Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Ballard end of season presser tomorrow 1 pm

Restinpeacesweetchloe

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We should feel very grateful we have a coach, owner, and GM that work so well together. We have owner that will give his wisdom but pretty much doesn’t meddle in things. This is a great organization. I don’t even want to think how bad McDaniel’s would of turned out. I can’t picture him and Ballard getting along so well.

I lol’d at the part of his comments about Twitter and people’s careers being evaluated one play at a time.

Ballard probably ignores the Forum but nevertheless singled out Twitter instead of this bipolar and easily interchangeable peanut gallery of ours in his comment. haha

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

To me there really isn’t GM speak. To me he is  straight forward. It’s not hard to decipher what he says at all. He tells you exactly what he is thinking. 

We want rivers back but will look at all options.

We want Mack back but don’t know if we will be able to if someone offers him a big contract.

He loves walker but knows he wants more playing time. 

Really? It is all GN/coach speak.

There is a lot of time between now and the start of training camp next season.  Ballard himself don't know what is going to transpire. Trying to decipher what is said today into what we think he said is next to impossible. 

8 hours ago, Bolts2Colts said:

You keep saying this over and over but it’s actually very confusing. Like if a guy proposed to me and I said “I want to, but the prudent thing is to check out all other options.”

There has been no proposal made, though, so it is really not that confusing. 

Ballard is exploring all options and Rivers is one of those options. 

3 hours ago, Sumo63 said:

He had a real talent for telling the truth without showing his hand. 

If the pattern holds, after FA and the draft we're going to look back and realize that Ballard signaled exactly what they intended to do in the offseason. 

5 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Ballard thought they were contenders. They were certainly not overmatched against the 2 seed.  Things would have had to fall their way but they were capable. 

No where at all did I say anything about Campbell potentially being more productive than Robinson.  Or better.  Or anything along those lines.  Nice false equivalency though. 

Isn't that an example of a straw man, not a false equivalence? 

10 hours ago, Superman said:

He doesn't think a really good QB will drop to #21-22... that was an interesting and candid response.

This is interesting. With this roster & the playoffs having been expanded, the Colts should be picking 18th or higher every year. How would we ever get a QB if he thinks good ones don't fall?? 

This makes me think he is going to try to trade for a vet, and if it doesn't work out, sign Phillip Rivers. But, he sure does seem like he wants Rivers back. 

6 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

This is interesting. With this roster & the playoffs having been expanded, the Colts should be picking 18th or higher every year. How would we ever get a QB if he thinks good ones don't fall?? 

This makes me think he is going to try to trade for a vet, and if it doesn't work out, sign Phillip Rivers. But, he sure does seem like he wants Rivers back. 

He didn’t rule out getting a vet, signing Rivers, or making a move in the draft or otherwise to get a younger QB IF they feel he’s the guy.  He just ruled out forcing the QB pick just to force it.  I think Ballard is wide open to a lot directions at QB right now as he should be and anyone reading too much into what he’s going to do (which you aren’t) is just looking for signs to support what they want him to do.  

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

He didn’t rule out getting a vet, signing Rivers, or making a move in the draft or otherwise to get a younger QB IF they feel he’s the guy.  He just ruled out forcing the QB pick just to force it.  I think Ballard is wide open to a lot directions at QB right now as he should be and anyone reading too much into what he’s going to do (which you aren’t) is just looking for signs to support what they want him to do.  

Exactly. Ballard is smart enough to say just enough to make fans and media happy without saying anything really. 

We can't really expect anything else at this time of the season. 

8 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Ballard thought they were contenders. They were certainly not overmatched against the 2 seed.  Things would have had to fall their way but they were capable. 

No where at all did I say anything about Campbell potentially being more productive than Robinson.  Or better.  Or anything along those lines.  Nice false equivalency though. 

A. It's just 'false equivalence'. 

B. That wasn't one.

C. You implied that signing Robinson would be unnecessary because Campbell is coming back. How is the logical conclusion of that line of thinking not that Campbell's production could at least come close to matching Robinson's?

16 hours ago, Superman said:

I don't know the answer to any of those questions. I just think the staff believes they have the guy you're asking for, and they're going to proceed with him penciled in for that role.

