Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Qb for next year/QB class of 2021 (merge)

stitches

13 minutes ago, bravo4460 said:

I don’t think it would be an issue whatsoever to have more than 1 guy Pittmans size. What happens when that big receiver gets hurt (Pittman misses 3 games last season).

Also, T.Y. Isn’t as fast as he used to be, honestly Pittman or other big WR may be faster at this point...

Colts need some weapons at WR. I like Pittman and Hilton is good. Pascal is average. After that.... not much. NEED more explosive playmakers in my opinion (Big or small).

Stafford, like Rivers, thrived in their careers with big / tall WRs like VJax, Floyd, Mike Williams, Megatron, Golladay etc., and if I’m investing in a WR, I’d invest in the big catch radius guy. That’s why you see Rivers and Stafford throw it ahead and let the WR go and get it, except when it’s underneath.

Both of them throw to RBs plenty but Rivers throws more to TEs than Stafford, based on history. Ebron dropped passes a lot as a first rounder, Hockenson was thriving this past year but only because of injuries to Golladay, that’s something Frank has to think long and hard about, Stafford not looking to TEs much.

Being objective here.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Players are commodities.   The team will get the most they can

I have read where she is very close to him.  It happens when you are the owner and know someone and his family for 12 years and he's the face of your franchise.  I don't think she will let her new people do him a wrong just to squeeze out another pick. I don't think he will go anywhere unless he agrees to go there.  I would bet that is what the two sides greed too. 

43 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

SF has a Star Tight end. Two young WR in Samual and Ayiuk. They have a good run game too. Although not as big of a star as Taylor or Hines. They have a higher draft pick. The only thing is they are in the NFC. They got the injury bug this season. They also have a great defense. 

That's why they won't trade him there.  In conference?  What if he wins a SB there?  The Lions fans and ownership will never live it down.  

21 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I have read where she is very close to him.  It happens when you are the owner and know someone and his family for 12 years and he's the face of your franchise.  I don't think she will let her new people do him a wrong just to squeeze out another pick. I don't think he will go anywhere unless he agrees to go there.  I would bet that is what the two sides greed too. 

She is 95 years old.   I'm sure her last worry is where Stafford is going to be playing.   She doesn't have any day to day dealings with the team anymore either. 

11 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

That's why they won't trade him there.  In conference?  What if he wins a SB there?  The Lions fans and ownership will never live it down.  

You just said the owner wouldn't send him to a bad situation,  then turn around and say they won't trade him to a good situation.     Is it about a good landing spot for Stafford or what's best for the team?   It can't be both

1 hour ago, indykmj said:

I'd say that SF is as ready or more ready to win BIG right now than the Colts are. 

I’m not predicting that we’re going to acquire Stafford.  I’m only saying that if we do, I don’t see him leaving over money.  Not at this point in his career. 

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

The issue with that is the draft capital would have to be spent even if we were to move up to get a QB of your choice that could be rated as a franchise QB. If we get a wide receiver in free agency, most likely TY is gone.

All the failures to hit on the pass rushers in the draft is going to have a carryover effect because there’s only so much money and draft capital  to go around. Otherwise we would not even be talking about bringing Houston back. We have to hope that a few good pass rushers drop just a bit in the second round. Also we may have to play free agency for both the wide receiver position and get the Pittsburgh offensive tackle in free agency, Villanueva.

If we get Stafford, getting a wide receiver and an offensive tackle in free agency seems to be the best balance of using draft capital and free agency money.

I would agree. To add, pass rushers are a huge commodity now and are borderline becoming how QB's are viewed. Supply and demand is at a huge level of imbalance across the league.

I hope the Colts realize that the front four they currently have simply don't produce a consistent enough pass rush and will need to make some personnel or scheme changes as they go forward.

Just sitting here sifting through stuff, as it stands right now, I'm kind of doubting that Ballard is going to be the high bidder for Stafford.

I'm not a big believer in the rookie field of QB's beyond Lawrence. The guy from Ohio State.. I'm kinda mystified by the hype around him and the rest is honestly just at best a coin flip (actually it's not even odds at all, most of those guys will bust)- I don't think Wentz can really play anymore and he's certainly not worth 25+mill a season. That's just an awful contract.

There's a chance we should hope Eason is better than we're being let on.

5 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Just sitting here sifting through stuff, as it stands right now, I'm kind of doubting that Ballard is going to be the high bidder for Stafford.

I'm not a big believer in the rookie field of QB's beyond Lawrence. The guy from Ohio State.. I'm kinda mystified by the hype around him and the rest is honestly just at best a coin flip (actually it's not even odds at all, most of those guys will bust)- I don't think Wentz can really play anymore and he's certainly not worth 25+mill a season. That's just an awful contract.

There's a chance we should hope Eason is better than we're being let on.

Well, I think the last thing the Colts would do is overhype Eason. Based off of Ballard's level of transparency with other matters, I'd say they truly view Eason the way they've described him: Talented but really unpolished and may never become more than a backup.

Stafford is the only realistic option at this point if the Colts want to have a legit shot at a SB in the next few seasons. Every other option takes too long to develop (young, inexperienced QB) or will force the team into regression or stagnation (veteran market QB).

