Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign CB X. Rhodes

7 minutes ago, Hark said:

Welcome to the Shoe!

haha I'm still a Vikes fan. I have been posting here for 6 years. I like the folks here very much. I have made many friends, some who are no longer here. 

I am intrigued by the Colts' acquisitions. I hope they work. I would love to see Rivers win a SB.

• Like 5
  • Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sometimes all a player needs is a change of scenery. Hope it works out.

I was reading a lot of your guys post on Rhodes. I was hoping I could shed some light on his play the last 2 seasons. The Vikes run a very complicated Double A scheme. In 2017 it was super effective w

He should have been a Colt all along...   I don't know how well he fits the defense, or why he fell off last year. I'll have to dig into what the Vikings were doing with him. 

21 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

His downfall is a mystery, but one thing was clear. He was the top CB when he had full confidence in him, he used to trash talk and be physical with receivers. Some say the recent continuous changes in pass interference calls by NFL has made Zimmer hold him back on his physicality, or Rhodes just lost his competitive edge on his own there. He was still in right place, in step with receivers in many plays but we don't see the physicality and dominance that we used to him see him exhibit. 

Whether that's due to injury or not is something coaches need to take a look at. He has gained a bad reputation of getting in sidelines citing some nagging injury or sprain a lot, but he still played a heavy amount of snaps. Just don't be surprised if he comes off the field many times during the game, but he'd go right back in after a couple of plays. 

Recent PFF stats someone in a Vikings forum pointed out suggests that Zimmer has moved to more zone coverage than man in last two years. Rhodes also has been part of  many miscommunication since the horrible NFCCG game from our secondary against Nick Foles and the Eagles. Zimmer also has admitted making lot of changes in defensive coverage from the NFCCG game, that the team's defensive players started on wrong foot in the beginning of 2018 season for first 4 games and I'm week 2 against GB in 2019. Rhodes has not been the same since Zimmer started evolving his coverage, with the viewpoint that the experienced secondary players who all grew up in same scheme all their career (Harrison, Rhodes, Waynes, Mac, Harris) could take the defense to more complicated coverage looks but Rhodes doesn't seem to have been comfortable with that. No wonder Zimmer has completely dismantled that CB group this off-season, though Mac Alexander did well (but he didn't accept to be a slot corner only position that Zimmer wants him to play).

That's my opinion on his downfall, contrary to @chad72's opinion. He still gets to be in right place but it's also true that he struggles with younger twitchy quicker receivers of late, maybe he just needs simple man coverage, one-on-one physical nature of cornerback play for him to get back to the good old form. It's good Colts have DB coaches that were part of the group who drafted him. If they could get him to play where he's best, he could prove to have more years in his career in good form. Good try on one-year deal.

I’m impressed...you’re a different kind of Internet forum poster...in the very best way.

• Like 4
25 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

His downfall is a mystery, That's my opinion on his downfall, contrary to @chad72's opinion. He still gets to be in right place but it's also true that he struggles with younger twitchy quicker receivers of late, maybe he just needs simple man coverage, one-on-one physical nature of cornerback play for him to get back to the good old form. It's good Colts have DB coaches that were part of the group who drafted him. If they could get him to play where he's best, he could prove to have more years in his career in good form. Good try on one-year deal.

Explain simpler man coverage, anything he wins is simpler man coverage and anything he doesn’t is complicated? 

He lost against younger physical wide outs like Metcalf, quicker wide outs like Mike Williams and Sutton. He has lost to all kinds playing 1-on-1 and forget keeping up with elite guys like DaVante Adams.

He still has something to offer, no doubt, that’s why they signed him, I trust the Colts front office over any fan.

The only 2 things I’ve heard that make logical sense are - his playing weight and his injuries which both affect his abilities. If that’s the case, worth the shot on a 1 year deal but I’m not getting my hopes up. I’d rather be pleasantly surprised.

8 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

He was cut mostly because of his salary. Zimmer liked Rhodes a lot but our salary cap situation forced us to cut many important vets. There has been an exodus of good players. All because of one guy, Cousins. :(

Yes, Zimmer was still stubbornly defending Rhodes, despite some moments where he'd criticize. Mostly, Zimmer would have still had Rhodes if salary cap is not in this situation because of fully guaranteed deal we have Cousins for his marketing acumen alone.