I could see them adding another receiver, but not for big money. JMO

Have you seen ANYTHING from Pittman to suggest he can be an X receiver in the league? You know I was his biggest fan predraft and I thought of him as our future X... But!!! I honestly haven't seen anything of him to suggest he can do it. The things I thought he would be able to do he has been horrible at, and the things I thought he would struggle with, he's been good at. He doesn't beat his man pretty much ever when lined up outside, he has had trouble catching contested balls, his hands have been a bit worrying too. On the other side, he's actually been pretty good on the crossing routes and making plays after the catch. He's essentially taken the Parris Campbell role and been good at it... But he hasn't shown anything to me that suggests he will be an X receiver going forward.

Or am I missing something?

24 minutes ago, stitches said:

Have you seen ANYTHING from Pittman to suggest he can be an X receiver in the league? You know I was his biggest fan predraft and I thought of him as our future X... But!!! I honestly haven't seen anything of him to suggest he can do it. The things I thought he would be able to do he has been horrible at, and the things I thought he would struggle with, he's been good at. He doesn't beat his man pretty much ever when lined up outside, he has had trouble catching contested balls, his hands have been a bit worrying too. On the other side, he's actually been pretty good on the crossing routes and making plays after the catch. He's essentially taken the Parris Campbell role and been good at it... But he hasn't shown anything to me that suggests he will be an X receiver going forward.

Would you call Reggie Wayne an X receiver?

Reggie looked putrid for 2, almost 3 seasons before he finally exploded. I say give Pitman time, because it’s too early to judge one way or the other. He could just be another guy, or he could explode into a force. Plus with the way Rivers plays, spreading it out and such, we may not truly know what we have in any of our WRs until Rivers is gone. Not saying rivers is bad or anything, he just spreads it around, ALOT

55 minutes ago, stitches said:

Nope. I agree. Jury is still out on Pittman. He might not even turn out to be a solid Z. It might have a little to do with the injury he sustained, but overall call me not impressed. Most times with receivers it's one of two things on why they are not popping consistently. 1) they are not game planned enough. This speaks volumes to trust from an OC and even the QB if the QB is a veteran as veterans have pull in trying to get their guy the ball. 2) The receiver just isn't good enough to consistently separate or find the holes in the coverage. *For what it's worth I believe the second explanation is what is wrong with Pittman. 

Most will say he's just a rookie with no offseason blah, blah, blah

That's nonsense. Lamb, Claypool, Jefferson, Ajyuk, and Shenault before injury are studs. Jeudy had his moments but Drew Lock is not really that good. Ruggs major disappointment and Pittman very below average. I'm sure I might be missing some good rookies from this year and a couple more bad but I'm not sold on Pittman. That's why I'm pounding gavel for #1 wideout priority. 

1 hour ago, stitches said:

I think when Campbell comes back, they make Pittman the Z that can go in motion and make Campbell the X. Campbell with his speed, would be harder to jam because if they miss, Campbell might go farther than Pittman. I know Campbell hasn't played that much Z in college but the hope is they bring him along to do that.

If we sign Allen Robinson, which would come at the expense of TY most likely, Campbell can still be the X and Pittman be the Z in motion in 3 WR formations. The crossing route characteristics Pittman showed and YAC he showed are mostly Z WR characteristics, IMO.

17 hours ago, Bolts2Colts said:

Interesting. I interpreted that part about Rivers not getting to know the fans in the opposite way. As in, it’s another reason he should come back so he can experience a real season in Indy and the love of the fans. The Twitter mob hates Rivers and I wonder if that is part of his hesitation to come back?

You could be right about that, but would Rivers get to know the people next season?

I honestly dont believe that stadiums will be full of people, and that much will change with the covid-19 the next year.

I hope it will, but, things are going way to slow to even think about full capacity at any NFL or sports arena in 2021 :(

I just watched the presser again with Ballard. And again, he praised Rivers a lot, but he really also stressed that the Colts would be exploring all options going forward. I also noticed that when Ballard was asked about other young QB´s in the league and their mobility, he recognized that the NFL was changing which the colts needed to focus upon, but that a QB needed to do good in the pocket as well. 

