Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign CB X. Rhodes

MPStack

1 minute ago, wordofmouth said:

Thanks for the info Vikesfan !  That sounds pretty spot on. I remember a couple of years ago going on a tirade to my brother about how we could have had him and drafted Warner instead.   I think if he can healthy he will be an upgrade. Interesting what you  said about  his weight, I wonder if they will be on him about that.   

Will see you in the Super Bowl :)

Super Bowl? We don't have a starting CB yet. Vikings miss the playoffs this season.

The good news is that it is fat weight. Like he is out of shape etc. It is muscle weight. He is a gym rat and it shows but he needs to reduce

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Pro Bowl nods don't real mean anything anymore, so I wouldn't really use that as a basis of how well a player is playing.

As for Rhodes, this is just a 1 year deal.  If he comes in and is awful, we don't re-sign him next year and we move on.  At the very least, he's a veteran with plenty of success, so he can mentor guys like Rock Ya-Sin and Marvell Tell.

Yes, he was awful last year.  But he'll be 30 when the season starts, so still plenty of football left in him and plenty of opportunity for him to regain form

Exactly what I was thinking

We also have to remember: It's like we traded Desir for Rhodes. So hopefully he can perform at a decently high level because Desir is gone, and we won't have him to lean on if Rhodes struggles. We could draft a CB to groom for a year though, and I predict it will happen in rounds 2-3.

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

We also have to remember: It's like we traded Desir for Rhodes. So hopefully he can perform at a decently high level because Desir is gone, and we won't have him to lean on if Rhodes struggles. We could draft a CB to groom for a year though, and I predict it will happen in rounds 2-3.

It wasn’t like Desir had a record setting year

BTW 

I agree

1 hour ago, Shive said:

He was a favorite of mine in the 2013 draft and I know he's had a couple of down years, but hopefully we can get him back in form.

7 years later and he's finally in Colts blue (definitely not still salty about Werner over Rhodes....definitely.....)

Yeah, I remember wanting either Rhoades or DeAndre Hopkins that year. Both turned out well. 

40 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Lets just say a motivated and healthy Xavier Rhodes is of the same quality and school as Jalen Ramsey. Can play Man to Man and good tackler. FSU alum and was highly touted coming into the draft. Had a injury lately from last I heard but a Pro Bowl level CB. Something the Colts hasn't had since like Vontae Davis.

I'm familiar with his college career and 16 and 17 seasons. 16 was his peak, and has dropped off since. If it's motivation that's needed, that concerns me as much as health to be honest. I'm glad we picked him up, just hope it was team friendly. We had a hole, and I'm glad we filled it pre-draft. 

3 minutes ago, egg said:

Judging by last year's stats and video, his arms need to be 10' long.

Any Corner can be made to look bad by stringing together their bad reps in 16 games. One of the "gaffs" was clearly a miscommunication as he thought he had help over the top. Author claimed he got smoked. It's silly when you see him clearly playing the underneath passing lanes. 

4 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

IMO a Clooney signing at this point would just hinder the development of the youngsters

Probably, since we have Houston this year as well and he's starting. We may draft another pass rusher as well. Never hurts to have a lot of them and Houston is leaving next year.

This is the best news so far. Sure he fell off a little, but nagging injuries will do that. He's healthy and his pride is hurt. From being a top 3-5 corner in the NFL to being released. I think he's going to BALL this year, the fact it's his money year adds to it..

1 minute ago, ColtJax said:

This is the best news so far. Sure he fell off a little, but nagging injuries will do that. He's healthy and his pride is hurt. From being a top 3-5 corner in the NFL to being released. I think he's going to BALL this year, the fact it's his money year adds to it..

Yeah, he's fighting for one final, big contract. We are beneficial to each other. We're using him to make our team better, and he's using us to get one final payday.

I think this signing could entice Clowney a little more?

Clowney and Demarcus Robinson then the draft. Lets get it.

Will be fine if no Clowney, bit think we should bring Sheard back for $8-$10 on a 1yr deal.

@VikingsFanInChennai

Please share your thoughts on Rhodes. 

Xavier Rhodes is finally a Colt. He was supposed to be drafted by the Colts. Colts fans always liked Rhodes.

I hated losing Rhodes, but he seemed to regress last season and was beat on a lot of plays. I hope he plays well for the Colts, as he remains one of my favorite players. Can the Colts take Kirk Cousins too??

5 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

@VikingsFanInChennai

Please share your thoughts on Rhodes. 

Xavier Rhodes is finally a Colt. He was supposed to be drafted by the Colts. Colts fans always liked Rhodes.

I hated losing Rhodes, but he seemed to regress last season and was beat on a lot of plays. I hope he plays well for the Colts, as he remains one of my favorite players. Can the Colts take Kirk Cousins too??

We'll trade you Brissett for Cousins? That work?

2 hours ago, runthepost said:

:tvsmash: He was pure trash last year

He had a down year...that's for sure.  He is also a 3 time All-Pro corner I believe so worth taking a one year flyer on to see if he can recapture his old form.  I'm just happy we added another corner.  Still sorry to see Desir go.   

12 minutes ago, w87r said:

I think this signing could entice Clowney a little more?

Clowney and Demarcus Robinson then the draft. Lets get it.

Will be fine if no Clowney, bit think we should bring Sheard back for $8-$10 on a 1yr deal.

He can be replaced 8-10 million would be too much.

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

It seems we are going to go all in on offense in the draft. Some upgraded weapons and some olinemen. With the signing of Day and Rhodes it fills the voids and we may just not go defense at all in the draft. 

Yup. In my mock I had us picking up a TE and WR in rounds 2-3. Id still draft a corner though. Rhodes has had some injury issues here lately.

Archived