Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Frank was bad tonight

EastStreet

I am still glad he’s the coach but he was awful tonight.

Too conservative and predictable on offense.  

Then he gets aggressive on a third and four and has them go down the field.

Then he called the same first down play all night and at the end the Texans stopped it for 2, then 2 more, and then no gain.  He has to mix that up.  Try a play action pass it should be deadly with the Colts running game.

Then they were indecisive on the fourth down play wasting a timeout.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Law of averages caught up.... 

Offensive game plan was the biggest culprit...  With a team that is bottom five in both passing D and total QB pressure, what do we do.. With a team who is missing arguably their best DB and many more DBs hobbled, what do we do.... It's more what we don't do.

Throw the damn ball. 

Is it just ego from Reich, or distrust in Brissett? We had plenty of misses on open pass catchers. Doyle several times was wide stinking open. The announcers commented on a few guys running free down the sideline, one late when JB ran and failed to convert. 

Someone laughed at me when I said I fear Fuller more than Hopkins (during the first match up). Luckily Fuller went out injured early that game. He sure made an impact tonight... You know who you are lol... 

Very good possibility this costs us the post season.... It never should have been close.

We messed up when we didn't  keep running  after it was working 

I agree with the people that are upset at Ballard, I agree with the people that are upset with Brissett and I even agree with the people that are upset with Reich.  I think this whole organization is kind of pathetic.  I guess the only people I disagree with are the one's that are claiming everything is fine and that all of this is great and wonderful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, ColtsFan_98 said:

I agree with the people that are upset at Ballard, I agree with the people that are upset with Brissett and I even agree with the people that are upset with Reich.  I think this whole organization is kind of pathetic.  I guess the only people I disagree with are the one's that are claiming everything is fine and that all of this is great and wonderful.

One loss and the whole organization is kind of pathetic?  There's over-reaction, then there's this.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Stephen said:

We messed up when we didn't  keep running  after it was working 

No. Just no.... You TTDB vs a team this bad vs the pass and this bad pressuring the QB. And X10 when their DBs are out and banged up. It's a formula that actually worked the first time we played them.

6 minutes ago, ColtsFan_98 said:

I am not going to call them pathetic, the Bengals are pathetic.

6 minutes ago, ColtsFan_98 said:

I'm not mad at Ballard or Reich ,brisett was forced upon them .Hes clearly not good enough If you want to be a champion 

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

No. Just no.... You TTDB vs a team this bad vs the pass and this bad pressuring the QB. And X10 when their DBs are out and banged up. It's a formula that actually worked the first time we played them.

We should  have  blitzed more.  This season was messed  up front the start

20 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Offensive game plan was the biggest culprit...  With a team that is bottom five in both passing D and total QB pressure, what do we do.. With a team who is missing arguably their best DB and many more DBs hobbled, what do we do.... It's more what we don't do.

Throw the damn ball. 

Is it just ego from Reich, or distrust in Brissett? We had plenty of misses on open pass catchers. Doyle several times was wide stinking open. The announcers commented on a few guys running free down the sideline, one late when JB ran and failed to convert. 

Someone laughed at me when I said I fear Fuller more than Hopkins (during the first match up). Luckily Fuller went out injured early that game. He sure made an impact tonight... You know who you are lol... 

Very good possibility this costs us the post season.... It never should have been close.

I’m putting this one on the Defense. The defensive play calling was absolutely terrible, they really sent three at Watson and expected to generate pressure. We allowed Watson to pick us apart. Too many defensive assignments blown, just an overall poor gameplay defensively and they didn’t adjust the second half. Their should have been more blitz’s being sent at Watson. Especially given the fact that you have a rookie in Tell who runs a 4.57 one on one with Fuller who runs a 4.3. They allowed Watson to sit their and let routes develop, instead of harassing him. 

• Like 2

Bad thread. 

The play calling was fine, if maybe a bit vanilla, but if you want to be a run first team... I want the team to run the ball as that utilizes the O lines advantage.

I also want a QB who can actually throw the ball vertically when it's required and almost none of that happened. Who's that on? Frank is too old to play QB.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I don't think it's Reich's ego. I thought this was the most telling game in terms of what Reich thinks of our passing game right now.

There was one play specifically, one of TY's drops, where he was wide open coming out of the break. The problem is, Brissett rarely hits receiver's coming out of their breaks. And that's been a recurring theme with him.

Both of the misses to TY... The first was good coverage and we had open other options (if anyone could pull all-22, big thanks). The second was a bad throw. If he was led at all it would have been an easy completion.

11 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Exactly....I think it's more of a trust issue...you can't tell me going against defense who secondary is trash and we can't even put up 200 yards passing? Just pathetic

Houston's secondary is month old trash in the hot sun. Such a fail.....

8 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

The excuses for JB after this game should be entertaining, to say the least

Not many excuses for him tonight.... They may try to blame TY... good luck with that... 

