Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL QB Rankings: Brissett at #15

Caleb3502

12 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I can see him ending up around here, fluctuating a little until then of course.

Overall?  

Looking at the list I think he could be higher.  

I'm not convinced that Dak, Watson, Mayfield, or Garapolo are better.  

I would take JB over Dak or Mayfield at this point without much 2nd thought.

Watson I think gets screwed by a bad OL so it's hard to tell.  

Garrappolo oddly enough hasn't had a big enough sample size.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I could see him ending up around here, fluctuating a little until then of course.

Yup. You can almost predict his rankings looking at our schedule. I think we'll see a lot of fluctuation throughout the year. I think we're in for some decent bouncing when we play more division opponents, not to mention some of the better teams on our schedule. 

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. You can almost predict his rankings looking at our schedule. I think we'll see a lot of fluctuation throughout the year. I think we're in for some decent bouncing when we play more division opponents, not to mention some of the better teams on our schedule. 

I think he might end up under-rated a lot of weeks because of Reich's commitment to the run game.  

He looked good against the Chargers but didn't put up a big stat line because Mack and the offensive line where moving the ball effectively.  

For the record I don't have a problem with that but you to be high in those rankings you need to put up a lot of 300 yard games and I'm not sure he'll do that if Mack is tearing off 100 to 150 yards in a lot of games. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Overall?  

Looking at the list I think he could be higher.  

I'm not convinced that Dak, Watson, Mayfield, or Garapolo are better.  

I would take JB over Dak or Mayfield at this point without much 2nd thought.

Watson I think gets screwed by a bad OL so it's hard to tell.  

Garrappolo oddly enough hasn't had a big enough sample size.  

Have you seen what Dak is doing this year? 
75% completions 

9.8 yards per a throw 9 tds 2ints rating of 128.0

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I think he might end up under-rated a lot of weeks because of Reich's commitment to the run game.  

He looked good against the Chargers but didn't put up a big stat line because Mack and the offensive line where moving the ball effectively.  

For the record I don't have a problem with that but you to be high in those rankings you need to put up a lot of 300 yard games and I'm not sure he'll do that if Mack is tearing off 100 to 150 yards in a lot of games. 

IDK. A lot of teams have QBs that look very good while having a RB eclipse the 100 yard mark consistently. I think it's more about FR's play calling, favoring short stuff than anything else. I think he's simply going slow with both JB and the young WRs. Perhaps that changes as JB settles and gets more chemistry with the younger speedy guys. I expect JB's stats to increase as the year progresses and FR has more trust, and especially in those games where JB has to "win" the game with his arm.

12 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

IDK. A lot of teams have QBs that look very good while having a RB eclipse the 100 yard mark consistently. I think it's more about FR's play calling, favoring short stuff than anything else. I think he's simply going slow with both JB and the young WRs. Perhaps that changes as JB settles and gets more chemistry with the younger speedy guys. I expect JB's stats to increase as the year progresses and FR has more trust, and especially in those games where JB has to "win" the game with his arm.

JB might not of had a 50 yard bomb Sunday but he had quite a few throws that were for a lot of yardage and not short throws.

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

JB might not of had a 50 yard bomb Sunday but he had quite a few throws that were for a lot of yardage and not short throws.

True.  Last Sunday showed they ARE starting to open him up a bit.  But the strategy dictated that they not give the ball back to Atlanta any more than they had to, so I wasn't surprised when they focused on owning the football and moving the chains, rather than scoringpoints.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think he had several throws of 30 yards. Those aren’t short throws. We had a bunch of chunk plays in that game.

There was a play where JB hit Cox on a 9-yard gain on a crossing route.

Chester Rogers was running a crosser at a deeper level and he was wide open.  JB missed him.  JB also missed Campbell on a deep crosser, as well.  Tried to force it to a well-covered Cain on a comeback.

JB had a great game, statistically, against the Falcons.  But he has quite a bit of work to do on the downfield passing game - something Luck was always great at.  It's still early though. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, zibby43 said:

There was a play where JB hit Cox on a 9-yard gain on a crossing route.

Chester Rogers was running a crosser at a deeper level and he was wide open.  JB missed him.  JB also missed Campbell on a deep crosser, as well.  Tried to force it to a well-covered Cain on a comeback.

JB had a great game, statistically, against the Falcons.  But he has quite a bit of work to do on the downfield passing game - something Luck was always great at.  It's still early though. 

I think you guys over think it. There is a lot more that goes into why he might of thrown to them. All you guys act like Luck hit 100% of his throws. 