I know a lot of things will change this offseason, and with all the new coaching hires, a lot of rumored QB´s going to the colts, won't be available. So the scenarios about a Wentz, Darnold or Stafford going to the colts, that's not going tio happen.

I think that even though Rivers want to come back, Im more into the colts going for Kaepernick, Cam or Fitzpatrick, due to their age, rather than a 40 year old superbowl virgin in Rivers.

17 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

I fear that if we bring Rivers back and he regresses any then the season will be lost and a waste because we could have had a younger guy who’s gonna be here for a few years.  A bad season could still be seen as a season of growth. So I definitely think we look at veterans like Stafford or possibly Carr.  Darnold could be in the mix (not a fan).  Or we go up in the draft and get our guy of the future.  We need to find a way to move up in the draft.  What would it take for us to get up from 21 to top 5?

But here's the thing to me.  If we do have a poor season, we will be in a better draft position next year.

I feel we are closer than some think.  We went toe to toe with everyone.  KC is the elephant in the room, but every team has that challenge, trying to compete with KC.

There was not one team we played that we weren't competitive with.  We should be playing KC this week.   I hope they run it again.

As far as a QB goes I would love to trade for Watson, yes I would give up 3 first round picks in 2021, 2022, 2023 to get Watson but this will never happen. So my next 2 options which are reasonable are this:

Trade this years first round pick (2021) and next years second round pick (2022) for Matt Stafford. Stafford would ball out here with the line we have. I think the Lions would do that deal. The other option is re-sign Rivers for 20 Mill a year, which is a slight pay cut (not 25 Mill) but 20 Mill is 20 Mill which is still fantastic for a 39 year old QB.

If we traded away this years first round pick for any reason that would still leave us picks 2-7. In round 2, I am taking a LT - that is a no brainer, I want to keep Q at OG. I would go Pass Rusher in round 3 and re-sign Justin Houston to a 1 year deal to be safe.

2 hours ago, stitches said:

Yeah...below is a quadrant chart that mapped YAC over expectation (y axis) and ADOT (x axis). 

Pittman is in the middle (ADOT) but way way off to the right alone. To me...that implies somewhat of an outlier. Especially when you see that MVS is the only one close horizontally (but has the highest ADOT). 

Pittman had two monstrous crossing routes that he was mostly untouched. Great runs after the catch...but great scheming as well. And to your point, those plays are probably designed for Campbell (and possibly Harris as he develops). Most NFL WRs are getting huge gains on those...even MAC had a huge one early in the season...where he rumbled untouched for 30+ yards.

Those two plays accounted for more than 1/5 of his regular season production. Yes he got hurt...but he still got an 64% snap share on the season. The rest of the time...he was mostly a possession WR. Perhaps that was more on Rivers or Reich...but he wasn’t getting downfield.

When we dig deeper...we also see a decent catch rate with a handful of drops, low separation/target, low contested catch rate, low yards/route. Basically...a low-end WR2/high end WR3.

He was just a rookie...so we can expect his numbers to increase. And we saw some flashes in the BUF game...but it was on a screen and corner routes. 

I still think he’s going to be a good WR2. A taller, more athletic Pascal type. But the expectations are much higher for many.

It’s just when you contrast Pittman to what we saw in some of the other guys picked just before or after him...there is a noticeable difference thus far. Even Mims looked like more of an X WR at times (and that was in NYJ’s offense).

Colts really need to bring in a talented WR this year.

E004A255-97CF-489F-B7F9-A42F33FCB629.webp

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

Would you call Reggie Wayne an X receiver?

Reggie looked putrid for 2, almost 3 seasons before he finally exploded. I say give Pitman time, because it’s too early to judge one way or the other. He could just be another guy, or he could explode into a force. Plus with the way Rivers plays, spreading it out and such, we may not truly know what we have in any of our WRs until Rivers is gone. Not saying rivers is bad or anything, he just spreads it around, ALOT

Rivers HAD a history of throwing a lot of high point passes to big receivers. Where was that this season?
I agree that Pittman needs time, and i think a guy like Stafford could take/make more time for deeper routes and 50/50 balls and bring out his best.

3 hours ago, stitches said:

I don't know, I think we're being a little hard on him, given the circumstances. I have no concern about his hands; he hardly dropped balls in college, I guess he had some tough practices in camp but outside of the Titans game, drops were never an issue this season.