4 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I’m sorry, it’s not just been tonight. It’s happened more than people seem to want to acknowledge this season. I like him, and he’s better than Pagano, but there’s still plenty that could be improved with him and I just don’t see it. 

The title of this thread was changed. I think it's more FR's lack of trust in JB, than him being a "bad" play caller / game planner. That's why I mentioned ego. Either it's total lack of confidence, or he though he was so smart he could win despite having to throw it on the road. 

Both the running game and D traveled. The D wasn't perfect, but they held Houston under 100 rushing, and got a passing turnover (held Watson to less yards than the first game IIRC).

4 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

I’m putting this one on the Defense. The defensive play calling was absolutely terrible, they really sent three at Watson and expected to generate pressure. We allowed Watson to pick us apart. Too many defensive assignments blown, just an overall poor gameplay defensively and they didn’t adjust the second half. Their should have been more blitz’s being sent at Watson. Especially given the fact that you have a rookie in Tell who runs a 4.57 one on one with Fuller who runs a 4.3. They allowed Watson to sit their and let routes develop, instead of harassing him. 

Nahhh... We held them to under 100 rushing, and held Watson (at home) to less yards than the first game. We also INT'd him. Could they have been better, sure, but we held them to 20pts in their own house. This was clearly an O fail. I do agree Flus should have dialed up more pressure, but we lost because of the O gameplan.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Throw the damn ball. 

Crap.  D played well.  Running game was very good. It's simple, the qb failed to make a pass or the wrs failed to get open and/or   possibly a combination of  both. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Bad thread. 

The play calling was fine, if maybe a bit vanilla, but if you want to be a run first team... I want the team to run the ball as that utilizes the O lines advantage.

I also want a QB who can actually throw the ball vertically when it's required and almost none of that happened. Who's that on? Frank is too old to play QB.

The pass / run mix or ratio is play calling... we beat Houston with a 40 pass 26 rush mix, and just lost with a 25 pass 39 rush mix. 

If the play calling was fine tonight, they conversely you're saying the play calling was bad when we beat them.

I agree we need a QB that can go vertical.... 

4 minutes ago, The Fish said:Bad thread. 

you dont keep calling the same first down play over and over when the other team in sitting on it and stopping it because they know it’s coming.  The Colts had three first down plays that last drive.  All the same play got two yards, two yards, and no yards.  Throw in a play action pass and catch them sitting on the play.  

The Colts also called short passes all night until third and four and then went down the field.  That’s not the spot in the game to do that.  

The waisting of a timeout because they were too indecisive on the fourth down play call is also on the coach.  

I love Frank as much as the next person but his game plan tonight was bad.  It went away from worked so well against the Texans the first time and unlike the Jags game where the running was easy it seemed forced tonight and while effective at times it was not dominating to lean on it as heavy as they did.  

Jacoby has shown at times this season he can go down the field, like the first half of the first Texans game this year.  Why the Colts didn’t try that was madding. 

So yes Frank was awful tonight.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Both of the misses to TY... The first was good coverage and we had open other options (if anyone could pull all-22, big thanks). The second was a bad throw. If he was led at all it would have been an easy completion.

Houston's secondary is month old trash in the hot sun. Such a fail.....

Not many excuses for him tonight.... They may try to blame TY... good luck with that... 

The title of this thread was changed. I think it's more FR's lack of trust in JB, than him being a "bad" play caller / game planner. That's why I mentioned ego. Either it's total lack of confidence, or he though he was so smart he could win despite having to throw it on the road. 

Both the running game and D traveled. The D wasn't perfect, but they held Houston under 100 rushing, and got a passing turnover (held Watson to less yards than the first game IIRC).

I can’t buy that it’s just a lack of trust in him. He trusted him with a hairbrained playcall on 3rd and 4 that saw Jacoby make a deep throw to Hilton rather than something to keep the chains moving and the drive alive. There was another one in the first quarter. Manageable 3rd down. 4 or 5 yards. They call a play to Ebron on a 2 yard route. Of course Brissett never looked at anyone else, and was tackled immediately making it 4th down. 

And that’s not the first time that has happened this season. Or even this month. 

There was one game this season where Jacoby went through progressions to make the right pass after the snap: the game against Houston. He had his best game as a pro that day. 

Since then his neck has been rusted shut. How is it our head coach, a guy who was a damn good quarterback in his day, hasn’t stepped up and emphasized that Brissett play that way every week?

I think there is a certain lack of faith in Brissett, but I think that’s just another page in the whole story. 

There’s just too much pointing to more than just that at this point. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

you dont keep calling the same first down play over and over when the other team in sitting on it and stopping it because they know it’s coming.  The Colts had three first down plays that last drive.  All the same play got two yards, two yards, and no yards.  Throw in a play action pass and catch them sitting on the play.  

The Colts also called short passes all night until third and four and then went down the field.  That’s not the spot in the game to do that.  

The waisting of a timeout because they were too indecisive on the fourth down play call is also on the coach.  

