Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Steelers claim Cain off of PS

Restinpeacesweetchloe

13 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

JB has had plenty of time to learn the system, and the pro game 

JBs first year as a starter he was pounded into the ground and had very little time to see the field at all. 

His 2nd year he sit behind Luck.

He has started only 8 games this year and has done pretty good so I don't understand your problem with him. You cant blame him for the losses where our kicker cost us wins. 

He plays in Frank's system and is very successful. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

JBs first year as a starter he was pounded into the ground and had very little time to see the field at all. 

His 2nd year he sit behind Luck.

He has started only 8 games this year and has done pretty good so I don't understand your problem with him. You cant blame him for the losses where our kicker cost us wins. 

He plays in Frank's system and is very successful. 

i dont think hes terrible or particularly good, i just hope we dont get stuck with him for a long time.

im not rooting for tanking either to be clear, its a weird spot to be in 

5 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i dont think hes terrible or particularly good, i just hope we dont get stuck with him for a long time.

The thing is we are used to having elite QB play from Manning and Luck and Brissett is not in that league. 

Brissett is a very good QB and plays within Franks system. He is a team leader and the whole team is behind him. Too bad a lot of fans are not. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

Yeah...it is a weird spot. And you have to evaluate it from more than just an on-field stance. A big part of JB's value was tied to a low salary...which is now gone because he is a FA after next season...and will likely cost $25M+/year to retain going forward. Outside of the salary cap magically doubling YOY, I can't see any scenario where that is a great use of resources. 

Unless they believe Chad Kelly is a potential top tier starting QB (they have given no indication of that)...then drafting a QB is literally a no-brainer. Get the guy you want...give him a chance to sit and learn for a year and then re-evaluate. IF JB takes a massive step forward...then it's a good problem to have.

Ballard was just leaving KC when they started a successful transition strategy, so he's somewhat familiar with it...and everyone in the NFL is familiar with KC's successful QB transition.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

College and NFL are very different.

Also he looked so good there because the defenses in the Big 12 conference are all trash.

Sure it's different, but the capability just doesn't disappear. Steelers have been conservative with him with dink and dunk. And like I said, I don't think he's good.

6 hours ago, aaron11 said:

yeah Jacoby gets years to prove himself, but if a WR doesnt look good with him he has to go

Yup, not to mention the WR is back off a major injury, switched positions multiple times, and playing outside of his known strengths. 8 games is pretty harsh post recovery.

7 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Well he looked pretty developed today. 

That TD pass he made after the scramble was as good as any QB in the league. 

He should be four years in the league. Some creative thinkers have implied in 2019 he’s still basically a rookie.  

Let’s just enjoy the smack down victory today. :thmup:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MPStack said:

He should be four years in the league. Some creative thinkers have implied in 2019 he’s still basically a rookie.  

Let’s just enjoy the smack down victory today. :thmup:

He's no rookie, that is clear.

OTOH, respected football people claim it takes from a minimum of 30 (IE: Pat Kirwan) to beyond 48 games started (IE: Jim Miller) to know who/what a particular QB is about/ceiling.  Average from people around the league was about 45 starts-

"Has the player had enough opportunity—with proper scheme, coaching, and personnel—to show whether he is a QB you can consistently compete with? The exact time frame needed to answer this question differed among the folks I spoke with, but the ballpark seemed to be around 45 starts, or about three seasons’ worth."

This from a Ringer article by Robert Mays

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/11/5/20941743/nfl-young-quarterback-evaluation-gardner-minshew-baker-mayfield-mitchell-trubisky

JB isn't near the end of the 'QB eval period', no matter how many years he's been in the league.

8 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

JB isn't near the end of the 'QB eval period', no matter how many years he's been in the league.

The above is logical, but how must of that is based on a traditional rookie path, i.e. most 1st round QBs who will start at some point in their 1st season.

Would you say that having 2 additional seasons of being sat in a NFL film room, with some of the best of the business no less, isn't advantageous? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteelCityColt said:

The above is logical, but how must of that is based on a traditional rookie path, i.e. most 1st round QBs who will start at some point in their 1st season.

Would you say that having 2 additional seasons of being sat in a NFL film room, with some of the best of the business no less, isn't advantageous

It is, but it isn't the same thing.  For example, teams don't 'get tape' on you and your play to scheme against you, because you didn't play (at times).  You don't get 'timing' with the receiving personnel, because you aren't throwing to them. Etc...