I think we are fine letting Rhodes and Waynes go, because it was just not working for them. Rhodes now gets to face AJ Brown, DJ Chark and whoever DeShawn Watson has ( :headspin:) , the division probably gets some top WRs in this Draft class too. It will be a good test for his ability, but as @vikesfan said, Rhodes needs to get leaner as he admitted previous off-season, and recapture his ability to twist and turn and keep up with the quicker receivers, which would help him get back his physicality back.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Yes, Zimmer was still stubbornly defending Rhodes, despite some moments where he'd criticize. Mostly, Zimmer would have still had Rhodes if salary cap is not in this situation because of fully guaranteed deal we have Cousins for his marketing acumen alone.

I think we are fine letting Rhodes and Waynes go, because it was just not working for them. Rhodes now gets to face AJ Brown, DJ Chark and whoever DeShawn Watson has ( :headspin:) , the division probably gets some top WRs in this Draft class too. It will be a good test for his ability, but as @vikesfan said, Rhodes needs to get leaner as he admitted previous off-season, and recapture his ability to twist and turn and keep up with the quicker receivers, which would help him get back his physicality back.

Good info

3 minutes ago, Hoose said:

So, EastStreet, a question: do you still think the Colts grab a CB Day 2 or does this open the door for other positions? I feel like this makes the draft much more likely to be offense dominated. WR, TE, QB, OT, RB. I expect all of these positions to be prioritized. With a late CB, G, and DE. 

I really don't know right now lol... These one year contracts don't really remove the needs, especially at key positions. I guess I look at it like...

Tier 1 Needs

QB - take Love at 34 if he's there. If not, Gordon later.

CB - Rhodes is a huge gamble, you still take one early

Tier 2 Needs

WR - Not as bad as some think, but we need an X badly. 44 or 75

DE - With Sheard gone, and big questions around Turay, still a need. I hate taking yet another DE in the second or third round though. And Houston is in a contract year.. 

Tier 3 Needs

TE - If we get a big X, not near the need. Also TEs are devalued and we can pick up a detached option mid rounds. I also think the FO like MAC more than some think.

OL Depth - Losing Haeg sucked. Totally underappreciated swiss army piece. We dodged a bullet with AC signing for 2 more years, but we have zero depth.

RB, S, LB, DT, etc. are luxury picks. 

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Now that you have Rivers and Rhodes, it will be hard not rooting for the Colts. 

It is too bad what has happened to my team.

I wish we could have taken Eiffert... Don't like him ending up with the Jags.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

I'm familiar with his college career and 16 and 17 seasons. 16 was his peak, and has dropped off since. If it's motivation that's needed, that concerns me as much as health to be honest. I'm glad we picked him up, just hope it was team friendly. We had a hole, and I'm glad we filled it pre-draft. 

Was Rivers contact team friendly? NFL teams can cut you at the drop of a hat or not pay you altogether (see Dak Prescott). 

I side with players who put it all on the line. Why should they take a discount? When they're the best TB12 they want you to take a team friendly deal, then when you say "ok now pay me", the team could never find the right numbers.

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Trautman, the guy from Dayton, he’s a good replacement for Ebron, some team is going to fall in love with his Senior Bowl and combine 3-cone numbers, I hope it’s us.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Eifert from the Bengals? He seems to always be injured. I think Ebron would have worked well with Rivers.

Do you like your secondary now? 

Just now, NFLfan said:

Eifert from the Bengals? He seems to always be injured. I think Ebron would have worked well with Rivers.

He is an Indiana kid went to Fort Wayne Bishop Dwenger and Norte Dame

24 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

i think with him we can compete for it all this season

We need some luck from players in terms of development and health if we are going to compete it all.

OL - has to stay healthy like last year.

WR - there's no way the health gods are as cruel to us this year. Need an X

CB/Rhodes - this is true boom or bust deal. Need BOOM!

QB - I think Rivers shocks folks behind our OL

DL - I'm excited to see a pass rush finally. Could make things a lot easier on our DBs. Really need Turay and Banogu to take big steps forward. 

If some things fall our way a bit, we could be right there, and have some great balance.

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Was Rivers contact team friendly? NFL teams can cut you at the drop of a hat or not pay you altogether (see Dak Prescott). 

It'd say it's friendly. More friendly than JBs at this point, and the money we're still paying Luck this year lol... Dak will get his one way or another.

6 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

I side with players who put it all on the line. Why should they take a discount? When they're the best TB12 they want you to take a team friendly deal, then when you say "ok now pay me", the team could never find the right numbers.

I don't side with either. It's a business, and the market drives worth. I don't care about rich owners or players lol. Fans are more important to me.

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

We need some luck from players in terms of development and health if we are going to compete it all.

OL - has to stay healthy like last year.

WR - there's no way the health gods are as cruel to us this year. Need an X

CB/Rhodes - this is true boom or bust deal. Need BOOM!

