Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brady Restructures Deal Frees Up 7 Plus Million

Gavin

This was hopefully done to free up space to extend Welker, although that may be difficult or near impossible to do at this point because of what happened to the WR market this offseason, its quite pricey for a top tier WR, even tier 2 or 3 WRs now.

I also heard they want to extend Gronkowski and Hernandez early and not make the same mistakes they made with Welker etc

If you ask me, that team is building that a team that can win the SB right away. I think they realize that they don't have that many good years left in Brady, so they want to get to the SB and fast before his good years go away.

Have they signed any pass rushers yet? Because I know Mark Anderson signed with Buffalo, and Andre Carter still hasn't been signed. With a suspect secondary, I don't know why they didn't try to retain those guys. With an offense like they have, you need pass rushers to take pressure off the secondary.

Which they won't... unless they let them start filming the opposing teams again.

Could we please stop with that already? It's been how many years? At least they weren't trying to break peoples legs like some scumbags have been doing.

The Patriots are still on top, coming off a SB run and holding, yet again, a ton of awesome draft picks to build with. They out lasted the Colts franchise and showed who has the tighter ship, period. You don't see Brady being shipped off to Denver after a 2-14 season, do you?

It makes all Colts fans look silly and pithy to keep this spygate crap going. If their cheating was so effective how come they barely won by a last second FG during the game in question?

It makes all Colts fans look silly and pithy to keep this spygate crap going.

Yes, it certainly does. Especially when you consider that since "Spygate," there's a difference of maybe four plays between the Patriots winning two more Super Bowls and losing them. It'd be one thing if they dropped off the face of football, but how much sustained post-Spygate success will be necessary to finally put it to rest? Probably never will happen, actually. Bringing up Spygate is an emotional response, not a logical or intellectual one.

Thanks Ruk. You always tell it like it is, which I respect a lot.

Yes, it certainly does. Especially when you consider that since "Spygate," there's a difference of maybe four plays between the Patriots winning two more Super Bowls and losing them. It'd be one thing if they dropped off the face of football, but how much sustained post-Spygate success will be necessary to finally put it to rest? Probably never will happen, actually. Bringing up Spygate is an emotional response, not a logical or intellectual one.

Thanks Ruk. You always tell it like it is, which I respect a lot.

A couple of people seem to have their panties all in a bunch. Next time will refrain from making such comments without throwing a few emotes in for good measure. :slaphead:

A couple of people seem to have their panties all in a bunch. Next time will refrain from making such comments without throwing a few emotes in for good measure. :slaphead:

My panties are OK, but maybe my sarcasm detector is all frocked up.

Sorry, there's been a lot of talk over the video scandal since this bounty scandal broke. My bad.

MY panties are well orientated. Quite comfy actually. Emote or not, I really have heard enough cracks about the spygate. :luv: :ashamed: :flaming::( :brady: :number1::applause::neener: :yay:

Could we please stop with that already? It's been how many years? At least they weren't trying to break peoples legs like some scumbags have been doing.

The Patriots are still on top, coming off a SB run and holding, yet again, a ton of awesome draft picks to build with. They out lasted the Colts franchise and showed who has the tighter ship, period. You don't see Brady being shipped off to Denver after a 2-14 season, do you?

It makes all Colts fans look silly and pithy to keep this spygate crap going. If their cheating was so effective how come they barely won by a last second FG during the game in question?

Doesn't matter how long it's been. They cheated, and they haven't been able to win big games since that was taken away from them. As long as Belichick and Brady are together in New England, and as long as they aren't winning Super Bowls anymore, this will exist.

It's not just Colts fans.

The truth doesn't stop becoming the truth just because time goes by.

Doesn't matter how long it's been. They cheated, and they haven't been able to win big games since that was taken away from them. As long as Belichick and Brady are together in New England, and as long as they aren't winning Super Bowls anymore, this will exist.

Well I get it....it was wrong. Let's not pretend they've spiraled into irrelevance. Know what I mean?

No it isnt just colts fans, just fans that have an axe to grind . . .

regarding "big" games . . . have not the Pats been to more SBs since 2007 than any other team in the league and are tied with two other teams (Pitt/NYG) for SB appearances . . . or put another way the Pats have more conference championships than any other team in the NFL and are tied with two others (the aforementioned Pitt/NYG) with two conf championshps each . . . so slice your big games words any way you want doogie . . . just saying . . .

EDIT: And just for kicks have the only 16-0 season in the NFL history, and, you may correct me if I am wrong, but more wins than any other team in the NFL . . . just a few "minor" points u ponder on when pontificating about the pats performance after 2007 . . .

EDIT2: And just a few more points for you to digest . . . the two looses in the SB occurred when the defense could not stop the opponents offense on the opponents last drive of the game . . . and just for your information the signals which were filmed had to do with the opponents defense and not its offense . . . just saying . . . so unike SB 39, where the D stopped the final drive . . . it did not make the plays to do it in SB 42 and 46 . . . just some points if you ever really really want to have an full and in depth review of the matter and the Pats performance relative to the rest of the league since 2007 and its own pats since 2001 . .

The unselfishness of any player taking a pay cut to better the team is always alright in my book.

