bothered drafting him.

 

Because he was a 4th round upside play at a very valuable position? FA and UDFA aren't the only ways to find a suitable backup QB.

 

Teams draft QBs all the time...even when they have a starter. Just last year, BUF drafted Fromm and the NYJ drafted Morgan. The season before...NE drafts Stidham. The season before that...PIT drafts Rudolph. 

 

These teams know there is a small chance that these guys will develop into a QB1...but a viable cheap QB2 is still a valuable commodity. And sometimes these QBs even have trade value a couple of seasons into careers. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Boy. Eason didn’t come out of this one looking good. I’ve said I think they want to make him the stalwart backup, but it looks like he’s still got a lot of work to do to get even to that point, so there’s one less possibility for 2021...

I don’t agree. Ballard is right. Because of covid they haven’t seen enough of him. It does sound like so far they like what they see they just don’t have enough info. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Doesn't seem the Colts were ever that high on Eason. Makes me wonder why they bothered drafting him.

A good risk/reward with the pick probably, but like they said you can tell if someone is a special player within their first 3 practices. Also Eason is a Cheap Backup

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bolts2Colts said:

Interesting. I interpreted that part about Rivers not getting to know the fans in the opposite way. As in, it’s another reason he should come back so he can experience a real season in Indy and the love of the fans. The Twitter mob hates Rivers and I wonder if that is part of his hesitation to come back?

Rivers doesn't strike me as a Twitter guy. 

I think the only hesitation he has is that he understands the business. He is almost 40, he knows what Reich and Ballard have to do, he gets it.

Also, re also needs to consider if he wants to play. He said he needed to pray and give it a little time. I take him at his word, all that makes plenty of sense.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bolts2Colts said:

And the NFC QBs are the opposite—Brady, Brees and Rodgers are the best of what’s left. 

 

That's true. Pretty crazy that it worked out that way...perfectly sets up the old vs. young QB narrative that will no doubt be a theme of this year's SB. I am pretty sure it's going to be Rodgers vs. Allen/Mahomes

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Rivers doesn't strike me as a Twitter guy. 

I think the only hesitation he has is that he understands the business. He is almost 40, he knows what Reich and Ballard have to do, he gets it.

Also, re also needs to consider if he wants to play. He said he needed to pray and give it a little time. I take him at his word, all that makes plenty of sense.

Neither he nor Ballard are Twitter guys but they hear what is being written and said. 
 

Ballard said he couldn’t believe how the Twitter mob was crucifying Taylor. I’m sure he has a sense of what’s being written about Rivers, and wishes Rivers could experience the opposite with real fans in person. No one would ever say those critical things to his face. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bolts2Colts said:

Neither he nor Ballard are Twitter guys but they hear what is being written and said. 

 

Yeah, Ballard's five kids tell him what's going on on Twitter, I bet Rivers' nine kids do the same.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

 but like they said you can tell if someone is a special player within their first 3 practices. 

Who said that?

10 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

I think 18 large is the number. 

?

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

 

I kind of heard the opposite, when he said they are gonna put the 5 best Offensive lineman on the field, makes me think that they are definitely adding a early pick at either G or OT, and if that means moving Nelson to LT and putting a new player at guard then that's what they will do. He also said something about trying different combinations this training camp so I think that is when they will explore moving him to LT.

 

Not so much basing my thinking on what Ballard said today, but more on the totality of information we have.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

I mean, it's not getting married for love, and wanting to be together forever. It's hiring a guy for a specific -- and relatively short -- period of time. So does he want to be here, and how badly, and what kind of money will it take for both sides? 

 

Put it this way, if Rivers was under contract for $15m in 2021, the Colts wouldn't have a whole lot to think about, IMO. He'd be back, if he still wanted to play.

 

Again, just my read.

So you think if Rivers says he’ll play for $15m they wouldn’t bother looking at other options?  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

 

Ballard screwed over JB? Or JB screwed over Ballard?

 

I don't agree with either...but the latter is more close to reality I guess. Ballard gave him a chance...and he didn't take advantage.

