Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

11 games in!!!!

Moosejawcolt

In the Secondary we've effectively been started 3 rookies (Tell, Willis, and Rock) with good results. So I would say the arrow is pointing up with that group. 

The Linebackers are a solid group nobody can complain there.

The Dline however, is aging, and has several positions that could be improved upon. (Sheard, Hunt, Muhammad)

The biggest needs on this team are on Offense and wide receiver in particular. Brissett isn't ideal but the real question is, Can we find some one better?...

We have a lot of issues that I think is going to take a few more drafts. We have to address the right side of the oline. Whether that is moving smith to guard and draft a RT or we get another guard to replace Glow. We have guys on the dline who are aging. We need to find the future for Houston and Sheard. We need to think of AC replacement for when he retires. WR should be at the top of the list. Then they have to decide whether to keep building this team with Jacoby or go in a new direction.

• Like 1

There is no doubt we need DT help. 

Next would be offensive skill positions, WR, TE, and RB, along with OT depth or development. 

We know those are clear needs, so I would align my board with the value at those positions, not ignoring any clear BPA that fell into my lap of course.

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

The last sentence is the most important.    He looked bad last night.   His worst game by far.   Double clutching every pass,  not trusting what he is seeing.     I think he has really good physical talent,   but he seems gun shy

Agreed.  I think last night was JBs worst game.  He is usually accurate with short passes, but he was even off with those.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

There is no doubt we need DT help. 

Next would be offensive skill positions, WR, TE, and RB, along with OT depth or development. 

We know those are clear needs, so I would align my board with the value at those positions, not ignoring any clear BPA that fell into my lap of course.

You don’t think what Williams has showed he could be a good compliment to Mack. He seems to be the physical RB we have been wanting.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Agreed.  I think last night was JBs worst game.  He is usually accurate with short passes, but he was even off with those.  

He was clearly confused as to what they were showing. That was the first game I have seen that from him. Didn’t look like he was prepared for what they did. We will see if he sees that again if he is able to solve it.

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

You don’t think what Williams has showed he could be a good compliment to Mack. He seems to be the physical RB we have been wanting.

Nah.  I mean, its only been two games, but he's not the between the tackles runner I want.  And Hines doesn't seem to be able to fill the role Reich wants, he just seems to be Mack's breather backup most of the time.

DT help is the priority, then the rest of the draft s/b offensive skill positions, including TE, WR, RB, and OT backup.  They all need upgrading regardless of who the QB is.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

#1 priority is draft a blue chip QB for the future of this franchise. JB is not the answer period..

Finding JBs replacement shouldn't be rushed through for just anyone in the draft or FA. I'm fine with drafting the right guy but I'm not on board with drafting a guy for the sake that hes a QB available in round one. Finding JBs replacement will be much like finding AVs replacement. Who is better? He cant just be slightly better unless you want to draft in the 20s every draft. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, B~Town said:

I see a heavy offensive draft as a need . With our defense and run game even a middle of the road passing game would do wonders for the win loss column.

Safety play looks pretty solid and could be ascending.  Same with the CB play.  Leonard, Walker, and Okerke are fine now if not a very good LB unit, and should get better.  Houston and Sheard are fine, and we have Turay and Ben for the future.   I don't see where the upgrade or more developmental players on D is clearly needed other than the interior.

Offense is a completely different story.  Outside of a 3rd round QB and the WR we drafted seven years ago, our best skill position player is a 4th round RB.  

1 hour ago, indyagent17 said:

Campbell can be that stud receiver. Give the guy a chance. I think our biggest need is defensive tackle we have to get a push up the middle on defense. I also would like to see us bring in a very solid cornerback as well

Even if Campbell  becomes good we need another wr. Hilton getting  old.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Even if Campbell  becomes good we need another wr. Hilton getting  old.

Agreed. Even if the Colts had a strong passing game I think WR is a position that you have to look to address within the first 3 rounds again. I love TY but as a receiver enters their 30s you can't count on them as your #1 receiver for many years. (especially not at 5'9 180 lbs)

Defensive line and offensive tackle are other areas I think the Colts will look to bolster.

1 minute ago, ar7 said:

Agreed. Even if the Colts had a strong passing game I think WR is a position that you have to look to address within the first 3 rounds again. I love TY but as a receiver enters their 30s you can't count on them as your #1 receiver for many years. (especially not at 5'9 180 lbs)

Defensive line and offensive tackle are other areas I think the Colts will look to bolster.

I agree

3 minutes ago, bravo4460 said:

Needs.

1.) WR

2.) QB

3.) Pass Rusher

4.) Interior DL

5.) Secondary Depth

I like it. I'd swap QB to the top just because of the monumental influence the position has on the team. WR is right there with it, and luckily for us many are touting the 2020 crop of WR's as historic. We need Interior Defensive Line players that can legit make a difference, and there's several big time guys in this draft if that's the direction they wanna go early. The 2 guys from Auburn, Brown and Coe, are legit. 

