Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign CB X. Rhodes

MPStack

2 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Apparently Rhodes also had an offer to return to the Vikes but chose the Colts instead.

http://www.indianasportscoverage.com/xavier-rhodes-had-offer-to-return-to-vikings-chose-to-sign-with-colts/

It looks like the only reason he was cut was for cap purposes.  With all of the talk about him having a very poor year they still wanted him back.  Sure it would be at a lower number but the fact they wanted him back says a lot.  The fact he signed with the Colts says a lot too. 

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, MacDee1975 said:

Weren’t  some of you personnel geniuses on here the same ones who told me how bad Patrick Robinson sucked several years ago?

I think I’ll take a hard pass on what some of you on here are saying about Rhodes.

It's 5 mil for one year. What harm does it do

4 hours ago, vikesfan said:

I was reading a lot of your guys post on Rhodes. I was hoping I could shed some light on his play the last 2 seasons. The Vikes run a very complicated Double A scheme. In 2017 it was super effective when paired with a lot of blitzes and **Press Man**. In 2018, more teams started running the double A due to our success (it is a copycat league after all). As a result, many offenses were prepared for the double a scheme and we saw a lot of schematic counters to the defense. What Zimmer then did to counter this was to blitz less, send more corner blitzes instead of sending our Lbs and switch our CBs to a weird fusion of off man and cover 3. Both corners are press corners. They excel by putting immediate hands on a WR and then running with them. Rhodes, unfortunately, has been banged up and has continue to add one muscle to his already large frame. He looks almost like a strong safety at this point. He is too big and off man already was a weakness of his. His previous injuries have robbed him of some foot quickness and change of direction ability. When paired with being heavier, it is a recipe for disaster. He really needs to get lighter and leaner. Not sure if he added on the pounds to be more stout in run support but it has been detrimental to his ability to shadow.

The good news is, not all is lost. He is still one of the best press corners in the league, when allowed to press. If you DC puts him in a press role, he will improve and if he decides to shed all of that excess weight, he will return close to his old form. These are all big ifs though. If your scheme is off man or a lot of cover 3's/clouds, it is going to be Roads Open.  

Thanks for the great input. I really liked Rhodes early in his career. Hopefully the colts can use him correctly and he can regain his form. I also noticed when I watched him play lately that he looked bigger than his younger years.

23 minutes ago, MacDee1975 said:

Weren’t  some of you personnel geniuses on here the same ones who told me how bad Patrick Robinson sucked several years ago?

I think I’ll take a hard pass on what some of you on here are saying about Rhodes.

He did suck when he was a Colt.  Many of those comments were made before we acquired him.  Gavin was one of the main ones who hated him.

3 hours ago, NFLfan said:

@VikingsFanInChennai

Please share your thoughts on Rhodes. 

Xavier Rhodes is finally a Colt. He was supposed to be drafted by the Colts. Colts fans always liked Rhodes.

I hated losing Rhodes, but he seemed to regress last season and was beat on a lot of plays. I hope he plays well for the Colts, as he remains one of my favorite players. Can the Colts take Kirk Cousins too??

please I'd give up rivers and JB

20 minutes ago, krunk said:

They are banking on him bouncing back in this scheme.  I'm thinking we'll play more 2 deep coverages with this improved DL.  2 deep zone and man coverages which will help Rhodes out a bit more.

We have hedged a few bets on Rivers coming off a bad season and Rhodes coming off two. Of the two, the QB position is far more important for the risk to work out. Rivers’ history with Reich and Sirianni for 3 years plus our OL is what I’m hoping for the odds to work out based on.

Rhodes, is also a 1 year deal but definitely less damaging compared to Rivers’ signing backfiring. That’s how I’m looking at it. Got to get the Rivers signing right.

7 minutes ago, chad72 said:

We have hedged a few bets on Rivers coming off a bad season and Rhodes coming off two. Of the two, the QB position is far more important for the risk to work out. Rivers’ history with Reich and Sirianni for 3 years plus our OL is what I’m hoping for the odds to work out based on.

Rhodes, is also a 1 year deal but definitely less damaging compared to Rivers’ signing backfiring. That’s how I’m looking at it. Got to get the Rivers signing right.

Not too worried about Rivers bouncing back as long as we don't end up with a similar situation to what the Chargers had last year with the slew of injuries, bad OL, and no RB.  Those things I think influenced him into playing hero ball and putting too much on his shoulders.  He usually bounces back.

37 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

please I'd give up rivers and JB

I know you would. What do you like about Cousins so much besides that he was a Spartan?

