Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign CB X. Rhodes

5 minutes ago, WifiGuy said:

I think it means more man in the secondary.  Thoughts?

It gives us the option I think, situational blitzing and being able to man up more.

I actually just think he will be fine switching over to more zone, but I think it gives us more flexibility.

Hopefully he comes in healthy with a chip on his shoulder.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sometimes all a player needs is a change of scenery. Hope it works out.

I was reading a lot of your guys post on Rhodes. I was hoping I could shed some light on his play the last 2 seasons. The Vikes run a very complicated Double A scheme. In 2017 it was super effective w

He should have been a Colt all along...   I don't know how well he fits the defense, or why he fell off last year. I'll have to dig into what the Vikings were doing with him. 

26 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Call it the teacher in me 

Would you want a fan of another team bad mouth your feelings on a Colts player

Wait...he comes to our board and we have to agree with him? Uh no. If he doesn’t like our opinion tough. He can go back to his Vikings board and cry about his top 10 qb. And nobody has been insulting or disrespectful one bit. I don’t go to other people’s boards to argue about how crappy Jacoby played last year when someone defends him. People have brought up stats and reasons to support their arguements...isn’t that what we ask people to do...back up your opinion with facts and give an honest take. Nobody is asking him to change his mind but to ignore the fact that their defense has clearly fallen off...the play calling on offense is different under a new OC and Zimmers game planning has become stale. Like him or not Cousins is one of the best qbs in the league..and they should worry about what is falling apart around him then what he isn’t doing for them. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Wait...he comes to our board and we have to agree with him? Uh no. If he doesn’t like our opinion tough. He can go back to his Vikings board and cry about his top 10 qb. And nobody has been insulting or disrespectful one bit. I don’t go to other people’s boards to argue about how crappy Jacoby played last year when someone defends him. People have brought up stats and reasons to support their arguements...isn’t that what we ask people to do...back up your opinion with facts and give an honest take. Nobody is asking him to change his mind but to ignore the fact that their defense has clearly fallen off...the play calling on offense is different under a new OC and Zimmers game planning has become stale. Like him or not Cousins is one of the best qbs in the league..and they should worry about what is falling apart around him then what he isn’t doing for them. 

Han Solo Ok GIF

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
2 minutes ago, w87r said:

Then I have the right to tell them their player doesn't suck.

Have to explain the rules to me better teach.

I can't tell a team their player is good, while their bashing said player, in the Colts forum?

I am only concerned about Colts and Chiefs so the only way I concern myself about players of the other 30 teams are if they are Indiana or Local Kids or went to local colleges

5 minutes ago, w87r said:

It gives us the option I think, situational blitzing and being able to man up more.

I actually just think he will be fine switching over to more zone, but I think it gives us more flexibility.

Hopefully he comes in healthy with a chip on his shoulder.

I think our staff will put him in position to be successful. Keep him away from bad matchups. Hopefully this will mean fewer missed tackles. He has always been good in run support. I like that.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I had no problem with talking to the poster but the attacks on his fandom wasthe problem

2 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I had no problem with talking to the poster but the attacks on his fandom wasthe problem

I saw nothing out of line. Just people disagreeing with his position. I’m not even a Cousins fan either. Definitely think he is overpaid but so are a ton of qbs right now. That said to come to a teams board who suffered through one of the most frustrating seasons ever and quite literally going from championship contenders with a great qb to a less then mediocre team suffering through some painful qb play this year and then to complain about your pro bowl qb is insensitive on his part if anything...but it’s alright. I’ll leave this thread to the Vikings fans...of course their opinions can’t be questioned on a Colt fan board.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I saw nothing out of line. Just people disagreeing with his position. I’m not even a Cousins fan either. Definitely think he is overpaid but so are a ton of qbs right now. That said to come to a teams board who suffered through one of the most frustrating seasons ever and quite literally going from championship contenders with a great qb to a less then mediocre team suffering through some painful qb play this year and then to complain about your pro bowl qb is insensitive on his part if anything...but it’s alright. I’ll leave this thread to the Vikings fans...of course their opinions can’t be questioned on a Colt fan board.

He was explaining that the KC contract is one reason that Rhodes was available 

They were asked questions about play 

Any person can get frustrated when you see your favorite players leave because one player is getting paid a huge contract and not produce what was promised 

One reason I still get sick when I hear Bill Polian 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

He was explaining that the KC contract is one reason that Rhodes was available 

They were asked questions about play 

Any person can get frustrated when you see your favorite players leave because one player is getting paid a huge contract and not produce what was promised 

One reason I still get sick when I hear Bill Polian 

Bringing this full circle to Rhodes...he is available because of his play last couple years and especially late last year. My hope though is we use him differently.

1 hour ago, w87r said:

I don't feel sorry for them.

TBH, it sounds like their whining as much as Diggs and Theilen.

What is it to you? Cousins does not play for your team. Why do you care what Vikings fans think of him? Serious question. I could not care less what you think of JB or any other player on your team.

