Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Here's my 2 cents

danlhart87

45 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

Our pass offense is a little better than last year but not anywhere near the level we want it to be. Reality is we have a below average QB and a banged up WR core. We are one injury away (TY) and our pass offense will be in dire straits. Rivers doesn't look like he has the arm strength to throw outside the numbers effectively either.

Pass offense  is worse than last year in some areas. Mainly  the redzone 

1 minute ago, Architects08 said:

The entire offense has been disappointing and it starts with Rivers. He is who he is though. He wont win any shootouts. 

If I was Ballard I'd consider trading multiple high draft picks to land a QB in this draft. 

Or keep the picks and groom Eason.

the problem is we tried to cheat the rebuild by getting rivers .  the team has been getting a lot of good young talent in the draft , and did not need to go and try to win it all with rivers .   i rather watch the colts go 8-8 for two more years then be real contenders then try and buy a team and win now.    i would rather not have paid for rhodes and other older plug players and just keep sticking the young players in to get playing time . play isiah rogers at corner let him learn play all the young players like ben at defensive end let them grow .  Put in eason let him grow and let the team find its way and keep drafting for the next two years then in three years go win a ring.

4 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Some perspective:  The Jets, Giants, Falcons, Lions, Vikings, Chargers, Broncos would all like to trade places with us.

We didn't have AC.  We didn't have a lot of our skill players.  Our QB is 38, immobile, and his throws are inaccurate and have no zip.  I wasn't surprised with today's outcome.  But I still think we're going to win more than we lose.

Awww the old at least we are not like the other team excuse. That the same as. At least we made the playoffs or at least we won the division. Stop making excuses for this team and start holding them accountable or this colts team fan base is going to be no better the the pacers fan base. Happy with mediocrity and little improvement.

3 hours ago, coming on strong said:

the problem is we tried to cheat the rebuild by getting rivers .  the team has been getting a lot of good young talent in the draft , and did not need to go and try to win it all with rivers .   i rather watch the colts go 8-8 for two more years then be real contenders then try and buy a team and win now.    i would rather not have paid for rhodes and other older plug players and just keep sticking the young players in to get playing time . play isiah rogers at corner let him learn play all the young players like ben at defensive end let them grow .  Put in eason let him grow and let the team find its way and keep drafting for the next two years then in three years go win a ring.

You have to build a culture of winning. If we did that, our core players would all be reaching 28-29 years old just like luck with nothing to show for it. 

Young players need playoff experience as well. 

We are one draft, a year of development, and a QB away from being a top 3 team. 

With Campbell, Mack, & Pittman healthy, our team would be drastically different.

This one hurts because in years past, the Browns weren't good enough to take advantage of what we handed them yesterday and we would probably would have won that game against the "old" Browns.  Gotta give them some credit for taking advantage of our mistakes...AND Garrett is a beast and would have probably dominated AC, too.

16 hours ago, coming on strong said:

I totally disagree.  I liked that Ballard tried with Rivers.   Season is not over either, just barely through preseason.  With AC, Leonard, Pittman, Campbell and others, this game could have been different.  Rivers was not good, there is no doubt there.   The Pass "D" was not good at all.  Reich was questionable with his game plan once again.  Only 6 passes to Cox in the past 3 weeks.  Makes no sense.  Not sure what Hines was thinking.  This was a team loss, but Rivers is the QB and didn't play well, so he should get more blame. 

Folks R-E-L-A-X !!!

We'll be 4-2 after next weekend.  And 5-2 after the first game out of the bye.

We lost A game, not the season.  Thats why there are 16 of them.

I still think we're a wild card team.

True, there are some things to correct, and we'll correct them.

5-2 coming right up !!!!

37 minutes ago, Myles said:

I totally disagree.  I liked that Ballard tried with Rivers.   Season is not over either, just barely through preseason.  With AC, Leonard, Pittman, Campbell and others, this game could have been different.  Rivers was not good, there is no doubt there.   The Pass "D" was not good at all.  Reich was questionable with his game plan once again.  Only 6 passes to Cox in the past 3 weeks.  Makes no sense.  Not sure what Hines was thinking.  This was a team loss, but Rivers is the QB and didn't play well, so he should get more blame. 

That is my point though we are a qb and a handful of players away from being a super bowl team. Work on getting the real franchise qb now replace a couple of the older players and in 2 years we could have the best roster in football.   Or we just try quick fix older players and I just don't believe that works . All elite teams build through the draft .  I only like bringing in young cheap free agents who are undervalued by the league.  I believe ballard went against his own core beliefs bringing on Rhodes and rivers .  If we made the super bowl last year and had a team full of older vets then bringing In older vets makes sense but our real core average age is 24 .  We are still 2 years away from being a superbowl team

15 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

That is my point though we are a qb and a handful of players away from being a super bowl team. Work on getting the real franchise qb now replace a couple of the older players and in 2 years we could have the best roster in football.   Or we just try quick fix older players and I just don't believe that works . All elite teams build through the draft .  I only like bringing in young cheap free agents who are undervalued by the league.  I believe ballard went against his own core beliefs bringing on Rhodes and rivers .  If we made the super bowl last year and had a team full of older vets then bringing In older vets makes sense but our real core average age is 24 .  We are still 2 years away from being a superbowl team

i prefer to try to win now.   In 2 years we are going to be facing salary cap hits, so some of those young players may not be on the team.  I think that if a GM believes his team can make the playoffs, that he should go for it now.  The Buckner trade was great.  The Rivers signing may or may not work out.  The Eason pick may or may not work out.  

