Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign CB X. Rhodes

MPStack

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, jameszeigler834 said:

He wasn't beat as badly as Desir most of the time.

Desir was 10pts hire on PFF, and a lot better catch/target ratio.

I was just reading an article on ESPN.

A series of hamstring, foot and groin injuries in 2018 led to a decrease in Rhodes' efficiency. Ahead of the 2019 season, coach Mike Zimmer said the cornerback needed to "play up to that contract" but dismissed the notion that Rhodes had lost athletic ability.

Rhodes' struggles poured over into last season where he was flagged for 10 penalties, allowed a 127.8 passer rating into his coverage (fourth worst among all corners) and an 82% opponent completion percentage, per NFL Next Gen Stats (the second highest in the NFL among corners), and did not register an interception for the first time since 2013.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

can probably give us better idea about how he was used and what happened with him the last year or so ? Whenever I watched Vikings games he didn't look good, but I can't pretend I've watched enough or even that I've concentrated on his play specifically.

Hi Stitches,

I am not a good person to ask, as I was a huge Rhodes fan. Last year was not a good year. He seemed to get beat some and he seemed to commit a lot of penalties. But I still wanted to keep him.

@VikingsFanInChennai may be better at giving you an impartial assessment of Rhodes' play last year. 

48 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'm familiar with his college career and 16 and 17 seasons. 16 was his peak, and has dropped off since. If it's motivation that's needed, that concerns me as much as health to be honest. I'm glad we picked him up, just hope it was team friendly. We had a hole, and I'm glad we filled it pre-draft. 

Evan as bad as he played  at times last year he was still good enough to get in the pro bowl as a replacement Desir wasn't even close to that automatic upgrade in my opinion.

2 hours ago, vikesfan said:

I was reading a lot of your guys post on Rhodes. I was hoping I could shed some light on his play the last 2 seasons. The Vikes run a very complicated Double A scheme. In 2017 it was super effective when paired with a lot of blitzes and **Press Man**. In 2018, more teams started running the double A due to our success (it is a copycat league after all). As a result, many offenses were prepared for the double a scheme and we saw a lot of schematic counters to the defense. What Zimmer then did to counter this was to blitz less, send more corner blitzes instead of sending our Lbs and switch our CBs to a weird fusion of off man and cover 3. Both corners are press corners. They excel by putting immediate hands on a WR and then running with them. Rhodes, unfortunately, has been banged up and has continue to add one muscle to his already large frame. He looks almost like a strong safety at this point. He is too big and off man already was a weakness of his. His previous injuries have robbed him of some foot quickness and change of direction ability. When paired with being heavier, it is a recipe for disaster. He really needs to get lighter and leaner. Not sure if he added on the pounds to be more stout in run support but it has been detrimental to his ability to shadow.

The good news is, not all is lost. He is still one of the best press corners in the league, when allowed to press. If you DC puts him in a press role, he will improve and if he decides to shed all of that excess weight, he will return close to his old form. These are all big ifs though. If your scheme is off man or a lot of cover 3's/clouds, it is going to be Roads Open.  

Well said. But I still wish we had kept him but at a lower salary. Waynes and Alexander are gone, Hughes can't stay healthy, and Holton Hill may get suspended again. Our CB play will be awful next year.

Welcome to the Colts forum, Vikesfan! 

22 minutes ago, w87r said:

I think this signing could entice Clowney a little more?

Clowney and Demarcus Robinson then the draft. Lets get it.

Will be fine if no Clowney, bit think we should bring Sheard back for $8-$10 on a 1yr deal.

Umm, no.

Adding some more coin to Clowney's offer is what will entice him more.

1 minute ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Apparently Rhodes also had an offer to return to the Vikes but chose the Colts instead.

http://www.indianasportscoverage.com/xavier-rhodes-had-offer-to-return-to-vikings-chose-to-sign-with-colts/

Some great news

2 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Umm, no.

Adding some more coin to Clowney's offer is what will entice him more.

As I said earlier

Pass Passing GIF

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Two days in a row now with two good additions.  Maybe a 3rd tomorrow?  Let's hope so.  Maybe  OL or even better Clowney.  Maybe the Rhodes signing could help nudge him along.  You never know.  

For me the Clowney shipped has sailed or I left the dock

5 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Well said. Welcome to the Colts forum, Vikesfan! There are 3 of us now. 

uh oh oops GIF

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

He wasn't good last year, struggled against any kind of speedy wide out that can separate, purely a zone CB 3 at this point, IMO. DO NOT play him in man coverage, please. We can do better for CB 2.

The only X factor is I did not know if he played injured. @NFLfan - you can tell us if he did well enough in man coverage at all last year. All I remember is him giving up chunks of yards in man coverage vs the Seahawks and other teams in the limited games I watched.

His downfall is a mystery, but one thing was clear. He was the top CB when he had full confidence in him, he used to trash talk and be physical with receivers. Some say the recent continuous changes in pass interference calls by NFL has made Zimmer hold him back on his physicality, or Rhodes just lost his competitive edge on his own there. He was still in right place, in step with receivers in many plays but we don't see the physicality and dominance that we used to him see him exhibit. 

Whether that's due to injury or not is something coaches need to take a look at. He has gained a bad reputation of getting in sidelines citing some nagging injury or sprain a lot, but he still played a heavy amount of snaps. Just don't be surprised if he comes off the field many times during the game, but he'd go right back in after a couple of plays. 

