Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brady Restructures Deal Frees Up 7 Plus Million

Gavin

i am not so sure about your last statement Supes . . . it is my understanding that they essentially reduced this year salary and bumped up the next two years salary . . . so yes if he is able to play his full contract (i.e. doesnt have his career ended for some reason, accident on or off the field) or gets cut or released . . . he will receive his full contract conpensation . .. but if for some reason he is unable to collect on his 2013 and 2014 compensation (and thus the moved forward 2012 salary), he will lose that 2012 salary that was pushed forward to 2013 and 2014 . . . so to that extent he is "giving" money back . . .

it is really no different if our bosses came to us and said, we got budget problems, will you take a 40% pay cut (and thus give us that money back this year) and we will increase your salary by 20% in each of the next two years . . . which is find and dandy if you last to December 2014, but if at this years Christmas party your boss tells you that you are fire/laid off, you just gave back 40% of one years salary and you will not be there in 2013 and 2014 to collect that money you gave back to the company in the present year . . .

fortunately for Brady his wife works so they have two incomes . . . but he is given back something . . . if this was easy, then a lot more players would be doing it . . . he wont starve but he is doing someting that a not a lot of the other multimillion dollar players do . . . surely one can see why some players would not as, given above reference real life example, players will be given back this years salary and will have to wait and work next year to receive the salary they should have earned this year . . . .

Nope.

It's just cap magic. His base salary was reduced from $5.75m to $950k. He was also due a $6 million roster bonus, which they combined with the $4.8m taken from his base salary, and turned it into a $10.8m signing bonus that Brady received in full as one lump payment. He was due $11.75m this season, and that's exactly what he's getting. The only difference is that most of the money is paid upfront and is fully guaranteed, rather than over the course of the season as a non-guaranteed salary.

How this helps the Patriots right now is that it allows them to spread that $10.8m signing bonus out evenly over the remaining three years of the contract, for cap purposes. So now, that $4.8m salary and $6m roster bonus that would have hit the cap all this year only hit for $3.6m this year. Which is why the Patriots save $7.2m against their cap in 2012.

If the Patriots cut Tom Brady tomorrow, he just got paid more for 2012 than he would have had he not agreed to restructure. No roster bonus, significantly reduced base salary, but a sizable bonus upfront of $10.8m, just for signing a piece of paper. Same money, just paid differently. So, no, he didn't give anything back, nor did he put himself at risk in the future.

Nope.

It's just cap magic. His base salary was reduced from $5.75m to $950k. He was also due a $6 million roster bonus, which they combined with the $4.8m taken from his base salary, and turned it into a $10.8m signing bonus that Brady received in full as one lump payment. He was due $11.75m this season, and that's exactly what he's getting. The only difference is that most of the money is paid upfront and is fully guaranteed, rather than over the course of the season as a non-guaranteed salary.

How this helps the Patriots right now is that it allows them to spread that $10.8m signing bonus out evenly over the remaining three years of the contract, for cap purposes. So now, that $4.8m salary and $6m roster bonus that would have hit the cap all this year only hit for $3.6m this year. Which is why the Patriots save $7.2m against their cap in 2012.

If the Patriots cut Tom Brady tomorrow, he just got paid more for 2012 than he would have had he not agreed to restructure. No roster bonus, significantly reduced base salary, but a sizable bonus upfront of $10.8m, just for signing a piece of paper. Same money, just paid differently. So, no, he didn't give anything back, nor did he put himself at risk in the future.

You got it right, this was in no way a paycut and don't let people try to make you believe it is either. Its great that he was willing to rework his deal, but that is what is expected from QBs and team leaders that carry hefty contracts. Its funny though, I remember Manning doing the same thing a few times and Colts fans were ecstatic about how hes a generous and unselfish player by taking a paycut for the good of the team, but he didnt take a paycut at all, he did the same thing Brady just did with his restructure. He got all the money upfront and guaranteed, allowing the cap hit to be divided up by the remaining years on the contract. Its a win for him and a win for the team.

You got it right, this was in no way a paycut and don't let people try to make you believe it is either. Its great that he was willing to rework his deal, but that is what is expected from QBs and team leaders that carry hefty contracts. Its funny though, I remember Manning doing the same thing a few times and Colts fans were ecstatic about how hes a generous and unselfish player by taking a paycut for the good of the team, but he didnt take a paycut at all, he did the same thing Brady just did with his restructure. He got all the money upfront and guaranteed, allowing the cap hit to be divided up by the remaining years on the contract. Its a win for him and a win for the team.

Nothing against Brady. I know I'm a Colts fan, and I do root against him, but I'm not concerned with whether he gave money back or not. Nor was I heralding Manning as a hero when he did it.

But the headlines and the hubbub were all about Brady's humanitarianism, and how he gave money back to the Patriots. I only chimed in because this was being classified as an act of charity, when it's not.

It's great that he's willing to rework his deal to give the team cap space, but if your boss called you and said "we'll pay you your entire 2012 salary right now so that we can free up accounting dollars throughout the year," I'm pretty sure you'd jump at that as well. There's zero incentive for any player NOT to do this.

I dont see how spygate and the colts woes are related at all. Go visit other team forums spygate is still brought up in those as well. Videotaping an opponents superbowl practices is not something you just sweep under the rug and forget about. It wasnt a one time thing either the NFL found a pattern of cheating that the Pats were using to their advantage.

But again, Manning going to the Broncos and the Pats videotaping opponents are not related in the slightest.

manning got sent to the broncos and brady just played in a superbowl so youre being jealous by a mentioning spygate

I dont see how spygate and the colts woes are related at all. Go visit other team forums spygate is still brought up in those as well. Videotaping an opponents superbowl practices is not something you just sweep under the rug and forget about. It wasnt a one time thing either the NFL found a pattern of cheating that the Pats were using to their advantage. Considering the punishment tne NFL put on the Pats it would be extremely foolish to think it isnt a big deal and should just be forgot about.

But again, Manning going to the Broncos and the Pats videotaping opponents are not related in the slightest.