Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Edit: AC considering retirement

Restinpeacesweetchloe

13 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

dear god drama queen we could easily draft a LT at 13 get a QB at 34 and still have a shot at a good WR with our 2nd round pick. then there is also this thing called free agency where we could get DL help the world is not ending.

You really think a QB is still going to be at 34 that can be a franchise guy. Chances are they are all gone after the first round.

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Please try not to agree with Chloe when she gets this way...   when she starts up with THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING!!   And she’s doing this while accusing others of being dramatic.   It’s not her best look.....

:thanks:

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm sure it's because of Brissett. They need to cut him immediately. I don't care if it tips our hand. The locker room is falling apart.

I think that locker room is too loose right now. Just listen to the background during locker talk segments. Stop kissing butt and start kicking butt Frank. We lost 4 games because of AV kicking issues alone. Stop being a "Players Coach" and just coach.

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

You really think a QB is still going to be at 34 that can be a franchise guy. Chances are they are all gone after the first round.

I'm like 110% sure a franchise QB could be there at 34. do you realize where some of the better QBs in the league were drafted or do you not pay attention? cousins was like a 3rd rounder as was wilson jackson was a late 1st so we will be fine lol

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Wirfs is not a LT, he plays RT.

Thanks!!! But his high upside is worth looking into.

His teammate, Alaric Jackson, however, has 23 starts at left tackle, might be had for a 3rd rounder. He might be someone we could look into as well.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

It would be a mistake for the Colts to spend a high draft pick (1st or 2nd round) on a WR.  The Colts have Hilton, Campbell and Pascal then with Fountain (yes I know he has not proven anything in the nFL yet and comparisons to Cain will be made, but remember a rookie has not proven anything in the NFL yet either and just because players play the same position and drafted the same time does not mean you can compare their situations.  From all reports Fountain works hard at improving as a receiver, from all reports Cain worked hard at rehab but it was not discussed that he worked at his craft.  My point is sometimes you have to give a player a chance.  Remember, most Colts fans thought Wayne was a bust after his first two years... not saying Fountain will be like Wayne, just saying that we, as fans, don't see everything no matter how much we pretend we do.

It would be a mistake  not to take a wr in case we have a repeat of this year. We need a wr so good he could make painter  look like joe Montana 

9 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I'm like 110% sure a franchise QB could be there at 34. do you realize where some of the better QBs in the league were drafted or do you not pay attention? cousins was like a 3rd rounder as was wilson jackson was a late 1st so we will be fine lol

I keep hearing these stats, but those Qbs were not drafted with the idea of being a franchise guy.  Cousins was drafted as an insurance policy to the Skins franchise Qb taken #2, RGIII, and Wilson and Jackson were drafted to manage a game that would be dominated by their defenses.  They turned out to be better, but that wasn't the thinking when they were drafted.

@Chloe6124 is correct.  If GMs see a QB as being the next franchise, they will not wait until the second round to select him.  They may be wrong about that QB after a few years, but if that's what they think about him on draft day, they draft them in the top 20, probably top 15.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Maybe... Tom Brady was taken 199th... Ryan Leaf was taken Number 2, which one is a franchise QB

Just now, DougDew said:

I keep hearing these stats, but those Qbs were not drafted with the idea of being a franchise guy.  Cousins was drafted as an insurance policy to the Skins franchise Qb taken #2, RGIII, and Wilson and Jackson were drafted to manage a game that would be dominated by their defenses.  They turned out to be better, but that wasn't the thinking when they were drafted.

Chloe is correct.  If GMs see a QB as being the next franchise, they will not wait until the second round to select him.  They may be wrong about that QB after a few years, but if that's what they think at the time, they draft them in the top 20, probably top 15.

who cares what they were drafted for the point is talent can be had anywhere Wilson was 100% thought of as a franchise QB as was Jackson 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

who cares what they were drafted for the point is talent can be had anywhere Wilson was 100% thought of as a franchise QB as was Jackson 

The point is what decision are you going to make at pick 13 and pick 34.  How it all works out is anybody's guess.  Saying that Wilson worked out at pick 90 four years ago isn't going to make a GM pass on a franchise type QB at 13 and hope one will be there at 34.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

The point is what decision are you going to make at pick 13 and pick 34.  How it all works out is anybody's guess.  Saying that Wilson worked out at pick 90 four years ago isn't going to make a GM pass on a QB at 13 and hope one will be there at 34.

also have to factor in we probably aren't moving up to take a QB so the top end ones will likely be gone so you will have to take bpa and hope love falls cause I doubt we are taking him at 13 unless he blows up the combine 

21 minutes ago, csmopar said:

but only 1st rounders can make a team win... :sarcasm:

So true. It's crazy how this mindset/idea is pervasive amongst NFL fans. You see it ever year after the season.