Recent PFF stats someone in a Vikings forum pointed out suggests that Zimmer has moved to more zone coverage than man in last two years. Rhodes also has been part of  many miscommunication since the horrible NFCCG game from our secondary against Nick Foles and the Eagles. Zimmer also has admitted making lot of changes in defensive coverage from the NFCCG game, that the team's defensive players started on wrong foot in the beginning of 2018 season for first 4 games and I'm week 2 against GB in 2019. Rhodes has not been the same since Zimmer started evolving his coverage, with the viewpoint that the experienced secondary players who all grew up in same scheme all their career (Harrison, Rhodes, Waynes, Mac, Harris) could take the defense to more complicated coverage looks but Rhodes doesn't seem to have been comfortable with that. No wonder Zimmer has completely dismantled that CB group this off-season, though Mac Alexander did well (but he didn't accept to be a slot corner only position that Zimmer wants him to play).

That's my opinion on his downfall, contrary to @chad72's opinion. He still gets to be in right place but it's also true that he struggles with younger twitchy quicker receivers of late, maybe he just needs simple man coverage, one-on-one physical nature of cornerback play for him to get back to the good old form. It's good Colts have DB coaches that were part of the group who drafted him. If they could get him to play where he's best, he could prove to have more years in his career in good form. Good try on one-year deal.

14 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

We'll trade you Brissett for Cousins? That work?

Lol. I actually like Cousins better than Brissett. haha

I'd trade Cousins for Rivers. I have been a fan of his since his NC State days.  

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

For me the Clowney shipped has sailed or I left the dock

That ship is most likely gone especially if his asking price stays where it is.  I think we are okay on the defensive line.  We should now be able to generate consistent pressure with our front four.  Adding some more pass rushers in the draft is still in play.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

I'm familiar with his college career and 16 and 17 seasons. 16 was his peak, and has dropped off since. If it's motivation that's needed, that concerns me as much as health to be honest. I'm glad we picked him up, just hope it was team friendly. We had a hole, and I'm glad we filled it pre-draft. 

So, EastStreet, a question: do you still think the Colts grab a CB Day 2 or does this open the door for other positions? I feel like this makes the draft much more likely to be offense dominated. WR, TE, QB, OT, RB. I expect all of these positions to be prioritized. With a late CB, G, and DE. 

Just now, Coltsman1788 said:

That ship is most likely gone especially if his asking price stays where it is.  I think we are okay on the defensive line.  We should now be able to generate consistent pressure with our front four.  Adding some more pass rushers in the draft is still in play.

Agreed

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

Lol. I actually like Cousins better than Brissett. haha

I'd trade Cousins for Rivers. I have been a fan of his since his NC State days.  

I've always admired Rivers a bit. His teams just couldn't get over the hump, similar to a lot of Colts teams with Manning and Luck. I'm pretty happy about having him even though he's older. I think the chip on his shoulder is worth at least one more good year.

14 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

This is where Ballard shines. He is great with the numbers outside of Brissett deal. Still hate the offense weapons 

I gotta think with how good this draft class is at WR we’ll get some more quality weapons. I would also like to see us grab a talented OT like Ezra Cleveland in round 2. And an underrated TE in Harrison Bryant in the mid rounds. 

7 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Apparently Rhodes also had an offer to return to the Vikes but chose the Colts instead.

http://www.indianasportscoverage.com/xavier-rhodes-had-offer-to-return-to-vikings-chose-to-sign-with-colts/

He was cut mostly because of his salary. Zimmer liked Rhodes a lot but our salary cap situation forced us to cut many important vets. There has been an exodus of good players. All because of one guy, Cousins. :(

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

He was cut mostly because of his salary. Zimmer liked Rhodes a lot but our salary cap situation forced us to cut many important vets. There has been an exodus of good players. All because of one guy, Cousins. :(

He is no Randall Cunningham or even Wade Wilson

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

I've always admired Rivers a bit. His teams just couldn't get over the hump, similar to a lot of Colts teams with Manning and Luck. I'm pretty happy about having him even though he's older. I think the chip on his shoulder is worth at least one more good year.

Now that you have Rivers and Rhodes, it will be hard not rooting for the Colts. 

It is too bad what has happened to my team.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

i think with him we can compete for it all this season

2 minutes ago, Hoosiernsavga said:

5 million for just one season is still a great deal for him regardless. 

not if he takes us all the way

Houston is in a contract year with Banogu and Turay as up and coming pass rushers. Signing Clowney to a 4-5 year deal would not be the worst idea since he would essentially replace Houston as our everydown end while Banogu and Turay can still rotate to stay fresh.

Perhaps seeing the additions of Rhodes, Day and Buckner plus Leonard and Hooker lurking behind him might sway his opinion on taking Ballards offer?

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Now that you have Rivers and Rhodes, it will be hard not rooting for the Colts. 

It is too bad what has happened to my team.

I'm sorry to hear about the Vikings current situation.  But it goes in cycles.  Hopefully, your team will be able to turn things back around before too long.  How long is Cousin's under contract?

3 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I'm sorry to hear about the Vikings current situation.  But it goes in cycles.  Hopefully, your team will be able to turn things back around before too long.  How long is Cousin's under contract?

Thanks. We just extended him to make salary cap space. We have him for 3 years. 

My Vikings neighbor is pretty upset the Vikings let him go. He was a big believer in giving him another year to see if he can return to form somewhat. 

As I said in another thread, I watch the Vikings a lot with them being the local team here.(I moved here for work). Rhodes had a down year but no denying that for a few years at least he wasn’t just the Vikes top corner but he was also a top 5 corner in the league. At a price lower than what we were scheduled to pay Desir I’m okay with giving him a shot. 

Archived