Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts claim K Chase McLaughlin (Niners)

Mr.Debonair

4 hours ago, #12. said:

I suspect the mangling of Luck's retirement influenced the way the 2019 Vinatieri situation was handled, and in the end, nothing worked.

Not sure I follow here?  So someone leaking Luck's retirement during a preseason game has had what effect on Vinatieri, and how the team has handled him this season?

• Like 2

I think our owner has finally seen enough.  Any other NFL owner would have cut Vinny week's ago, but Jim is giving him all the respect he deserves, and letting him go out on his terms.

I see Vinny as the kicker we trot out until he hit's 600, then retires after the game.  I love Vinny, he is the GOAT, but I think he has to own a big part of why we are not playoff bound.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There is zero tarnish on AV's career. C'mon! 

4x SB champion and he's never been involved in any scandals or anything of the sort. 

Dude is a great person, and the greatest kicker of all time. Father Time is undefeated, but he can ride off into the sunset holding his head up high. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Superman said:

This is when the kicker was on waivers. That's not a choice they made.

And they've brought in kickers to try out at least twice this season already. I don't think they're worried about controversy.

Maybe they felt he was the guy they wanted to develop and transition to. Plus, with all the injuries on the roster, a second kicker did not hurt the 53 man roster spots, IMO. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Daniel John said:

The best thing about getting McLaughlin is that the Patriots wanted him. :D

The Patriots could have gotten him while Nick Folk had his surgery, they opted to go with an experienced guy in Forbath. We have the luxury to develop him and should the last 2 games become meaningless games w.r.t playoff spots, I wouldn't be surprised to see Chase given a chance either. 

But given AV's MRI results, we may see Chase sooner.

10 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

Not sure I follow here?  So someone leaking Luck's retirement during a preseason game has had what effect on Vinatieri, and how the team has handled him this season?

Of course.  Had Luck not retired or had it not ended the way it did with him being booed, with no formal retirement ceremony, they probably would have asked for or allowed Vinatieri to retire early this season.  After the Luck fiasco, they were walking on eggshells and didn't want to take another hit, didn't want kick a Colt legend, a ring of honor player to the curb several weeks later.

Since he'll be a FA at season's end, this claim being a move for the future only works if we sign him to a longer contract at some point before season's end.  If not, he's a FA and any team can sign him.

So, he'll have to get some playing time in front of AV in order to see if he's worthy of resigning, unless the Colts just want to evaluate him in practice, which I doubt.

I assume he'll play, and Vinny will sit.  Probably for more than just one game.

Vinny might be allowed to try to get his 600th FG, but I also assume Reich wants the best chance to win games.

And Irsay had to do something.  The boos came out because of  the way the team looked in the second half (not just AV).  A sentimental attitude goes out the window when the mob brings pitchforks to the castle.

9 minutes ago, #12. said:

Of course.  Had Luck not retired or had it not ended the way it did with him being booed, with no formal retirement ceremony, they probably would have asked for or allowed Vinatieri to retire early this season.  After the Luck fiasco, they were walking on eggshells and didn't want to take another hit, didn't want kick a Colt legend, a ring of honor player to the curb several weeks later.

You know it was only 1/100th of the fans left who booed, right.   

If it was a fiasco, it was totally on Luck.   

12 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Since he'll be a FA at season's end, this claim being a move for the future only works if we sign him to a longer contract at some point before season's end.  If not, he's a FA and any team can sign him.

He's an exclusive rights free agent. All the Colts have to do is tender him, and he'll remain under contract, and no other team can negotiate with him. Assuming a new CBA is done, and it doesn't change the rules for non vested players reaching free agency, McLaughlin won't be an unrestricted free agent until 2023, and he won't be eligible to negotiate a new contract with anyone until 2021.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

He's an exclusive rights free agent. All the Colts have to do is tender him, and he'll remain under contract, and no other team can negotiate with him. Assuming a new CBA is done, and it doesn't change the rules for non vested players reaching free agency, McLaughlin won't be an unrestricted free agent until 2023, and he won't be eligible to negotiate a new contract with anyone until 2021.

Ok, thanks.  That makes a big difference.  

1 hour ago, Myles said:

For me, I think his legacy is tarnished a little.   I'll remember him as a great kicker, but I'll also remember his horrible 2019 season.   

Peyton had his bad moments in the 2015 season as well but time will reduce those blemishes. It ultimately depends on whether you want to look and focus mainly at a few dirty spots on a mostly clean canvas painting that has lasted 20 years. It depends purely on perspective.

1 minute ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

If he was injured for that long and struggling we need to reevaluate our coaches.

I don’t think it’s a coaches thing to be honest. You have to remember that these are professional athletes who want to be in the game at all costs. Most of the times the coaches will ask a player how bad the injury is and if they feel they can  go or not. More often than not those players will downplay the injury and try to fight through the pain for the team, It’s not always on the coaches. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Superman said:

The Niners had two kickers active for the last month, due to injury.

We'll see if a move comes, and maybe it does, but I bet AV kicks this week. And the bigger point is that the timing of this move was dictated by the Niners, not the Colts. If they wanted to move on from AV, they could have at any point this season. To me, they claimed a player they wanted, doesn't mean they're ready to shelve AV. 