Btw, it sounds like stats are all that matters to you. I guess in 2015, you wished you had Blake Bortles as your QB. He threw for over 4,400 yards and 35 TDs. Guess what? He was a big loser in 2015.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend. :highfive2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Bringing this full circle to Rhodes...he is available because of his play last couple years and especially late last year. My hope though is we use him differently.

I agree about his play 

There was a rumor Zimmer wanted him back

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I agree about his play 

There was a rumor Zimmer wanted him back

Yes, Zimmer wanted Rhodes back. He defended Rhodes many times. It was not only his play that forced the Vikes to cut him. It was mostly because his salary was too high and the Vikings needed to make salary cap space.

Thanks for your understanding, PT. It was I who originally mentioned Cousins. I know not to bring it up again. I did not realize that criticizing the QB of my team would have brought out the wrath of Colts fans. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
30 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

What is it to you? Cousins does not play for your team. Why do you care what Vikings fans think of him? Serious question. I could not care less what you thought of JB or any other player on your team.

Btw, it sounds like stats are all that matters to you. I guess in 2015, you wished you had Blake Bortles as your QB. He threw for over 4,400 yards and 35 TDs. Guess what? He was a big loser in 2015.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend. :highfive2:

Not going to rehash this. I actually agree with most of the post I see from you.

So my final words on this is as followed.

I don't want Cousins on the Colts, I'm not even a fan of Cousins.

I do not care about stats only, I completely understand the ins and out of football.

Cousins has done a pretty well as it pertains to his job. 

If you are mad that they dont run the ball as much as they did in 2017, talk to the coaches. I'm sure they would throw less if they didn't have 2 diva wrs complaining evey week? 

Their defense has clearly stepped backwards. No denying that.

So at the end of the day the Vikings have 1 of the top statistical QB's in the league.

+40 TD/int rate

+32 TD/ int+fmbl lost

103 QB rating over 2 years

It's easy to blame Cousins, but in actuality I would think you guys would be excited about having a good QB and figure out what the real problem is. Vikings are close, well they were. Haven't followed much of this offseason for them.

His cap figure isn't it either.

Colts are playing JB top 10 qb money to set on the bench, but I fully expect to compete this year, despite that.

Guess I am going to rehash it. Lol

Also, Cousins has been a pretty good QB for awhile. Bortles 1 year sample doesn't have any comparison. He always killed the Colts though, so glad hes gone.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, w87r said:

Not going to rehash this. I actually agree with most of the post I see from you.

So my final words on this is as followed.

I don't want Cousins on the Colts, I'm not even a fan of Cousins.

I do not care about stats only, I completely understand the ins and out of football.

Cousins has done a pretty well as it pertains to his job. 

If you are mad that they dont run the ball as much as they did in 2017, talk to the coaches. I'm sure they would throw less if they didn't have 2 diva wrs complaining evey week? 

Their defense has clearly stepped backwards. No denying that.

So at the end of the day the Vikings have 1 of the top statistical and in the league.

+40 TD/int rate

+32 TD/ int+fmbl

103 QB rating over 2 years

It's easy to blame Cousins, but in actuality I would think you guys would be excited about having a good QB and figure out what the real problem is. Vikings are close, well they were. Haven't followed much of this offseason for them.

His cap figure isn't it either.

Colts are playing JB top 10 qb money to set on the bench, but I fully expect to compete this year, despite that.

Guess I am going to rehash it. Lol

I think the colts want to wait til after the draft to make a decision about Brissett because they can still cut him on June 1st and save some money

• Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I think the colts want to wait til after the draft to make a decision about Brissett because they can still cut him on June 1st and save some money

yeah all options are on the table with JB, except release imo. The only way I see a release is if we are bringing Clowney in. Then I suppose we can June 1st cut and that would essentially cover Clowney for this year. Wouldn't like that dead cap next year, but with rollover I gueas ita all the same.

It was more just an example of not being able to use Cousins contract as an excuse. At the moment the Colts literally have $47+m at QB. (Rivers, JB, Kelly), and I fully expect to compete this year.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I did not realize that criticizing the QB of my team would have brought out the wrath of Colts fans. 

tbh, I think we were having a good conversation about it, until PT came in over reacting about everything.

Calling in mods and apologizing for us on behalf of all Colts fans?

Posting christmas lights saying Bye Bye?

I guess so?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, w87r said:

Probably forgot more football then you'll ever know.

Thanks though.

Keep bi#*!g about your qb who has a +40 TD/int rate. I'm sure that's the problem....

Might as well close the thread, you've really shown us all again....

1 hour ago, w87r said:

He lost me with his christmas lights saying Bye Bye. 

Dont know what there is to hear out about that?

Hard to slam others for content quality when you consistently misuse words like would, of, and their.

3 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Might as well close the thread, you've really shown us all again....

Nice.

So a thread(Ebron) that should of just been posted in a similar topic, which had already been talked about for days gets closed. Which I didn't "show"anything in that thread, other than my post, really just clowning about merging, then closing it. Didn't really care, but someone(maybe you) got all sensitive about it.

How does that correlate with this thread where I did "show" plenty, and didn't ask for it to get closed down?

