Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL QB Rankings: Brissett at #15

Caleb3502

2 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

I agree for the most part.  However, if he's moving the chains and minimizing turnovers, I'd be just fine w/ lower yards per attempt/completion.  TBH, I'd rather see us control the clock, move the chains, and keep possession of the ball than see us turn the ball over.

That said, I think as he gets more comfortable with his WRs and as some of the younger (and speedy) guys get more experience, we will see Reich open up the offense a bit more and allow for Brissett to take more shots down the field.

I suspect NE hasn't had as good a run blocking line as ours in the Brady era.
Frank has to use that line to it's greatest effect to challenge defenses.
 Make them have to add help to stop the run.
 When they do that, Frank & Siriani will have a host of plays to get the ball to holes created by this. And those holes will be quicker hitters 8-12 yds most of the time.

Ball controll, burn the clock, wear down their D. Winner.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

That is why the amount of yards a QB throws for does not matter. Rodgers threw for 422 yards and lost. I can’t wait for JB to get Funchess back. If we stay in the playoff and division hunt that will be huge the five games.

As a blanket statement that's not just true. Efficiency over volume for sure, but you need some volume or you're not going to have a very effective NFL offense in the long run.

Put it another way, if you plotted total passing yards against wins, I'd take a flier on there being a correlation. So to say it doesn't matter is false, to say it is the only thing that matters is equally as false. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I suspect NE hasn't had as good a run blocking line as ours in the Brady era.
Frank has to use that line to it's greatest effect to challenge defenses.
 Make them have to add help to stop the run.
 When they do that, Frank & Siriani will have a host of plays to get the ball to holes created by this. And those holes will be quicker hitters 8-12 yds most of the time.

Ball controll, burn the clock, wear down their D. Winner.

Ballard drafting Nelson may be the pick of the decade for us. Luck probably is but Nelson is a close 2nd. Ballard also trading for JB was just pure genius. I now love Belichick for doing that trade lmao 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Ballard drafting Nelson may be the pick of the decade for us. Luck probably is but Nelson is a close 2nd. Ballard also trading for JB was just pure genius. I now love Belichick for doing that trade lmao 

Imagine turning Phillip Dorset into a franchise QB. Colts are dang lucky with QB.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Oh I agree. A few on here wanted to see JB throw for 300 Yards and he did and we won, so why should anyone complain? As long as we win, that is all that matters. JB could throw 2 50 yard TD passes in the air but if we lose then here come the doubters. I would rather JB go for 250, 2 TD's, no INT's, and we run for 110 yards and get the win. If we throw for 400 and lose what is the purpose, some love that I guess. 

There's a difference between complaining and evaluating, but so many are rabidly defensive of JB to the point that legitimate evaluation is being mischaracterized as complaining.

And just because the team wins doesn't mean the QBing is above reproach. And just because the team loses doesn't mean the QBing was an issue. We're talking about the quality of the QBing, not the win/loss record.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

As a blanket statement that's not just true. Efficiency over volume for sure, but you need some volume or you're not going to have a very effective NFL offense in the long run.

Put it another way, if you plotted total passing yards against wins, I'd take a flier on there being a correlation. So to say it doesn't matter is false, to say it is the only thing that matters is equally as false. 

The point is if you have a balanced team you don’t need 300 yards from your QB. All you need is for the threat to be there so they don’t stack the box to stop the run.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Dorsett is doing well in NE but without JB we would suck after Luck retiring. Imagine having Painter at QB like the old days lmao . JB is legit, he isn't Luck but he is good IMO.

Yes I know. But if he turns out to be the franchise QB the next 8 years think about how we didn’t have to tank or give up draft picks to get one. It’s pretty remarkable.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

There's a difference between complaining and evaluating, but so many are rabidly defensive of JB to the point that legitimate evaluation is being mischaracterized as complaining.

And just because the team wins doesn't mean the QBing is above reproach. And just because the team loses doesn't mean the QBing was an issue. We're talking about the quality of the QBing, not the win/loss record.

I agree again but JB is a big reason why we are 2-1. We would be 3-0 had our GOAT made his kicks against LA. If we were winning despite JB I would say so but against Atlanta he played great. 

12 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Yes I know. But if he turns out to be the franchise QB the next 8 years think about how we didn’t have to tank or give up draft picks to get one. It’s pretty remarkable.

JB has his chance to be mentioned in with guys like Peyton, Unitas, Luck, Jones, and Harbaugh. He needs to play consistently good for at least 5 years before we go there but who knows? Obviously no one will ever be Peyton or Unitas but JB may make his mark in history. I can see him being better than Harbaugh with the team we have and I loved Harbaugh. I met Harbaugh and got his autograph back in 1996.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

JB has his chance to be mentioned in with guys like Peyton, Unitas, Luck, Jones, and Harbaugh. He needs to play consistently good for at least 5 years before we go there but who knows? Obviously no one will ever be Peyton or Unitas but JB may make his mark in history. I can see him being better than Harbaugh with the team we have and I loved Harbaugh. I met Harbaugh and got his autograph back in 1996.