15 hours ago, Freenyfan102 said:

Awww the old at least we are not like the other team excuse. That the same as. At least we made the playoffs or at least we won the division. Stop making excuses for this team and start holding them accountable or this colts team fan base is going to be no better the the pacers fan base. Happy with mediocrity and little improvement.

Normally I don't do this kind of thing where someone dissed me so I have to respond and punch back.  But I'm kinda having a bad day, so it's your turn.  You may be a Senior Member, but I've got 1,057 likes compared to your 279.  More people like what I have to say than what you have to say, so I'm gonna say what I have to say without fear of too much reprisal.

Perspective.  We lost a game.  One game.  On the road.  Do I want to make excuses for this team when it performs poorly?  No.  Am I happy with mediocrity?  No.  But we're playing with half our offensive arms tied behind our backs.  I'm not surprised we lost the game.  Does anybody on this site truly believe that we are the best team in the league?  Even if we had all of our arms?  No, we're not.  So, when we go up to Chicago and beat a team that has issues, and we do it ugly, I accept the win and move on.  And if we lose by only 9 points on the road to a good team with only half our offensive arms and with a 38 year old quarterback who can't throw straight or with enough velocity to have any hope of throwing outside the numbers...  I accept the loss as well.  We're a better than average team.  And, pending any devastating injuries, will finish with a better than average record.  We'll continue to work to get better than we are.  In the meantime, we'll take the wins where we get them.  And play with the people on our team, rather than wishing someone else was on our team.  We do our best.  And our best is better than a lot of teams are doing right now.  Perspective.

1 hour ago, Myles said:

i prefer to try to win now.   In 2 years we are going to be facing salary cap hits, so some of those young players may not be on the team.  I think that if a GM believes his team can make the playoffs, that he should go for it now.  The Buckner trade was great.  The Rivers signing may or may not work out.  The Eason pick may or may not work out.  

I agree. I think a lot of the fans around here have been (and still are) spoiled by Manning and Luck and think it should be easy to just "move up in the draft and get one" or trade for one.

In reality however, acquiring a good quarterback is the hardest thing to do in all of sports. Like you said, Rivers or Eason may not work out. We may not be able to draft one next year nor may we be able to acquire one via trade or F/A.

One thing is for sure though, it would be a terrible waste if we walk out of these next 2-3 years with nothing to show for it because we couldn't get a good enough QB in time.

I also lol when I read here (or other boards I read) about 'just need a franchise qb and we're straight'....ummm with the exception of us and a few teams most teams search YEARS for that guy.

Unfortunately we're in that group now.

Not giving up on the season or anything, but Rivers is obviously a stop gap who we're hoping has a little toothpaste left at the bottom of the tube, so to speak.

The Browns offense is just legit good.  Their o-line with Conklin, Willis and Bitonio is ridiculous.  It is like they have three Nelsons to our one.  Throw in their skill players, and they are just going to toast people.  Our team is supposed to be a ground and pound team, and if that was working, Rivers and our wideouts would be fine.  I wonder if Nelson is healthy, and I question the push provided by Kelly and Glowinski.

Bottom line - Paris, Pittman, Mack, and Castonzo would have been Reaeeeaaalllly nice.  If we face a team with a weak O-line, I think our D can win us the games and that he offense can still do enough to win.  I do wish we could run the ball.  Taylor and Wilkins are both looking good, so that leaves scheme and lineman as the suspects.

2 minutes ago, Coltscrazy said:

The Browns offense is just legit good.  Their o-line with Conklin, Willis and Bitonio is ridiculous.  It is like they have three Nelsons to our one.  Throw in their skill players, and they are just going to toast people.  Our team is supposed to be a ground and pound team, and if that was working, Rivers and our wideouts would be fine.  I wonder if Nelson is healthy, and I question the push provided by Kelly and Glowinski.

Bottom line - Paris, Pittman, Mack, and Castonzo would have been Reaeeeaaalllly nice.  If we face a team with a weak O-line, I think our D can win us the games and that he offense can still do enough to win.  I do wish we could run the ball.  Taylor and Wilkins are both looking good, so that leaves scheme and lineman as the suspects.

Yep, some say "it is the Browns" but that may be the best offense we play all year.

7 hours ago, PrNum1 said:

Folks R-E-L-A-X !!!

We'll be 4-2 after next weekend.  And 5-2 after the first game out of the bye.

We lost A game, not the season.  Thats why there are 16 of them.

I still think we're a wild card team.

True, there are some things to correct, and we'll correct them.

5-2 coming right up !!!!

I hope you're right, and personally am relaxed but Im never comfortable counting a win b4 the game is played.  This week we're 0-1.

The overall picture is that only one team is going to truly going happy at the end of the season. I'm sorry to say it's not going to be Indy. The Colts are are middle of the pack team. Good enough to pad their stats against  lesser talented teams, but will be held in check against the best. There is lots of room for improvement throughout the roster. In the end, this may be a playoff team and then again they may not. It is what it is. There is no quick fix. Besides, there is 30+ other teams as well looking for players to help them improve. So its not just as easy as saying Ballard needs to go sign this guy.  It also depends though on what Ballard is willing to spend. Too. Also, I think NY, LA, Vegas, Miami, or Dallas may sound like a lot better of a place to play to most FA than to be in than Indianapolis too.

Archived