Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL QB Rankings: Brissett at #15

Caleb3502

52 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Luck was 8th best last year in Reich's system (bad throw %), so not exactly bad being in the top 1/4 of the league. All that while having a top 5 drop % and was also in the top half of the league in air yards.

I was referring to his career.  Luck's last 2 seasons were his best in the NFL, in many respects.  His last season was arguably his most complete, and well-rounded as a passer.

3 hours ago, Superman said:

I think Dak is and has been underrated, but I'd like to see what happens when they play a real team or two... I have him above JB though.

I second this. I think he's a good quarterback, but their schedule thus far has been pretty accomodating... and by pretty I actually mean the easiest schedule to start 3-0 as far back as I remember.

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I could absolutely see him winning COY if we win the AFCS (with at least 10 wins). 

I'm not going to get ahead of my skis though as we're 2-1, in 3 close games vs three 1-2 teams. We need a signature win IMO. 

ME either.  

We could end up 10-6 or 6-10.

gonna be ALOT of close games.

2 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

I was referring to his career.  Luck's last 2 seasons were his best in the NFL, in many respects.  His last season was arguably his most complete, and well-rounded as a passer.

Think it might be the system? :-)

1 minute ago, WoolMagnet said:

ME either.  

We could end up 10-6 or 6-10.

gonna be ALOT of close games.

Going to be a fun year. But probably one that takes a few years off my life lol.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

The fact that he’s this high on the list is not only a surprise if you look at where many on this forum pegged him 4 weeks ago, but it’s also a huge achievement in itself. How many back up QBs could step in and be that high in just 3 weeks? Not very many. That’s a testament to not only Brissett but the coaching staff and FO too 

4 weeks ago, the forum had him benched, and Chad Kelly starting his Franchise QB career.   I know I didn't expect him to be this good already.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

4 weeks ago, the forum had him benched, and Chad Kelly starting his Franchise QB career.   I know I didn't expect him to be this good already.

There were a few that liked Brissett better than Kelly, I was one of them. I have to admit though, Brissett is better than I even thought so far. I still had us going 8-8 before the season so I never thought Brissett was bad but if we win this week I can see 10-6.

1 hour ago, jimmy g said:

Yea, Chad Kelly went from a surefire HOFer to 3rd class citizen overnight.

Its ironic, JBs good play has made us "forget" Luck in a similar manner to how Luck made us "forget" Manning.

There are teams in the league that gave been waiting decades to "forget" a past QB.

On a side note, I LOVE seeing that #7 in a Colt uni.  I have flashbacks of Jones in Memorial Stadium at times.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jimmy g said:

Not really.  There were a few who were arguing that point, but most wanted Brissett to start.  

16 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Overall?  

Looking at the list I think he could be higher.  

I'm not convinced that Dak, Watson, Mayfield, or Garapolo are better.  

I would take JB over Dak or Mayfield at this point without much 2nd thought.

Watson I think gets screwed by a bad OL so it's hard to tell.  

Garrappolo oddly enough hasn't had a big enough sample size.  

I'm not convinced they are better either but that list is rankings based on play this year and with the exception of Mayfield, I think Grap, Watson and Dak have played better so far this year.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, zibby43 said:

No.  There is no logic to not taking more yardage, especially when the overlooked option had a chance to potentially score.  It's simply a missed read.  It's not the end of the world, but Brissett is grading out average/poorly on some metrics for a reason. 

Constructive criticism of Brissett is allowed.  For the Pollyanna crowd, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the same constructive criticism is happening inside the walls of the Colts' practice facility.  JB isn't a finished product yet.

Pointing out things JB needs to work on doesn't mean that someone is saying he's not a good player, or that he didn't have a great game against the Falcons.  

As for Luck?  He had his own issues, turnover-worthy throws being one of the biggest over the course of his career. 

I have to agree with you here.  I still have faith in JB, and am a big supporter, but there is nothing wrong with stating he can be better.  It's three games into the year with him as the starter.  I'm still on the Brissett train, regardless of if he's missed some opportunities.  As long as we keep winning and keep getting better, that will definitely keep me happy.   Go Colts!

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

The worst thing they can do is try and score as much as possible to keep up. That blew up in the ravens face Sunday. They need to go out there play there game and run time off the clock on offense. You have to limit KC chances If you have any hope to win. You go in trying to out do Mahomes your going to get killed. Reich went away from the run game in the playoff game way to early.

