The good...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC1R1YfMAkw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBfGGaD4A1w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfZ54yKgsmA

The bad...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IXSzqU1diQ

and the ugly...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUlafk8krnk

Hopefully, he can rebound in our system.  I think it's a decent gamble to take for one year.  

6 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I’m all for seeing if a change of scenery helps, but I’m seeing people essentially say “he’ll at least be as good as Desir.” And we just don’t know if that’ll be the case.

Again, not against signing him, but I’m not expecting too much.

Same if not even more so true can be said about Rivers. And father time is not on Rivers side.

1 minute ago, Rackeen305 said:

Same if not even more so true can be said about Rivers. And father time is not on Rivers side.

The same can be flipped around and said "Rivers has a longer track record plus he has had 3 prior years with Reich and Siranni in a system that involves very similar concepts."

But I get your point. :) 

I have to wonder if perhaps some of the injuries have gotten to his head. There were a few times in the playoffs last year he was glued to his receiver, but he’d have just the slightest hesitation. And that would be just enough for his target to make a catch. 

It’s going to be interesting on what the coaches will plan to do with him. 

9 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

@chad72

Why cant you receive messages, you have them disabled?

No, I don't. I get the trade proposals from other members just fine for our mock draft. Let me check again.

I cleared a whole bunch in my Inbox now and sent you a test message.

Remember how well the so called washed up Charles Woodson was for the Packers from age 30-36, making the ProBowl 4 times?

Perhaps with Rhodes his career will entail a similar rebirth!  I am an advocate of this low risk signing.   Really nothing to lose in giving Rhodes the opportunity to recapture his stellar play.

Somewhat unrelated, I wonder if S Eric Berry is still in play. Hmmmm.

Like most people...I really wanted Rhodes in that draft.

The concern is that injuries have possibly taken away a step...and that his style of play gets flagged a lot (he and Rock both had 8 last year)...and only 1 INT in the past two years. 

But it’s a cheap one year deal...sometimes these work out really well and sometimes they don’t...and become a footnote. 

I will say...I doubt they draft a CB early. If they are planning on keeping Wilson...then they have a 5-man depth chart. Maybe a developmental prospect later in the draft.

4 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Remember how well the so called washed up Charles Woodson was for the Packers from age 30-36, making the ProBowl 4 times?

Perhaps with Rhodes his career will entail a similar rebirth!  I am an advocate of this low risk signing.   Really nothing to lose in giving Rhodes the opportunity to recapture his stellar play.

Woodson played some S as well.

Now that would be an interesting wrinkle in this. Rhodes certainly has the size to play S...and would allow them to run more of a big nickel with 3 Ss on the field. 

You might be onto something here.

3 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Woodson played some S as well.

Now that would be an interesting wrinkle in this. Rhodes certainly has the size to play S...and would allow them to run more of a big nickel with 3 Ss on the field. 

You might be onto something here.

Correct. For all that we know, Xavier Rhodes might be transitioning to a "face to the QB" Kam Chancellor like role?? Just thinking out loud. That is why I also mentioned "Richard Sherman like role in the 49ers" where his face is mostly facing the QB and he is rarely on an island at this point in his career.

56 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

FWIW Peter King just said on PFT that he hopes Ballard knows what he is doing.  He doesn't see the signing.  Florio agrees.  They said he was in the bottom of the league the last two years.  Oh well. 

I think it really falls to how they use him.  He is not a guy who can chase a quick WR all over the field.  If you let him press and we get actual pass rush he will do very well

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

FWIW Peter King just said on PFT that he hopes Ballard knows what he is doing.  He doesn't see the signing.  Florio agrees.  They said he was in the bottom of the league the last two years.  Oh well. 

They act like Ballard gave him a 6 year deal with a huge cap hit.  It's a 1 year deal.  If it works out, great.  If it doesn't, both sides move on.  In my opinion, it's low risk, high reward

12 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

In the KC game we played a lot of MAN, not sure why we didn't do it more. People were even posting about it the next day how good our D looked playing that way.

I remember that game. I don’t get why teams run zone based schemes anyways. Good QBs destroy any type of zone. It’s best used as a prevent defense IMO.

13 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

I don't know how Desir was horrendous I also never did put much stock in that PFF crap either never did think it meant anything.

He gave up far more receptions, plain and simple. 

He was good at tackling, horrible at coverage.

On PFF... It's not perfect, but it certainly is an indicator of performance. 

16 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Houston is in a contract year with Banogu and Turay as up and coming pass rushers. Signing Clowney to a 4-5 year deal would not be the worst idea since he would essentially replace Houston as our everydown end while Banogu and Turay can still rotate to stay fresh.