The year with Harbaugh we went to the AFCCCG is when I started watching colt football.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The year with Harbaugh we went to the AFCCCG is when I started watching colt football.

I have been following closely since 1984 when the team moved here but I am old haha . 1995 was a magical season with Harbaugh, loved it. 2006, 1995, and 2012 were the best seasons I have enjoyed as a Colts fan. 2006 is #1 because we won the SB and beat Tommy and BB to get there. 1995 with Harbaugh and 2012 with Luck both were just fun and unexpected + very good seasons.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Caleb3502 said:

Statstics should always be taken with a grain of salt. You could make stats say whatever you want. No shade to JB. I just want to see more consistent play before applying labels.

3 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

Albeit, it's a small sample size (3 weeks is less than 1/4 of the season)... but Brissett is protecting the ball very well and playing very well in the red zone (this seems like the first year where TY has shown to be a very solid red zone threat, which is cool).  Last week was the first week where we relied more on the pass than the run, and Brissett threw over 300 yards.  It's hard to tell if that was simply because Atlanta was stacking the box and allowing passing opportunities or if Reich is 'taking the training wheels' off Brissett's game plan (probably a combination of the two).

While he's definitely protecting the ball well, a big part of it is probably due to play calling (though, I believe I saw a stat suggesting he has a lower career interception rate than Aaron Rodgers who is the all-time NFL leader).  Some of the other QBs with more INTs are probably playing with less of a leash on them and forced to do a bit more.

Regardless, Brissett is quietly having a very solid year.

I've noticed TY's massive increase in usage in the red zone as well.  

I partially there might be particular throws that Jacoby is actually better than Luck at which allows TY to get in the mix more.  Meanwhile Luck clearly was better at throws that would generally involve using a TE more explaining Ebron's massive number of TD's last year.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree again but JB is a big reason why we are 2-1. We would be 3-0 had our GOAT made his kicks against LA. If we were winning despite JB I would say so but against Atlanta he played great. 

Why talk about three games? We're talking about how the game is played, historically.

QB filter < 7.0 yards/attempt

That's a list of NFL QBs going back to 2000 who have started at least 20 games, with an average yards/attempt of 7.0 or less. There's 75 of them. How many have winning records? Just 20. Collectively, they won about 46% of their games.

How many won SBs as starters? Just three. Joe Flacco, Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer. Common factor? Great defenses. (Honorable mention to Carson Wentz; he didn't start the SB, but he was a huge part of the team that season. The caveat? In 2017, Wentz's yards/attempt was 7.5, the highest of his career so far.)

What's interesting about that list is it ranges from dreadful QBs (Kelly Holcomb, Jamarcus Russell, etc.), to average QBs (Kyle Orton, Sam Bradford, Jake Plummer), to above average QBs (Matt Hasselbeck, Alex Smith, even Drew Bledsoe). There are a couple of standouts on that list -- Michael Vick, Steve McNair, etc. 

But what's missing is any truly great QBs from the last 20 years. McNair won an MVP and even went to a SB, but he wasn't a great QB. None of the outstanding passers of the common era make that list. None of the multiple SB winners or even anyone with multiple SB appearances is on that list. No one who led top ten offenses year after year is on that list.

So you have a sample size of three games with JB in 2019. That list includes about 4,000 games over 19 seasons and three weeks.

It shows a correlation between yards/attempt and good offense, and it shows a correlation between yards/attempt and winning football.

I think the reason is that the risk associated with throwing the ball -- stopping the clock, turning the ball over, incompletions, sacks -- is only offset adequately if the production from throwing the ball is significantly higher than it would be if you ran it. To offset that risk, you have to get more yards, bottom line.

TL;DR, yards/attempt is a valid metric for predicting winning football. It's not irrelevant just because we're 2-1.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Nelson is a great pick, but Kelly and Castonzo been nearly as important.

The left side of the Colts line is as good as I have seen since the Colts came to Indy. 

Braden Smith was a hugely underrated pick that we had some luck on.  

No one would have pegged him for being a tackle in the NFL.  Injuries pretty much forced him into the job and when they did we found out that holy crap this guy can play right tackle.  

Nelson was a left guard that everyone knew was probably going to be good.  Smith was the big shocker.  

Glowinski too, although he is still IMO the weak point on the OL.  I wouldn't oppose drafting a guard high to try and replace him.  Maybe some other needs that are more important but if BPA is a guard, no issues with trying to replace Glow.    

Just now, Valpo2004 said:

No one would have pegged him for being a tackle in the NFL.  Injuries pretty much forced him into the job and when they did we found out that holy crap this guy can play right tackle.  