According to the game summary from last year, we had a blocked punt, forced a field goal, held once on 4 downs, and forced 3 punts.  KC isn't invincible, and if we play to our strengths, control the clock, mix in runs and passes, there is always a possibility that we could win.  There is no doubt in my mind we lose in a shoot out though.  But we still need to focus on the Raiders first. 

• Like 1

If you look at numbers alone the only thing that Brissett is consistently lower at than those above him is passing yards (we really didn't open the passing game up until last week, so this could change).

In terms of completion percentage you see:

1) Dak Prescott 74.5

2) Matt Ryan 72.4

3) Patrick Mahommes 71.9

4) Jacoby Brissett 71.7

5) Russell Wilson 71.4

In terms of TDs (passing only) you see:

1) Mahommes 10

2) Prescott 9

3) Ryan 8

4) Brissett, Brady, Wilson, Lamar Jackson -- 7

In terms of INTs you see:

1) Mahommes, Brady, Wilson, Jackson - 0

2) Brissett, Watson, Rodgers - 1

3) Prescott, Wentz, Rivers, Stafford - 2

--------------------------------------------------------------

Mayfield has a 56.9% completion rate, 3 TDs, 5 INTs (but 805 yards compared to Jacoby's 646).  Goff has is 62.7%, 737 yards, 4 TD, 3 INT.  Garrapolo is 69%, 739 yards, 5 TD, 4 INT.  Stafford 62.6%, 831 yards, 6 TD, 2 INT. .... and so on..

If you look at numbers alone, the only area where Brissett is not top 5 is passing yards (and if you want to include rushing, he's behind several in terms of rushing yards and rushing TDs).

I think he'll continue rising up this list as the year goes on and people realize he's not 'just Luck's backup.'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

If you look at numbers alone the only thing that Brissett is consistently lower at than those above him is passing yards (we really didn't open the passing game up until last week, so this could change).

1) Dak Prescott 74.5

2) Matt Ryan 72.4

3) Patrick Mahommes 71.9

4) Jacoby Brissett 71.7

5) Russell Wilson 71.4

1) Mahommes 10

2) Prescott 9

3) Ryan 8

Mayfield has a 56.9% completion rate, 3 TDs, 5 INTs (but 805 yards compared to Jacoby's 646).  Goff has is 62.7%, 737 yards, 4 TD, 3 INT.  Garrapolo is 69%, 739 yards, 5 TD, 4 INT.  Stafford 62.6%, 831 yards, 6 TD, 2 INT. .... and so on..

If you look at numbers alone, the only area where Brissett is not top 5 is passing yards (and if you want to include rushing, he's behind several in terms of rushing yards and rushing TDs).

I think he'll continue rising up this list as the year goes on and people realize he's not 'just Luck's backup.'

Wow those INT numbers out of respectable QB's in this league kind of show just how good JB is at protecting the ball.  

I probably would have said Goff was better than JB just off the cuff but he's got less TD's more INT's, only about 100 more yards, lower completion percentage, and he plays with a great running back, good receivers, good OL and a great defense.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, EastStreet said:

IDK. A lot of teams have QBs that look very good while having a RB eclipse the 100 yard mark consistently. I think it's more about FR's play calling, favoring short stuff than anything else. I think he's simply going slow with both JB and the young WRs. Perhaps that changes as JB settles and gets more chemistry with the younger speedy guys. I expect JB's stats to increase as the year progresses and FR has more trust, and especially in those games where JB has to "win" the game with his arm.

Might have also had to do with the Charger's pass rush.  If you can dink and dunk and run the ball effectively, why risk airing it out against one of the better pass rushes in the league. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

1) Dak Prescott 74.5

2) Matt Ryan 72.4

3) Patrick Mahommes 71.9

4) Jacoby Brissett 71.7

5) Russell Wilson 71.4

1) Mahommes 10

2) Prescott 9

3) Ryan 8

But you can't dismiss passing yards when evaluating a QB.  But even more important than passing yards is yards per completion.  That number really needs to be 11.5 yards or above and then yards per attempt should be 7.5 or above.  At 9.79 and 6.78 respectively, that puts JB at the lower end of the spectrum.

Even in the Atlanta game is yards per attempt were good (8.4) but his yards per completion was still a little low (11.07)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Wow those INT numbers out of respectable QB's in this league kind of show just how good JB is at protecting the ball.  

I probably would have said Goff was better than JB just off the cuff but he's got less TD's more INT's, only about 100 more yards, lower completion percentage, and he plays with a great running back, good receivers, good OL and a great defense.  

