Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could Trey Lance fall to Indy?

Jordan Love had similar skills as Lance, and went early 20s to Green Bay.

With how Mac Jones is killing it in the championship game I could see a team drafting him before Lance. And I do think 3 other QBs will go before him also in Lawrence, Fields, and Wilson. 

If Ballard believes Lance could be the next great QB in this league under Reich, I would love acquiring him in the draft to sit and learn for a year. 

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

If Ballard believes Lance could be the next great QB in this league under Reich, I would love acquiring him in the draft to sit and learn for a year. 

That's the big downside with Lance(and Jones). Hes tied with Jones for the fewest starts and has almost 200 less attempts than any of the other 4 QB's listed. You would have to get an experienced backup to at least start the season.

I predict Jones will drop out of first round. 

Nothing against him but he doesn't wow me on eye test, and his lack of body of work, lack of mobility,  AND PLAYING CATCH with his receivers is what I think nfl GM's will be thinking.

Anyway, I hope Ballard doesn't draft him. 

Just my humble opinion. 

2 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

Could happen. Lamar dropped all the way to 32.

Not a valid comparison at all. Lamar wasn’t seen as a QB coming into the draft by some. He ran and did not throw plus was not great with the route tree and accuracy. I mean stuff he still struggles with. Lance has shown a pockets presence and arm talent plus the running side. 

1 hour ago, DaColts85 said:

Not a valid comparison at all. Lamar wasn’t seen as a QB coming into the draft by some. He ran and did not throw plus was not great with the route tree and accuracy. I mean stuff he still struggles with. Lance has shown a pockets presence and arm talent plus the running side. 

He wasn't seen as a QB? Yeah there were a few people who thought that, it was a minority thought IIRC.

BTW, Lance was recruited heavily to play Safety i believe by some 'bigger' schools so wouldn't surprise me to hear this come up. Draft season is insanity season.

I agree he will fall and will be becasue of no recent film. I really disagree on the Love comp though. Lance is a ton better than Love and i wanted Love bad. One threw as many INT as TD's and one didnt throw a single interception. Plus Lance has a set of wheels under him. Really the only thing i could see if you are wanting Lance to sit for a year and I am not sure if i do. Albeit its all dependent on what hes done during his off time.

1 minute ago, twfish said:

I agree he will fall and will be becasue of no recent film. I really disagree on the Love comp though. Lance is a ton better than Love and i wanted Love bad. One threw as many INT as TD's and one didnt throw a single interception. Plus Lance has a set of wheels under him. Really the only thing i could see if you are wanting Lance to sit for a year and I am not sure if i do. Albeit its all dependent on what hes done during his off time.

I see more Watson in Lance than anyone other recent prospect.

I don't think Lance falls to 21. If the Colts want him I think they will have to trade up into the early teens. (no guarantee he is available even then)

Part of why Jordan Love fell is he took a step back in 2019 compared to 2018. They had a new coaching staff and maybe lost some other talent but I think that played a role in it.

Trey Lance only played in one game this year but I don't think that will hurt his draft stock as much as playing an entire season and regressing did for Jordan Love last year.

The combine and interviews will be important for Trey Lance's draft stock. I would be shocked if he falls to the Colts at 21.

15 hours ago, ColtV said:

That's the big downside with Lance(and Jones). Hes tied with Jones for the fewest starts and has almost 200 less attempts than any of the other 4 QB's listed. You would have to get an experienced backup to at least start the season.

So what you're saying is we need a QB room of Ryan Fitzpatrick, Trey Lance, and Eason haha 

36 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

So what you're saying is we need a QB room of Ryan Fitzpatrick, Trey Lance, and Eason haha 

I say we go with Tyrod Taylor instead of Fitz. 

With Taylors luck, he will miss a game and Lance will blow up and steal his spot. Both Baker and Herbert ended up starting earlier than planned because of him. Might as well see if we can make it happen for us haha

5 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

I would rather try to trade up and get Mac Jones. He can compete with Eason. Winner starts.

If the Colts want Jones they can probably get him at 21.

Also, if they trade up for a QB, or even if they take one at 21, it's not to compete with Eason. You take a QB in round 1 because you fully believe he is going to be your guy (though he might sit for a year like Mahomes) and not because you want him to compete with a QB you drafted on day 3.

13 hours ago, ar7 said:

If the Colts want Jones they can probably get him at 21.

Also, if they trade up for a QB, or even if they take one at 21, it's not to compete with Eason. You take a QB in round 1 because you fully believe he is going to be your guy (though he might sit for a year like Mahomes) and not because you want him to compete with a QB you drafted on day 3.

Let's just say, for the sake of argument, that we get a QB in the 1st round and in training camp and pre-season Eason is clearly the best guy.

Why wouldn't you start him?

2 minutes ago, ColtV said:

Perfect set up guy to start after drafting a new qb! Although he probably wouldn't last beyond 3 games before getting benched.

You think he would last that long?

But he does throw a better bounce pass than Rivers.

11 minutes ago, gspdx said:

Let's just say, for the sake of argument, that we get a QB in the 1st round and in training camp and pre-season Eason is clearly the best guy.

Why wouldn't you start him?

