Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Ballard end of season presser tomorrow 1 pm

Restinpeacesweetchloe

3 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I just don’t see how you bring TY back with Rivers still the QB.  Need a bigger arm who can gun it in there because TY isn’t getting wide open like he used to & watching him wait on Rivers’ passes to get to him is excruciating.  Go get a bigger target for Rivers.

TYs hands aren't the best.  He's a very limited guy without the top end speed.  He's still a really good route runner and was productive.  But no way should he be brought back with primary target money IMO>

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Shadow_Creek said:

i hope CB brings back Mack but it may not happen

Just now, Nickster said:

That seems oxymoronic though isn't it?

No. He mentioned if rivers was five years younger there would be no question he would be back. But he said because rivers has maybe a year left they have to look at every option out there. He was very clear.

If the top four QB are gone yeah he isn’t taking one at 21. It will be a move up if they love one.  

1 minute ago, Smoke317 said:

Is he ready to be number 1?  I can see Campbell getting more of the crossing routes MPJ excelled t this season.  Or do you think Campbell is ready to step in and replace TY as #1 on the outside?

I don't know the answer to any of those questions. I just think the staff believes they have the guy you're asking for, and they're going to proceed with him penciled in for that role.

I could see them adding another receiver, but not for big money. JMO

To me, it honestly sounded like they will bring Rivers back IF he wants to play.

Ballard made multiple comments about him playing well to end the season, he didn’t get a fair opportunity due to the off-season, He can still play at a high level and the Colts can win a SB with him.

Also said it wasn’t fair the fans didn’t really get to know him and learn more about him.

Also doesn’t ever say much about Eason but said they still need to see what they have in him. But another coach did ask/compliment Eason pre game after seeing him throw. Def has all the tools.

Just my interpretation, but to me they plan on bringing Rivers back if he wants to play another year. Remember they did say multiple year plan when first acquiring him.

Personally not a huge fan, but Rivers wasn’t terrible. Colts just need to execute better. Think a more Mobile QB or one with a great arm like Eason or Stafford could take this offense to a new better level but Rivers didn’t make us worse...

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

His name is Michael Pittman Jr.

I like Pitt.  I still think we need someone more athletic to go with him.  Campbell could be huge for us.  Even THEN, I still want them to go after Robinson.  I think he's just what the doctor ordered.

Loved me some TY but I can't see paying him much or committing many years to him.  HE just ain't getting it done in big moments any more.  

1 minute ago, bravo4460 said:

To me, it honestly sounded like they will bring Rivers back IF he wants to play.

Ballard made multiple comments about him playing well to end the season, he didn’t get a fair opportunity due to the off-season,

ahe can still play at a high level and the Colts can win a SB with him.

Also said it wasn’t fair the fans didn’t really get to know him and learn more about him.

Also doesn’t ever say much about Eason but said they still need to see what they have in him. But another coach did ask/compliment Eason pre game after seeing him throw. Def has all the tools.

Just my interpretation, but to me they plan on bringing Rivers back if he wants to play another year. Remember they did say multiple year plan when first acquiring him.

Personally not a huge fan, but Rivers wasn’t terrible. Colts just need to execute better. Think a more Mobile QB or one with a great arm like Eason or Stafford could take this offense to a new better level but Rivers didn’t make us worse...

Ballard was very clear that rivers only has a year or so left and as a organization they have to look at all options. I don’t think there was any vagueness there at all. 

7 minutes ago, Nickster said:

That seems oxymoronic though isn't it?

My read on it, especially Ballard mentioning 'every option,' is that he was talking about compensation. My own speculation, but it was like 'we want him back, but we can't pay him $25m for one season.' IDK

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

No. He mentioned if rivers was five years younger there would be no question he would be back. But he said because rivers has maybe a year left they have to look at every option out there. He was very clear.

If the top four QB are gone yeah he isn’t taking one at 21. It will be a move up if they love one.  

Ok thats different from what I was seeing.  We want him back and we are looking at all options don't go together, but we want him back with a time machine and we are looking at all of our options do go together.

3 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I like Pitt.  I still think we need someone more athletic to go with him.  Campbell could be huge for us.  Even THEN, I still want them to go after Robinson.  I think he's just what the doctor ordered.