Albeit, it's a small sample size (3 weeks is less than 1/4 of the season)... but Brissett is protecting the ball very well and playing very well in the red zone (this seems like the first year where TY has shown to be a very solid red zone threat, which is cool).  Last week was the first week where we relied more on the pass than the run, and Brissett threw over 300 yards.  It's hard to tell if that was simply because Atlanta was stacking the box and allowing passing opportunities or if Reich is 'taking the training wheels' off Brissett's game plan (probably a combination of the two).

While he's definitely protecting the ball well, a big part of it is probably due to play calling (though, I believe I saw a stat suggesting he has a lower career interception rate than Aaron Rodgers who is the all-time NFL leader).  Some of the other QBs with more INTs are probably playing with less of a leash on them and forced to do a bit more.

Regardless, Brissett is quietly having a very solid year.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Might have also had to do with the Charger's pass rush.  If you can dink and dunk and run the ball effectively, why risk airing it out against one of the better pass rushes in the league. 

Brady has dinked and dunked his whole career basically and has won 6 SB's. I am not sure why some get hung up on that JB hasn't thrown a 60 yard pass in the air for a TD. I could care less about that. Do what it takes to win, that is all that matters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CurBeatElite said:

Regardless, Brissett is quietly having a very solid year.

I think that is an excellent way to put it.  I would also add, he is having a solid year and trending up.

I was not a JB fan before the season started, but I'm quickly becoming one because he's doing everything that is asked of him and he's doing it well.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

But you can't dismiss passing yards when evaluating a QB.  But even more important than passing yards is yards per completion.  That number really needs to be 11.5 yards or above and then yards per attempt should be 7.5 or above.  At 9.79 and 6.78 respectively, that puts JB at the lower end of the spectrum.

Even in the Atlanta game is yards per attempt were good (8.4) but his yards per completion was still a little low (11.07)

I agree for the most part.  However, if he's moving the chains and minimizing turnovers, I'd be just fine w/ lower yards per attempt/completion.  TBH, I'd rather see us control the clock, move the chains, and keep possession of the ball than see us turn the ball over.

That said, I think as he gets more comfortable with his WRs and as some of the younger (and speedy) guys get more experience, we will see Reich open up the offense a bit more and allow for Brissett to take more shots down the field.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

I agree for the most part.  However, if he's moving the chains and minimizing turnovers, I'd be just fine w/ lower yards per attempt/completion.  TBH, I'd rather see us control the clock, move the chains, and keep possession of the ball than see us turn the ball over.

That said, I think as he gets more comfortable with his WRs and as some of the younger (and speedy) guys get more experience, we will see Reich open up the offense a bit more and allow for Brissett to take more shots down the field.

Giants never beat the Patriots in the SBs in a shootout, they controlled tempo and time of possession. Same with Saints who beat the Colts in 2009, shrink the game to 8 or 9 possessions and make them count, plus stealing a possession with an onside kick. Same with Giants who beat Bills in the 1991 wide right SB, with a 41 to 19 TOP advantage, just like Patriots beat Chiefs in the 2018 season AFCCG with a 44 to 21 TOP advantage (yet Mahomes tied the game, amazing). 

It is a time tested strategy.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Brady has dinked and dunked his whole career basically and has won 6 SB's. I am not sure why some get hung up on that JB hasn't thrown a 60 yard pass in the air for a TD. I could care less about that. Do what it takes to win, that is all that matters.

Ahh man I can't beleive you're making me do this...

But Brady isn't as much of a dinker and dunker as you'd think... 7.5 Y/A for your career is pretty darn good, 30th of all time at least, 3rd all time in ANY/A.

Last year his average depth of target was 7.9 yards, deeper than Luck, Stafford, Brees and his Air Yards/completion was 6 yards, which is good enough for middle of the pack. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I know Brady gets a rep as a short/intermediate guy but he has a solid career YPA and has been one of the most efficient deep passers for a long time. When he's had guys like Moss and Cooks he would go deep regularly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SteelCityColt said:

Ahh man I can't beleive you're making me do this...

But Brady isn't as much of a dinker and dunker as you'd think... 7.5 Y/A for your career is pretty darn good, 30th of all time at least, 3rd all time in ANY/A.

Last year his average depth of target was 7.9 yards, deeper than Luck, Stafford, Brees and his Air Yards/completion was 6 yards, which is good enough for middle of the pack. 

Good points but he has thrown a lot of short passes that have gone for a lot of yards. Same for Russell Wilson. Look up Brady's stats from 2001-2004 and they won 3 SB's. Once he got Moss his averages went way up.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Good points but he has thrown a lot of short passes that have gone for a lot of yards. Same for Russell Wilson. Look up Brady's stats from 2001-2004 and they won 3 SB's. Once he got Moss his averages went way up.

