Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Edit: AC considering retirement

Restinpeacesweetchloe

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Do you know what u it s a game changer?   Having high picks.   We do!

And we have extra picks.   AND we have the most money for free agents.

Things may not be as bleak as you think.

I agree but you have to hit on them. I don't think another Hooker, Rock or Funchess is gonna help. You can't count on them being sure things, nobody bats 1.000 and we already have a multitude of big needs that are tricky to fill.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Yes but we could be in a position to develop one for a year or two which means maybe we could of taken one in a later round. If he retires we need someone to step in right away.

Williams from WA could be a stop gap but he will probably cost to high of a pick.

Don't worry, if Constanzo retires, we'll be fine. Great tackle class, and I'm guessing we'll spend in FA as well.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Yes but we could be in a position to develop one for a year or two which means maybe we could of taken one in a later round. If he retires we need someone to step in right away.

Williams from WA could be a stop gap but he will probably cost to high of a pick.

I hope they use a higher pick on the OL. I’m an old school trenches guy and would be drafting high every year on the LOS

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

And that still doesn’t address the bad dline. That also stops us from using a pick to move up because we need them all.

Chloe..,.   Remember, there is also free agency.    It’s not just the draft.   And we have the most money to spend.

I’d like to be clear...   I like you.  I really do.   You’re an important member in the community.   But when stories like this surface, your engine quickly goes from zero to 60!    Slow down!   See the Big Picture!   These things I’m telling you, you already know.   But you get sooooo excited you forget most of this.

I get that we need defense.  I’ve been leaning that way for most of this season.  The plan may have to change.  

Maybe we drop $100 mill on DT Chris Jones in free agency?   Who knows?  But trust Ballard.  He’s got an idea of what he’s doing.

And we should hear from him THIS WEEK!   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Maybe it’s just me, but even if it’s a re-sign or retire type of choice, still kind of makes me wonder if his heart is 100% in it. I know that could come off as disrespectful but that’s not my intention.

When guys ponder retirement in the NFL...they typically have one foot out the door. But most of the time it’s injuries or lack of opportunity/success.

AC is (seemingly) healthy...coming off a career year...and set to earn a huge contract. Seems very likely that his heart isn’t in it (or he isn’t sold on the direction of the team). 

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Maybe we drop $100 mill on DT Chris Jones in free agency?   Who knows?

I'd love to get Chris Jones, but the Chiefs are crazy if they let him walk. Sammy Watkins is their second highest paid player. Anthony Hitchens is sixth. They can get rid of either, or both, and replace their production without breaking a sweat, and keep Jones. That would be my approach if I were them.

• Like 1

• Superman changed the title to Edit: AC considering retirement if the Colts don't re-sign him
43 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Dumb question but how hard is it to move a RT like smith to LT and maybe get another guard. It’s easier to find a guard. Or maybe Haeg can be a starting guard.

Not hard at all. You just say your here, that guy is over there.
Of course Smith is just ok as a pass blocker on the right side, and most teams put there best rusher on the left. So there is that.

7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The thread title was not wrong. He didn’t say if the colts don’t resign him.  You just changed it to something he never said.

Your first linked tweet says otherwise...

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think I might cry. If he does this there goes a QB or WR in the draft. THis team is a mess.

10 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The thread title was not wrong. He didn’t say if the colts don’t resign him.  You just changed it to something he never said.

We didn't hear what he said. We know what reporters say he said. The initial tweet from Holder was 'first option, re-sign with Colts, second option, retire.' That's what the thread title says because it's a more accurate representation of the reporting, so far. 

1 hour ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Maybe it’s just me, but even if it’s a re-sign or retire type of choice, still kind of makes me wonder if his heart is 100% in it. I know that could come off as disrespectful but that’s not my intention.

Like i posted above, i dont beleive he wants to retire he wants to resign but i beleive he was saying if CB decides not to resign him. He would rather retire a Colt than play anywhere else. I think he 100% wants to play but only for the Horseshoe 

5 minutes ago, Jeremy Waldon said:

Like i posted above, i dont beleive he wants to retire he wants to resign but i beleive he was saying if CB decides not to resign him. He would rather retire a Colt than play anywhere else. I think he 100% wants to play but only for the Horseshoe 

No that’s not what he said. He said he has some decisions to make and retirement is on the table. Let’s not forget who his best friend is.  I will be shocked if he comes back.

40 minutes ago, Superman said:

So really, AC said he wants to keep playing for the Colts, and if not, he'll consider retirement. 

What a headline, guys.