 

But on Ballard's side...he ripped up JB's rookie deal...gave him a $30M two-year extension...before the season started. They gave him a massive raise and a whole season to audition for the starting QB spot. And then when it was clear they needed to go in another direction...they still paid his roster bonus and carried his bloated cap hit all season as the backup QB (even found ways to get him on the field). They love JB and have (somewhat) coddled him for years. 

A ridicululous series of events that is the most concerning thing for me for me by this regime.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bolts2Colts said:

So you think if Rivers says he’ll play for $15m they wouldn’t bother looking at other options?  

 

I think they already have a read on the other options. If they want Stafford, it will take some picks + a new contract. If they want Wentz, it will be kind of messy and uncertain, and they probably know today whether Philly is interested in moving him. If they want to trade up for a guy at the top of the draft, I believe they'd still want Rivers for a year. 

 

So yeah, all things told, I think if Rivers said 'let's go one more, $15m,' they'd weigh that out as more cost-effective for right now, and it still gives them a path to add and develop another guy, or take another year to evaluate Eason.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Superman said:

 

That's an interesting perspective, and one that's as legitimate as anything anyone else has said.

 

To the bolded, fill me in. Who screwed who over, and what comments about JB was Ballard apologizing for at the end?? I feel like I missed a connection somewhere.

If you listen closely to Ballard he said when we dont bring him back about Rivers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

 

That's true. Pretty crazy that it worked out that way...perfectly sets up the old vs. young QB narrative that will no doubt be a theme of this year's SB. I am pretty sure it's going to be Rodgers vs. Allen/Mahomes

Baktiari is a major loss and now Voldheer is covid.  I'm afraid its gonna be that one freaking guy's team.

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

 

They were a Super Bowl contender this year without Robinson.  And that was with a guy they were depending on in Campbell missing essentially the entire season.

 

The point is they don't need to invest the resources required to get Robinson.  Those funds will be better spent elsewhere.

Campbell  catches the pass and hecis injured  again. I'd definitely  draft another wr 

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

 

They were a Super Bowl contender this year without Robinson.  And that was with a guy they were depending on in Campbell missing essentially the entire season.

 

The point is they don't need to invest the resources required to get Robinson.  Those funds will be better spent elsewhere.

 

They weren't Super Bowl contenders this year.

 

If you're relying on Paris Campbell to give you the same production as Allen Robinson, you've led yourself astray somewhere.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I didnt get the sense that everyone else did about his take about Eason. It sounded like he likes his attitude and work ethic, but is unknown about his ability to play which is understandable because he hasnt played yet. I did like that little tidbit about Eason throwing before a game and one of the opponent's went to Chris Ballard who was that like he was blown away.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

I think they already have a read on the other options. If they want Stafford, it will take some picks + a new contract. If they want Wentz, it will be kind of messy and uncertain, and they probably know today whether Philly is interested in moving him. If they want to trade up for a guy at the top of the draft, I believe they'd still want Rivers for a year. 

 

So yeah, all things told, I think if Rivers said 'let's go one more, $15m,' they'd weigh that out as more cost-effective for right now, and it still gives them a path to add and develop another guy, or take another year to evaluate Eason.

Why would Stafford get a new contract. He has like 2 years left.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CR91 said:

I didnt get the sense that everyone else did about his take about Eason. It sounded like he likes his attitude and work ethic, but is unknown about his ability to play which is understandable because he hasnt played yet. I did like that little tidbit about Eason throwing before a game and one of the opponent's went to Chris Ballard who was that like he was blown away.

This kind of reminded about a story of Daren Waller. That’s how the raiders got him. They seen him warming up when he was with another team. I can’t remember if he was on a PS or not though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Why would Stafford get a new contract. He has like 2 years left.

 

I thought he had one year left, but you're right. Two years, then a void in 2023. So remove the contract part from the equation. Still would have to trade for him.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chloe6124 said:

Why would Stafford get a new contract. He has like 2 years left.

 

Because that's often how these deals get done. Plus, with only two years left on his deal...they would be re-upping after the first season anyways...so they would take care of it now and get a favorable structure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, shasta519 said:

 

Because that's often how these deals get done. Plus, with only two years left on his deal...they would be re-upping after the first season anyways...so they would take care of it now and get a favorable structure.

Well if we have to add years that  would be a pass for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...