Appreciate that, all QBs get a decent whack out of YAC. But even as late as last year he was still airing it at a rate that's not out of kilter with the rest of the league. 

I've only got the numbers for last year, but I get 48.70% of Brady's yards came from YAC (5.7 YAC/CMP). For comparison:

Mahomes 51.17% (6.2 YAC/CMP)

Luck 42.93% (4.6 YAC/CMP)

Rogers 48.04% (5.7 YAC/CMP)

Ryan 43.32% (5.1 YAC/CMP)

Rivers 49.12% (6.1 YAC/CMP)

Goff 45.35% (5.8 YAC/CMP)

Brees 45.77% (5 YAC/CMP)

Fair to say that Brady does well out of YAC, but I was more suprised at how much Mahomes had and how little Luck had. 

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I guess one of my points is, if JB had Moss or Gronk he probably would air it out 2 or 3 times a game for 50-60 yards down field.

Possibly, but he does have burners on the team. I guess what you're saying is he doesn't have that big bodied guy who can get down field and win jump balls?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Appreciate that, all QBs get a decent whack out of YAC. But even as late as last year he was still airing it at a rate that's not out of kilter with the rest of the league. 

I've only got the numbers for last year, but I get 48.70% of Brady's yards came from YAC (5.7 YAC/CMP). For comparison:

Mahomes 51.17% (6.2 YAC/CMP)

Luck 42.93% (4.6 YAC/CMP)

Rogers 48.04% (5.7 YAC/CMP)

Ryan 43.32% (5.1 YAC/CMP)

Rivers 49.12% (6.1 YAC/CMP)

Goff 45.35% (5.8 YAC/CMP)

Brees 45.77% (5 YAC/CMP)

Fair to say that Brady does well out of YAC, but I was more suprised at how much Mahomes had and how little Luck had. 

Possibly, but he does have burners on the team. I guess what you're saying is he doesn't have that big bodied guy who can get down field and win jump balls?

Yep. If JB had a 6'5 guy with speed I think he would take more chances down the field. Gronk was like Dallas Clark but was bigger and just as fast. Moss is a top 5 WR of all-time IMO.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

These rankings include performances prior to 2019. As this season progresses, they will be focused on this season...

I think people forget about this.   Given this, Brissett being ranked 15th is very good for him.  

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't think anyone cares about 60 yard TD passes. What's being talked about is overall efficiency in the passing game, because it's one of the biggest predictors of good offense and ability to win games. And trending toward the low end in yards/attempt doesn't lend to good passing efficiency.

It really comes down to a concern about leaving plays on the field. And that includes JB's tendency to limit turnovers. Playmakers push the envelope, and sometimes turn the ball over, but they also make big plays to win games. JB will have to find his balance as he gets more experience.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't think anyone cares about 60 yard TD passes. What's being talked about is overall efficiency in the passing game, because it's one of the biggest predictors of good offense and ability to win games. And trending toward the low end in yards/attempt doesn't lend to good passing efficiency.

It really comes down to a concern about leaving plays on the field. And that includes JB's tendency to limit turnovers. Playmakers push the envelope, and sometimes turn the ball over, but they also make big plays to win games. JB will have to find his balance as he gets more experience.

Oh I agree. A few on here wanted to see JB throw for 300 Yards and he did and we won, so why should anyone complain? As long as we win, that is all that matters. JB could throw 2 50 yard TD passes in the air but if we lose then here come the doubters. I would rather JB go for 250, 2 TD's, no INT's, and we run for 110 yards and get the win. If we throw for 400 and lose what is the purpose, some love that I guess. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Did anyone watch the eagles game last night. You could see why Reich wanted Funchess. Watching Jeffrey shows how he will use DF. I can’t wait for JB to get him back.

Wentz threw for 160 yards but yet everyone in the media today says he is elite because he beat Rodgers. Brissett could do what Wentz did last night easily. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Wentz threw for 160 yards but yet everyone in the media today says he is elite because he beat Rodgers. Brissett could do what Wentz did last night easily. 

That is what balance and defensive support does for you. Wentz threw 3 TDs and cashed in on every opportunity in the red zone plus the Eagles ran real well. Brissett can do the same like you said. No style points in the NFL.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That is why the amount of yards a QB throws for does not matter. Rodgers threw for 422 yards and lost. I can’t wait for JB to get Funchess back. If we stay in the playoff and division hunt that will be huge the five games.

• Like 1