Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Qb for next year/QB class of 2021 (merge)

stitches

2 minutes ago, IinD said:

That's my feeling as well, I'll grin and bear it, but I don't want to give potentially 2 or 3 picks for him.

He definitely scares me though. Older, been beat up during his career and stuck in a terrible organization for years with a losing culture.

Let's hope it all works out.

To the “older” comment, I just read a bit ago that he’s less than 2 years older than Andrew Luck.  Ergo, in QB terms, he is now right in his prime, a prime that should be able to last a good 5 years, maybe even 7.  Certainly well worth a 1st round draft choice.

If I am Ballard, my first call is ... “Hello, Andrew ..... No?  Okay, thanks and again, all the best.”

2nd call, “Hello, Detroit Lions, so let’s talk Stafford ...”

Then the Official Colts tweet ... “The Indianapolis Colts are happy to announce that we’ve traded to acquire Matthew Stafford!”

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, IinD said:

That's my feeling as well, I'll grin and bear it, but I don't want to give potentially 2 or 3 picks for him.

He definitely scares me though. Older, been beat up during his career and stuck in a terrible organization for years with a losing culture.

Let's hope it all works out.

His age doesn't bother me. He's good for another 5 years, if he doesn't suffer catastrophic injury.

Speaking of which, in the last ten seasons, he's missed eight games. All eight of those missed games were in 2019, due to a back injury. He was back and looked fine physically in 2020. (I think there's a feeling that Stafford misses games all the time, is hurt all the time, etc. Not sure where that comes from.) He was producing well before he got hurt, and had started something like 130 games in a row.

The Lions having a losing culture doesn't influence my thoughts on Stafford.

We'll see what happens, but I hope the rumors are true and the Colts are able to get this done. It would likely bring some stability to the QB position for the first time in six years, and it would allow the front office to keep building the roster with an eye toward the future.

1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

He's going to be 38 and would most likely cost multiple 1s to get

Rodgers isn’t 38 in football years.

Remember, he didn’t play his first three years.   He was behind Brett Favre.   So that’s three more years of punishment that AR didn’t experience.   His level of play hasn’t fallen off.  That’s a good sign. 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Rodgers isn’t 38 in football years.

Remember, he didn’t play his first three years.   He was behind Brett Favre.   So that’s three more years of punishment that AR didn’t experience.   His level of play hasn’t fallen off.  That’s a good sign. 

plus he has said he wants to play well into his 40's..

3 minutes ago, twfish said:

plus he has said he wants to play well into his 40's..

Well, all other things equal, Aaron Rodgers is definitely one of the QBs I’d prefer over Stafford - even if he is older.  He’s still a fantastic player (obviously, he’s deservedly about to win the MVP).

But I just wonder about how feasible it is that we could get him.

29 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

To the “older” comment, I just read a bit ago that he’s less than 2 years older than Andrew Luck.  Ergo, in QB terms, he is now right in his prime, a prime that should be able to last a good 5 years, maybe even 7.  Certainly well worth a 1st round draft choice.

If I am Ballard, my first call is ... “Hello, Andrew ..... No?  Okay, thanks and again, all the best.”

2nd call, “Hello, Detroit Lions, so let’s talk Stafford ...”

Then the Official Colts tweet ... “The Indianapolis Colts are happy to announce that we’ve traded to acquire Matthew Stafford!”

From the Indy newspaper...

Stafford has been on the gameday injury report for the following body parts during his career, according to pro-football-reference.com: hip (10), shoulder (8), knee (7.5 times), thumb (4), back (3), ribs (3), finger (2.5), ankle (2), groin (1), quadricep (1), arm (1), hand (1), foot (1),

That's 13 body parts for a total of 44 games, or 22.9% of all the games he could have played in.

He's been sacked almost 400 times in his career also, that's wear and tear to me.

I'm not poo pooing the plan for him because we literally have nobody to play QB right now, but I don't want to give up a ton for him. 

I'd say that's my main gripe.

10 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

His age scares me not because he can’t play. At that age he could retire anytime. I don’t want to be searching for another QB after a year because he decides to retire.

Can you imagine? We sign Rodgers and he ends up retiring after one season. Haha Indianapolis Colts - where HOF QBs come to retire.

I think the 49ers will have a hard time making this happen with Garropolo on their roster with 2 years left on a giant contract and a no trade clause. They would conceivable tie up $50-65 million of their cap over the next 2 seasons unless they move Jimmy G. Problem with that is who would be willing to trade for that Jimmy G contract and/or trade for Jimmy G in the first place? Whoever would trade for him would also have to be a place that Jimmy G wants to go otherwise he could say no. That seems like a lot to have happen here.

42 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

His age scares me not because he can’t play. At that age he could retire anytime. I don’t want to be searching for another QB after a year because he decides to retire.

