Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign CB X. Rhodes

MPStack

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Superman said:

We've been doing more man at times, but I've always assumed it was going to be a zone matching kind of 2013 Seahawks scheme. Guess we still could, both Rhodes and Ya-Sin are tall, long, and good tacklers. 

He will probably be playing the vet role that Sherman played for the 49ers D, where Sherman was not playing much man-to-man. Sherman could still get beat but most of the time, he made sound plays and a lot of his plays on the ball had to do with the pressure the 49ers DL brought.

Without the DL pressure, Rhodes will be exposed but if we get the pressure we expect with all our signings, Rhodes in the zone matching should work. Like I said, he is not built for man coverage on the outside at this point in his career. 

This is an interesting signing. Instantly thought of him being a Colt in 2013 but chose Werner instead, got a little deja vu for a second. I really hope he bounces back this season. Does anyone for sure know if he’s been battling injuries through last season?

12 minutes ago, bravo4460 said:

Via Twitter: It sounds like he was BAD last year.

Heres a video: don’t Mind the Commentary.

Good video!!! It matches EXACTLY what I saw on the field vs Seahawks and Packers.

Just because he is a Colt, I am not going to just turn a blind eye to his loss of ability/inability last year. I am sorry, I am not a fan of this signing. He has been bad for 2 years in a row. Film don't lie. Hopes and expectations do.

Play him in zone and cover his weakness, that is the best we can do now.

28 minutes ago, Superman said:

He should have been a Colt all along...

I don't know how well he fits the defense, or why he fell off last year. I'll have to dig into what the Vikings were doing with him. 

I don't know how he will fit but one thing is becoming more and more clear with every CB acquisition - length is huge for this front office when it comes to CBs. 

Wilson, Rock, Marvell Tell, Kenny Moore, Desir...all have arms 32" or longer. This is the same criteria Seattle is using for their corners too.

Rhodes comes in with the longest arms of them all - 33 3/4ths "... That's kind of insane for his size. 

@NFLfan can probably give us better idea about how he was used and what happened with him the last year or so ? Whenever I watched Vikings games he didn't look good, but I can't pretend I've watched enough or even that I've concentrated on his play specifically.

I was reading a lot of your guys post on Rhodes. I was hoping I could shed some light on his play the last 2 seasons. The Vikes run a very complicated Double A scheme. In 2017 it was super effective when paired with a lot of blitzes and **Press Man**. In 2018, more teams started running the double A due to our success (it is a copycat league after all). As a result, many offenses were prepared for the double a scheme and we saw a lot of schematic counters to the defense. What Zimmer then did to counter this was to blitz less, send more corner blitzes instead of sending our Lbs and switch our CBs to a weird fusion of off man and cover 3. Both corners are press corners. They excel by putting immediate hands on a WR and then running with them. Rhodes, unfortunately, has been banged up and has continue to add one muscle to his already large frame. He looks almost like a strong safety at this point. He is too big and off man already was a weakness of his. His previous injuries have robbed him of some foot quickness and change of direction ability. When paired with being heavier, it is a recipe for disaster. He really needs to get lighter and leaner. Not sure if he added on the pounds to be more stout in run support but it has been detrimental to his ability to shadow.

The good news is, not all is lost. He is still one of the best press corners in the league, when allowed to press. If you DC puts him in a press role, he will improve and if he decides to shed all of that excess weight, he will return close to his old form. These are all big ifs though. If your scheme is off man or a lot of cover 3's/clouds, it is going to be Roads Open.  

11 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I don't know enough about him to have an opinion. 

But he gave up 59 catches on 70 targets and had a 46.4 PFF rating. Anyway you look at it, not good. Hoping there's an injury or scheme narrative we don't know about.

I agree. I hope for the best but nothing looks good on the surface.

This is giving me flashbacks of the Patrick Robinson signing.

I know this is seven years later than it should have been and he was terrible last year, but I’m excited to get my boy from the 2013 draft. I don’t know what the deal has been in Zimmer’s D to where the safeties have been so great while the corners terrible, but I’m gonna hope a change in scenery/scheme gets him back to form. It’s not like he’s too old. 

2 minutes ago, Restored said:

I agree. I hope for the best but nothing looks good on the surface.

This is giving me flashbacks of the Patrick Robinson signing.

He was lights out in 16 and 17. Especially 16. 

Not sure how he made the PB with those 19 status/grades.

Had to be gimpy.

36 minutes ago, Superman said:

He should have been a Colt all along...

I don't know how well he fits the defense, or why he fell off last year. I'll have to dig into what the Vikings were doing with him. 

Good article here:  https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28959305/former-viking-cb-xavier-rhodes-sign-colts

He was playing with groin and hamstring issues.  And Zimmer had him shadowing the opposing #1 WR early in the year (sounds like a lot of man coverage).  Later in the year, they started rotating him around.

