Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Backup Qb Options

PrincetonTiger

I like Charlie Batch. A little up there in age, but look at how he performed with the Steelers. He was very good. Arians is our OC, and was with Pittsburgh before us, with Batch. Batch is a perfect match! Sign him to a 2 year deal and let him backup Luck. Then in the UDFAs, we get a guy like John Brantley, who has good potential.

I think it should be a veteran who has started and had at least a little success in his career. I wish Trent Dilfer were available, because he'd be perfect. Hasselbeck is still starter material in the right situation, so I doubt he'd come here. But there are options. Jeff Garcia would be a good backup, also.

Luck, behind Vittatoe. The sooner you accept it, the better.

The Colts want to win now. Vittatoe is a proven winner, like Dan Marino, or Mark Sanchez.

(PLEASE keep Vittatoe around. I enjoyed making fun of Sorgi and really need some other willing butt of jokes.)

I think it should be a veteran who has started and had at least a little success in his career. I wish Trent Dilfer were available, because he'd be perfect. Hasselbeck is still starter material in the right situation, so I doubt he'd come here. But there are options. Jeff Garcia would be a good backup, also.

Charlie Batch would be the best option. Has some playing experience, played with Arians, and is a good role model. Garcia is washed up and finished. He didn't even do that well in the UFL, he was only brought in due to desperation from the Texans FO.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/sports/ci_20136435/colts-sign-ex-utep-quarterback-vittatoe

Not a bad start for a back-up plan.

Day after releasing future Hall of Fame quarterback Peyton Manning, the Colts signed former UTEP star Trevor Vittatoe.

A preseason cut by the Chicago Bears a year ago, Vittatoe worked out with the team shortly after Manning's Wednesday release, and owner Jim Irsay tweeted Thursday that the team inked Vittatoe to a free-agent deal.

Vittatoe left UTEP as the all-time leader in every significant passing category after starting 49 games for the Miners from 2007-10. His 12,439 yards and 97 touchdowns ranked him 14th and 15th in BCS college football history.

He signed with Chicago as a free agent, but was released a month later and didn't play in a preseason game.

Charlie Batch would be the best option. Has some playing experience, played with Arians, and is a good role model. Garcia is washed up and finished. He didn't even do that well in the UFL, he was only brought in due to desperation from the Texans FO.

Very good point. Ben was really close with Arians; I wonder if Batch was as well. Could see that being a great fit.

Gerrard is still available. I wouldn't want him to play in more than a couple of games but he'd be a okay back up. Batch may be famialar with Arians but he's always been a terrible QB so I hope not.

For the 3rd QB, Keenum from Houston. Small, didn't play for a major program but is a 4 year starter, NCAA All time leader in TDs with 152 (yes that is not a typo) over 18,000 yards and only 46 INTs

Who was the big chunky QB that was with the team briefly a few years ago, or maybe he was with the Giants, I just know he was fat.

That would be "The Hefty Lefty" Jared Lorenzen. He was with us for a preseason, I don't think he is still in the league.

Lets bring back Sorgi.

Very good point. Ben was really close with Arians; I wonder if Batch was as well. Could see that being a great fit.

I like Batch and I believe he could come in and really help. Batch is a leader in the huddle. When Ben goes down Batch steps right in and the team doesn't miss a beat. The age is the sticking point for me. There are alot of veteran QB's out there. I feel this issue will be addressed after the draft. No worries.

Quinn just went to the Chiefs as well.

Charlie Batch, Dennis Dixon, and AJ Feeley are the only guys who come to mind.

Dixon because he's played in the scheme since he was drafted, should come cheap with a very mediocre back-up resume, and won't command (though he might want to demand) a big contract.

Feeley because he's a well seasoned vet who has done decently well in spot starts. Fairly decent pick as a 'mentor' QB.

Batch because, like Andy has said, he's experienced in the system, is a veteran presence, former starter, and isn't likely to look for super money. The combination of both of the above.