Loved me some TY but I can't see paying him much or committing many years to him.  HE just ain't getting it done in big moments any more.  

Don't know about TY. I saw him run by plenty of DBs, and get underthrown. No question he's not the same explosive guy he was in 2014, but people are acting like he's done and I don't think he is. 

I'm going to make a definitive statement right now, and if I'm wrong, feel free to throw it back in my face: They're not giving big money to a FA receiver this offseason. Allen Robinson is off the board for the Colts. Again, pure speculation on my part, but I feel pretty confident about this one.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

My read on it, especially Ballard mentioning 'every option,' is that he was talking about compensation. My own speculation, but it was like 'we want him back, but we can't pay him $25m for one season.' IDK

We, like nearly all of the other teams, are going to be feeling the effects of a reduced cap. A lot of hard choices to make in the following months, as we really don't have much money to play with this year. 

12 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Robinson will be way too pricey 

He'll be expensive for sure but would be worth every penny. Gives Rivers a truly legit number 1, in addition to Pittman and Hilton, and would be invaluable if the next QB ends up being young and/or inexperienced.

I think this year's team with Allen Robinson is a Superbowl contender.

21 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Yeah...he's basically saying he's not really interested in a guy like Trask...who is probably the only QB that would make it that far.

I hope the moment that JAC secured #1 overall...that Ballard has been working on a massive deal with the NYJ. Somehow convince them to keep Darnold and move back to #21 lol. Not even sure what the precedent for that would be.

I think Trask is going no where near round 1. I would guess bottom of third to a low as end of the 4th.

Nor do I think Jones will be a first round pick. 

7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Ballard was very clear that rivers only has a year or so left and as a organization they have to look at all options. I don’t think there was any vagueness there at all. 

I agree he wasn’t vague.

And yes 100% he said he only has a year or two left. That was obvious when the Colts signed him in the first place. Last season they said when signing him though they didn’t plan on it being for only one season. Ballard is pretty transparent but there is some “GM speak” in what he says. “Looking at our options” to me, is just that after all the other comments I mentioned in my post.

3 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I think Trask is going no where near round 1. I would guess bottom of third to a low as end of the 4th.

Ballard  said that he didn't  think a qb would be there at 21 so wilson will b.c e gone by then and probably  lance to

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

Not my read at all because he specifically said if he was five years younger. Then went on to say because he only has a year left they they need to look at all options. He was very clear. He wasn’t vague at all where we need to interpret what he meant.

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

Don't know about TY. I saw him run by plenty of DBs, and get underthrown. No question he's not the same explosive guy he was in 2014, but people are acting like he's done and I don't think he is. 

I'm going to make a definitive statement right now, and if I'm wrong, feel free to throw it back in my face: They're not giving big money to a FA receiver this offseason. Allen Robinson is off the board for the Colts. Again, pure speculation on my part, but I feel pretty confident about this one.

I agree we are gonna stick to ZP Pitt and campbell. TY will be in the air on pay and role with team.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Not my read at all because he specifically said if he was five years younger. Then went on to say because he only has a year left they they need to look at all options. He was very clear. He wasn’t vague at all where we need to interpret what he meant.

He said a lot about Rivers, and the QB position. Among those things, he said specifically that they want him back, and think they can win with him. I'll take him at his word that he meant that. 

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

The thing with Mack though is I don’t think he will get paid. They might be able to get him back for a year.

It's really tough to project his market. I'd be interested to hear what people here think would be a fair price, whether that's with the Colts or another team.

I have to say that I’m a little confused about what Ballard wants in regards to Rivers. He wants him back, but... but what? If Ballard had higher praise for Eason, I would start to wonder whether he want Rivers back as mentor QB for Eason. Maybe start with Rivers, then ease Eason in kind of thing. But that also feels like silly talk. 

After watching Ballards presser, I noticed a couple of things.

First of, it was No surprise that marlon Mack wont be brought back, as that would be downright stupid, with Jonathan Taylor being a legit RB and one of the better in the league. So to invest a lot of money in Mack, would be stupid. I know, nothing is certain, but it sounded like they already were past him.