Again, I could be wrong. 

The other side of the coin is as soon as this guy became available they start talking about AV being injured. Maybe they liked him enough? Oh the speculation. 

33 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

The other side of the coin is as soon as this guy became available they start talking about AV being injured. Maybe they liked him enough? Oh the speculation. 

I thought about that also. But it's not like they couldn't have signed another kicker at any point this year. I'm having a hard time believing that they like McLaughlin so much that his availability is prompting them to shut down AV, if they weren't already leaning in that direction.

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

I thought about that also. But it's not like they couldn't have signed another kicker at any point this year. I'm having a hard time believing that they like McLaughlin so much that his availability is prompting them to shut down AV, if they weren't already leaning in that direction.

Hard to blame vinny 100% when the special teams has been atrocious. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Myles said:

For me, I think his legacy is tarnished a little.   I'll remember him as a great kicker, but I'll also remember his horrible 2019 season.   

I’ve had several of my favorite athletes finish this way. After a few years removed it’s the great moments that take back over. The part of this that is a little different is that his performance has contributed to costing us games and possibly the playoffs. 

13 minutes ago, coltsva said:

I’ve had several of my favorite athletes finish this way. After a few years removed it’s the great moments that take back over. The part of this that is a little different is that his performance has contributed to costing us games and possibly the playoffs. 

yep, the good outweigh the bad.   But from time to time the thought of the bad pops up.   So his legacy IS tarnished a little bit.   Just like Manning.   We still hear people talk about the Denver Superbowl win and include a comment like:

"The Broncos won that in spite of Manning.   Manning could throw the ball and was terrible".

It's true and I think it does "tarnish" his legacy just a hair.  But I still think of him as the best QB of all time.  

2 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

It seems they are trying to save face for AV. But I really think Vinny will have a bitter taste for a long time so I get the feeling he may want to still plan but with another team

Bitter taste for what?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

yep, the good outweigh the bad.   But from time to time the thought of the bad pops up.   So his legacy IS tarnished a little bit.   Just like Manning.   We still hear people talk about the Denver Superbowl win and include a comment like:

"The Broncos won that in spite of Manning.   Manning could throw the ball and was terrible".

It's true and I think it does "tarnish" his legacy just a hair.  But I still think of him as the best QB of all time.  

Bitter taste for what?

How horrible this season for him, he missed a lot of kicks and may want to come back to go out on a good note

19 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

But if they feel AV is ok to kick this week... Then why would they sign the new kicker?

May cause too much controversy during a game having another kicker looking over your shoulder.

this is just a guess, but they probably signed him this week because he became available this week.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Superman said:

So I've seen this a lot, including comments from the broadcast team during the game. Do people believe that AV had a bad game against the Titans?

He missed a 55 yarder. Then two kicks got blocked. I don't think that was a bad game by AV.

And I think this waiver claim is a matter of circumstance, not an indication that they're done with AV and he won't kick anymore this year. The Niners waived a guy who has looked pretty good because Robbie Gould is back. The timing is coincidental, IMO.

AV will get to 600 with the Colts, this year. 

Edit: By the way, the Colts wanted to sign McLaughlin to the PS earlier this year. 

AV was bad in the Tenn game. IMO one of the blocks was a poor kick the first one. AV has not been good this year and when he does go out to kick even an extra point I don't have any confidence in him! Did he lose the Tenn game for the Colts, no but certainly if he had made just one of those kicks it would have helped. I do think he AV lost the Colts 3 games this year, the SD, Pitt, and Mia were games the Colts could of won, and his play hurt the chances in all.

I think this acquisition might very well turn out to be a very timely and rewarding waiver claim.  He certainly has played very well on the two teams he has played for this year.  He also had a great preseason for the Bills who also put in a claim.  If he does the same for the Colts the rest of the way we will probably tender him and he will be the frontrunner to be our new placekicker.  We might have gotten lucky again as we did with Moore last year.  Lets hope so.  

2 hours ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

AV was bad in the Tenn game. IMO one of the blocks was a poor kick the first one. AV has not been good this year and when he does go out to kick even an extra point I don't have any confidence in him! Did he lose the Tenn game for the Colts, no but certainly if he had made just one of those kicks it would have helped. I do think he AV lost the Colts 3 games this year, the SD, Pitt, and Mia were games the Colts could of won, and his play hurt the chances in all.

Vinny lost us the SD and Pitt games, but the Miami loss belongs squarely on the shoulders of one Brian Hoyer and Frank Reich for not even trying Chad Kelley.

4 hours ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

My point is that this has been going on all year. It's not like the TN game was some red flag out of nowhere.

However, today's news makes it seem like AV is actually hurt. So this move might be more prompted by his status than I originally thought. Still, interesting coincidence that McLaughlin is available now... 

9 hours ago, Superman said:

Following up on this:

So by claiming someone who is waived, his exclusive rights carry with it? 

I'm just trying to figure out how he came to the 49ers first, then was waived by them.  It seems like they were simply renting him until Gould came back, which I would think would reflect a player being signed off of the street.  Does he have tenure, so to speak, and was with another club before SF?

Still not sure how his "tenured" rights move to the Colts, but I like it.