Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Frank was bad tonight

EastStreet

Gonna be great when the team is 8-1 making a playoff push next year with --insert generic 2020 NFL Draft quarterback-- and everyone's all like "Man, Chris Ballard is the best GM in the business" and "Reich is an offensive mastermind".

Jacoby Brissett is beyond limited, it's funny that people wanna blame Reich for JB not being a good player. Reich can't call the play AND make the read AND throw to whichever receiver is open. 2/3 of that is on the QB. There are things called "reads" on passing plays...we have a guy playing quarterback that is horribly inefficient at progressing through those reads, so bad in fact that it's like he doesn't even have a neck, his head is just stapled in one direction.

This. Is. Not. Frank. Reich's. Fault. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Gonna be great when the team is 8-1 making a playoff push next year with --insert generic 2020 NFL Draft quarterback-- and everyone's all like "Man, Chris Ballard is the best GM in the business" and "Reich is an offensive mastermind".

Jacoby Brissett is beyond limited, it's funny that people wanna blame Reich for JB not being a good player. Reich can't call the play AND make the read AND throw to whichever receiver is open. 2/3 of that is on the QB. There are things called "reads" on passing plays...we have a guy playing quarterback that is horribly inefficient at progressing through those reads, so bad in fact that it's like he doesn't even have a neck, his head is just stapled in one direction.

No but calling the same run play all night on first down and three times on the last drive getting two, two, and zero yards when the Texans are clearly sitting on it, abandoning the game plan that worked so well vs the Texans the first time and being indecisive on the fourth down play call costing them a huge time out is.

14 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I can’t buy that it’s just a lack of trust in him. He trusted him with a hairbrained playcall on 3rd and 4 that saw Jacoby make a deep throw to Hilton rather than something to keep the chains moving and the drive alive. There was another one in the first quarter. Manageable 3rd down. 4 or 5 yards. They call a play to Ebron on a 2 yard route. Of course Brissett never looked at anyone else, and was tackled immediately making it 4th down. 

And that’s not the first time that has happened this season. Or even this month. 

There was one game this season where Jacoby went through progressions to make the right pass after the snap: the game against Houston. He had his best game as a pro that day. 

Since then his neck has been rusted shut. How is it our head coach, a guy who was a damn good quarterback in his day, hasn’t stepped up and emphasized that Brissett play that way every week?

I think there is a certain lack of faith in Brissett, but I think that’s just another page in the whole story. 

There’s just too much pointing to more than just that at this point. 

In terms of the play to Hilton. That play didn't have to go to Hilton, and the play call itself was later when we were playing from behind and had to start passing. Bad JB is part of Bad Frank IMO... 

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

No but calling the same run play all night on first down and three times on the last drive getting two, two, and zero yards when the Texans are clearly sitting on it, abandoning the game plan that worked so well vs the Texans the first time and being indecisive on the fourth down play call costing them a huge time out is.

What else is he gonna do? His quarterback is a joke, he's down to a practice squad running back (that the oline is making look like Eric Dickerson), it's all that's left lol. 

"Let's call another pass play, so Jacoby can misread it and pump fake and scramble for a yard". No. At least the RB has a prayer to gain yardage. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Why was Doyle on the sideline on that 4th and 7. He is always good in places like that.

You have no business ever laughing at anything I post. Ever. Especially when you've sat and pumped up Brissett for the last 10 weeks. 98% of your posts are laugh-worthy. Go put on your Jacoby Brissett jersey dude. 

4 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

What else is he gonna do? His quarterback is a joke, he's down to a practice squad running back (that the oline is making look like Eric Dickerson), it's all that's left lol. 

"Let's call another pass play, so Jacoby can misread it and pump fake and scramble for a yard". No. At least the RB has a prayer to gain yardage. 