It's like your upcoming opponent is the Ravens.  So to give your D some advantageous help by having the Taxi squad guys and Hoyer imitate Lamar Jackson and the plays they run.  It's helpful for the Defense to see alignments and how the players will react, but...  they aren't Lamar Jackson (nobody is is) and the Ravens #1 offense so once the 'real' play starts in the real game, the "action" is going to be very different; even if the motions are going to be familiar. And in the film room, you can only 'run the plays' in your mind.

Advantageous, yes. Substitute for starting and playing in games? No chance.

42 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Advantageous, yes. Substitute foe starting games? No way.

Oh 100% agree with that, but also it's not an oranges to oranges comparison with other 2nd year QBs. I guess it's like in college where you're a "true" sophomore etc. 

IMO I think in general it's best for a rookie QB to sit for a year, but often those taken high are on bad teams where they won't have that luxury. How many good prospects have we seen thrown into the firing line and damaged. That's also something Brissett has in his favour, the team around him isn't too bad, especially the line. But that's more a product of the weird situation that started this whole chain of events. 

It is testament to his leadership that he's had this dropped on him and he's not flinched. 

A lot of talented QB's apparently get ruined by a revolving door of OC's and their schemes.

JB himself has had 3 different in 4 years himself-

Josh McDaniels and the Erhardt-Perkins system

Rob Chudzinski and the Air Coryell vertical system

Frank Reich/Sirianni and the Colts current system

20 hours ago, aaron11 said:

It certainly is.  When this team gets healthy, outside of QB and D-line, they are very good.  JB is good in Reichs system, but has a ceiling that is not as high as some QB's.  He's under contract for next season, so I think he is the starter till 2021.  I'm not sure using draft capital to move up for a QB is wise.   I would much rather get some good D-line help and address other areas in the 2020 draft.  Maybe use a 2nd on a QB.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Should this thread now get moved into the Brissett abyss thread since it’s obviously been hijacked? 

Cain, Deon Cain, how did he perform in his Steelers debut or did he even get to play? 

Why? Cain is not longer a Colt so might as well make it into something interesting. :dunno:

15 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Why? Cain is not longer a Colt so might as well make it into something interesting. :dunno:

Well idk, I guess I read the actual title of the thread and it says Steelers claim Cain, not Jacoby Brissett. I felt like it was pretty clear but perhaps my comprehension is off. Idk? 

perhaps the mods should move the thread into general nfl talks now since Cain is not a Colt and some wanted to hijack the discussion into Brissett talk. 

kill two birds with one stone. Yeah :worthy:

1 minute ago, Jdubu said:

Well idk, I guess I read the actual title of the thread and it says Steelers claim Cain, not Jacoby Brissett. I felt like it was pretty clear but perhaps my comprehension is off. Idk? 

perhaps the mods should move the thread into general nfl talks now since Cain is not a Colt and some wanted to hijack the discussion into Brissett talk. 

kill two birds with one stone. Yeah :worthy:

If this is all you can come up with to complain about we are in good shape. haha

12 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

If this is all you can come up with to complain about we are in good shape. haha

Oh I got plenty to complain about. My bones hurt when I rolled out of bed. My feet were sore. My coffee maker was slow to pour coffee this morning. I’m out of medicine so I have to run in town with all the crazy people now. It’s cold out. I mean I got a list dude lol. 

6 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Oh I got plenty to complain about. My bones hurt when I rolled out of bed. My feet were sore. My coffee maker was slow to pour coffee this morning. I’m out of medicine so I have to run in town with all the crazy people now. It’s cold out. I mean I got a list dude lol. 

Yes, it is hell getting old but I will take that over the alternative so I won't complain too much. :number1:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Cain with 1 catch in one target today.

Not lighting it up, but he's had more production so far in two weeks with 3rd string QBs than with the Colts. He's been through 2 QBs now in 2 week lol.

He broke a lot of Gullible hearts. 

13 hours ago, MPStack said:

He broke a lot of Gullible hearts. 

If he increases his targets after getting familiar with the O and does decent with a no named QB, it's going to make some folks look silly. It'll be funny if Pitt makes the playoffs with their horrible QB, injury riddled WRs, and a Colts castaway.