I think if Cousins was a Colt, he would leave you guys frustrated. He puts up big numbers but he rarely steps up when necessary. 

You don't like Rivers? Rivers had a Cousins-like year last year -- big numbers but not enough wins. But Rivers is a competitor and he plays to win (though last year, he failed).

5 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I know you would. What do you like about Cousins so much besides that he was a Spartan?

I think if Cousins was a Colt, he would leave you guys frustrated. He puts up big numbers but he rarely steps up when necessary. 

You don't like Rivers? Rivers had a Cousins-like year last year -- big numbers but not enough wins. But Rivers is a competitor and he plays to win (though last year, he failed).

It's Rivers age that has people concerned. Understandable but the one's doubting him keep ignoring he had a crummy line last year. Here he will have time to throw. Regarding Cousins on a scale of Bad, Below Average, Average, Above Average, Good, Very Good, Great - he is a solid Above Average. Be glad you do not have a QB that sucks. 

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Be glad you do not have a QB that sucks. 

What good is it if we are not going to win? The goal is to win. The guy seems scared when he has to step up and do what is necessary to win. 

Let's agree to disagree. (It is a Colts thread. I should not have mentioned Cousins. :sorry:)

6 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

What good is it if we are not going to win? The goal is to win. The guy seems scared when he has to step up and do what is necessary to win. 

Let's agree to disagree. (It is a Colts thread. I should not have mentioned Cousins. :sorry:)

He beat the Saints last year in the playoffs, you guys are fine with him. You need WR's like us. Agree to disagree is fine :thmup:

2 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Whatever it is, it’s shifting away from the vanilla cover-2 we were running that always got shredded. And that’s a good thing. More man is better.

In the KC game we played a lot of MAN, not sure why we didn't do it more. People were even posting about it the next day how good our D looked playing that way.

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

kirk has always been a good QB he gets so much crap its unreal your line is trash and if he could ever play behind a line worthwhile he would continously be an MVP candidate he was this past year so I will never understand the hate by most people its laughable honestly 

This guy's sucks I mean we were not good against the pass and now we signed a guys who dead last in pass defense any wr lined up in him has a 83 percent chance of the pass being caught. He is making grigison moves right now and if we don't make the playoffs I can see him being fired along with the head coach.

7 minutes ago, Freenyfan102 said:

This guy's sucks I mean we were not good against the pass and now we signed a guys who dead last in pass defense any wr lined up in him has a 83 percent chance of the pass being caught. He is making grigison moves right now and if we don't make the playoffs I can see him being fired along with the head coach.

You are classic. 

19 minutes ago, Freenyfan102 said:

You are a very delusional person. 

You seriously need some help. 

I don't see how people can see the "multiple groin and hamstring injuries" that he suffered last year and not equate that as a large part of why he struggled last year.  I don't think anybody gives up an 80 percent catch rate without being injured.  In their minds the Colts are thinking he can at least give us Pierre Desir type play, but he's got a much higher ceiling if he is healthy.

7 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

kirk has always been a good QB he gets so much crap its unreal your line is trash and if he could ever play behind a line worthwhile he would continously be an MVP candidate he was this past year so I will never understand the hate by most people its laughable honestly 

. , . , .

12 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

How can you be terrible and get a pro bowl nod?

The same way a guy can play at an elite level and not get a Pro Bowl nod, like Darius Leonard in 2018.  The Pro Bowl is more just a popularity contest based on name recognition.  I like to use All Pro nods as the more reliable indicator of a guy's play.  Aaron Rodgers made the Pro Bowl last year even though his numbers were nothing special (barely hit 4000 yards, didn't hit 30 TDs).

Just now, 21isSuperman said:

The same way a guy can play at an elite level and not get a Pro Bowl nod, like Darius Leonard in 2018.  The Pro Bowl is more just a popularity contest based on name recognition.  I like to use All Pro nods as the more reliable indicator of a guy's play.  Aaron Rodgers made the Pro Bowl last year even though his numbers were nothing special (barely hit 4000 yards, didn't hit 30 TDs).

I never watch any all-star game because I think the voting process is a joke

I like the signing

A press CB with size is JUST what the doctor ordered........

I LOVE the fact that they are filling in the major holes with FAs BEFORE the draft......

I hope we also get a FA WR......

THEN..... when we draft we can do the BPA approach, and not count on a rookie being the prime contributor at any position

If a DL, OL, DB, WR, TE, QB,  is BPA........  YOU TAKE THEM

I like the approach......

Archived