Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eric Ebron Injured Reserve

MarquisJ

34 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Sorry I just seen this. So weird. Maybe this means DF isn’t coming back. So probably no funchess and maybe no Campbell Sunday. This team is a mess.

Yep. Definitely not looking good for Funchess playing on such short notice.

Maybe the plan is to line up with four TE's and hammer Williams up the middle!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1959Colts said:

Yep. Definitely not looking good for Funchess playing on such short notice.

Maybe the plan is to line up with four TE's and hammer Williams up the middle!

We do have a couple players still we can cut. Kelly is still there. We have Milligan and Coley. It could just to see what he does practice this week and they can turn around and cut him at the end of  the week. They don’t have to activate DF really until Friday for him to play Sunday. We will find out if he still has a red contact jersey on in practice We’d.

50 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Stephen Holder

@HolderStephen

I like Eric Ebron a lot. Good dude. But everything about this situation indicates that his decision to go on injured reserve was a business decision. Frank Reich was very blunt on his conference call earlier today. Sounded * off:

Surprised by Eric Ebron's ankle injury? So were the Colts

At a juncture in the season when the Colts (6-5) are entering must-win mode, they’ll be without one of the few dynamic offensive playmakers.

Called this the minute I saw this this morning. Was p...ed off for lack of playing time utilization  and went public to the press which I am sure didn't enamor the FO or FR. Didn't seem to mesh with the locker room Ballard was striving for. Seems very fishy to me.

Sounds logical to me too.

Ebron was “fun” and seems like a nice guy but Ebron is all about himself first.  I always thought , in some ways, he didnt fit the locker room Ballard describes.

Ebron may wanna be able to tell potential suitors he’ll be ready for game 1.
 I wasnt aware he had an ankle problem.  Now it sounds like they both are ready to fall off.

Eric seems tobe the type That rests on their natural abilities.  My gut tells me if he worked like a pro he’d be a perennial pro-bowler.
  Toobad trade deadline is over. Haha

I get that we're Colts fans and people will blame Ebron, but I doubt many from the outside looking in are going to blame him for what he's doing.

I mean, he's hurt, enough to have work done on both ankles. Could he have played through it? Sounds like it was possible. But could he have made things worse? Also, sounds possible. So, if you're him, and you don't think the Colts are going to re-sign you which let's face it, it seems more likely that we would've let him go, would you rather risk further injury or just try to get to free agency and secure a deal?

My theory on it: He’s trying to maximize his FA value and wants to leave Indy. 

- His numbers are down - not really something he can recover from in the remainder of the season with the QB play -  both TDs and Yds

- Andrew Luck was a big reason Ebron came to Indy in the first place. Blaming his subpar play in Detroit on Stafford (which is obviously not true). With the sudden retirement of Luck and Brissetts play this season, it’s clear he’s not going to get the opportunities (and perfectly thrown balls) he wants to be a marque splash TE.

- Colts run the ball 4th most attempts in the NFL and are last in throws beyond 40 yds. See point above. 

- He’s playing to “perceived” injuries to explain his poor numbers this year. Trying to limit the damaging exposure by saying he’s been playing hurt all season; hoping teams see the one handed TD and hurdling players versus the numerous drive stalling 3rd down drops

Ebron is definitely not coming back to Indy. He will probably get signed for too much money by a needy team and be out of the league in 2 to 4 years. Maybe goes to NYG...or the Patriots and becomes an All Pro. Would be the Colts Luck TBH.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I mean, I get that we're Colts fans, but from the outside looking in this seems pretty clear cut to me...

Ebron's hurt, enough to have work done on both ankles. Could he have played through it? Possibly. But could he have made things worse? Also possible. So, if you're him, and you don't think the Colts are going to re-sign you which let's face it, it seems more likely we would've let him go, would you rather risk further injury or just try to get to free agency and secure a deal?

How does this relate to what FR said? Was Frank not tell the whole story? Don't you think he would know he was in such severe pain and would have heard from the medical staff or from Eric himself? Two stories don't add up. Who is not telling the truth? 

31 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

How does this relate to what FR said? Was Frank not tell the whole story? Don't you think he would know he was in such severe pain and would have heard from the medical staff or from Eric himself? Two stories don't add up. Who is not telling the truth? 