I love Frank as much as the next person but his game plan tonight was bad.  It went away from worked so well against the Texans the first time and unlike the Jags game where the running was easy it seemed forced tonight and while effective at times it was not dominating to lean on it as heavy as they did.  

Jacoby has shown at times this season he can go down the field, like the first half of the first Texans game this year.  Why the Colts didn’t try that was madding. 

If someone has to be called awful, I'm going Jacoby. Running the ball on first down was an attempt at controlling the clock, as Watson had the potential to just flick the ball down the field for large successful plays. So no, Frank was trying to keep the offense balanced and the Texans off the field, which largely worked. 

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

He keeps choking in big games. I don’t know what else to say.

Please they beat KC on the road went on a crazy win streak last year that included winning on Houston twice including the playoffs and they shut out the Cowboys at home.  Frank was bad tonight but let’s not over react and act like he’s a bad coach who can’t get it done.

• Like 3

Just now, The Fish said:

If someone has to be called awful, I'm going Jacoby. Running the ball on first down was an attempt at controlling the clock, as Watson had the potential to just flick the ball down the field for large successful plays. So no, Frank was trying to keep the offense balanced and the Texans off the field, which was largely worked. 

When the other team is clearly sitting on it and stuffing it it’s not working and it means you need to do something else, ideally something that will take advantage of them sitting on that play call.  

As good as the Colts ground game is I don’t understand why they never run playaction.  It should kill teams.  

Also, for all the talk about Jacoby remember when they leaned on him in the first match up and he threw it around the yard and the Colts won.  Tonight they leaned on the run and lost.  There was no reason for the Colts to abandon the game plan that worked so well against the Texans the first time other than to force the run which again while effective at times tonight was not what it was a week ago to justify calling it nearly 40 times and not trying to get balance which is what NFL teams look for.  

33 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I am still glad he’s the coach but he was awful tonight.

Too conservative and predictable on offense.  

Then he gets aggressive on a third and four and has them go down the field.

Then he called the same first down play all night and at the end the Texans stopped it for 2, then 2 more, and then no gain.  He has to mix that up.  Try a play action pass it should be deadly with the Colts running game.

Then they were indecisive on the fourth down play wasting a timeout.  

That 3rd and 4 wasn't a bad call.  It wasn't the greatest throw and the DB barely got a hand on it, but TY could definitely have caught that ball.  

5 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Crap.  D played well.  Running game was very good. It's simple, the qb failed to make a pass or the wrs failed to get open and/or   possibly a combination of  both. 

A major play in the game was Hines dropping a ball which Brissett placed almost perfectly, it would've been likely at least a 12-15 yard play.  That wasn't on Brissett.  To be honest, I thought Jacoby had a pretty good game overall.  He didn't make many poor decisions (maybe missed a few open guys but he gave us a chance to win).

My biggest beef tonight was us calling a timeout with 3 min left on 4th and 7.  We had 3 TO's left and could have either just punted, pinned them deep with 2 min 50 sec left and had an opportunity to make them beat us with essentially 4 TO's (the 2 min warning plus 3 timeouts we had). 

We undoubtedly need another WR to help take pressure off TY.  TY was playing less than 100% I'm sure but he had one of the worst games I have seen him have as a Colt.  I wish they replayed the deep ball which Brissett and TY obviously had a miscommunication on (the one Brissett threw about 40 yards down the field to nobody, I think TY cut inside rather than up the field).

Oh well, not our best game.  But the world's not over.  We're still very much in the playoff hunt and we should be getting some key players back very soon.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Totally disagree.

Just now, CurBeatElite said:

That 3rd and 4 wasn't a bad call.  It wasn't the greatest throw and the DB barely got a hand on it, but TY could definitely have caught that ball.  

A major play in the game was Hines dropping a ball which Brissett placed almost perfectly, it would've been likely at least a 12-15 yard play.  That wasn't on Brissett.  To be honest, I thought Jacoby had a pretty good game overall.  He didn't make many poor decisions (maybe missed a few open guys but he gave us a chance to win).

My biggest beef tonight was us calling a timeout with 3 min left on 4th and 7.  We had 3 TO's left and could have either just punted, pinned them deep with 2 min 50 sec left and had an opportunity to make them beat us with essentially 4 TO's (the 2 min warning plus 3 timeouts we had). 

We undoubtedly need another WR to help take pressure off TY.  TY was playing less than 100% I'm sure but he had one of the worst games I have seen him have as a Colt.  I wish they replayed the deep ball which Brissett and TY obviously had a miscommunication on (the one Brissett threw about 40 yards down the field to nobody, I think TY cut inside rather than up the field).

Oh well, not our best game.  But the world's not over.  We're still very much in the playoff hunt and we should be getting some key players back very soon.  

Think you’re talking about the pass to Johnson on the miscommunication 

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Totally disagree.

So you think handing it in to the middle or the line three first downs in a row on the last drive and getting two yards, two yards, and no yards was the right call?

You don’t have a problem with the indecisiveness on the fourth down call that caused them to burn a costly timeout?

• Like 2