Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Ballard end of season presser tomorrow 1 pm

Restinpeacesweetchloe

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I agree. There has been moments where certain QBs have resurrected their careers with other teams after being thought of as busts. Tannehill is the most recent example. That's why you can't rule out Darnold or Trubisky, especially Darnold as Tannehill was with Gase too I believe so there is that. Tannehill has done well enough to get to AFC Champ game just a year ago with a team built with defense and running game. That's all I'm saying

See I think Darnold makes a ton of sense. He’s still young and has the traits that Reich could work with. He has no idea what it’s like to not be pressured all the time. Colts could give him that and he could give them the added element of mobility.

Plus, the draft capital with Darnold would be small and they could lock him into a team-friendly contract.

I disagree that this team doesn’t need a top tier QB though. But I think Darnold could actually be that guy. 

I’m less than enthused by Trubisky though.

1 hour ago, Smoke317 said:

Top 10 defense.  Top 12 offense. Don’t forget we faced the easiest schedule in the league.  And only got in because of expanded playoffs. I don’t know if those metrics will be enough if we face stiffer competition next year.  We still lose to the majority of AFC playoff teams every year. Have to fix that.  That’s the difference between 11-5 barely getting in and going on the road for wild card weekend or being a top 3 seed. This team should have been 12-4 at the worst. 13-3 was easily attainable with 6 All Pros. 

We didn't have the easiest schedule in the league. But it was toward the bottom. Texans are an underrated opponent we played twice. I think the Bill's had it easier than us.

2 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

We didn't have the easiest schedule in the league. But it was toward the bottom. Texans are an underrated opponent we played twice. I think the Bill's had it easier than us.

DVOA had IND at #32...BUF at #21. 

The Colts offense certainly had the easiest schedule of defenses...wasn’t even close. 

After reading all the comments it's exactly as I said before the presser, Ballard talked a lot but didn't really say anything. He is a great public speaker. 

He has a personality that is easy to like. 

Trying to put assumptions and or personal takes on what he said is all just fan speak just like him speaking GM/coach speak. 

I dont see the Colts making any big FA signings and im glad. 

I think Cambell will emerge in the offense next year and Ballard is by far not done with him.

I also think this team has high hopes for Eason and Rivers will be back as long as he wants to be. 

We will see the same team next year as we did this year...

My biggest hope is Xavier gets signed. 

2 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

I dont see the Colts making any big FA signings and im glad. 

I think Cambell will emerge in the offense next year and Ballard is by far not done with him.

I also think this team has high hopes for Eason and Rivers will be back as long as he wants to be. 

We will see the same team next year as we did this year...

My biggest hope is Xavier gets signed. 

Ballard didn't seem to high on Eason today.    

30 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

After reading all the comments it's exactly as I said before the presser, Ballard talked a lot but didn't really say anything. He is a great public speaker. 

Trying to put assumptions and or personal takes on what he said is all just fan speak just like him speaking GM/coach speak. 

I did pick up that Mack will be gone but missed. That he sees TY as declining and needing to fit a role. Sounded like hes worried about Walker leaving, he really likes the guy. Walker was upset with playing time this year. Ballard said players have to want to be here 100%. I think Walkers the exception where Ballard will really try to win him back.

2 hours ago, Mackrel829 said:

They weren't Super Bowl contenders this year.

If you're relying on Paris Campbell to give you the same production as Allen Robinson, you've led yourself astray somewhere.

Ballard thought they were contenders. They were certainly not overmatched against the 2 seed.  Things would have had to fall their way but they were capable. 

No where at all did I say anything about Campbell potentially being more productive than Robinson.  Or better.  Or anything along those lines.  Nice false equivalency though. 

10 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I did pick up that Mack will be gone but missed. That he sees TY as declining and needing to fit a role. Sounded like hes worried about Walker leaving, he really likes the guy. Walker was upset with playing time this year. Ballard said players have to want to be here 100%. I think Walkers the exception where Ballard will really try to win him back.

The end of Walker as a Colt is likely here. Ballard may love him but they don’t love him  enough to pay him what he will gain on the open market. 

21 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I just finished listening and its more of a lack of him being able to prove he can play in this league... not that they aren't high on him they just don't have proof to back that high hope up. 

By having high hopes I dont mean high expectations. But Ballard clearly is in no rush to force this QB thing. He really seemed to feel as if he's got time to figure that out and I personally agree. 

Im not saying dont take a QB if there's one that all but proves he's franchise worthy, just simply that the organization had high "hopes". 

Just my personal opinion. 