QB - I think Rivers shocks folks behind our OL

DL - I'm excited to see a pass rush finally. Could make things a lot easier on our DBs. Really need Turay and Banogu to take big steps forward. 

If some things fall our way a bit, we could be right there, and have some great balance.

We’ll get some depth on Day 3 for OL, unless we manufacture pucks with trade downs. Great year to double dip in draft for WR.

Our defense hinges on our DL pressure materializing.

9 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I feel sorry for him and Keelan Cole

I think the Jags have a lot of good pieces. I'd rather be them than Houston right now. IMO, AFCS will be Indy and TN fighting for 1st place, and Jax and Houston playing for 3rd. The way Houston is losing guys, wouldn't be shocked to see them emplode.

Just now, chad72 said:

We’ll get some depth on Day 3 for OL, unless we manufacture pucks with trade downs. Great year to double dip in draft for WR.

Are the Ice going to be involved

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
10 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Trautman, the guy from Dayton, he’s a good replacement for Ebron, some team is going to fall in love with his Senior Bowl and combine 3-cone numbers, I hope it’s us.

There's a few detached guys I like that will be available mid rounds. TEs are devalued, but I've loved Eiffert his entire career. He's a super duper good guy too.

11 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

He's had injury issues for sure, but stayed healthy last year. I think he'd excel with Rivers. 

20 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I really don't know right now lol... These one year contracts don't really remove the needs, especially at key positions. I guess I look at it like...

Tier 1 Needs

QB - take Love at 34 if he's there. If not, Gordon later.

CB - Rhodes is a huge gamble, you still take one early

Tier 2 Needs

WR - Not as bad as some think, but we need an X badly. 44 or 75

DE - With Sheard gone, and big questions around Turay, still a need. I hate taking yet another DE in the second or third round though. And Houston is in a contract year.. 

Tier 3 Needs

TE - If we get a big X, not near the need. Also TEs are devalued and we can pick up a detached option mid rounds. I also think the FO like MAC more than some think.

OL Depth - Losing Haeg sucked. Totally underappreciated swiss army piece. We dodged a bullet with AC signing for 2 more years, but we have zero depth.

RB, S, LB, DT, etc. are luxury picks. 

We absolutely need a WR. Our #1 is the only one you can for sure count on when healthy and he’s been banged up each of the last few years. Everyone else is a question mark and “hope”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I could see Ballard using 44 or 75 on OL IF the right guy falls. And there are some that could. I don't mind double dipping at WR, but X needs to be first taken, and if we go small (Z/slot), it needs to be later. We have zero 6-3 or more guys, and a ton of small and medium guys. 

5 minutes ago, ThinBlueLineColts said:

We absolutely need a WR. Our #1 is the only one you can for sure count on when healthy and he’s been banged up each of the last few years. Everyone else is a question mark and “hope”

Totally agree

7 minutes ago, ThinBlueLineColts said:

A rook WR is always a question mark too.

I absolutely want a WR this year, but not till 44 or 75

2 hours ago, vikesfan said:

Any Corner can be made to look bad by stringing together their bad reps in 16 games. One of the "gaffs" was clearly a miscommunication as he thought he had help over the top. Author claimed he got smoked. It's silly when you see him clearly playing the underneath passing lanes. 

The stats are the real indicator. Sure, even great players have bad moments.

But his year-long stats tell us that he was pretty bad the entire 2019 season.

70 targets, 59 catches. Yikes.

In many ways, this may be a bigger signing of importance than Buckner. We now have a #1 cornerback overnight. Colts nation this is an early Christmas present via CB during the Corona.

The draft is now that much intriguing because all stakes will be available for review. And BPA will now be a gift instead of a curse . Greattt signing by Colts front office.

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, ThinBlueLineColts said:

I like the potential of Rock and Tell. Hopefully having Xavier around will also help their development being able to watch a successful veteran on a daily basis. 

I like our starting 4 corners with most likely Rock and Rhodes on the outside, with Moore manning the slot, and Tell our #4 CB. Hope this is how they line up start of the season!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Rackeen305 said:

In many ways, this may be a bigger signing of importance than Buckner. We now have a #1 cornerback overnight. Colts nation this is an early Christmas present via CB during the Corona.

The draft is now that much intriguing because all stakes will be available for review. And BPA will now be a gift instead of a curse . Greattt signing by Colts front office.

Disagree on the bolded. And I think #1CB is a little optimistic given his last two years, but I will be crossing my fingers.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Pro Bowl nods don't real mean anything anymore, so I wouldn't really use that as a basis of how well a player is playing.

