Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eric Ebron Injured Reserve

MarquisJ

On Ebron specifically

-Regardless of his drops, losing him as a RZ or possession option hurts

-Both he and Doyle have been underutilized all year, so the while it hurts, not a killer

-Not saying he gave up on the year, or the Colts gave up on him, but the timing with the FR conversation is interesting. 

-I think he was a huge advantage when Luck was here, but not with JB.

-Not sure about the IR rules, but why IR and not waive, unless you plan on resigning him. Just keeping him off other teams? Or is the injury that serious.

-For those hoping for a Hale return, won't happen unless the Skins cut him.

-MAC is similar to Ebron. Hope to see what he's got. 

-Ross pick up, meh... Hoping to see a lot more MAC.

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

It’s clear that this was a business decision and wants to be healthy for FA.  Which means he gave up.

He'd be better served trying to improve his numbers for FA. 

If he's having not one, but two procedures, a little harsh given he's likely been playing through pain. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

As far as Brissett goes if he stinks it up this sunday on our home field against the Titans who don't have a very good secondary like he did last Thursday then I believe it will be time to pull the plug and get a 4 game look at Chad Kelly.

Just curious..... do you have a Chad Kelly jersey yet?

Or is Santa bringing you one? (Provided you’ve been a good boy, of course)

12 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

If this team was 8-3 do you really think he would of not waited until after the season.

Dr Chloe please explain the nature of his injuries, and the risk of waiting for treatment. 

3 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

free shipping, get your swag now.

https://fanaticshouse.com/product/chad-kelly-indianapolis-colts-100th-season-game-jersey-blue/?attribute_pa_color=blue&attribute_pa_size=m&utm_source=google_shopping&medium=referral

49 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

i would rather ballard make a deal for a proven talent so we can win now

Who are these proven talents that aren't super old or are better than average that we can get?  I can't think of anyone we could reasonably get I would take over a chance on a rookie (though a couple might be OK 1-2 yr rookie bridges). I would rather role the dice and crash & burn with a rookie than play it safe and be perennially mediocre with some middling talent vet QB. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

If this team was 8-3 do you really think he would of not waited until after the season.

Maybe he didn't have a choice.  Maybe his doctors told him it was best to have surgery now.  FR made it sound like something happened last week that really forced the issue.  I got the impression Eric told them he was good to play and they let him play during the year and last week it got to the point where his injury became much worse.   He couldn't go on.  It sounds very plausible to me. 

1 minute ago, DEFENSE said:

i can agree to that just so we dont waste a season going  with a rookie from day one 

We just invested a season in a third round pick. I'm not saying we had a lot of choice, or it was the wrong decision, but a year nonetheless. Typically when a rookie is drafted, they are going to a team that's either in a rebuild mode, or just plain bad. The Colts actually have a great core. Top 10 OL and RB, and top 10ish D. Rooks would have a much better support system coming here than most teams. Not saying we shouldn't expect growing pains, but they should be minimized.

1 minute ago, esmort said:

Who are these proven talents that aren't super old or are better than average that we can get?  I can't think of anyone we could reasonably get I would take over a chance on a rookie (though a couple might be OK 1-2 yr rookie bridges). I would rather role the dice and crash & burn with a rookie than play it safe and be perennially mediocre with some middling talent vet QB. 

i dont want us to waste a season, play each season like it is the only one, such as the great hoodie does. yes the long term answer may be the draft but dont blow a season while they learn

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

i dont want us to waste a season, play each season like it is the only one, such as the great hoodie does. yes the long term answer may be the draft but dont blow a season while they learn

There is no reason to think if Jacoby finishes his contract and starts next year with a healthy Group to think we will blow the season. Someone posted all the offensive injuries this year and games lost and it’s ridiculous. The most important are the two Jacoby missed when all we needed was a game manager. If we draft a guy and he isn’t ready you role with Jacoby and he finishes out his contract.  

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

This explains why he was struggling this year.

It's interesting to put both guys side by side.  Both Ebron and Luck had a nagging injury/pain in preseason that just wouldn't go away.  Luck decided to hang 'em up.  Ebron chose to try to play through it.  Makes you wonder where Luck would be today if he'd tried to play through his.  Would he be headed to IR as well?

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

It’s clear that this was a business decision and wants to be healthy for FA.  Which means he gave up.

Tosh, balderdash and piffle, this isn't clear at all, it's as usual an uninformed knee jerk reaction. 

You have absolutely no idea what these guys play through, and this especially coming from you when you've stated multiple times now you're "done" with the team. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

That tells you how tough he is and how good of a teammate he is. All he wanted to do is help his team.

Reich just said it didn’t become a issue until last week and it flared up really bad.

He also mentioned finally how losing all the weapons has been really tough.

Reich had a little different take. Said it didn't limit him in practice or games till last week. We will never know.

2 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

No I don't thank you very much but how do you know Kelly isn't good unless you give him a chance with the 1st string offense Brissett is far from the answer and Kelly doesn't hang onto the ball for 50 years until he throw it to the spot that was open but isn't by the time he throws it he has been doing that crap all year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

It's interesting to put both guys side by side.  Both Ebron and Luck had a nagging injury/pain in preseason that just wouldn't go away.  Luck decided to hang 'em up.  Ebron chose to try to play through it.  Makes you wonder where Luck would be today if he'd tried to play through his.  Would he be headed to IR as well?

Who knows Luck made the smart decision for his long term health and let the team move forward without the constant distraction of hey when is Luck coming back is he coming back this year and so on.

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

One thing for sure Luck was honest and came forward. Reich said Ebron had his knee check preseason and all checked out. Said he had no problems practicing or playing till last week. Ebron said he played thru pain since training camp. If Reich is not being truthful let us know.

