Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Ballard end of season presser tomorrow 1 pm

Restinpeacesweetchloe

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

I think Ballard thinks this roster is better than it is too. We are in a horrific shape at the most important positions for winning - QB, LT, DE, CB, WR...

We have zero surefire long-term starters at the first 4 of those. And we might or might not have one at WR... still TBD. 

I don't know where Ballard stands. I know he likes the young guys, but I don't know if he's as bullish on them as other people.

Some of these media questions are like 'you guys are right there, just need a QB,' and that's a sentiment I keep seeing and hearing. I don't know if he's co-signing that... He definitely hit the right notes at QB and LT.

And I don't think I agree with your earlier comment about drafting a QB in the first. He said the Colts grabbed great QBs at #1 overall, and if we ever have #1 he won't be the GM anymore (which is a reasonable thought), so we're not just gonna grab the highest rated guy. And he said a lot of first round guys don't work out, so it's not just taking a guy, it's taking the right guy. But as he's said, he's not gonna force it. 

He's answering a question about edge right now... he doesn't sound overly enthusiastic.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, stitches said:

I think Ballard thinks this roster is better than it is too. We are in a horrific shape at the most important positions for winning - QB, LT, DE, CB, WR...

We have zero surefire long-term starters at the first 4 of those. And we might or might not have one at WR... still TBD. 

This is very true. The problem is that those positions typically take serious draft capital to address. It took a 1st round pick AND a $20M+ contract to address DT when it was a huge need.

QB has been priority #1 though. 

23 minutes ago, stitches said:

He's not drafting a QB high. The most animated he got in this whole interview so far was to tell the journalists that drafting a QB will get them off his *, but the question is whether it will solve the problem. This by itself doesn't mean much, but just... something about the way he went about answering this question... it makes me think he's not crazy about the prospect of drafting a QB. 

I haven’t listened yet but why would he make it known about what we’re looking for in the draft especially if it’s a QB?  Wouldn’t that take away any leverage we’d have?  If teams know we’re going QB hunting, then they can drive the price up on us or any potential competition will be looking to move up in front of us. 

1 minute ago, Smoke317 said:

I haven’t listened yet but why would he make it known about what we’re looking for in the draft especially if it’s a QB?  Wouldn’t that take away any leverage we’d have?  If teams know we’re going QB hunting, then they can drive the price up on us or any potential competition will be looking to move up in front of us. 

He didn't outright say it. You can take it in multiple ways... his answer. Just his demeanor while answering it struck me as being annoyed that one more year they will keep asking him about getting franchise QB from the draft and he won't give them one. When you see the interview you can make your own mind about whether this interpretation is more likely or another one. 

8 minutes ago, stitches said:

He didn't outright say it. You can take it in multiple ways... his answer. Just his demeanor while answering it struck me as being annoyed that one more year they will keep asking him about getting franchise QB from the draft and he won't give them one. When you see the interview you can make your own mind about whether this interpretation is more likely or another one. 

Wasn’t trying to be argumentative. Just trying to get your opinion and feel based off of his tone. Thanks for the updates brother.  And he probably is annoyed (with the questions) because unless we’re picking top 3, why would he divulge our draft strategy especially if we’re after a QB?  The Chiefs kept their mouth shut so they could move up in front of someone for Mahomes. Have to keep your cards close to your vest. 

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

He doesn't think a really good QB will drop to #21-22... that was an interesting and candid response.

So without showing his hand that is really good info.  Doesn't mean he isn't interested in drafting a QB but he knows the team is in that situation where trying to force drafting a QB could cause more issues than it helps:

• Try to move way up in the draft to get the guy you want - which can be very damaging due to the cost of moving up
  • Draft a guy that is available - if all the quality guys are gone what's the point
  • And if you keep winning 9 to 11 games a year you will never have a really high draft pick

3 minutes ago, gspdx said:

So without showing his hand that is really good info.  Doesn't mean he isn't interested in drafting a QB but he knows the team is in that situation where trying to force drafting a QB could cause more issues than it helps:

• Try to move way up in the draft to get the guy you want - which can be very damaging due to the cost of moving up
  • Draft a guy that is available - if all the quality guys are gone what's the point
  • And if you keep winning 9 to 11 games a year you will never have a really high draft pick

My impression, based solely on speculation, is that they want Rivers back at a reasonable salary for one more year. Then they want to add two or three guys and try again with this team. 

11 minutes ago, stitches said:

I get that it would be annoying...but the local media is charmin soft when it comes to questions. And having to address the franchise QB is not unique to Ballard. There are probably a dozen GMs being asked those same questions in their pressers...some who are brand new to the job. 