Actually didn't he say he was considering retirement but might play for the Colts if the circumstance worked for him.
 TY is _____ off too!
  Does he want to give his body up for a year or two to go 7-9? I doubt it.
 If the Captain doesn't return... i bet he leaves it behind.

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Sheesh. Another player who could retire after a career year. When it rains it pours I guess. Hope Ballard can convince him to stay.

I honestly think with the punishment these guys take in the nfl, the amount of time it takes away from family and growing up as a parent to little kids and missing all the little things, the lingering affects it has on them and the insane amount of money they have made in the first contract for big names and then that second contract, I could see so many more Andrew Luck occurrences happening. Play to age 30 and have 50-100 million in the bank, why continue and risk permanent damage if you don’t need to? I think we will see more Lucks and less Brady’s in the future. 

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Maybe... Tom Brady was taken 199th... Ryan Leaf was taken Number 2, which one is a franchise QB

How many other QBs taken at 199 have gone on to be hall of fame QBs?  Tom Brady is the exception not the rule.  You know who else was taken in the sixth round?  Curtis Painter.  Most late round QBs have careers that more closely resemble Curtis Painter and not Tom Brady.  

Clearly taking a QB high doesn’t guarantee he will be great but odds say you have a better chance of hitting on one the higher you take them.  With that said, taking a QB at 34 could very well work.  Drew Brees and Russell Wilson are two examples of guys still taken fairly high but not in the first round.  If whoever the Colts take ends up anything like them we will be thrilled clearly.

47 minutes ago, Superman said:

We didn't hear what he said. We know what reporters say he said. The initial tweet from Holder was 'first option, re-sign with Colts, second option, retire.' That's what the thread title says because it's a more accurate representation of the reporting, so far. 

Holder didn’t say his first option was play for the Colts.  It says he’s considering two options.  Either playing for the Colts or retiring.  In other words he’s picking between the two.  That’s the way everyone who did hear this is reporting this.  No where has anyone reported it as AC will retire if the Colts don’t re-sign him as the thread title now says.  That’s very misleading.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Superman said:

So really, AC said he wants to keep playing for the Colts, and if not, he'll consider retirement. 

What a headline, guys.

Well, that definitely adds relief.  I don’t see why the Colts wouldn’t want to keep him around for another few years atleast. 

3 minutes ago, Malakai432 said:

Well, that definitely adds relief.  I don’t see why the Colts wouldn’t want to keep him around for another few years atleast. 

That’s not what AC said.  He clearly told Holder he’s considering between retiring or playing for the Colts.  Reich pretty much confirmed that in his last presser of the year when he said they want AC back but everyone needs space at the end of the year and there is no time table for AC’s decision.

https://mobile.twitter.com/mchappell51/status/1211726578209771522

Edited by GoColts8818
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

That’s not what AC said.  He clearly told Holder he’s considering between retiring or playing for the Colts.  Reich pretty much confirmed that in his last presser of the year when he said they want AC back but everyone needs space at the end of the year and there is no time table for AC’s decision.

sad jim carrey GIF

2 hours ago, Catloaf said:

This team cant catch a break.  If he retires the Colts will be stuck in mediocrity for years unless they can magically procure a stuff QB and T in draft or FA... but I doubt that's gonna happen.

I just have this sinking feeling that we wont be contenders for another 5+ years.  And it all started with Luck pulling the plug.

We have 3 picks in the first 44. all can be addressed OT, QB and WR

9 minutes ago, chad72 said:

What do you guys think is fair market value for AC at his age right now?

3 yrs $40 mil.?? or 2 years $30 mil.??

2/30.  That's the issue.  He needs replaced soon.

Also, the original tweet suggests that he is controlling the situation.  Either he retires or signs with the Colts....indicating to me that getting the most possible money is not the goal.

The Colts are not in control.  Its not like AC is waiting for the Colts to make a decision and if they make the negative decision he'll just retire instead of trying to land with another team.

I interpret the tweet as him thinking that he is considering retiring RATHER than signing with the Colts.  Money may matter, but 2/30 might not matter enough.

16 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Holder didn’t say his first option was play for the Colts.  It says he’s considering two options.  Either playing for the Colts or retiring.  In other words he’s picking between the two.  That’s the way everyone who did hear this is reporting this.  No where has anyone reported it as AC will retire if the Colts don’t re-sign him as the thread title now says.  That’s very misleading.  

"He did not give any sense of how seriously he is considering walking away, but it is one of two options, he said: First is re-signing with the Colts and the other is retirement."

Holder did in fact say that. 

• Like 2