Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chargers to Move to London?-Report by CBS

csmopar

The fan support in London is there presuming that most of the UK American football fans drop the support of the current teams they support and throw their support behind their home team.  That is kind of an if, perhaps some of the posters from the UK could tell me if they feel like they would switch loyalties to a hometown team if one came into town or if they are "Colts fans for life"  For the record no shame if they wanted to switch loyalties.  Much easier to support a team in your backyard than one that is a 7 hour plane ride away.  

But there is a host of other issues.  Excessive time change being the big one.  What currency will you pay the players in?  

Another issue is if Tottenham Hotspur is going to be able to share a stadium with an NFL team and play all their games.  Also how much is Tottenham Hotpsur going to expect from an NFL team in terms of lease money.

11 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

I don’t like franchise’s moving, and I don’t like this one. I still like the Green Bay model best ,where the fans and cities own the team. 

I dont mind teams moving so much as I do teams moving all to the same cities. IE LA.

4 hours ago, csmopar said:

I dont mind teams moving so much as I do teams moving all to the same cities. IE LA.

The Chargers in LA just isn’t working. I’m not sure why SD wouldn’t put up a nice, new stadium. We learned that in Baltimore years ago. You do have to have a nice , updated facility for the fans, and so the owners can make a nice profit. Where it gets crazy, is when these owners move to make obscene profits, at the expense of fans , and the community . That is why I like the Green Bay model best. 
I also think when teams move, they should come up with a new name and logos in their new cities. It is just cleaner when the team moves, and that fan base has their own, unique history, not tied to another city’s sports history. 

6 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

The Chargers in LA just isn’t working. I’m not sure why SD wouldn’t put up a nice, new stadium. We learned that in Baltimore years ago. You do have to have a nice , updated facility for the fans, and so the owners can make a nice profit. Where it gets crazy, is when these owners move to make obscene profits, at the expense of fans , and the community . That is why I like the Green Bay model best. 
I also think when teams move, they should come up with a new name and logos in their new cities. It is just cleaner when the team moves, and that fan base has their own, unique history, not tied to another city’s sports history. 

yeah but why should the tax payer's have to foot the bills for these massive stadiums? The reports I saw is that San Diego was willing to split the bill but Spanos wanted them to foot the entire thing

4 hours ago, csmopar said:

yeah but why should the tax payer's have to foot the bills for these massive stadiums? The reports I saw is that San Diego was willing to split the bill but Spanos wanted them to foot the entire thing

I don’t disagree with you, but with these owners , that seems like the cost of doing business for the city. If you have the Green Bay model , taxpayers will be more willing to spend happily because they have a stake in the team. 
For the record, I think Spanos is a fool. I don’t think Bob or Jim Irsay put too much of their own money into the new stadium. Without a new stadium, the Browns wouldn’t be in Baltimore. 
I don’t like all of this either , but as an old Baltimore Colts guy, I can tell you what happens to a city if you don’t put up a new stadium. 

The Chargers aren't going anywhere. This new stadium is ultra expensive; you really believe they can just walk away from it with no consequences?  Ridiculous. Eventually, they will build a new fan base in LA. But it will take a while. Nothing like a winning team to speed up that process, Mr. Spanos. 

I just don't see how having one team in Europe would work. Seems like a scheduling nightmare, a travel nightmare, and how in the heck are you going to get free agents to sign with the team? Although, I imagine if Luck was still playing he'd be interested.

If someone has a scenario on how it would all work, I'd be interested in hearing it.

28 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Sorry, I haven't had my coffee yet.  I don't understand what this means.

You don't mean, like, shut the team down, right?  Only have 31 teams.

Do you mean just leave them in LA?

The NFL could and would survive with 31 teams. 

20 minutes ago, MPStack said:

The NFL could and would survive with 31 teams. 

How?  It doesn't seem logistically feasible.  Scheduling alone would be problematic with one division only having 3 teams.  Those 3 teams would have 2 fewer divisional games.  Would they each play each other 3 times?

That's extra divisional games that affect the standings in both the division and the conference.  Would the wins and losses be weighted somehow?

It seems like there would be a lot of issues with a 31-team league.

15 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

How?  It doesn't seem logistically feasible.  Scheduling alone would be problematic with one division only having 3 teams.  Those 3 teams would have 2 fewer divisional games.  Would they each play each other 3 times?

That's extra divisional games that affect the standings in both the division and the conference.  Would the wins and losses be weighted somehow?

It’s immaterial really, because the Chargers will either stay in LA, relocate elsewhere, but the NFL could make it work with 31 if need be. I doubt it happens, but I don’t want to see the NFL pimp out a team overseas. 

29 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

if they had to they would just make the afc west a 3 team division imo.  no way to divide 31 evenly.  they could add two more division games to every team i guess

someone would have to have a bye every week too, if there was an odd number of teams.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

You would have to remove a team from every division. Lol

There's no way the NFL would go to 31 teams. The league would support and run the team until they found a solution. I'm pretty sure this happened in another sport several years ago, but I'll be darned if I can remember which team and which sport.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2019 at 11:49 AM, csmopar said:

Agreed.  Most of these city owned tax payer financed stadiums are purpose- built for the NFL.  Leasing them out in the offseason to things like tractor pulls, etc. are an aside. 

Make the NFL buy all of the stadiums back from their cities.  Then have them lease out their facilities to recoup the cost if they want.  Maybe they'll need to lower players' salaries in order to afford the buildings.

I agree with the city of San Diego and Oakland.  Let the teams walk.  Let 3 or 4 teams in the NFL linger in terms of having location issues, then maybe the NFL will be willing to spend at least half of the cost for the stadium. 

I suspect the NFL would try to mooch off of the colleges by playing in their stadiums than spend their own money to build their own facilities.

On 11/6/2019 at 5:24 PM, Hoose said:

The Chargers aren't going anywhere. This new stadium is ultra expensive; you really believe they can just walk away from it with no consequences?

Yes. The Rams owner is already upset with the Chargers concerning their joint SoFi stadium-

https://www.10news.com/sports/sports-news/report-stadium-tension-rising-between-rams-and-chargers-owners

On 11/6/2019 at 5:24 PM, Hoose said:

Ridiculous. Eventually, they will build a new fan base in LA. But it will take a while. Nothing like a winning team to speed up that process, Mr. Spanos. 

As big as L.A. is, I think there just may be too many distraction to build a fan base for 2 NFL teams, let alone just the Rams.

And the Chargers always look to have a top notch roster - in talent - then lay eggs during the season.  Not a M.O. to build a fan base from typically laissez faire fans.