25 minutes ago, Superman said:

We've been doing more man at times, but I've always assumed it was going to be a zone matching kind of 2013 Seahawks scheme. Guess we still could, both Rhodes and Ya-Sin are tall, long, and good tacklers. 

I expect we'll see a mix of formations on our D, but imagine we'll still see a bit of zone.  I think the main issue Desir was let go is because his tackling was very poor last season.  Ballard likes long DBs who can tackle.  Rhodes can still do that.  Even though he gave up a higher completion rate than Desir last year, he's a much more competent tackler.

2 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Good article here:  https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28959305/former-viking-cb-xavier-rhodes-sign-colts

He was playing with groin and hamstring issues.  And Zimmer had him shadowing the opposing #1 WR early in the year (sounds like a lot of man coverage).  Later in the year, they started rotating him around.

I expect we'll see a mix of formations on our D, but imagine we'll still see a bit of zone.  I think the main issue Desir was let go is because his tackling was very poor last season.  Ballard likes long DBs who can tackle.  Rhodes can still do that.  Even though he gave up a higher completion rate than Desir last year, he's a much more competent tackler.

He wasn't really playing the number 1 much. Zimmer's scheme puts our CBs on a side. When we played Julio, he would move inside if Julio went inside and outside but stayed primarily on the right side of the defense (Defense POV). Waynes was used almost exclusively on the left side. 

Later in the year he got benched as our other CB got healthy. We drafted Hughes in 2018 in the first and had to see what we had in him. Waynes was playing poorly, so shuffling was natural. 

25 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I don't know enough about him to have an opinion. 

But he gave up 59 catches on 70 targets and had a 46.4 PFF rating. Anyway you look at it, not good. Hoping there's an injury or scheme narrative we don't know about.

23 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Awesome. He can get an adjoining ice tub next to TY...

Lets just say a motivated and healthy Xavier Rhodes is of the same quality and school as Jalen Ramsey. Can play Man to Man and good tackler. FSU alum and was highly touted coming into the draft. Had a injury lately from last I heard but a Pro Bowl level CB. Something the Colts hasn't had since like Vontae Davis.

48 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

SOLID signing, he had a down year but I believe it was due to injury, I fully expect him to get healthy and come in and compete. 

ESPN shot in a quickie one liner about this trade saying he did suffer some groin issues. They did not elaborate.

25 minutes ago, vikesfan said:

I was reading a lot of your guys post on Rhodes. I was hoping I could shed some light on his play the last 2 seasons. The Vikes run a very complicated Double A scheme. In 2017 it was super effective when paired with a lot of blitzes and **Press Man**. In 2018, more teams started running the double A due to our success (it is a copycat league after all). As a result, many offenses were prepared for the double a scheme and we saw a lot of schematic counters to the defense. What Zimmer then did to counter this was to blitz less, send more corner blitzes instead of sending our Lbs and switch our CBs to a weird fusion of off man and cover 3. Both corners are press corners. They excel by putting immediate hands on a WR and then running with them. Rhodes, unfortunately, has been banged up and has continue to add one muscle to his already large frame. He looks almost like a strong safety at this point. He is too big and off man already was a weakness of his. His previous injuries have robbed him of some foot quickness and change of direction ability. When paired with being heavier, it is a recipe for disaster. He really needs to get lighter and leaner. Not sure if he added on the pounds to be more stout in run support but it has been detrimental to his ability to shadow.

The good news is, not all is lost. He is still one of the best press corners in the league, when allowed to press. If you DC puts him in a press role, he will improve and if he decides to shed all of that excess weight, he will return close to his old form. These are all big ifs though. If your scheme is off man or a lot of cover 3's/clouds, it is going to be Roads Open.  

Thanks for the info Vikesfan !  That sounds pretty spot on. I remember a couple of years ago going on a tirade to my brother about how we could have had him and drafted Warner instead.   I think if he can healthy he will be an upgrade. Interesting what you  said about  his weight, I wonder if they will be on him about that.   

Will see you in the Super Bowl :)

52 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

How did he make the Pro bowl?

56 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

Yeah that’s why he made the pro bowl last season come on now

Pro Bowl nods don't real mean anything anymore, so I wouldn't really use that as a basis of how well a player is playing.

As for Rhodes, this is just a 1 year deal.  If he comes in and is awful, we don't re-sign him next year and we move on.  At the very least, he's a veteran with plenty of success, so he can mentor guys like Rock Ya-Sin and Marvell Tell.

Yes, he was awful last year.  But he'll be 30 when the season starts, so still plenty of football left in him and plenty of opportunity for him to regain form

Archived