That practice squad running back you speak of has impressed the hell out of me the last couple of games.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Jacoby isn’t as bad as some want him to be.  He’s not Luck or Manning and never will be but he’s shown at times this year, including the first Texans game, he can throw it around the yard.

i still think Jacoby is a game manager who can make something out of nothing so yes the Colts could do better at QB than him but they could also do far worse.  I saw someone else in this thread call him average and I’d agree.

15 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

So you think handing it in to the middle or the line three first downs in a row on the last drive and getting two yards, two yards, and no yards was the right call?

You don’t have a problem with the indecisiveness on the fourth down call that caused them to burn a costly timeout?

No one is perfect but man oh man, this passing game was horrible.  A few good passes along  with how the D played and the way they ran the ball and they win this game. Reichs supposed deficiencies pale in comparison to the horrible qb play. 

4 minutes ago, ojsglove said:

Ty's remark, "I don't have to practice" speaks volumes.

I think that was more in response to he wasn’t going to say missing practice was an excuse.  He clearly took responsibility when he said those drops were on him and he’s why they lost.  I take his comment to mean more like not practicing isn’t excuse for his performance tonight than to mean he really doesn’t think he has to practice.

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

No one is perfect but man oh man, this passing game was horrible.  A few good passes along  with how the D played and the way they ran the ball and they win this game. Reichs supposed deficiencies pale in comparison to the horrible qb play. 

And it would have been nice had Frank given Jacoby a few more chances to make some throws.  Again, why the Colts never run a play action pass is beyond me.  Maybe Jacoby wouldn’t hit it but I’d at least like to see him get the chance.

i agree no one is perfect which is why while I didn’t like Frank’s game plan tonight I am not willing to say he’s a bad coach or anything.  He had a bad day at the office it happens.  

To say we should have done more of what we can't and less of what we can is silly. 

I think this game really exposed our passing game issues.  Even when we ran play action and everyone bit, we still couldn't get something down field.  Reich is scheming what he can with what we have.  

38 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

"Reich has really improved his playcalling"

17 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

And it would have been nice had Frank given Jacoby a few more chances to make some throws.  Again, why the Colts never run a play action pass is beyond me.  Maybe Jacoby wouldn’t hit it but I’d at least like to see him get the chance.

i agree no one is perfect which is why while I didn’t like Frank’s game plan tonight I am not willing to say he’s a bad coach or anything.  He had a bad day at the office it 

I think people forget that Brissett is a former 3rd round pick.  I mean Daniels and Bellicheck let him go for Dorsett.  I so badly want Brissett to succeed.  I think he is a hell of a person.  However, I think we have seen enough games to fully see what he is and what he is capable of becoming. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I think people forget that Brissett is a former 3rd round pick.  I mean Daniels and Bellicheck let him go for Dorsett.  I so badly want Brissett to succeed.  I think he is a hell of a person.  However, I think we have seen enough games to fully see what he is and what he is capable of becoming. 

To me it depends on what you expect from Jacoby, some keep trying to compare him to Luck or Manning and are waiting for him to turn into an elite QB.

i never expected that from him so I am not disappointed that he’s not.  I see him as a game manager who can make good things happen out of nothing.  That can be an effective QB in the NFL but he has to have the right team around him.  I think the Colts are close to that but still need more help in the WR area and more seasoning on defense.  

As for Frank if others thought he did a good job tonight then that’s fine.  I just didn’t like the game plan and I really didn’t like the last series but maybe that’s just me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

To me it depends on what you expect from Jacoby, some keep trying to compare him to Luck or Manning and are waiting for him to turn into an elite QB.

i never expected that from him so I am not disappointed that he’s not.  I see him as a game manager who can make good things happen out of nothing.  That can be an effective QB in the NFL but he has to have the right team around him.  I think the Colts are close to that but still need more help in the WR area and more seasoning on defense.  

As for Frank if others thought he did a good job tonight then that’s fine.  I just didn’t like the game plan and I really didn’t like the last series but maybe that’s just me.

