Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eric Ebron Injured Reserve

MarquisJ

Good riddens Ebron. 100% zero chance he will be back. Ballard will lock in on a 2nd round Tight end this upcoming draft, Dallas Clark style! Go Blue. 
Ebron will land somewhere else on his feet, hope the hands go with him. We get Funchess and Campbell back, let’s win the next 5 and head into the playoffs with a head of Steam. 

20 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

And he doesn't seem to be the same threat he once was.

To be fair to Doyle, Brissett isn't exactly lighting up anyone's stat sheet.

Usually a QB with Brissetts skill set uses the TE's a lot.   Ebron and Doyle have 60 receptions combined.   I hope Cox and Brissett worked together a lot last year so that he may be an asset with Ebron out.  

Been reading a few of these anti-Ebron comments. I call nonsense on that.  I think he's been an overall positive for the team, and don't understand the bashing. I know he dropped a few this year, but so did every other receiver not named TY Hilton. And in 2018, he was All Pro. I have no idea whether he'll be back or not, but he's been happy to be a Colt, and for the most part, has been a positive locker room presence. I wish him well wherever he ends up.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DownHillRunner said:

You have to ask yourself this, does Ebron want to come back? He was on Twitter months back liking "to the Panthers" tweets from Panthers fans who want him to come to the Panthers. Also,  throwing Frank under the bus in the media for not giving him the ball. 

CAR is probably better off just seeing what Ian Thomas can do.

But I am with you...Ebron's public cries for the ball...and then having that garbage game...really soured me. 

36 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Been reading a few of these anti-Ebron comments. I call nonsense on that.  I think he's been an overall positive for the team, and don't understand the bashing. I know he dropped a few this year, but so did every other receiver not named TY Hilton. And in 2018, he was All Pro. I have no idea whether he'll be back or not, but he's been happy to be a Colt, and for the most part, has been a positive locker room presence. I wish him well wherever he ends up.

I am not anti-Ebron...and last year was fun. But I have never thought he was as good as the player we saw (at times) last year...and I have never thought he was as bad as the guy who drops four passes/game. He's in the middle...an inconsistent (though solid overall) pass-catching TE. And his 2018 production has more than made up for the Colts investment.

But now...it's probably best to move on. In the draft is where you can get that all-around top tier TE...like a Kittle, Kelce, Ertz, Henry, Andrews, Hock etc. It's time that Ballard makes that type of investment (maybe even draft a pair).

41 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This explains why he was struggling this year.

I have a hard time buying this. If he was so hurt why did he blast FR to the press for lack of playing time and lack of targets just a few weeks ago. I would be shocked if he is back next year but I've been wrong a few times in my life, well quite a few.:)

2 hours ago, DEFENSE said:

what is your solution ? or do you even have one?

While the lack of performance is bad, what is more telling to me is the lack of improvement. If we don't see some jumps, I'd move on.

The narrative by some that it's too hard to find a better QB is a bit silly to me. Teams always need to look to improve in areas that aren't performing, and QB is no different. I'm not going to ignore the worst performing area and try to cover it up by improving other areas that are already performing well above average.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

While the lack of performance is bad, what is more telling to me is the lack of improvement. If we don't see some jumps, I'd move on.

The narrative by some that it's too hard to find a better QB is a bit silly to me. Teams always need to look to improve in areas that aren't performing, and QB is no different. I'm not going to ignore the worst performing area and try to cover it up by improving other areas that are already performing well above average.

move on to who?

9 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

I have a hard time buying this. If he was so hurt why did he blast FR to the press for lack of playing time and lack of targets just a few weeks ago. I would be shocked if he is back next year but I've been wrong a few times in my life, well quite a few.:)

That tells you how tough he is and how good of a teammate he is. All he wanted to do is help his team.

Reich just said it didn’t become a issue until last week and it flared up really bad.

He also mentioned finally how losing all the weapons has been really tough.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

move on to who?

Whomever CB chooses to sign.

There are a few QBs in the draft that have better pedigrees and more advanced skill sets coming out of college than JB. And save me "they have no NFL experience and aren't a guarantee" narrative. No rookie does/is, yet we draft several each year who replace starters... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Whomever CB chooses to sign.

There are a few QBs in the draft that have better pedigrees and more advanced skill sets coming out of college than JB. And save me "they have no NFL experience and aren't a guarantee" narrative. No rookie does/is, yet we draft several each year who replace starters... 

i would rather ballard make a deal for a proven talent so we can win now

• Like 1

On how Ebron’s ankle issues evolved:

Reich: “Before last week, I was not aware that there was anything significant. I know there was a time in training camp, before training camp, I think, he had a scan. To the best of my knowledge, the scan was fine — I’m not saying it was 100 percent clean, but it was nothing that was limiting him in practice, it didn’t limit him in training camp, it didn’t limit him in the season or for practice. And then last week sometime, I don’t know if it flared up in practice or if it was a result from a previous game, but that’s really the first time that it was kind of flared up to the point where it affected him as far as practice.”