But it's what has to happen for this team to take the next step...so I hope the media keeps it up.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

My impression, based solely on speculation, is that they want Rivers back at a reasonable salary for one more year. Then they want to add two or three guys and try again with this team. 

I think based on what he is saying that if an opportunity at Stafford or similiar was available they would need to weigh all the options and perhaps move on.

47 minutes ago, stitches said:

He's not drafting a QB high. The most animated he got in this whole interview so far was to tell the journalists that drafting a QB will get them off his *, but the question is whether it will solve the problem. This by itself doesn't mean much, but just... something about the way he went about answering this question... it makes me think he's not crazy about the prospect of drafting a QB. 

Basically said there wouldn't be a QB in the first round worth drafting at our spot.

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

I  hope that is the case.  

1 minute ago, compuls1v3 said:

Basically said there wouldn't be a QB in the first round worth drafting at our spot.

Sounds like Ballard and Staff weren’t impressed with Mac Jones mostly being a 1 read QB and throwing over 70% of his passes within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage.  Not a first round talent. 

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't see how this isn't the plan for next year. This team won 11 games. Run it back.

I'd be ecstatic if they brought (mostly) everyone back, threw a contract at Allen Robinson II, and drafted a tackle and an edge rusher.

There'll be options at QB again next year. I don't see any option this year that would be an improvement on Rivers.

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

This answer made me think ... he's not likely to take a QB in the draft but if he does, he will trade up for one rather than stay at 21 for one. 

Yeah...he's basically saying he's not really interested in a guy like Trask...who is probably the only QB that would make it that far.

I hope the moment that JAC secured #1 overall...that Ballard has been working on a massive deal with the NYJ. Somehow convince them to keep Darnold and move back to #21 lol. Not even sure what the precedent for that would be.

That was fun. Ballard just shoots straight. Wasn’t even vague about rivers. They want him back but also said they have to look at all options. That man is just a straight shooter. They really like Eason but he is right. Because of covid they just haven’t seen enough of him. That was a great quote about another team asking who that was.

I they are going to try and bring TY and Houston back.

My take on what was said about Rivers:

1.  They are going to evaluate all other veteran options at QB

2.  Both sides are supposed to make a decision in the next month

3.  CB doesn't think they can get a good QB at #21.  So if they decide to draft a first round QB, they would trade up.  

4.  Said he didn't want the headline to be that Colts are moving on from Rivers, which actually makes me suspect that they are.  

5.  Mentioned Rivers' age at least 3-4 times and how Father Time is undefeated.  

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

That was fun. Ballard just shoots straight. Wasn’t even vague about rivers. They want him back but also said they have to look at all options. That man is just a straight shooter. They really like Eason but he is right. Because of covid they just haven’t seen enough of him. That was a great quote about another team asking who that was.

i hope CB brings back Mack but it may not happen

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think he's as sincere as he seems. I really like how he interacts with the media, and I believe that he interacts with everyone else the same way.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm good with that.

5 minutes ago, Mackrel829 said:

I don't see how this isn't the plan for next year. This team won 11 games. Run it back.

I'd be ecstatic if they brought (mostly) everyone back, threw a contract at Allen Robinson II, and drafted a tackle and an edge rusher.

There'll be options at QB again next year. I don't see any option this year that would be an improvement on Rivers.

I'd really like to have Robinson.

I just don’t see how you bring TY back with Rivers still the QB.  Need a bigger arm who can gun it in there because TY isn’t getting wide open like he used to & watching him wait on Rivers’ passes to get to him is excruciating.  Go get a bigger target for Rivers.

24 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Wasn’t trying to be argumentative. Just trying to get your opinion and feel based off of his tone. Thanks for the updates brother.  And he probably is annoyed (with the questions) because unless we’re picking top 3, why would he divulge our draft strategy especially if we’re after a QB?  The Chiefs kept their mouth shut so they could move up in front of someone for Mahomes. Have to keep your cards close to your vest. 

Yeah, yeah, I know... I was just trying not to oversell my own interpretation. I would legitimately like people to listen to the answer and tell me if they get the same vibe I got. 

1 minute ago, Smoke317 said:

I just don’t see how you bring TY back with Rivers still the QB.  Need a bigger arm who can gun it in there because TY isn’t getting wide open like he used to & watching him wait on Rivers/ passes to get to him is excruciating.  Go get a bigger target for Rivers.

His name is Michael Pittman Jr.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

His name is Michael Pittman Jr.

Is he ready to be number 1?  I can see Campbell getting more of the crossing routes MPJ excelled at this season.  Or do you think Campbell is ready to step in and replace TY as #1 on the outside?

Archived