According to Holder's tweet, Reich says the team didn't know about an issue until "a week ago"

To Ebron's credit, I went back and checked weekly injury reports. And sure enough, on week 9, Ebron was listed on the injury report with an ankle issue...a DNP on Wednesday of that week...

https://www.colts.com/team/injury-report/week/REG-9

After that, Ebron wasn't listed on the injury report until this past week. So, I think it's just a weird thing. Ebron says/thinks the team has known since week 9 when he was first listed/didn't practice, whereas the team/Reich is thinking, because he wasn't listed a couple weeks in between, that it wasn't a real issue until last week. Also, I don't think the injury report is as black and white as some think. I think at times guys practice/play through stuff and aren't listed with injuries, all the while they may be getting some sort of treatment from the medical staff. I'm curious as to if that's kind of what was going on. Like, those weeks in between 9 and 12, where Ebron wasn't listed, if he was talking to the staff about his ankle/getting it worked on to some degree.

3 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

Tosh, balderdash and piffle, this isn't clear at all, it's as usual an uninformed knee jerk reaction. 

You have absolutely no idea what these guys play through, and this especially coming from you when you've stated multiple times now you're "done" with the team. 

translate please, tosh, balderdash, piffle

21 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

could it be that players who really want to play, keep things from the coach

4 hours ago, Dasteez said:

My theory on it: He’s trying to maximize his FA value and wants to leave Indy. 

- His numbers are down - not really something he can recover from in the remainder of the season with the QB play -  both TDs and Yds

- Andrew Luck was a big reason Ebron came to Indy in the first place. Blaming his subpar play in Detroit on Stafford (which is obviously not true). With the sudden retirement of Luck and Brissetts play this season, it’s clear he’s not going to get the opportunities (and perfectly thrown balls) he wants to be a marque splash TE.

- Colts run the ball 4th most attempts in the NFL and are last in throws beyond 40 yds. See point above. 

- He’s playing to “perceived” injuries to explain his poor numbers this year. Trying to limit the damaging exposure by saying he’s been playing hurt all season; hoping teams see the one handed TD and hurdling players versus the numerous drive stalling 3rd down drops

Ebron is definitely not coming back to Indy. He will probably get signed for too much money by a needy team and be out of the league in 2 to 4 years. Maybe goes to NYG...or the Patriots and becomes an All Pro. Would be the Colts Luck TBH.

Exactly my thoughts. No way he comes back. This is the new reality with our team. Play makers will not want to sign with the colts until there are significant upgrades at the QB position. 

Wonder if DF is complaining a bit more about collar bone pain than what is the case and is simply making a calculation that his stats will look bad if he plays.  

Before JB gets blamed for that also (no receiver wants to play here because of our QB), I gotta wonder if DF/EE get cast off by their original team because of subtle but unprovable attitude/personality issues.

Just now, DougDew said:

Wonder if DF is complaining a bit more about collar bone pain than what is the case and is simply making a calculation that his stats will look bad if he plays.  

Before JB gets blamed for that also (no receiver wants to play here because of our QB), I gotta wonder if DF/EE get cast off by their original team because of subtle but unprovable attitude/personality issues.

I don’t think so. What I have seen from DF he is nothing like EBRON. Players have even mentioned despite him being on IR he has helped them. It’s just a fact his bone didn’t heal so fast. He seemed excited to get back out on the field. But until he is back I won’t believe he is back. We will find out We’d If he is practicing again.  In his case I think he needs to come back to show something for next year no matter who he plays for.  He has to have scans so that would show if it’s healed. He was at all the walkthroughs last week.

11 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Look at the difference in TY and Ebron. TY says he let his team down Thursday. On the plays where Ebron has TD taken away all he says is those were TD. Never once has he said he was sorry for letting the team down and taken responsibility for his dropped passes.

He's always been a me guy.  Clown show. Some teams may look at his business decision unfavorably.  On a  team where he isnt a focus he is a team cancer. 

11 hours ago, Dasteez said:

I didn't read this whole thread yet, so I may not be the first to say this: Wouldn't it have made a lot more sense for EE to claim injuries to both wrists?

On 11/25/2019 at 7:06 AM, ThorstenDenmark said:

Luck made Ebron look great.

Brissett made him look average.

What we need is a QB that can throw our WR and TE's open. Brissett won't throw the ball downfield, which is a big big problem.

Stuff the run and the colts with Brissett is losing the games.

Ebron won't return, no matter how he played last season or how liked he is.

We need healthy players that can help our team and show up every god damm game, not injurie prone players. 

Your right a bout the qb position. lots of receivers in the league don't shine do to crappy passers. I don't know why the Colts are so injury prone. Every year. If they got rid of the oft injured players for this team, they could not field a pickup basketball team.

2 minutes ago, MCurtis32 said:

Your right a bout the qb position. lots of receivers in the league don't shine do to crappy passers. I don't know why the Colts are so injury prone. Every year. If they got rid of the oft injured players for this team, they could not field a pickup basketball team.