It's a different model of building but if he comes in and gives the Colts a shot at winning the SB, I'd take that with both hands IF a deal cannot be made to get a young QB the staff likes.

It's not quite QB hell but we're certainly in purgatory if a QB of that age comes to town. 

42 minutes ago, IinD said:

From the Indy newspaper...

Stafford has been on the gameday injury report for the following body parts during his career, according to pro-football-reference.com: hip (10), shoulder (8), knee (7.5 times), thumb (4), back (3), ribs (3), finger (2.5), ankle (2), groin (1), quadricep (1), arm (1), hand (1), foot (1),

That's 13 body parts for a total of 44 games, or 22.9% of all the games he could have played in.

He's been sacked almost 400 times in his career also, that's wear and tear to me.

I'm not poo pooing the plan for him because we literally have nobody to play QB right now, but I don't want to give up a ton for him. 

I'd say that's my main gripe.

Stafford's rep is that he's injured alot.

If you bring Stafford in, have a good backup QB.  Maybe Jacoby ?

48 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

He looked like a beaten man that was ready to retire right there during his postgame press conference.

3 minutes ago, coltsva said:

Injury report history doesn’t concern me.

Would you take this guy?

As of May 2017, this QB was on the injury report 186 times, for 11 different body parts, including 116 for his right (throwing) shoulder.

1 minute ago, PRnum1 said:

Stafford has missed 8games in 10 years. Those 8 games were all at once. 

1 minute ago, PRnum1 said:

He looked like a beaten man that was ready to retire right there during his postgame press conference.

How beaten down would you look if were the starting QB for the Lions for the last 12 years?  

Last year he threw for 4,084 yds, 26 TDs and 10 picks. 

That with being sacked 38 times. 

13 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Nah, I would wait and see how both Alex Smith and Mike Glennon are handled and would go for them over Jacoby, to be honest. They throw with anticipation and move the chains, and would work well with Frank's system. 

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Nah, I would wait and see how both Alex Smith and Mike Glennon are handled and would go for them over Jacoby, to be honest. They throw with anticipation and move the chains, and would work well with Frank's system. 

I’m big on Smith.   Would love to have him if he still wants to play.   Not so much with Glennon.  I’d much prefer JB over him as our backup. 

45 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Yeah and hes gonna be a future hall of famer

lol. yeah, some thought that.

they've been a bit quiet this year.

IMO, he was asked to do more this year, and with some of the scheme changes (rip liz), just didn't work out well. 

If we didn't have so many other needs this year, there are a few great LBs in the draft. If JOK somehow drops to the second, I'd love to grab him if we've solved for the other holes. He and DL would be the best LB core in the league.

5 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

I'm ok with Stafford as long as trades fair. I dont want Rodgers at all.

Why wouldn't you want arguably one of the Greatest QB's of All Time, even if it's just a few years?? And we're desperately in need of a QB. A QB to try and WIN NOW!

The cost of resources to get him pale in comparison to what we would be getting.

1 minute ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Why wouldn't you want arguably one of the Greatest QB's of All Time, even if it's just a few years?? And we're desperately in need of a QB. A QB to try and WIN NOW!

The cost of resources to get him pale in comparison to what we would be getting.

It would cost entirely too much.  You know damn well it would cost multiple 1s and I'm not willing to gamble on us winning the next 2 years. He couldn't win in GB so doubt he wins it all with us. Groom a young guy in draft!

1 hour ago, Duke_Of_NY_A_Number_1 said:

Rodgers seems like a smart guy, thus he'll never, ever come to the AFC if he wants to get back to the SB, and that's one of the reasons as to why Brady left the AFC at this point in time. The AFC is a monster!

But if he went to Pittsburgh or New England they would be the monsters.

4 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

It would cost entirely too much.  You know damn well it would cost multiple 1s and I'm not willing to gamble on us winning the next 2 years. He couldn't win in GB so doubt he wins it all with us. Groom a young guy in draft!

I'm not concerned about cost when it comes to super stars/playmakers, especially when it overnight makes you a serious threat to win it all.

Going with a drafted rookie or Eason eliminates any chance of a deep playoff run and frankly probably be fortunate to even contend for a wild card. 

Just now, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I'm not concerned about cost when it comes to super stars/playmakers, especially when it overnight makes you a serious threat to win it all.

Going with a drafted rookie or Eason eliminates any chance of a deep playoff run and frankly probably be fortunate to even contend for a wild card. 

Its not worth the gamble especially since the average age of QBs in AFC is 26.75 . I dont like the idea of putting all our eggs in 1 basket. 

1 minute ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

He is 38. You give up to many future picks and we don’t win a SB and he decides to retire. Your then paying for a guy that you don’t even still have on your team.

Archived