Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Ballard end of season presser tomorrow 1 pm

Restinpeacesweetchloe

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate the season ending but this is my favorite part after the season ends. Ballard can easily avoid the rivers question. He can just say rivers played great football and we will see what he decides. Yeah that’s vague but doesn’t force him to answer it. I actually expect more from him. He usually just tells or like it is. I can also see him saying rivers played great football but he knows at his age this is a business. Reich already basically said that.

This will be an interesting one, Rivers is an elephant in the room.  Personally i think they will invite him back.  Im sure they will ask him about Luck again too

lots of free agents to talk about and a glaring hole at left tackle now.

If I’m the Colts, I’d want to be vague on Rivers other than he was awesome. If they want to trade, Rivers provides leverage because other teams think they will stick with Rivers if price too steep. Similarly, in draft, it’s good if other teams don’t know your plans and deepest desires because it can be used against you. Best example is 2004 draft where everyone knew how badly Giants wanted Eli and they got reamed. 

I wonder if Colts will wait until after draft (or trade if applicable) to make a decision on Rivers. 

12 minutes ago, Bolts2Colts said:

If I’m the Colts, I’d want to be vague on Rivers other than he was awesome. If they want to trade, Rivers provides leverage because other teams think they will stick with Rivers if price too steep. Similarly, in draft, it’s good if other teams don’t know your plans and deepest desires because it can be used against you. Best example is 2004 draft where everyone knew how badly Giants wanted Eli and they got reamed. 

I wonder if Colts will wait until after draft (or trade if applicable) to make a decision on Rivers. 

It worked out for the Giants

15 minutes ago, Bolts2Colts said:

My guess is if we don’t hear something on rivers in the next few weeks then something else could be going down. 

11 minutes ago, Bolts2Colts said:

Perhaps, but the Chargers didn’t even want Eli. Giants could have had him for nothing, rather than giving up a king’s ransom. In fact, that trade alone is one reason why Bolts were so loaded from 2004-2009. 

They would have had to traded up to get him.    The raiders or cards could have taken eli or a qb needy team could have moved ahead of the giants. 

I'm sure they are happy with the 2 rings they got

58 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

They could have already decided that yes they want rivers to come back and not look elsewhere.  In that case they wouldn’t need to be vague.

If Rivers comes back, that makes the QB solution pretty simple. Rivers starts, Eason is the backup. If that happens I would draft a LT at 21 and then take a pass rusher in round 2.

3 hours ago, Bolts2Colts said:

Um by the draft, they will know whether or not Rivers is a colt so that doesn’t hold much water. 

44 minutes ago, Orioles22 said:

I still think we go for a cornerback with one of the top two picks.

It's a definite possibility.  Tyson Campbell from UGA could be there at #21.  He was teammates with Surtain (#1 overall CB in the draft) in HS.

I could see 2 things happening:

1) Colts draft either an EDGE or CB in Round 1, and an OT in Round 2.

2) Ballard re-signs Rivers for a 1-year deal, then goes for his franchise QB by trading up to the top 10 for someone like Wilson or Lance. 

Ballard actually drops some pretty big hints in his press conferences.  The last two years, he has talked about how much he believes in building the trenches, and then he proceeded to draft Nelson in Round 1 and then traded for Buckner the next year. 

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If Rivers comes back, that makes the QB solution pretty simple. Rivers starts, Eason is the backup. If that happens I would draft a LT at 21 and then take a pass rusher in round 2.

They could still draft a QB in the first round. 

AC retiring might just seal rivers retirement.  

10 hours ago, csmopar said:

Um by the draft, they will know whether or not Rivers is a colt so that doesn’t hold much water. 

Sorry what is the timing on when either side has to make a decision? Cam wasn’t signed with NE until after the draft. In 2018 Gates returned at last minute.  I could see a scenario where Rivers is open to returning (and they already know it’s Colts or retirement) but they put him on hold until they see if they get their QB in draft. 

5 minutes ago, Bolts2Colts said:

Sorry what is the timing on when either side has to make a decision? Cam wasn’t signed with NE until after the draft. In 2018 Gates returned at last minute.  I could see a scenario where Rivers is open to returning (and they already know it’s Colts or retirement) but they put him on hold until they see if they get their QB in draft. 

I don’t think it will be the draft that determines if rivers comes back. It will be FA time period. After the explore other options like Wentz and Stafford. So my guess is we will know if Rivers comes back sometime in March. Around FA.That is about the time the Buckner trade happened. 

Just now, ColtStrong2013 said:

He’ll say “look” and refer to “o-line/d-line” at least a thousand times... 

he’ll also say he likes them picks and that the roster is in the right direction and point to players being picked up off the waiver when they release them, and point to coaches and executives on staff getting HC and GM interviews. 

He’s pointed to that as a goal of where to get to in order to show the success they are having internally since he came here 4 years ago. He will undoubtedly tout that as it truly is an accomplishment for him. He’s organized and runs a great organization, and it will show with the coaches climbing the ranks and his staff getting promotions elsewhere. 

9 hours ago, zibby43 said:

Ballard actually drops some pretty big hints in his press conferences.  The last two years, he has talked about how much he believes in building the trenches, and then he proceeded to draft Nelson in Round 1 and then traded for Buckner the next year. 

This is so true.  Can’t wait to see what is said today

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

I didn’t think about something. We may not now about rivers until the draft if they think Stafford is a option. Lions are going to want to make sure they get their guy in the draft. Wentz is a different story since they have Hurts.

They will know about rivers before the draft. 

Just now, jvan1973 said:

They will know about rivers before the draft. 

Possibly not if they want to go after Stafford.  They might know his intentions that he wants to come back but if they are at all thinking Stafford is a option that might not be known until the draft. I really do hate having a 4th QB in 4 years so I hope if we go change it’s s longer option. Still have Eason if things go sideways with another vet.

Hard to know what he will say today but we do know that at some point in the offseason, he always says quite clearly what he thinks the focus should be, and he sticks to that.

With the Nelson pick, he spoke very clearly about the need to be stronger on the line. Picked Q.

Last draft, he spoke clearly about how the 3 tech drove the whole 'thing'. Traded #1 and got Buckner.

He's pretty crystal clear about what the primary focus will be. The interesting part is what the secondary filling is. Last year, outside of Buckner, he added guys like Rhodes who were not heralded but played a huge role at the end of the day. 

He's not drafting a QB high. The most animated he got in this whole interview so far was to tell the journalists that drafting a QB will get them off his *, but the question is whether it will solve the problem. This by itself doesn't mean much, but just... something about the way he went about answering this question... it makes me think he's not crazy about the prospect of drafting a QB. 

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think people in general think this roster is better and further along than it really is...

I think Ballard thinks this roster is better than it is too. We are in a horrific shape at the most important positions for winning - QB, LT, DE, CB, WR...

We have zero surefire long-term starters at the first 4 of those. And we might or might not have one at WR... still TBD. 

Archived