Never compared him to Luck or Manning.  I just think he is a good back up.  I don't think he is starting qb material.  I think we have enough evidence in film.  I also think we will lose against the Titans.  They have a good D and we can't rely on Marriott's to lose the game for them.

Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

Never compared him to Luck or Manning.  I just think he is a good back up.  I don't think he is starting qb material.  I think we have enough evidence in film.  I also think we will lose against the Titans.  They have a good D and we can't rely on Marriott's to lose the game for them.

I didn’t say you did but some seem to keep waiting for him to turn into an elite QB.  He’s not that.  He’s what Frank said he was a top 20 QB.  That’s about what a game manager is.  So that’s what I expected him to be.

Play calling is and has been horrible, yet predictable. We rarely throw downfield cause we get zero separation from our receivers. We usually rush 3 to 4 guys, leaving 7 to 8 to defend the pass ---that we still can't defend with those 7 or 8. Can't blame Vinateri or penalties on this one...... how about blaming Coaching, play calling. Remember, this is the same team that scored 12 points, at home, against the God awful Dolphins. Nice job Frank

1 hour ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

It's both. They both can be true.

Reich called the exact opposite game plan that won it for us earlier this year. Calling 40-25 pass run then 25-39 ish plan tonight against their passing D and injuries is just plain silly.

QB play was also bad....

And I agree with your first paragraph. It's funny that those who worship at the alter of Ballard are mostly the same guys that are dug in on Brissett.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Law of averages caught up.... 

Offensive game plan was the biggest culprit...  With a team that is bottom five in both passing D and total QB pressure, what do we do.. With a team who is missing arguably their best DB and many more DBs hobbled, what do we do.... It's more what we don't do.

Throw the damn ball. 

Is it just ego from Reich, or distrust in Brissett? We had plenty of misses on open pass catchers. Doyle several times was wide stinking open. The announcers commented on a few guys running free down the sideline, one late when JB ran and failed to convert. 

Someone laughed at me when I said I fear Fuller more than Hopkins (during the first match up). Luckily Fuller went out injured early that game. He sure made an impact tonight... You know who you are lol... 

Very good possibility this costs us the post season.... It never should have been close.

Like I said in the other thread IMO he doesn't trust Brissett as much as he's letting on. Judge him by his deeds, not by his words. Look at what plays he calls and what type of offense he's running. Compare to what he said he wants to run when he came to the Colts. To me it's obvious he's trying to protect Brissett and trying to take the ball out of his hands. And to compound that because of his distrust in Brissett he starts making suboptimal playcalls. even for a QB of Brissett's caliber. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

Like I said in the other thread IMO he doesn't trust Brissett as much as he's letting on. Judge him by his deeds, not by his words. Look at what plays he calls and what type of offense he's running. Compare to what he said he wants to run when he came to the Colts. To me it's obvious he's trying to protect Brissett and trying to take the ball out of his hands. And to compound that because of his distrust in Brissett he starts making calling suboptimal plays. even for a QB of Brissett's caliber. 

I agree, but it's still silly to totally call the opposite game plan you with earlier this year. 

I hope reporters ask him about the flip flop.

I'm sure he'll Q the coach speak. "Houston played a great game. We didn't execute" lol... 

It sounds odd, but In some ways our success (relative) running the ball appears to hurt us.

We seem to be so into running that we almost ignore the pass.

Im very confused about this team at the moment so im gonna just get my mind off football for a lil while.

Overall, i like the roster, i like the general schemes, but you HAVE to try to get a few chunk plays a game.  Youve gotta press it down the field.

As well as we do run the ball, we are not helping the effort at all by not pressing, or even so little play-action.

31 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I didn’t say you did but some seem to keep waiting for him to turn into an elite QB.  He’s not that.  He’s what Frank said he was a top 20 QB.  That’s about what a game manager is.  So that’s what I expected him to be.

