Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Qb for next year/QB class of 2021 (merge)

stitches

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Watch Houston grab Stafford. Him, plus oodles of draft picks they'd get from Watson.... ugh... Then Jax with Lawrence and all their draft capital. And TN still tough.

Hope Ballard is already on the phone...

I wouldn't be shocked to see ATL do the same with Ryan, although I don't think it would be a good move for them.

Detroit won’t screw him like that. Probably indy, SF, and Denver. Denver is still rebuilding so that isn’t a great spot. Come on Ballard get it done. This gives us stability for the next few year. Might have to redo his contact to add a few dollars.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Watch Houston grab Stafford. Him, plus oodles of draft picks they'd get from Watson.... ugh... Then Jax with Lawrence and all their draft capital. And TN still tough.

Hope Ballard is already on the phone...

I wouldn't be shocked to see ATL do the same with Ryan, although I don't think it would be a good move for them.

You don’t think Stafford won’t have any say on where he goes? Or is the highest bidder the winner?

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Detroit won’t screw him like that. Probably indy, SF, and Denver. Denver is still rebuilding so that isn’t a great spot. Come on Ballard get it done. This gives us stability for the next few year. Might have to redo his contact to add a few dollars.

Houston isn't as bad as destination now. They're getting drug right now because of Watson. They'll have a new coach and GM. Heck, Eberflus could be there.

I'm sure Stafford has a say on where he goes.  He also has a clause in his contract.  

1 minute ago, adubb84 said:

You don’t think Stafford won’t have any say on where he goes? Or is the highest bidder the winner?

If Stafford doesn't have a NTC, he's pretty much at the mercy of Detroit's FO. I'm sure everyone wants each other to be happy, but the offers can't have a huge delta if there's no NTC.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Houston isn't as bad as destination now. They're getting drug right now because of Watson. They'll have a new coach and GM. Heck, Eberflus could be there.

Houston's current reputation?  Watson is leaving for a reason.   My guess is he would love to play for QB Reich.

Why would he leave one rebuild for another. He is going to have a say.  Isn’t he from Texas though.

Houston doesn't have to be a rebuild if they get Stafford. Stafford + 3 first round + 3 second round picks could rebuild them quickly if it was a rebuild.

He was born in Tampa, grew up early days in GA, then moved to Dallas and played at Highland Park. 

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Why?  he's only one year older than Luck.  I betcha Irsay is going crazy thinking about him playing for the Colts. 

I like Stafford, and he's one of my favs to come here, but not jumping to SB talk. Even if we solve for QB, we still have a lot of other things to solve for. And IMO, it's not like he's the perfect prospect. Good one though.

Jason La Canfora

@JasonLaCanfora

·

27m

Can confirm Lions are committed to trading Matt Stafford. Retooling with young GM/HC and looking to build thru draft. There will be a robust market. Have heard for quite some time the Colts were waiting to see what happens in Detroit and prepared to pounce a la Buckner last year

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I will say as much as we love Ballard to not prepare for the QB and LT last season was pretty bad. He had a LT who was thinking about retirement and a 39 year old QB. How were neither of those positions better planned for in 2020.

As JSkinnz would say......

This is an Oh, Dear God moment.

The sky is not falling.    Take a deep breath.....

Got a feeling....

If this deal goes through I think a LOT of folks are going to thrilled to have him on the team followed by angst from many others when they find out what the Colts gave up to get him over here.

I’ll be happy either way :applause: 

21 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Stafford is the leading vote getter

Oh I know he’s winning the one from this off season. I’m talking about the one from last off season. I think Jordan love was leading it or something like that. I don’t know it was like a year ago. 

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I like Stafford, and he's one of my favs to come here, but not jumping to SB talk. Even if we solve for QB, we still have a lot of other things to solve for. And IMO, it's not like he's the perfect prospect. Good one though.

I said could.  And how could you not jump to SB talk if he comes here.  There will be smarter football people than me thinking and talking the same thing.  

12 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Houston's current reputation?  Watson is leaving for a reason.   My guess is he would love to play for QB Reich.

There's a new GM and will be a new coach. The org will be totally different in 21.

Watson is leaving because he didn't like the previous admin, and wanted to control hiring. Has nothing to do with what will be in place for the new QB. The FO and coaching staff will likely be all new.

11 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I can't remember where I read it but I did read it.  I'm sure it will resurface again.  He has a say.  

I just looked again. Read a few articles on his contract, and nothing about a NTC.

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I said could.  And how could you not jump to SB talk if he comes here.  There will be smarter football people than me thinking and talking the same thing.  

Talking heads will talk about anything. A brand new narrative every day.

Even if we get Stafford via trade, we still have holes at 2xDE, LT, CB1, WR1, and LT, which are all critical and high dollar positions. Way to early to say anything IMO even if we did land Stafford. It would be a very nice hole to plug though.

13 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I can't remember where I read it but I did read it.  I'm sure it will resurface again.  He has a say.  

I just looked again. Read a few articles on his contract, and nothing about a NTC.

According to Sarah Barshop with ESPN, Stafford does not have a NTC in his contract.

Among quarterbacks, Watson, Patrick Mahomes, Drew Brees, Jimmy Garoppolo (but only in 2021), Russell Wilson and Tom Brady have no-trade inclusions built into their current contracts. Cardinals wide receivers DeAndre Hopkins and Larry Fitzgerald, who negotiated their own contracts in Arizona, also have no-trade clauses.

1 minute ago, Dogg63 said:

According to Sarah Barshop with ESPN, Stafford does not have a NTC in his contract.

Among quarterbacks, Watson, Patrick Mahomes, Drew Brees, Jimmy Garoppolo (but only in 2021), Russell Wilson and Tom Brady have no-trade inclusions built into their current contracts. Cardinals wide receivers DeAndre Hopkins and Larry Fitzgerald, who negotiated their own contracts in Arizona, also have no-trade clauses.

Thank you sir. That's what I thought.

Just now, EastStreet said:

Even if we get Stafford via trade, we still have holes at 2xDE, LT, CB1, WR1, and LT, which are all critical and high dollar positions. Way to early to say anything IMO even if we did land Stafford. It would be a very nice hole to plug though.

Which is why it's nice that Stafford's contract is so affordable for an elite QB.

Had a $46m cap hit for Brissett and Rivers in 2020. 

Anyone know what SF salary cap situation is.i could see Jimmy G being traded to NE.  I am going to assume Stafford contact gets redone and he gets a raise. Colts have room to make that happen. Next week should be wild with lots of rumors. 

I would have no problem giving them the 21st pick and next years number one pick. The question is will that be enough because they are going to want to move up to make sure they get a QB.

LT and Edge Rusher are the main 2 holes if we get Stafford. Having said that having a true #1 WR would be gigantic. I see TY at this stage in his career as a #2. Pittman could blossom into a #1??

2 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

Which is why it's nice that Stafford's contract is so affordable for an elite QB.

Had a $46m cap hit for Brissett and Rivers in 2020. 

We have 64M IIRC to cover all of that, which is why I think we try to bring several back on team friendly deals. 

I would not be surprised to see either Stafford or the receiving team (likely both) to potentially want an immediate extension with the trade depending on the draft capital used.

Archived