Nelson was a left guard that everyone knew was probably going to be good.  Smith was the big shocker.  

Glowinski too, although he is still IMO the weak point on the OL.  I wouldn't oppose drafting a guard high to try and replace him.  Maybe some other needs that are more important but if BPA is a guard, no issues with trying to replace Glow.    

I'm still open to Braden Smith being a good RT, but I think he's been shaky this season, and I still think it would be a boost to move him to RG. But that might just be me being stubborn.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

Why talk about three games? We're talking about how the game is played, historically.

That's a list of NFL QBs going back to 2000 who have started at least 20 games, with an average yards/attempt of 7.0 or less. There's 75 of them. How many have winning records? Just 20. Collectively, they won about 46% of their games.

How many won SBs as starters? Just three. Joe Flacco, Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer. (Honorable mention to Carson Wentz; he didn't start the SB, but he was a huge part of the team that season. The caveat? In 2017, Wentz's yards/attempt was 7.5, the highest of his career so far.)

What's interesting about that list is it ranges from dreadful QBs (Kelly Holcomb, Jamarcus Russell, etc.), to average QBs (Kyle Orton, Sam Bradford, Jake Plummer), to above average QBs (Matt Hasselbeck, Alex Smith, even Drew Bledsoe). There are a couple of standouts on that list -- Michael Vick, Steve McNair, etc. 

But what's missing is any truly great QBs from the last 20 years. McNair won an MVP and even went to a SB, but he wasn't a great QB. None of the outstanding passers of the common era make that list. None of the multiple SB winners or even anyone with multiple SB appearances is on that list. No one who led top ten offenses year after year is on that list.

So you have a sample size of three games with JB in 2019. That list includes about 4,000 games over 19 seasons and three weeks.

It shows a correlation between yards/attempt and good offense, and it shows a correlation between yards/attempt and winning football.

I think the reason is that the risk associated with throwing the ball -- stopping the clock, turning the ball over, incompletions, sacks -- is only offset adequately if the production from throwing the ball is significantly higher than it would be if you ran it. To offset that risk, you have to get more yards, bottom line.

TL;DR, yards/attempt is a valid metric for predicting winning football. It's not irrelevant just because we're 2-1.

I agree, yards per attempt is probably one of the most important passing stats but gets far less press than it deserves.  

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm still open to Braden Smith being a good RT, but I think he's been shaky this season, and I still think it would be a boost to move him to RG. But that might just be me being stubborn.

I wouldn't have a problem with that either if they grabbed a replacement at right tackle in the draft.  

We don't really have another guy on the roster who can play RT as well as him so for at least this season he stays.  In the future there are good arguments to move him inside long term, grab a RT in the draft and make Smith basically a guy who would rotate over to RT if that guy got hurt.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

How many won SBs as starters? Just three. Joe Flacco, Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer. (Honorable mention to Carson Wentz; he didn't start the SB, but he was a huge part of the team that season. The caveat? In 2017, Wentz's yards/attempt was 7.5, the highest of his career so far.)

I want to see how the season plays out in reality. A good sample size for us will be this full 16 game season with JB because he has a good team around team now unlike in 2017. For me I love doing lists and ranking players as you know but as of now I have no idea where I would rank JB. Is he 25th? Is he 15th? Maybe is he approaching top 10? I can't call it honestly. I did have Luck ranked 5th best but I had a feel for it.

57 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Nelson is a great pick, but Kelly and Castonzo been nearly as important.

The left side of the Colts line is as good as I have seen since the Colts came to Indy. 

I agree that the line is good because of more than one player....but I still love that hustle of Nelson.  And I think he raised the level of play of others around him in the run game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Nah, Hilton was the pick of the decade, so far. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

The point is if you have a balanced team you don’t need 300 yards from your QB. All you need is for the threat to be there so they don’t stack the box to stop the run.

That’s not what you said in the original post. 

Besides balanced or not, generally elite QBs at some point will have games they have to put a team on their back. That’s going to involve some yards.. 

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Not a big deal, but I called as being our right tackle early in that preseason, but I get your point. 

8 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I've noticed TY's massive increase in usage in the red zone as well.  

I partially there might be particular throws that Jacoby is actually better than Luck at which allows TY to get in the mix more.  Meanwhile Luck clearly was better at throws that would generally involve using a TE more explaining Ebron's massive number of TD's last year.

Could be... Not that it was a major weakness, but one of Luck's weaker points was lack of pinpoint accuracy.  He seemed better at being able to loft the ball up and allowing a bigger guy (e.g., Ebron) come down with it in tight spaces.   So maybe Brissett is a little better at throwing the ball into tight spaces when he's in tight spaces...