18 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Ballard thought they were contenders. They were certainly not overmatched against the 2 seed.  Things would have had to fall their way but they were capable. 

No where at all did I say anything about Campbell potentially being more productive than Robinson.  Or better.  Or anything along those lines.  Nice false equivalency though. 

Cambell got hit right on his knee. That doesn't make him injury prone. Anyone who gets hit there is going down. So if he can come back to full form, he can be quite the player. This offense looked different with him out there for that limited time and way more explosive imo. 

I personally have high hopes for him next year. 

I dont see the Colts doing a ton at WR in the off-season. 

7 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Cambell got hit right on his knee. That doesn't make him injury prone. Anyone who gets hit there is going down. So if he can come back to full form, he can be quite the player. This offense looked different with him out there for that limited time and way more explosive imo. 

I personally have high hopes for him next year. 

I dont see the Colts doing a ton at WR in the off-season. 

I think they are fine at WR honestly 

28 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

The Mack and TY things have been discussed all year so that was nothing new. 

As far as the Walker issue it wasn't public so Ballard is publically letting Walker know how he feels.

This was a standard press conference. No more, no less. 

If you think about it none of us know anymore than we did before the presser. 

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

Something I thought was interesting Ballard said if the right guy came along in the draft he would have zero concern at starting a rookie. He said the team being ready to win would have o bearing on weather they wanted a vet or a young guy.

I honestly think if Lance or Jones is there at 21 Ballard should run to the podium 

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

He is high on him but he needs more info. Kevin Bowen just mentioned in his podcast that he thought Ballard was really Bullish on Eason. He was suprised. 

I would say at best Eason is a future backup 

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

I am with you on lance but just eww to jones.

I'm more on the verge of take the leap of faith 

3 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Who said that?

?

Honestly I don't have a specific name, but I've heard it like a thousand times whenever coaches/FO peeps get interviewed or when veteran players get interviewed and they are asked about when they know a rookie is good or a bust.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

To me there really isn’t GM speak. To me he is  straight forward. It’s not hard to decipher what he says at all. He tells you exactly what he is thinking. 

We want rivers back but will look at all options.

We want Mack back but don’t know if we will be able to if someone offers him a big contract.

He loves walker but knows he wants more playing time. 

In regard to Rivers, the GM in Ballard saw a leader that elevated his roster and won games and put them in an opportunity to compete for a super bowl. He did. The evaluator in Ballard saw an aging qb that doesn’t have the arm strength to take this offense to another dimension, and that was the idea when they brought Frank in with #12 still here. In regard to Eason, the GM in Ballard sees the opposite of Rivers. Unpolished, raw, not close to being ready to lead a team. The evaluator Ballard sees a huge arm that could be an incredible asset to this offense under Frank. He’s not going to force the issue. Rivers is going to be back (unless a better option comes available) and they are going to spend another year evaluating what they have in Eason before forcing the issue. call it what you will, but it is where we are as a franchise. No franchise qb in sight. Too strong of a team (that we will draft 18-25 each year) to draft one without giving too much away to move up early enough.

34 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

The Mack and TY things have been discussed all year so that was nothing new. 

As far as the Walker issue it wasn't public so Ballard is publically letting Walker know how he feels.

This was a standard press conference. No more, no less. 

If you think about it none of us know anymore than we did before the presser. 

I never heard ballard view on ty till today we can think all we want but he backed the thought up. I knew walker was happy but I can see ballard wants to mend that. Another thing I didn't know till today. The presser was helpful.

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

He’s not even comfortable with him as the back-up which is frankly a little concerning if you’re Eason.  “Noodle arm” Rivers can take the Colts to SuperBowl but he’s not confident that Eason can be a backup and needs more time to evaluate?  Are Colts carrying three QBs on the roster again?

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

He’s really impressive and likable. Colts are so lucky to have him as a GM. And yes, given that we all interpreted the same comments completely differently, he did a good job at being ambiguous. 

9 minutes ago, Bolts2Colts said:

He’s not even comfortable with him as the back-up which is frankly a little concerning if you’re Eason.  “Noodle arm” Rivers can take the Colts to SuperBowl but he’s not confident that Eason can be a backup and needs more time to evaluate?  Are Colts carrying three QBs on the roster again?

I guess we will find out in the preseason

3 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

As always with these things:

Watch what they do, not what they say. 

Ballard is pretty straightforward with his mindset, but he’s still a GM and this is a competitive business. Can’t lay everything out on the table. 

He had a real talent for telling the truth without showing his hand. 

Archived