Daniel Jeremiah just published his latest mock draft after the Stafford announcement.  Guess what?  He projected a trade and he has the Lions taking Fields with pick 7 and he has them taking an ER with pick 21.  He thinks we are the most likely team to acquire Stafford.  I really think he is going to be a Colt too.  And I think the trade will happen quickly.  No need to drag this out four weeks or so.  Detroit is already fielding offers so it won't take them long to get their best offers and to get it done.  The teams will want it that way too.  They will want to move on to plan B if they don't get him.  I don't think Ballard will treat his acquisition like he does with drawing a line in the sand with mid tier FA's.  He knows he is the answer at QB.  You can bet that the compensation he gives up will be fair in his mind and worth it.  Of course there is always a chance a team throws a ridiculous offer out there but I would be surprised.  Maybe a crazy offer for Watson but I don't think for Stafford.  So we are on the clock. Right now I like our chances.  

So Stafford wasn’t the answer for the Lions in his prime, but he’s the answer for the Colts in his 30’s?  No question he can put up numbers, but I feel like we’ll continue to be mired in high end mediocrity....borderline playoff team with a pick somewhere between 15 and 25 every year.  I’d rather they roll with Eason (high risk, high reward), rather than a low risk, average reward in Stafford.  We need our draft picks.

7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This could actually help the colts get Stafford. Other teams will be wanting Watson. SF gets him out of the AFC.

I am guessing the Lions would rather trade Stafford to an AFC team to get him out of the conference, same for the Texans regarding Watson to an NFC team. That is a safe way of not being burned by a QB a team had in the same conference in a playoff game. 

1 hour ago, danlhart87 said:

I read that Watson really wants to be a Jet. You know your team sucks when you'd rather play for the Jets. 

Watson has really disappointed me. I heard coming out of college bout all his intangibles that  were through the roof. Houston has had a lot of success during Watson's time with the team. Agree or disagree eith O'Brien's moves, he tried to win.  Texans have one bad year and Watson wants out. Plus, he takes too social media. Not appropriate at all.

1 minute ago, Breeze said:

So Stafford wasn’t the answer for the Lions in his prime, but he’s the answer for the Colts in his 30’s?  No question he can put up numbers, but I feel like we’ll continue to be mired in high end mediocrity....borderline playoff team with a pick somewhere between 15 and 25 every year.  I’d rather they roll with Eason (high risk, high reward), rather than a low risk, average reward in Stafford.  We need our draft picks.

33 isn't old for a QB now days, he is technically still in his prime. Several QB's play into their late 30's now days. The not winning any big games part doesn't bother me with Stafford because of the organization he was with. He can win here in a winning culture. He is a proven talent that has put up huge numbers, that talent is there, he just needs the right team. Look at what Tannehill has done with the Titans, he was average at best with Miami and never won anything.

2 minutes ago, Breeze said:

This isn’t the NBA where one player can change your team into an overnight winner. The Lions have been a largely mediocre to bad franchise since their inception and one player certainly isn’t enough to change that.

if you’d rather roll with a QB that literally has no experience, is a complete unknown and may never be more than a backup (Ballard’s words not mine), then go for it.

8 minutes ago, Restored said:

This isn’t the NBA where one player can change your team into an overnight winner. The Lions have been a largely mediocre to bad franchise since their inception and one player certainly isn’t enough to change that.

if you’d rather roll with a QB that literally has no experience, is a complete unknown and may never be more than a backup (Ballard’s words not mine), then go for it.

Well the Colts probably won’t let any of us ‘go for it’.  But yes, I’d rather they roll with Eason. 

7 hours ago, stitches said:

If Stafford comes and we don't do much else, we are not much better than this season. Especially if we lose some of our FAs. If we are going for win-now moves, go all the way(within reason of course), don't half-* it. We need legitimate improvements at WR, DE, CB(and now LT needs addressing)...  what we had this year won't do it, even with Stafford. 

Argh! This is frustrating... way too many positions of value to address. The more I think about it the less sense it makes to me to go for Stafford. Just go get your QB from the draft... 

I'm with you as in ideally we'd like to get a QB in the draft, but going the Stafford route is an excellent option too.

I'm sure Ballard will have his threshold of what he is willing to give up. Assuming he will have to offer the 2021 first round draft pick, I think the 2021 second route pick will be very hard for him to part with. Maybe the 2022 second route pick as part of the deal, but this year there are some good options at T and DE in the second round that Ballard would like to have the chance to draft.

I'd expect us to be able to add more talent with Stafford. It's not a great that we have a few key holes, but we do have resources. We would still have about $49m cap space for 2021 and there is some good options in the FA at T and DE (as well as the 2nd round). I think we resign Hilton and Rhodes and add more depth at WR and CB in the mid rounds of the draft. Ballard can still put out a better roster in 2021.

44 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This could actually help the colts get Stafford. Other teams will be wanting Watson. SF gets him out of the AFC.

I wouldn't be surprised if Watson is traded pretty quickly now.  Pick up all of those picks now so the new coach and GM can start planning the rebuild.  Remove the drama asap. I'm guessing SF.

40 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Let’s see. Colts have cap space and good team around Stafford. One of Ballard’s best friends is now in the lions front office. Get it done Chris.

Do you think because Ballard and Dorsey are tight, the Lions will now let Stafford go for a conditional 7th?

12 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Do you think because Ballard and Dorsey are tight, the Lions will now let Stafford go for a conditional 7th?

I know you were being funny but in reality I think it will take at least our 21st and next years 2nd and that still might not be enough. Maybe they like Eason for some reason too, I have no idea but if they do I would throw him in there on that deal. We can always sign a backup for cheap in case Stafford get injured. I don't see JB coming back unless he wants to take a huge paycut.

Archived