That wasn't a game manger tonight.  That was bad qb play.  Teams r seeing JB for the 2nd time. They played a lot of zone.  He was flustered.  I really think this team is going to struggle down the stretch.

there toward the end, we take williams out, ok that's fine, but don't telegraph what you are going to do on the next play, my grandma knew hines was going to run the ball when he strolls in the game there and lines up single-back.... I am screaming at the tv at that point because it was so obvious what they were going to do...and bam, they shut it down .... critical juncture...  but worse is at 3:00 mark, with 3 time-outs and 2-minute warning, we don't try to punt & pin them deep, we go for it on 4th down at Houston 47, game.  

Game was one blown coverage and one TY drop (and an ebron route?) away.   It was disappointing but hardly shocking, or an embarrassment.

Lost on the road, on a short week to the best (2nd best?)  team in the division, which splits the series.......this team plays tight games,  cant always win those.  Sorry, it happens.

I actually think they're overachieving rather than under.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, coltfaninnewyork said:

Romeo outcoached Reich ,period.

Not really. Colts offense could have had their way with that pass defense but we chose not to, that’s why we lost. I heard a Texans beat writer on ESPN radio tell our local radio guy that I’d keep throwing till they can show they can stop you. You don’t have to exactly do it that way but could have dictated the score more with the passing game.

The way the defense was playing with all the injuries, it’s possible they wanted to keep their legs fresh on a short week by running more. However, the play action off the good running never came and wasn’t done enough to help exploit their pass D.

In the total scheme of things, I think Frank is a very good coach, and Ballard has done a good job as GM. The loss of Luck was huge, because with him it could have been a Super Bowl contender. The overall talent on the Colts roster, particularly the defense , is much better than past Colt teams. I think it’s fair to say that the Colts have had more injuries than most teams. 
I think JB is a QB in the style of Joe Flacco. You can win with a good game manager , but he’s no Andrew Luck. With game managers you must have a good o line, running game , and good receivers. You have elements of all of these. 
The playoffs are still within reach, as the Texans are shaky. Long term, if I were Ballard, I would be looking to draft a young QB. I’m thinking Ballard held onto draft picks and didn’t trade this year  , to possibly move up in the draft, if the right QB presented himself. 

• Like 2

I'm getting tired the telegraphing the run! They send Doyle in motion to the end of the RT and then come back in a little bit and then run it....it happened all night long!! 

Then after it gets stuffed, they try throwing it. 

Pretty maddening to watch when any basic * (me) can see what plays the offense is going to run. 

9 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Law of averages caught up.... 

Offensive game plan was the biggest culprit...  With a team that is bottom five in both passing D and total QB pressure, what do we do.. With a team who is missing arguably their best DB and many more DBs hobbled, what do we do.... It's more what we don't do.

Throw the damn ball. 

Is it just ego from Reich, or distrust in Brissett? We had plenty of misses on open pass catchers. Doyle several times was wide stinking open. The announcers commented on a few guys running free down the sideline, one late when JB ran and failed to convert. 

Someone laughed at me when I said I fear Fuller more than Hopkins (during the first match up). Luckily Fuller went out injured early that game. He sure made an impact tonight... You know who you are lol... 

Very good possibility this costs us the post season.... It never should have been close.

I also shared your view on Fuller....  and saw this coming 

• Thanks 1

I am starting to question whether JB has it.  He is way too hesitant to throw the ball for chunk plays.  In this day and age, you need those yards.  Yes, the receiver corps is one of the weakest in the NFL, but ...

Ballard & Reich have done a good job however, the team is not as close as they want you to believe.

We need to find out if JB's willing and able to throw the ball downfield with some success.  If not, ????

Spend some of your cap $$$ on a truly good WR, quit being cheap Ballard and maybe, just maybe we can find a QB in next years draft.

Otherwise, we will be no more than a wish and hope type of team.

• Like 1