Perhaps seeing the additions of Rhodes, Day and Buckner plus Leonard and Hooker lurking behind him might sway his opinion on taking Ballards offer?

Is it that hard to see that he really just wants to be paid?

17 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Houston is in a contract year with Banogu and Turay as up and coming pass rushers. Signing Clowney to a 4-5 year deal would not be the worst idea since he would essentially replace Houston as our everydown end while Banogu and Turay can still rotate to stay fresh.

Perhaps seeing the additions of Rhodes, Day and Buckner plus Leonard and Hooker lurking behind him might sway his opinion on taking Ballards offer?

I'd be OK with that strategy if he indeed was set to replace Houston. I doubt though that they are willing to move off Houston. I can see them re-upping so long as he doesn't drop off this year. Also, we're #3 in DL spending currently, and only a few M off being #1. I just don't see them blowing away the #1 spot by that much.

15 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

exactly!! the dude would absolutely kill it here with our line!!! I can only dream :Cry:

Sorry to bring Cousins into discussion here. 

IMO, Cousins is like an expensive Quality Inspector, sorta like what companies in good times spend money on shiny new concepts would spend for no particular use or gain. 

Cousins had a stellar OL in Redskins behind Trent Williams, Brendon Schreff, Morgan Moses, and others, but that was not enough because defense was poor. Vikings had a stellar defense which is what Cousins wanted his whole career, but you find out how bad your OL is. (OL is bad compared to Colts' standard, but they were 15th best in league (average) in giving up QB pressures. Let's say Cousins comes to Colts for few years, he would expose where the team needs to improve, which as a fan you'd probably know already. But, a Quality Inspector confirms it officially.

The problem is you'd have to pay 30 million, sometimes in fully guaranteed deal for his liking, to test and find out where your team's weakness lies, which you probably knew by eye test for free as a fan. Cousins will not improve the team or compensate the problem by elevating his game, but he can wow fans by some of the elite passing skills, which come and go so often that he wouldn't play consistently even through a single game. He would look top 3 QB in the league in highlights package, so he would have lot of football fans understandably saying why the team has done well with him. 

Even in game plan and play execution, Cousins comes on to the field like a Quality Inspector. He would try to execute a play, if everything doesn't go well as planned, for example someone in OL didn't pass protect for few more seconds until the play develops or if the wide receiver was late running a route, Cousins would expose how other players are doing it wrong. He wouldn't make adjustments and find a way to keep the drive alive, he'd just expose average flaws in the team as worst and worse flaws in the team as irreparable. I firmly believe that was the point of contention for Adam Thielen and Stefon Diggs with Kirk Cousins, as they love their QB to buy time and throw it to them whether they're covered or a bit late in route transition because the CB coverage was good. Cousins is just too nerdy and plays by book that he cannot ever excel making plays when situations aren't in "ideal conditions" on the field, which most often is the case. 

6 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

The good...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC1R1YfMAkw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBfGGaD4A1w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfZ54yKgsmA

The bad...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IXSzqU1diQ

and the ugly...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUlafk8krnk

Hopefully, he can rebound in our system.  I think it's a decent gamble to take for one year.  

Maybe CB is betting that he'll play better in a zone than getting beat in man coverage???

3 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

You ain’t right for that.  Lol 

Just passing it along.  Based on recent times, it's pretty accurate, though.  Rhodes was horrible in 2019.  I do however think it's a good idea to take a low risk chance on a reclamation project now and then.  

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I asked a few friends who are fans of MN.

FWIW ----- Both said:

-Awesome 2-3 years ago

-Horrible the last 2 years

-Is a drama queen / "me" guy

@NFLfan can you address #3? lol

guessing he meant to type cov2 (cover 2)

I don't think he is a "me" guy. I'm not sure why your friends say this. As for drama queen, some fans felt that he seemed to complain of injury whenever he got beat on a play. He did seem to do this at times.

I like Rhodes. I'm not among the ones who complained about him.

What do your friends think of Cousins?

I think a big thing to remember is that OTAs and offseason will be extremely shortened if not almost non-existent. Bringing in guys familiar with the system like Rivers and Rhodes and an immediate impact player like Buckner instead of taking a draft pick that will be behind the 8 ball getting up to speed with the NFL sends a signal to me that Ballard is trying to field a team that can hit the ground running and make a real run at the playoffs and our division. He probably sees that rookies who can’t come into facilities and practice are not going to make a huge contribution this year and he would rather bring in vets that can help more right away...at least this year. 

Archived