But I didn't actually say that about Tom Brady. That guy is the worst quarterback of all time and I will think that until the day he retires. He made me hurt too much too many times for me to actually say anything nice about him.

I heard they were approaching Ochocinco about restructuring but I am not sure if they di that or not. They wanted to keep him as a Patriot but they didn't want to pay him as much as they did last season.

Brady restructures deal freeing up 7 plus million, thoughts?

I love this, Brady's salary for the year is 950,000... That is insane.

I have always hated the patriots, but I realize it's probably jealousy. Their front office knows how to do it right, they seem to always make the best FA moves, they are always well set for the Draft. Their players are always willing to play multiple positions and take paycuts so they can afford to sign the pieces to make the team competitive.

Kudos to you NE Patriots. Your doing it right.

So by that logic, the Colts haven't won any "big games" since the Super Bowl year, right? Apparently divisional playoff games and AFC championships aren't that big of a deal?

And we also don't need to take into account that they lost two Super Bowls by a combined score of less than a TD and were maybe one crazy catch (Tyree) and one uncharacteristic drop (Welker) away from winning both of those?

You're such a hater, Doogan. And it's kind of a shame because other than your overwhelming bias against the Patriots, you actually know your football.

I love this, Brady's salary for the year is 950,000... That is insane.

I have always hated the patriots, but I realize it's probably jealousy. Their front office knows how to do it right, they seem to always make the best FA moves, they are always well set for the Draft. Their players are always willing to play multiple positions and take paycuts so they can afford to sign the pieces to make the team competitive.

Kudos to you NE Patriots. Your doing it right.

Brady didn't take a paycut. They converted a significant portion of his salary to a bonus. He actually gets paid the exact same amount, but he receives it all up front instead of over the course of the season. His salary for 2012 is now fully guaranteed. But by making it a bonus instead of a base salary, they can spread the cap hit out over multiple years.

It's a very smart move, but it's not really an act of charity by Tom Brady. He actually comes out better this way.

Brady didn't take a paycut. They converted a significant portion of his salary to a bonus. He actually gets paid the exact same amount, but he receives it all up front instead of over the course of the season. His salary for 2012 is now fully guaranteed. But by making it a bonus instead of a base salary, they can spread the cap hit out over multiple years.

It's a very smart move, but it's not really an act of charity by Tom Brady. He actually comes out better this way.

I know its never a pay cut per se (other than maybe less one year than another) but where do bonuses come from? They count against the cap? Or just cash come out of the owners pocket?

I never said he took a paycut this time. Although he has taken them in the past.for the longest time he was only making 5,000,000 per season.

I know its never a pay cut per se (other than maybe less one year than another) but where do bonuses come from? They count against the cap? Or just cash come out of the owners pocket?

Cash out of the owner's pocket. So Kraft wrote Brady a check for that amount, rather than 17 checks over the course of the season. If I understand correctly...

I never said he took a paycut this time. Although he has taken them in the past.for the longest time he was only making 5,000,000 per season.

He never signed "highest ever" contracts, when he probably could have. But his first real contract was four years, $30 million. His second contract was six years, $60 million. This contract is essentially five years, $78 million. It's not like he was playing for vet minimum. As a matter of fact, the biggest reason he has often been approached about restructuring his contract is because of how much he's often due. It's the biggest adjustment the team can make to save some money on the cap.

Anyways, the word around the street has been that "Tom Brady gives money back," when that's not at all what happened.

He never signed "highest ever" contracts, when he probably could have. But his first real contract was four years, $30 million. His second contract was six years, $60 million. This contract is essentially five years, $78 million. It's not like he was playing for vet minimum. As a matter of fact, the biggest reason he has often been approached about restructuring his contract is because of how much he's often due. It's the biggest adjustment the team can make to save some money on the cap.

Anyways, the word around the street has been that "Tom Brady gives money back," when that's not at all what happened.

i am not so sure about your last statement Supes . . . it is my understanding that they essentially reduced this year salary and bumped up the next two years salary . . . so yes if he is able to play his full contract (i.e. doesnt have his career ended for some reason, accident on or off the field) or gets cut or released . . . he will receive his full contract conpensation . .. but if for some reason he is unable to collect on his 2013 and 2014 compensation (and thus the moved forward 2012 salary), he will lose that 2012 salary that was pushed forward to 2013 and 2014 . . . so to that extent he is "giving" money back . . .

it is really no different if our bosses came to us and said, we got budget problems, will you take a 40% pay cut (and thus give us that money back this year) and we will increase your salary by 20% in each of the next two years . . . which is find and dandy if you last to December 2014, but if at this years Christmas party your boss tells you that you are fire/laid off, you just gave back 40% of one years salary and you will not be there in 2013 and 2014 to collect that money you gave back to the company in the present year . . .

fortunately for Brady his wife works so they have two incomes . . . but he is given back something . . . if this was easy, then a lot more players would be doing it . . . he wont starve but he is doing someting that a not a lot of the other multimillion dollar players do . . . surely one can see why some players would not as, given above reference real life example, players will be given back this years salary and will have to wait and work next year to receive the salary they should have earned this year . . . .