If that were to happen then sure, start Eason.

But if the Colts believe that there is a realistic chance that happens with Eason then they don't spend a first round pick on another QB. If you really believe Eason can be that guy then you use your first round pick on another position to help him and not use it on his backup. 

#1-Lawrence (CU)  Jags

#2- Fields-OSU

After that it's musical chairs.

Atlanta and the Lions might be in play, but that would put Ryan and Stafford in play. Also in play is the Patriots, Colts, Steelers, Bears, 49'ers (Which would put Jimmy G in play, most likely to the Pats),  The Redskins and a lot of questions. Like, do the Eagles keep Wentz or does he move to a QB needy team. Does the Texan's keep making stupid mistakes with Watson, is Tua good with the Phins, do the Saints look for a different QB than Hill or Winston?

#3 BYU's Wilson

#4-Trask from UF

#5-Jones UA

#6- Lance- NDST

#7- Newman- Wake

If we want a QB one will fall to #21, but I'd think OT would be a more pressing need..

1 hour ago, ar7 said:

If that were to happen then sure, start Eason.

But if the Colts believe that there is a realistic chance that happens with Eason then they don't spend a first round pick on another QB. If you really believe Eason can be that guy then you use your first round pick on another position to help him and not use it on his backup. 

I think at this point we don't know who could be that guy.  Until a guy has some time under his belt as a starter you just never know.

I would not object at all if the Colts drafted a QB and gave them an equal shot.  So we have the best guy start next year and if that is Eason then fine.  If over time the new guy looks to outperform Eason - maybe Lance - then he becomes the starter.

If Eason can't get it done then we have a second option.

And if they are both good then we have trade capital.

And if they both fall on their faces we need to start again.

Either way I think it keeps us from putting all our hopes on one guy.

12 minutes ago, gspdx said:

I think at this point we don't know who could be that guy.  Until a guy has some time under his belt as a starter you just never know.

I would not object at all if the Colts drafted a QB and gave them an equal shot.  So we have the best guy start next year and if that is Eason then fine.  If over time the new guy looks to outperform Eason - maybe Lance - then he becomes the starter.

If Eason can't get it done then we have a second option.

And if they are both good then we have trade capital.

And if they both fall on their faces we need to start again.

Either way I think it keeps us from putting all our hopes on one guy.

I just don't subscribe to considering Eason turning out to be a starter. Looking at history says it's extremely unlikely he does.

Very few QBs drafted outside of round 1 turn out half as good as Kirk Cousins let alone the guys typically thrown out as reason to be optimistic about Eason. (Wilson, Brees, Brady)

Is it impossible? No but neither is me winning the lottery. Having a shot at winning the lottery doesn't change my budget or savings plan.  

Good teams don't have QB competitions. 

If the Colts draft a QB in round 1 it will not be to have a QB competition and think they might trade on at some point, it will be because they don't think they have a long-term starter at QB on the roster. 

If Eason turns out to be good then that's great and it will be a nice surprise. But lets not pretend the slim chances of this happening warrant viewing Eason as a likely future starter.

3 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Hope so!

I'm not a big believer in Alabama QBs due to the talent they are surrounded with at the college level. Plus when's the last time the NFL has seen a successful QB from Alabama?

I agree and disagree. Alabama QB’s do get masked because of the talent that is around them, but I am a fan of Mac Jones. To me he is smarter than the previous guys. He was not just a game manager like most have been. He had a solid year and I think can read a defense. In a good system I think he flourishes. 

2 hours ago, ar7 said:

I just don't subscribe to considering Eason turning out to be a starter. Looking at history says it's extremely unlikely he does.

Very few QBs drafted outside of round 1 turn out half as good as Kirk Cousins let alone the guys typically thrown out as reason to be optimistic about Eason. (Wilson, Brees, Brady)

Is it impossible? No but neither is me winning the lottery. Having a shot at winning the lottery doesn't change my budget or savings plan.  

Good teams don't have QB competitions. 

If the Colts draft a QB in round 1 it will not be to have a QB competition and think they might trade on at some point, it will be because they don't think they have a long-term starter at QB on the roster. 

If Eason turns out to be good then that's great and it will be a nice surprise. But lets not pretend the slim chances of this happening warrant viewing Eason as a likely future starter.

I'm not viewing Eason as the likely future starter just like I am not convinced that any 1st round QB will be a successful starter.  There is just too much evidence that many of the 1st rounders don't become what teams hope they will.  So if we go get a guy like Lance I don't want to see him damaged by being thrown in year 1 with all of the pressure that goes along with it.  I would expect if we draft a guy in the 1st round we expect him to start at some point, but I wouldn't just throw him in there because he was a first round guy.  He needs to be ready.

9 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Lawrence goes 1st

Fields goes top 5

Wilson goes top 10

Lance goes top 25  Team trades up

Jones goes top of 2nd Team trades up

Trask goes middle of 2nd

Lawrence goes 1

Fields and Wilson go top 5, one of them to the Jets, the other one - a team trades up for.

Lance goes 12 to 49ers or earlier (a team trades up for him)

Jones goes end of 1st, possible trade up from a team on top of R2.

Trask goes day 2(won't be shocked if R3)

Archived