My guess as to TY being more active in the redzone is (1) Brissett seems far more comfortable with him as his security blanket than others so far, and (2) we have more balance on offense this year than we have in years past (i.e., we have a running game, Ebron, Doyle, partial first game Funchess, then we've got Cain/Campbell/etc.) which minimizes other teams' ability to focus solely on TY.

On 9/26/2019 at 4:54 PM, zibby43 said:

JB isn't a finished product yet.

Absolutely!

I am seeing better touch on intermediate routes this year vs 2017

I think you will also see some improvements as they determine which plays best fit JB's skillset.

(Vs running the best "Luck Plays")

Lastly, the decision making process that is needed for a QB SHOULD improve, as JB gets time in the saddle.

I am STARTING to think (Not quite there yet) we have a GOOD ENOUGH QB to lead a top 5-6 NFL team.   That may be what we need to win a SB.

Build the defense to be top 10

Run the ball well

Few penalties 

Few Turnovers

IF we do these 4 things......  a QB of JB's still improving talent........  May be enough

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I think that Smith is a GOOD RT

I think he would be a Pro Bowl RG

As we will need a LT at some point, I say we go Tackle early in the draft, let them start RT, then take over for AC when he retires

On 9/28/2019 at 12:02 AM, CurBeatElite said:

Could be... Not that it was a major weakness, but one of Luck's weaker points was lack of pinpoint accuracy.  He seemed better at being able to loft the ball up and allowing a bigger guy (e.g., Ebron) come down with it in tight spaces.   So maybe Brissett is a little better at throwing the ball into tight spaces when he's in tight spaces...

My guess as to TY being more active in the redzone is (1) Brissett seems far more comfortable with him as his security blanket than others so far, and (2) we have more balance on offense this year than we have in years past (i.e., we have a running game, Ebron, Doyle, partial first game Funchess, then we've got Cain/Campbell/etc.) which minimizes other teams' ability to focus solely on TY.

They have praised JB's over the shoulder throws which have been fairly good and I know TY caught a TD in one of those on a corner route.

I think over the shoulder was likely Luck's worst throw.  

• Like 1

On 9/27/2019 at 3:56 PM, Valpo2004 said:

I agree, yards per attempt is probably one of the most important passing stats but gets far less press than it deserves.  

But its also important to look at completion percentage, because that would speak to 3rd down conversions, time of possession, and limiting the number of possessions the opposing offense has.

For example: A team can achieve a 7yd/attempt by going 30 for 30 at 7 yds each, and they will likely be playing winning football to a greater degree than the team that achieved the 7yd/attempt stat by going 15/30 with each completion being 14 yds.

The former is what JB has been excelling at.  The latter is what Jake Plummer might do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CanuckColt said:

Brissett is not a franchise QB and never will be.

He is tied with Patrick Mahommes with 10 TD as the top 2 QB's in the NFL in that stat.. he's the first Colt in a long time to have QBR above 115 in 3 of his first for games.

He is obviously a leader and his teammates respect him.   He'll be OK.  Great or not, he's shown he can win with a team around him.  

Let's wait for it to play out, I think he's gonna lead us to an AFC South Championship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/27/2019 at 7:18 AM, lollygagger8 said:

His rocket launcher arm is #1 though 

On 9/27/2019 at 11:06 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Brady has dinked and dunked his whole career basically and has won 6 SB's. I am not sure why some get hung up on that JB hasn't thrown a 60 yard pass in the air for a TD. I could care less about that. Do what it takes to win, that is all that matters.

Yeah, I get what both you guys are saying. It depends what kind of mood I'm in. Sometimes, I love seeing an ariel assault immediately just to take the top off a defense forcing safeties to back up & other times, I just like seeing a QB take what the defense gives em & not perceive the term game manager as a dirty word. I don't do fantasy football because I've never been preoccupied with stats personally. 

I just like that JB could bring the heat if he needs to or play a slow, methodical game with intermediate passes & no turnovers if that's what's required to get a victory. Mostly, I like his even keel approach. Never too high; Never too low. Mental consistency regardless of what the scoreboard says. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CanuckColt said:

Brissett is not a franchise QB and never will be.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Wow after 4 games you know that haha , you are amazing miss cleo infomercial GIF

Okay, I'll be honest. I did have a Vincent Price laugh when I read your response CBE. I can't lie. Well placed sarcasm always makes me smile. 

Canuckcolt might even be right. But, here's the thing though: With our offensive line & above average running game, JB doesn't need to be elite. Just move the chains, not turn the ball over, & win the time of possession battle. I get what you're driving at though. When the weather gets bad in November & December, top tier teams will shutdown you're ground game, take away your best deep threat, & compel you to beat them thru the air with your 2nd or 3rd best WR.

Jacoby does scramble pretty good when necessary & he's always looking downfield even on the move & that's worth something. 

• Like 2