But my point was that I think the Colts will proceed as if he's their guy, at least for 2021. 

I also don't know if having a traditional X is as important to the Colts as it is to fans. They hardly ask their receivers to run any mean beater routes, they try to scheme all their guys open. Fades on the goal line are going away. And I definitely think Pittman can handle the tough slant into the end zone, but I'm not sure Rivers has enough zip on his arm to make that throw.

13 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Yeah...below is a quadrant chart that mapped YAC over expectation (y axis) and ADOT (x axis). 

Pittman is in the middle (ADOT) but way way off to the right alone. To me...that implies somewhat of an outlier. Especially when you see that MVS is the only one close horizontally (but has the highest ADOT). 

Pittman had two monstrous crossing routes that he was mostly untouched. Great runs after the catch...but great scheming as well. And to your point, those plays are probably designed for Campbell (and possibly Harris as he develops). Most NFL WRs are getting huge gains on those...even MAC had a huge one early in the season...where he rumbled untouched for 30+ yards.

Those two plays accounted for more than 1/5 of his regular season production. Yes he got hurt...but he still got an 64% snap share on the season. The rest of the time...he was mostly a possession WR. Perhaps that was more on Rivers or Reich...but he wasn’t getting downfield.

When we dig deeper...we also see a decent catch rate with a handful of drops, low separation/target, low contested catch rate, low yards/route. Basically...a low-end WR2/high end WR3.

He was just a rookie...so we can expect his numbers to increase. And we saw some flashes in the BUF game...but it was on a screen and corner routes. 

I still think he’s going to be a good WR2. A taller, more athletic Pascal type. But the expectations are much higher for many.

It’s just when you contrast Pittman to what we saw in some of the other guys picked just before or after him...there is a noticeable difference thus far. Even Mims looked like more of an X WR at times (and that was in NYJ’s offense).

E004A255-97CF-489F-B7F9-A42F33FCB629.webp 22.97 kB · 1 download

Great post.  I like Pitt. We need more than Pitt.  We need Robinson or a player as good as him.  

2 hours ago, Indeee said:

Nope. I agree. Jury is still out on Pittman. He might not even turn out to be a solid Z. It might have a little to do with the injury he sustained, but overall call me not impressed. Most times with receivers it's one of two things on why they are not popping consistently. 1) they are not game planned enough. This speaks volumes to trust from an OC and even the QB if the QB is a veteran as veterans have pull in trying to get their guy the ball. 2) The receiver just isn't good enough to consistently separate or find the holes in the coverage. *For what it's worth I believe the second explanation is what is wrong with Pittman. 

Most will say he's just a rookie with no offseason blah, blah, blah

That's nonsense. Lamb, Claypool, Jefferson, Ajyuk, and Shenault before injury are studs. Jeudy had his moments but Drew Lock is not really that good. Ruggs major disappointment and Pittman very below average. I'm sure I might be missing some good rookies from this year and a couple more bad but I'm not sold on Pittman. That's why I'm pounding gavel for #1 wideout priority. 

This WR group was stacked. Jefferson was not likely...but Aiyuk and Higgins were only a handful of picks in front. Sometimes trading up is a good thing. It just stings to feel like we might have missed out on WRs again. Hopefully Pittman takes a huge leap next season...and it's all moot.

7 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Rivers HAD a history of throwing a lot of high point passes to big receivers. Where was that this season?
I agree that Pittman needs time, and i think a guy like Stafford could take/make more time for deeper routes and 50/50 balls and bring out his best.

WE don't have a Keenan Allen  type of receiver.

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't know, I think we're being a little hard on him, given the circumstances. I have no concern about his hands; he hardly dropped balls in college, I guess he had some tough practices in camp but outside of the Titans game, drops were never an issue this season.

But my point was that I think the Colts will proceed as if he's their guy, at least for 2021. 

I also don't know if having a traditional X is as important to the Colts as it is to fans. They hardly ask their receivers to run any mean beater routes, they try to scheme all their guys open. Fades on the goal line are going away. And I definitely think Pittman can handle the tough slant into the end zone, but I'm not sure Rivers has enough zip on his arm to make that throw.