I know it's not a primary need, but a guy like Isaiah Simmons from Clemson would be a game wrecker at LB, and he's dynamic enough to move around, kid's an absolute freak athlete. You could put him from anywhere to 3 and 5 technique all the way back to Safety, he's a legit chess piece that could be used anywhere. 

I know most won't be on board with it, but I'm all for making our move and grabbing Herbert or Eason in the 1st. If you haven't yet, go watch Herbert's tape, kid can spin it, he's perfect for Reich's offense. He's drastically improved this year, only 2 picks on the year with like 25 TDs, and his pretty damn mobile for being 6'6 and 230. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

We have 11 games under our belt. What  direction do the Colts take with regards to free agency and the draft?  Who do we extend, who do we cut and what position do we draft first in  terms of importance and/or need?

Our offense needs are multiple. QB, WR, RB and improved playcalling.

4 hours ago, Shepman said:

So what about Cam Newton with our run game and oline? We have the money and draft capital if needed to trade.

I think Cam leaving Carolina is premature unless they get a boat load of pics.  Thr shine is coming off Allen.

13 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Our offense needs are multiple. QB, WR, RB and improved 

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I think Cam leaving Carolina is premature unless they get a boat load of pics.  Thr shine is coming off Allen.

Nobody is giving up a bunch of draft picks, let alone a 1st Rd pick for Cam. He’s terrible, injury prone and 31. 

Ballard needs to draft a future QB. Unfortunately, a lot of teams need a QB. 

5 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Nobody is giving up a bunch of draft picks, let alone a 1st Rd pick for Cam. He’s terrible, injury prone and 31. 

Ballard needs to draft a future QB. Unfortunately, a lot of teams need a QB. 

If you wanna go that route, just draft Jalen Hurts in the 2nd. At this point he's probably better than Cam. Dude is putting up silly numbers at Oklahoma. 

Just now, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

If you wanna go that route, just draft Jalen Hurts in the 2nd. At this point he's probably better than Cam. Dude is putting up silly numbers at Oklahoma. 

I think the Colts will be in QB purgatory for awhile. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i think QB is the #1 need now too, they may not have to trade up to the top to get one

there could be some good ones in the late first or second round in this class. they may not be day 1 starters though we can afford that now

There's a bunch of good ones. Burrow, Herbert, Fromm, Eason, Love, and Hurts. 

2 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

There's a bunch of good ones. Burrow, Herbert, Fromm, Eason, Love, and Hurts. 

pretty please no Fromm, Eason, or Hurts. 

It would be interesting to see how Ballard grades the QB class. He's proven to go against the grain with several picks.

This is partial a copy of what I just posted in another thread...

OK, these are positions I feel the greatest sense of urgency to upgrade in the upcoming draft and FA period (today 2019 11-23): The exact order is a rough approximation and not wholly refined in my thoughts yet.

#1 NT (Rush)

#2 RT

#3 DE (Rush)

#4 WR-2

#5 UT (Rush)

#6 TE-1

#7 WR-3

#8 K

#9 QB-2

#10 LT-2

#11 SS-2

There is two glaring needs with this team. I mean it so obvious, but will they address them or will it be business as usual.

Number one QB-1. Sorry Jacoby is not the answer. Why is he not throwing the ball downfield? Are they not calling these downfield passing plays? Is he physically hurt? Is his feelings hurt? I don’t know, but he’s not the answer.

Number two WR-1. Ty is the man when healthy. But the last few seasons Ty injuries are fatal to this team. And it seems like every year it is getting worse.

Upgrades are needed in right guard and pass rush. But those guys are not improving the 52 yards by WR group 

7 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

I like Eason quite a bit. He's probably my 3rd favorite for us to bring in after 1)Burrow and 2)Herbert.

Eason has had some real duds. IIRC Stanford, Cal, and OrSt. I watched both the Stanford and Cal games and he looked pretty awful. 

His best game was vs Oregon in a loss, but while O has a decent D, their passing D isn't near what their rush D is. 

• Like 1

Just now, EastStreet said:

Eason has had some real duds. IIRC Stanford, Cal, and OrSt. I watched both the Stanford and Cal games and he looked pretty awful. 

His best game was vs Oregon in a loss, but while O has a decent D, their passing D isn't near what their rush D is. 

It's his first year starting, he's basically a freshman. He has all of the tools, he's basically Justin Herbert last year. With refinement I think he can be a stud, luckily we could let him sit for a year if he needed it. He's looked better than Jordan Love, and against much better competition. 

If they're gonna take a QB in the first, depending on where we ultimately end up picking from, I'll say 17th or so...we will likely have to trade up to get Herbert, and would definitely have to to get Burrow. Best case scenario is that Tua falls to us, makes a full recovery, and we get a 1st overall pick QB selection for a major discount. We might have to wait a year, or 8-10 games, but to have a franchise guy I'm all in. He's basically Russell Wilson, he has an amazing deep ball and is extremely accurate, he rarely makes mistakes.