And by the way,what does Ebron's situation have to do with Luck?

27 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

No I don't thank you very much but how do you know Kelly isn't good unless you give him a chance with the 1st string offense Brissett is far from the answer and Kelly doesn't hang onto the ball for 50 years until he throw it to the spot that was open but isn't by the time he throws it he has been doing that crap all year.

Im just messin with ya cuz u love to throw in the Kelly shots. Kinda like Chloe and Brissett, haha.  Im cool with whatever anyone wants to think.

I do have an opinion on Kelly.  I too was impressed with his mobility, command of the offense, accuracy, “attitude”, etc.  However, it was PS and a very small sample size. I trust the coaches are doing the right thing Brissett/kelly wise.  I just dont think he’s ready to lead this team, even if he has the skills, which we really dont know yet.

And even if he “balls out”, where are his opportunities when we run 11/12 in a series.  Foes he hand off better?

I think we need to determine what we have with Brissett first.  Kelly is still “developmental” to me.  If Jacoby foesnt prove to be “the guy” this year, then next camp u have competition at the QB spot,  whoever may be in that mix.

Somewhere in an alternate universe, Luck is coming off IR to take his starting spot back.

We will likely never know if this was a “business decision” or if the guy’s pain really has increased to the point he can no longer bear it.

What I’m pretty confident in saying is that you can’t blame the ankle for the drops, or Jacoby’s bad passes that made Ebron look like Ebron á la Detroit.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CamMo said:

We will likely never know if this was a “business decision” or if the guy’s pain really has increased to the point he can no longer bear it.

What I’m pretty confident in saying is that you can’t blame the ankle for the drops, or Jacoby’s bad passes that made Ebron look like Ebron á la Detroit.

Lol, nobody needs to explain this!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Im just messin with ya cuz u love to throw in the Kelly shots. Kinda like Chloe and Brissett, haha.  Im cool with whatever anyone wants to think.

I do have an opinion on Kelly.  I too was impressed with his mobility, command of the offense, accuracy, “attitude”, etc.  However, it was PS and a very small sample size. I trust the coaches are doing the right thing Brissett/kelly wise.  I just dont think he’s ready to lead this team, even if he has the skills, which we really dont know yet.

And even if he “balls out”, where are his opportunities when we run 11/12 in a series.  Foes he hand off better?

I think we need to determine what we have with Brissett first.  Kelly is still “developmental” to me.  If Jacoby foesnt prove to be “the guy” this year, then next camp u have competition at the QB spot,  whoever may be in that mix.

Somewhere in an alternate universe, Luck is coming off IR to take his starting spot back.

I think he would find those open chunk plays that Brissett seems to never see.

54 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

I'd be all for taking a good look at Kelly once/if the Colts are bounced from the playoffs.  I think he has shown some potential and is deserving of a look.

Stephen Holder

@HolderStephen

I like Eric Ebron a lot. Good dude. But everything about this situation indicates that his decision to go on injured reserve was a business decision. Frank Reich was very blunt on his conference call earlier today. Sounded * off:

Surprised by Eric Ebron's ankle injury? So were the Colts

At a juncture in the season when the Colts (6-5) are entering must-win mode, they’ll be without one of the few dynamic offensive playmakers.

Called this the minute I saw this this morning. Was p...ed off for lack of playing time utilization  and went public to the press which I am sure didn't enamor the FO or FR. Didn't seem to mesh with the locker room Ballard was striving for. Seems very fishy to me.

24 minutes ago, CamMo said:

What I'm pretty confident in is Ebron playing for a different team in 2020. He just sealed his fate with the Indianapolis Colts. His blocking, or I should say, sad half-hearted attempts at blocking, should be enough for this to be a "thanks for your time, but we are moving in a different direction" quick conversation... and then there is the drops... and the whining about not enough action... and then not delivering when said action came...

Consider me not impressed by Eric Ebron. I have no doubts he is a stellar guy, and probably a great fit for this locker room. I do have serious doubts he is worth what this team paid him.

If it was bad enough for Ebron to get work done on both ankles I won’t question it...but still, seems like a weird situation considering Reich’s demeanor via Holder. 

But meh, I can see why Ebron would want to make a “business decision” if that’s the case. It wasn’t working for him with JB and ever since he liked that friend’s tweet about the Panthers going after him I figured his time here was done.

2 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

If it was bad enough for Ebron to get work done on both ankles I won’t question it...but still, seems like a weird situation considering Reich’s demeanor via Holder. 

But meh, I can see why Ebron would want to make a “business decision” if that’s the case. It wasn’t working for him with JB and ever since he liked that friend’s tweet about the Panthers going after him I figured his time here was done.

If that is the case it shows how selfish and what bad character he has. His years in Detroit have shown up again. He can’t handle adversity. It says a lot when the colts lost to Miami and he said he was happy with getting more playing time. We don’t need guys like him on this team.

18 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

If that is the case it shows how selfish and what bad character he has. His years in Detroit have shown up again. He can’t handle adversity. It says a lot when the colts lost to Miami and he said he was happy with getting more playing time. We don’t need guys like him on this team.

So, first and foremost, I’m okay with Ebron looking out for himself and not playing hurt, especially if he got the idea that we weren’t going to re-sign him. I mean, he was hurt enough to have work done on both ankles, if I were him and I thought I might not get re-signed, I wouldn’t want to chance running myself into the ground either.

But, at the risk of sounding like an armchair psychologist, I could see Ebron being a pretty high and low kinda guy. Like, to his super passionate post game locker room speech after the Chiefs loss, although I get emotions would be high regardless there, to feeling like he’s in a bad situation post Luck and basically wanting to call it this year.