I think Pitt can be a very good #2, who knows maybe a good #1. As the year went on I liked what I seen out of him better. Some in here don't have patience, most rookies struggle at times. Reggie Wayne did, JT did until the 2nd half of the season. If Pitt doesn't show improvement next year than we will have an idea what kind of player he is. I give rookies a break.

32 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

As far as a QB goes I would love to trade for Watson, yes I would give up 3 first round picks in 2021, 2022, 2023 to get Watson but this will never happen. So my next 2 options which are reasonable are this:

Trade this years first round pick (2021) and next years second round pick (2022) for Matt Stafford. Stafford would ball out here with the line we have. I think the Lions would do that deal. The other option is re-sign Rivers for 20 Mill a year, which is a slight pay cut (not 25 Mill) but 20 Mill is 20 Mill which is still fantastic for a 39 year old QB.

If we traded away this years first round pick for any reason that would still leave us picks 2-7. In round 2, I am taking a LT - that is a no brainer, I want to keep Q at OG. I would go Pass Rusher in round 3 and re-sign Justin Houston to a 1 year deal to be safe.

This is just about where I am as well.  Forgetting about Watson Stafford would be far and away my 1st choice and with a chance of it happening.  Though I am a little worried the Patriots would also be in play for Stafford .  The picks you suggested should get it done and would be fair IMO.  2nd would be to resign Rivers to a cheaper deal like you suggest.  20M is a good number for him now.  I would try to get an ER in FA along with resigning TY, Rhodes and a veteran G to replace Q as I think there is a strong possibility that they move him to T.  

1 hour ago, CoachLite said:

Hindsight is almost always 20/20.

I don't think it's just post hoc confirmation bias, though. 

In 2018, Ballard says 'we have some cap space, but the draft is the foundation and I want more picks, and I don't know if we're ready to bring in major FAs before we've established our culture.' People spent the next two months looking at the FAs they wanted him to sign, but he traded back, made moves to diversify his draft stock, then signed Denico Autry and Eric Ebron, two second tier guys. Fans and media freaked out, because he didn't 'go all in' like they thought he would.

He basically did the same thing in 2019 -- Justin Houston and Devin Funchess, both second tier guys, no major commitments from the team. 

Then in 2020, in a noticeable shift from previous years, Ballard says 'we might be ready for some bigger moves,' and signs a FA QB, trades a first for Buckner and gives him a huge contract, etc. He also said 'we're still evaluating the QB position with JB, but he's valuable to us.' Again, signed Rivers, then despite everyone thinking they were going to get rid of JB one way or another, they kept him all season and incorporated him into the offense. He also signaled that they would trade out of the first, which they did.

I'm not saying Ballard is dropping codes that we need to decipher, just saying that he pretty much shoots straight, and when you connect his statements with his actions, they tend to line up pretty well. 

24 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

E004A255-97CF-489F-B7F9-A42F33FCB629.webp 22.97 kB · 0 downloads

10 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Great post.  I like Pitt. We need more than Pitt.  We need Robinson or a player as good as him.  

Agreed, that was a great post.  Just to be clear about my point, I'm not saying Robinson wouldn't be a good addition. I'm just saying the Colts aren't going to sign him.

Just now, Superman said:

Agreed, that was a great post.  Just to be clear about my point, I'm not saying Robinson wouldn't be a good addition. I'm just saying the Colts aren't going to sign him.

I know exactly what you are saying Supe.  I tend to agree with you because Ballard's draft emphasis.  The thing that makes me hopeful is the money and capital spent on Buckner when it was obvious we needed a 3Tech like him.  I hope Ballard thinks the same of WR.   

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

This is just about where I am as well.  Forgetting about Watson Stafford would be far and away my 1st choice and with a chance of it happening.  Though I am a little worried the Patriots would also be in play for Stafford .  The picks you suggested should get it done and would be fair IMO.  2nd would be to resign Rivers to a cheaper deal like you suggest.  20M is a good number for him now.  I would try to get an ER in FA along with resigning TY, Rhodes and a veteran G to replace Q as I think there is a strong possibility that they move him to T.  

I would honestly give Rivers 25 Mill again if it doesn't hurt our cap too badly. It would be just 1 year. I just said 20 because Rivers may go for that. 

Archived