As for Rhodes, this is just a 1 year deal.  If he comes in and is awful, we don't re-sign him next year and we move on.  At the very least, he's a veteran with plenty of success, so he can mentor guys like Rock Ya-Sin and Marvell Tell.

Yes, he was awful last year.  But he'll be 30 when the season starts, so still plenty of football left in him and plenty of opportunity for him to regain form

How can you be terrible and get a pro bowl nod?

It would be nice if Wilson could take the next step. Maybe s guy like this will help. He was working hard with Moore before all of this virus stuff hit.

Little off topic. Does anyone think conditioning and no OTA will hurt going into the season. I noticed a lot of them are doing some weird stuff with gyms closed.

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

Saved 2 million on Desir for Rhodes and got Rivers for only 25 million. Ballard stole Rivers from the rest of league as he had other offers and now Rhodes. That is financial ingenuity.

• Confused 1
54 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Explain simpler man coverage, anything he wins is simpler man coverage and anything he doesn’t is complicated? 

He lost against younger physical wide outs like Metcalf, quicker wide outs like Mike Williams and Sutton. He has lost to all kinds playing 1-on-1 and forget keeping up with elite guys like DaVante Adams.

He still has something to offer, no doubt, that’s why they signed him, I trust the Colts front office over any fan.

The only 2 things I’ve heard that make logical sense are - his playing weight and his injuries which both affect his abilities. If that’s the case, worth the shot on a 1 year deal but I’m not getting my hopes up. I’d rather be pleasantly surprised.

I think the problem was Rhodes' struggles cannot be all pointed at his weight and injuries. 

He has had nagging sprains almost every game, and he gets off the field many times during games but he has not had serious injury that sidelined him for many games in last two years. Yet, he is on and off the field routinely. He cited he gets dehydrated a lot and that may be the reason more than any injury. Does that mean he has not been taking precautions to rectify the problem on game days? Only him and the coaches know. 

Does that mean he has got bad weight that restricts him to win one-on-one with young but inexperienced WRs, when he used to successfully defend Julio Jones, Antonio Brown and DeVante Adams in 2017? If so, why has he not corrected that when he himself said he needed to during 2018 offseason? 

And, in last two years, he has been seen after giving some crucial receptions and TDs to be pointing fingers at his teammates for not anyone over the top or having longer arguments with Harrison Smith on the sidelines after such plays. There have been few instances Zimmer needed to take Rhodes off the field because he blows off like a pressure cooker and doesn't stay on top of upcoming plays because he's still going off about previous plays when the game is still going on. There have been instances where Harrison Smith needs to have a lengthier chat with him on sidelines to cool him down. There have been instances where Rhodes has been clearly unhappy with either what other players are doing after the snap or the way the defensive play is called that he seems to suggest he's put in wrong position on that play and he knew it. 

Is that all only because of injury or bad weight? 

If we take a close look at his career tape, he was at his best until 2017 NFCCG game that Zimmer took blame on himself that he changed too much on defensive coverage that put players on bad spots, that they completely looked overwhelmed against Doug Pederson on their most important game of their career. 

Then, they had whole 2018 offseason, vowed to correct the mistakes, but started the season very badly giving up lot of receptions many of which  due to miscommunication if you watch GB, Bills and Rams games from week 2-4. Zimmer said the team has not adapted to complexities he introduced in off-season and said he needed to simplify. Whether the plays that worked are simplified and there plays that didn't work are overcomplicated is subjective. 

The reason I'm saying all this is because all those events coincide exactly with the turning point of Rhodes' career, and he never got back to his 2017 form. 

He lost receptions to almost everyone like Metcalf, Slayton, etc., And Adams still continued to juke around him. 

I'm sure injuries and bad weight are part of the reasons and is very logical but there's a mental aspect to his game that has changed for the worse. IMO, that's the biggest reason for his drop-off. He's best when he asserts himself to the receivers and challenges them to beat him and continue to egg on them whole game. Nowadays he doesn't have courage to do that to even Rookies. 

He's a film study guy, he doesn't sleep during the game week until he studies the tendencies of the receivers and brings his game accordingly on the field on those he's projected to cover as #1 CB for the team. Yet, he was painfully admitting after week 4/5 last season post game that younger receivers have been adjusting to his tendencies and he needs to adjust what he usually does to not give them leverage. He seems to understand the problem yet he doesn't seem to correct. He's a good football player to be in this situation. 

So, I think finding out what went wrong for him and what could make him better is a tough task. That's best up to him and DB coaches who work with him now. It gets subjective to everyone's eyes. Hope he gets back to his best, he's fun to watch that way.