Second, I honestly don't think they will bring Rivers back no matter what Rivers decide to do.

Everytime he got the QB question, he praised Rivers, but again and again he explained that they as an organisation had to do their job. And when asked about Brissette, he knew he's not coming back, as he literally had screwed him over. 

So regarding Rivers, and when he spoke of him and that he didn't had the chance to get to know the citizens of indianapolis, and wished him and his family the best, It just sounded like they would move on. I might have got i all wrong, but It just sounded like in that answer midway, that they were leaning toward a new QB, as things needed to shake up in that position.

Third, It sounded like Leonard or Big Q would get an extension this year, or that at least one of them would.

2 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Same here. I think he wants Wilson...but that's not likely going to happen.

I saw a tweet...that the remaining AFC QBs are all under 26 (Mayfield, Mahomes, Allen, Lamar). Wilson will be a 22 year-old rookie QB. Ballard should move mountains to get him.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

He said a lot about Rivers, and the QB position. Among those things, he said specifically that they want him back, and think they can win with him. I'll take him at his word that he meant that. 

I'll take him at his word on that too.  But I don't agree we can win a SB with Rivers.  And with all of my expertise and amazing career as a football talent scout I would know! :woah:

27 minutes ago, Superman said:

What I don't get is why they didn't do more about OL depth. 

Thankfully he didn’t entertain the actual question that was asked, about the option of moving Nelson to LT. 

He said he has four good starters on the online and some other young players. I think LT will be priority #1 after he (probably) re-signs Rivers. 

1 minute ago, gspdx said:

I'll take him at his word on that too.  But I don't agree we can win a SB with Rivers.  And with all of my expertise and amazing career as a football talent scout I would know! :woah:

I think we can, but we need a much better defense and another playmaker on offense. Rivers can't be the main catalyst.

4 minutes ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Second, I honestly don't think they will bring Rivers back no matter what Rivers decide to do.

Everytime he got the QB question, he praised Rivers, but again and again he explained that they as an organisation had to do their job. And when asked about Brissette, he knew he's not coming back, as he literally had screwed him over. 

That's an interesting perspective, and one that's as legitimate as anything anyone else has said.

To the bolded, fill me in. Who screwed who over, and what comments about JB was Ballard apologizing for at the end?? I feel like I missed a connection somewhere.

40 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

That was fun. Ballard just shoots straight. Wasn’t even vague about rivers. They want him back but also said they have to look at all options. That man is just a straight shooter. They really like Eason but he is right. Because of covid they just haven’t seen enough of him. That was a great quote about another team asking who that was.

I they are going to try and bring TY and Houston back.

what exactly did Ballard say about that?

24 minutes ago, Superman said:

I agree. I think that's because of MP's development. Ballard is likely releasing a cleansing breath after seeing him come on late in the season. 

2 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

what exactly did Ballard say about that?

He said that a staff member of another team saw Eason warming up. He was so impressive they asked who that was. 

Even though he had a lot of good words on Eason he was asked if he felt comfortable as Eason the backup. He did say he wasn’t yet because they still need to see him in OTA and preseason games. So I wonder if they will bring another veteran in as a backup in case. Could that mean Jacoby is back if he doesn’t get interest from another team.

12 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think we can, but we need a much better defense and another playmaker on offense. Rivers can't be the main catalyst.

Provided Rivers doesn't drop off or fall off a cliff, I'd agree. Actually, if he stays constant, he might be better next year simply because he'd have that history with the team and the slow start this year shouldn't be a problem.

One thing for certain Eason will not be the starting QB next season.  Anyone expecting that can forget about it.  He said the right thing about wanting Rivers back but the 30 day window will afford the opportunity for a lot of different scenarios to develop.  I get the impression that if he could find a longer term option that he liked he would prefer that option.  I also got the impression he would like to bring TY back but not as a No. 1. and I could see Houston back as well.  I think he would like to bring back Rhodes but as usual he will not get into a bidding war.  He mentioned that the Colt's drafted Manning and Luck because they finished last.  He is not a risk taker and doesn't want to go there obviously so I think it's more likely Rivers comes back or we acquire another veteran QB.  

Archived