You could be #2/#3 in the draft and people lose it on how no good players are left.. Lol

People were clamoring for us to go after #91 on  Jax's D this off-season, the guy drafted in round 3...

If you know how to draft and have ANY picks in a draft you can get a good player.

This mindset is crazy.

• Like 1

Just now, Colts_Fan12 said:

also have to factor in we probably aren't moving up to take a QB so the top end ones will likely be gone so you will have to take bpa and hope love falls cause I doubt we are taking him at 13 unless he blows up the combine 

The point me and chloe are making is that if Ballard, or any GM, think of a QB as a franchise guy, they will not take any other player with their first draft pick.  

The Qbs they take later than pick 20 are Qbs who need some work to be the franchise guy, so they reduce the impact of potential failure buy not investing so much to begin with.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The point me and chloe are making is that if Ballard, or any GM, think of a QB as a franchise guy, they will not take any other player with their first draft pick.  

The Qbs they take later than pick 20 are Qbs who need some work to be the franchise guy, so they reduce the impact of potential failure buy not investing so much to begin with.

Its not always the case though is it?

The consensus MVP this year wasn't even his team first pick. The likely runner up was a 3rd round choice.

48 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Thanks.  I almost didn't come to this board because I knew there would be a ton of over-reactions.

Funny, AC says he sees two options for this offseason... resign with the Colts or retire and everyone focuses on the retiring, no one focuses on the fact he wants to sign a new contract with the Colts.

And not only do people not focus on him saying he wants to stay(or retire), but they use the second part as a way to push a narrative that goes directly against the first part of his statement(wants to stay). 

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, The Fish said:

You see it too. I got "Dear God ed (sp?)" for pointing this out yesterday in the context of needing to finding a QB and being open to paying to do so- as if that's daft.. lol, but if you know what your seeing in real time and don't need to be told later that things weren't good, you knew Luck retiring was always going to be a major, not minor set back. 

I have been saying this as well. Luck retiring set is back a minimum of 3yrs and probably closer to 5yrs.  By then the team may need another rebuild  especially on the OL. It will ultimately cost Ballard and Reich their jobs. The only hope is if they can hit on a QB this draft the develops quickly.  That will be quite a task picking where we are.  It won’t surprise me if we only make the playoffs 4 times or less this next decade. The Colts have a lot of mediocrity ahead of them.  I will still watch the games tho bc I enjoy the Colts when they  are good and bad.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

Its not always the case though is it?

The consensus MVP this year wasn't even his team first pick. The likely runner up was a 3rd round choice.

As I said, if a GM needs a QB and he thinks of a college QB as being a franchise type QB, he won't pick another player with his first pick and hope the franchise Qb lasts to the next round.

This is how Josh Allen gets picked at #7 after a trade up, and why Lamar fell to 30, because GMs viewed Allen as being more likely to be the MVP than Jackson on draft day.

How history played out is not relevant.  It doesn't influence how the QB position is approached, IMO.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

As I said, if a GM needs a QB and he thinks of a college QB as being a franchise type QB, he won't pick another player with his first pick and hope the franchise Qb lasts to the next round.

This is how Josh Allen gets picked at #7 after a trade up, and why Lamar fell to 30, because GMs viewed Allen as being more likely to be the MVP than Jackson on draft day.

How history played out is not relevant.  It doesn't influence how the QB position is approached, IMO.

Any GM who picks a QB in the top 100 must think they need one to some extent.

Nobody is using a valuable pick on a player to run the scout team.

41 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

This shows me just how close this team is to rock bottom.

Losing Hilton or AC would probably put the current squad firmly in the bottom 10% of the league.

Do you know what u it s a game changer?   Having high picks.   We do!

And we have extra picks.   AND we have the most money for free agents.

Things may not be as bleak as you think.

9 minutes ago, Vexed said:

I don’t get all the panic. Most of us on here have expressed the need to draft a LT anyway as AC ain’t getting any younger 

Yes but we could be in a position to develop one for a year or two which means maybe we could of taken one in a later round. If he retires we need someone to step in right away.

Williams from WA could be a stop gap but he will probably cost to high of a pick.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Do you know what u it s a game changer?   Having high picks.   We do!

And we have extra picks.   AND we have the most money for free agents.

Things may not be as bleak as you think.

We haven't had a FA period without Luck since Ballard has been GM yet. Maybe he changes his philosophy and splurges some? It should be interesting nontheless. The Redskins pick at 34 is also a big positive as you said. Could be used in a lot of ways.