On if Ebron could’ve tried to wait a week or two and re-evaluate:

Reich: “You know, we talked to Eric through it. This is the decision that Eric, he just felt like he was out of position with how he was feeling to him, that this was what he had to do.”

On if Ebron or the team made the ultimate decision to place him on IR:

Reich: “Well, you know, we talked it through. Obviously we all talked it through together, we all had individual conversations — I had conversations with Eric, Chris had conversations with Eric, doctors — and then at the end of the day this was what was thought to be the best decision.”

https://www.colts.com/news/frank-reich-injury-updates-eric-ebron-ross-travis-ty-hilton-parris-campbell

I read (probably should listen to) what Frank Reich said & he sure didn’t sound (read) as super convinced about the ankle. Said this was the first time hearing about it. Did mention the preseason but sure didn’t read as he was confident (as in he saw this coming at all) in the injury & IR.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Ebron basically shut it down to get healthy for the offseason.  And I similarly wouldn’t be surprised if he’s not brought back. You guys think he feels like JB’s QB’ing & Frank’s play calling are costing him money & he’d be better off just getting healthy?

I’d like to see us let him walk & go get OJ Howard from the Bucs.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I read (probably should listen to) what Frank Reich said & he sure didn’t sound (read) as super convinced about the ankle. Said this was the first time hearing about it. Did mention the preseason but sure didn’t read as he was confident (as in he saw this coming at all) in the injury & IR.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Ebron basically shut it down to get healthy for the offseason.  And I similarly wouldn’t be surprised if he’s not brought back. You guys think he feels like JB’s QB’ing & Franks play calling are costing him money & he’d be better off just getting healthy?

I’d like to see us let him walk & go get OJ Howard from the Bucs.  

I ain't gon lie I sort of feel like you are feeling after reading that.  Sort of felt like he gave up after losing to Houston.  Knows he's a FA next and that the team may not make the playoffs so he shut it down early.  I could be wrong but it seems a bit funny.  I'd be real cool with getting OJ to be honest. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, krunk said:

On how Ebron’s ankle issues evolved:

Reich: “Before last week, I was not aware that there was anything significant. I know there was a time in training camp, before training camp, I think, he had a scan. To the best of my knowledge, the scan was fine — I’m not saying it was 100 percent clean, but it was nothing that was limiting him in practice, it didn’t limit him in training camp, it didn’t limit him in the season or for practice. And then last week sometime, I don’t know if it flared up in practice or if it was a result from a previous game, but that’s really the first time that it was kind of flared up to the point where it affected him as far as practice.”

On if Ebron could’ve tried to wait a week or two and re-evaluate:

Reich: “You know, we talked to Eric through it. This is the decision that Eric, he just felt like he was out of position with how he was feeling to him, that this was what he had to do.”

On if Ebron or the team made the ultimate decision to place him on IR:

Reich: “Well, you know, we talked it through. Obviously we all talked it through together, we all had individual conversations — I had conversations with Eric, Chris had conversations with Eric, doctors — and then at the end of the day this was what was thought to be the best decision.”

https://www.colts.com/news/frank-reich-injury-updates-eric-ebron-ross-travis-ty-hilton-parris-campbell

After reading this is sure sounds like he gave up on the team. I mean there is only five games left. I mean if it did flare up I guess maybe it just got a lot worse but this doesn’t sit well with me.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

i would rather ballard make a deal for a proven talent so we can win now

I'd prefer to grow via the draft. I'd be open to drafting a guy like love, plus bringing in a short term accomplished veteran like Rivers. I'd prefer not going with a retread long term.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

After reading this is sure sounds like he gave up on the team. I mean there is only five games left. I mean if it did flare up I guess maybe it just got a lot worse but this doesn’t sit well with me.

Sounds to me everyone knew about it at training camp but it was something everyone thought he could work through and still play.  Over time it started to become more problematic and last week it reached the point where it was to bad for him to continue.  Even requiring surgery.  That's the kind of result an athlete can get when they push themselves to the point that they eventually hurt themselves more by doing so.   Eventually you can't go on and you have to have the problem taken care of or you risk worsening the situation.  

51 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

move on to who?

Ballard has a list, if Jacoby finishes on top of it they move on to no one.  (Granted Reich wasnt on his list and hes our HC, but im sure he has a list)

Ballard isn't a man without a plan.  Neither him nor Reich will hold to mediocre.  Out here in fan land we have no choice but to watch it play out.  Then we can debate the merits of said plan/move.

They'll never publicly announce, or even say, anything to diminish Jacoby's confidence or value.

I doubt, barring injury, he gets benched even if the playoffs are out of reach.   Hes been pretty good at times this year and I'm sure his growth/evaluation wont be done til the offseason.

The move on to who will become self evident if or when, they move on.  My guess is that Jacoby is under center in 2020 (and I'm ok with that as I assume there will be a leap in performance his second year running this offense).  If he falters there we'll se a #2/developmental QB get a shot. I do think Brisett gets a second year though.

The week to week rollercoaster out here is not indicative of how it will be handled in the building.  We're in pretty good hands.