That's the nature of the beast. We are far from the only team in the NFL that has a ton of injuries. Guess that is why the NFL is trying to institute new rules to cut back on injuries.

6 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

That's the nature of the beast. We are far from the only team in the NFL that has a ton of injuries. Guess that is why the NFL is trying to institute new rules to cut back on injuries.

and the commisioner whants to extend the season two more games?

12 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Wouldn’t it be funny if Luck came out of retirement next year and he begs to come back and they say no. 

If Luck were to come back, I might re-sign Ebron.  With Brissett, he's pretty useless.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, DougDew said:

DF wasnt cast off, he left to join a better QB.  colts also paid him 10 million

ebron was cast off, he just wasnt good in Detroit 

16 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

DF wasnt cast off, he left to join a better QB.  colts also paid him 10 million

ebron was cast off, he just wasnt good in Detroit 

That's fine.  I think I see a similarity where they go to a team that has a good QB, then sour on the team when the QB leaves. (but I have less of an idea about DF than EE) 

I guess that means they are about gathering stats, if they indeed are souring on the team midseason.

Call it justified or not in terms of maximizing compensation, I just perceive Ballard expecting a little different attitude to be considered getting resigned.

13 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I get that we're Colts fans and people will blame Ebron, but I doubt many from the outside looking in are going to blame him for what he's doing.

I mean, he's hurt, enough to have work done on both ankles. Could he have played through it? Sounds like it was possible. But could he have made things worse? Also, sounds possible. So, if you're him, and you don't think the Colts are going to re-sign you which let's face it, it seems more likely that we would've let him go, would you rather risk further injury or just try to get to free agency and secure a deal?

Being devil's advocate. The fact he made a business decision in the middle of the season and wanting a nice contract might not sit too well. Every player has injuries this time of year. Frank didn't sound convinced. Oh, and the crying about catches instead of focusing on winning.  Then dropping everything when he does get the targets.  Theres a reason this guy will be on team 3 next year. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, #12. said:

If Luck were to come back, I might re-sign Ebron.  With Brissett, he's pretty useless.

As are most receivers that travel down the field more than 10 yards.  Load up on defense, oline, and running backs if we plan to keep JB at QB.  

22 minutes ago, mahagga73 said:

I tend to think this also. But you knew as soon as Jacoby slipped down to what he is , an average QB , it was going to get raw again. 

I am really not sure he can even be considered an average QB anymore.  He is bottom tier in my book.  Is he better than Fitzpatrick?  I don't know, but if he is then it isn't by a large margin.

• Like 1

Luck retired all of two months ago and just turned 30.  Who knows if he ever returns - probably not - but a little more needs to happen to say for certain the ship has sailed.  You own the rights to one of the best QBs in the league and could still potentially get another decade of elite play out of him.  You would be foolish not to meet with him in January and see where he's at.  Before moving forward, I'm sure they will.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

According to Holder's tweet, Reich says the team didn't know about an issue until "a week ago"

To Ebron's credit, I went back and checked weekly injury reports. And sure enough, on week 9, Ebron was listed on the injury report with an ankle issue...a DNP on Wednesday of that week...

https://www.colts.com/team/injury-report/week/REG-9

After that, Ebron wasn't listed on the injury report until this past week. So, I think it's just a weird thing. Ebron says/thinks the team has known since week 9 when he was first listed/didn't practice, whereas the team/Reich is thinking, because he wasn't listed a couple weeks in between, that it wasn't a real issue until last week. Also, I don't think the injury report is as black and white as some think. I think at times guys practice/play through stuff and aren't listed with injuries, all the while they may be getting some sort of treatment from the medical staff. I'm curious as to if that's kind of what was going on. Like, those weeks in between 9 and 12, where Ebron wasn't listed, if he was talking to the staff about his ankle/getting it worked on to some degree.

But if you read his exit statement he states he has been dealing with this all year and he and the colt staff have done everything all year to deal with it. Doesn't square  with Reich's story at all so one is not telling the whole truth. I go back a few weeks ago and EE came out and complained to the press that he was not being utilize much. Not a good thing to go to the press with that and he said nothing about the excruciating pain he was experiencing at the time. I had a bad feeling that that whole story wouldn't end well as it goes counter to the locker room environment Ballard has tried to establish since he has been here.

Going around with the Erick Ebron, 'Superman" shirts or whatever they said was ok but did indicate a narcissistic  person and that type of personality sometimes doesn't do well when things don't go their way . Was a huge complain when he was in Detroit. This could however be all on the team and Reich is in a defensive position of trying to defend the team. I suspect we will never really know for sure.

• Like 1