4 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Hard to slam others for content quality when you consistently misuse words like would, of, and their.

Good one.

4 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

No he didn't play at Mahomes or Jackson level.

Saying MVP level for Cousins is a serious insult at these two young QBs, let's not repeat that. Cousins played in the same level as Tannehill. Tannehill had same TD: INT ratio and similar passing yards per game in 10 games he played, with more rushing TDs than Cousins. Tannehill was also a "MVP candidate" in theory, but really they both weren't. 

There were Only two exceptional QB performances from Patrick Mahomes and Lamar Jackson. (Then there was Derrick Henry among other positions). 

Then there was quite a drop-off to other QBs. There were only 2 MVP candidates last year, and one became MVP candidate level in post season by winning the Super Bowl after MVP award was given to the regular season MVP. 

Let's not insult what Lamar Jackson did last year. That was league haunting stuff. That's called MVP. Or how Mahomes came back from injury and won SB.

just cause pat and lamar had unheard of seasons doesn't make what Kirk did useless lol

I have Kirk on the Above Average level. His stats and wins last season would say he is actually on the Good level. I don't think he is Very Good or Great but if someone were to tell me he is Good I can buy that. He is definitely better than Average and if I had to choose between him and Tannehill, I would take Kirk.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

just cause pat and lamar had unheard of seasons doesn't make what Kirk did useless lol

Mahomes is the best QB in the league and Lamar was the MVP. No other teams right now have what the Chiefs or Ravens have with the exception of maybe GB with Rodgers. We had it with Luck. Of course Kirk isn't as good as those guys.

• Haha 1
11 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Yes, Zimmer wanted Rhodes back. He defended Rhodes many times. It was not only his play that forced the Vikes to cut him. It was mostly because his salary was too high and the Vikings needed to make salary cap space.

Thanks for your understanding, PT. It was I who originally mentioned Cousins. I know not to bring it up again. I did not realize that criticizing the QB of my team would have brought out the wrath of Colts fans. 

Hi there, I have a question for you as obviously an unbiased Colts fan. What are your opinions on Rhodes joining the Colts.

And lastly just to make it clear, what are your opinions on Rivers and Cousins? I want to see something...

26 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Hi there, I have a question for you as obviously an unbiased Colts fan. What are your opinions on Rhodes joining the Colts.

And lastly just to make it clear, what are your opinions on Rivers and Cousins? I want to see something...

I love Rivers, always have...since his days at NC State. I thought he was better than Eli and Ben in that draft, with Ben a close second. I think he is a nice pick up for the Colts.

I was not down on Rhodes as other Vikes fans were. I believe if we had more cap space and his cap number was not so high, Zimmer and our GM would have kept him. I hope he has a good season with the Colts. I think if your pass rush is improved, it will also improve your secondary. 

Good luck this year.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
13 hours ago, NFLfan said:

When I say it was his play it was his play in regards to his salary cap hit that got him cut. If he was high performing they would have found a way to keep him...ie extend him or move on from another player instead. 

On 3/27/2020 at 6:08 PM, NFLfan said:

What more of a surrounding cast does he need? He had one of the best receiving duos. He had a pretty good running game. The OL looks bad because he does nothing to evade pressure. Check out how well Case Keenum did in 2017. And he did not have Dalvin Cook. He had Latavius Murray most of the year. 

There are so many excuses made for why Cousins does not win more. On the Daily Norseman, the fans call it Kirkumstances. Right, @VikingsFanInChennai?

Thats funny! I personally like Cousins, good not great. He needs a better OL i think with the Vikings.

Like the Rhodes signing. Brought in a vet which was needed, a guy with big talent, although slipped last year. Comes to a team with coaches who know his strengths and weakness's, know how to use him, & will know early if there is anything left. 1 year deal reasonably cheep, I like betting on guys with talent with something to prove!

Mike Wells ESPN Staff Writer 

New Colts CB Xavier Rhodes, who mentioned having a fresh start in Indy several times, said his familiarity with assistant coaches Jonathan Gannon and Alan Williams played a significant part in why chose the Colts. Gannon and Williams were on the defensive coaching staff in Minnesota with Rhodes.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 3/31/2020 at 4:32 PM, krunk said:

Hoping my guy can get back to it!

Yeah, me too. I guess I hadn't realized how far he'd dropped. Apparently he was ranked as the NFL's No. 113 cornerback by PFF in 2019. He'd better hop to it! Here's to hoping!!

8 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

Yeah, me too. I guess I hadn't realized how far he'd dropped. Apparently he was ranked as the NFL's No. 113 cornerback by PFF in 2019. He'd better hop to it! Here's to hoping!!

I think Rhodes was brought in to teach and mentor the other 9 corner backs on the team. That's right, we have 10 CBs on the roster right now.

Travis Reed - R

Isaiah Rogers - R

Picasso Nelson - 1

Jackson Porter - 1

Marvin Tell - 2

Rock Ya-Sin - 2

Lafayette Pitts - 3

Kenny Moore -4

TJ Carrie - 7

Xavier Rhodes - 8