• Like 1

The fact that he’s this high on the list is not only a surprise if you look at where many on this forum pegged him 4 weeks ago, but it’s also a huge achievement in itself. How many back up QBs could step in and be that high in just 3 weeks? Not very many. That’s a testament to not only Brissett but the coaching staff and FO too 

• Like 7

Just now, csmopar said:

The fact that he’s this high on the list is not only a surprise if you look at where many on this forum pegged him 4 weeks ago, but it’s also a huge achievement in itself. How many back up QBs could step in and be that high in just 3 weeks? Not very many. That’s a testament to not only Brissett but the coaching staff and FO too 

Its got me excited for the season. I am real curious to see how he plays at KC. That is a huge measuring stick. We will have to score a lot to keep up with them.

16 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think you guys over think it. There is a lot more that goes into why he might of thrown to them. All you guys act like Luck hit 100% of his throws. 

No.  There is no logic to not taking more yardage, especially when the overlooked option had a chance to potentially score.  It's simply a missed read.  It's not the end of the world, but Brissett is grading out average/poorly on some metrics for a reason. 

Constructive criticism of Brissett is allowed.  For the Pollyanna crowd, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the same constructive criticism is happening inside the walls of the Colts' practice facility.  JB isn't a finished product yet.

Pointing out things JB needs to work on doesn't mean that someone is saying he's not a good player, or that he didn't have a great game against the Falcons.  

As for Luck?  He had his own issues, turnover-worthy throws being one of the biggest over the course of his career. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Its got me excited for the season. I am real curious to see how he plays at KC. That is a huge measuring stick. We will have to score a lot to keep up with them.

I’m not sure anyone can stop KC right now. That said, we have a fighters chance 

• Like 1

Just now, csmopar said:

I’m not sure anyone can stop KC right now. That said, we have a fighters chance 

Yeah it seems like many are not giving us a chance in that game. Of course lets take care of the Raiders first and see what our injuries look like. I am looking forward to the KC game more now knowing JB looks good so far. 

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The worst thing they can do is try and score as much as possible to keep up. That blew up in the ravens face Sunday. They need to go out there play there game and run time off the clock on offense. You have to limit KC chances If you have any hope to win. You go in trying to out do Mahomes your going to get killed. Reich went away from the run game in the playoff game way to early.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The worst thing they can do is try and score as much as possible to keep up. That blew up in the ravens face Sunday. They need to go out there play there game and run time off the clock on offense. You have to limit KC chances If you have any hope to win. You go in trying to out do Mahomes your going to get killed. Reich went away from the run game in the playoff game way to early.

I agree with you but we may not have a choice. I am not sure we can stop a team like that. Of course I would love to control TOP and keep Mahomes off the field as much as possible.

55 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think he had several throws of 30 yards. Those aren’t short throws. We had a bunch of chunk plays in that game.

I mean if you want to call 2 several, sure thing, and one of those had a chunk of YAC.

There's not getting away from that fact he's not throwing it deep as yet. His average depth of target is 5.6 yards which is the 3rd shortest in the league thus far behind Flacco and Bridgewater. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

I mean if you want to call 2 several, sure thing, and one of those had a chunk of YAC.

There's not getting away from that fact he's not throwing it deep as yet. His average depth of target is 5.6 yards which is the 3rd shortest in the league thus far behind Flacco and Bridgewater. 

Precisely, and it's a valid concern/observation.  It's not a knock on Jacoby.  Even Reich admitted after Tennessee that the downfield passing game was nearly non-existent.  I appreciate Reich's candidness about the offense.  He's a bit more gentle in appraising the defense.

Just now, zibby43 said:

Precisely, and it's a valid concern/observation.  It's not a knock on Jacoby.  Even Reich admitted after Tennessee that the downfield passing game was nearly non-existent.  I appreciate Reich's candidness about the offense.  He's a bit more gentle in appraising the defense.

I don't blame them for going conservative to start the season, and I think Brissett is never going to be a guy who will gun it, despite having a decent enough arm. Lessens the chance of wow plays, but also lessens the chance of wow I can't believe he threw that pick...

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

IIRC he only had 3 passes for more than 20 yards. One of those was big on YAC, one was blown coverage (Pascal), etc.,. The rest were short/medium stuff. 

8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

IIRC he only had 3 passes for more than 20 yards. One of those was big on YAC, one was blown coverage (Pascal), etc.,. The rest were short/medium stuff. 

Yep, he's got one of the lowest air yards/attempt of QBs so far this season:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/passing_advanced.htm#advanced_passing::13

He does however have the lowest "Bad Throw %". 

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Yep, he's got one of the lowest air yards/attempt of QBs so far this season:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/passing_advanced.htm#advanced_passing::13

He does however have the lowest "Bad Throw %". 

Thanks for linking that!

It'll be fun watching how the year progresses. I'm pretty sure the low air yards is by design (play calling and easing him in), but I'm just a little surprised there haven't been more down field throws (+20 air yards). IIRC, his stats on deep balls in 2017 were very very good. Maybe it's just lack of chemistry thus far with the young WRs.

The optimistic/hopefull side of my brain is telling me that FR will all of sudden hit the switch during a game (KC?) and we'll see our fast WRs blazing down field and JB dropping accurate bombs all over the place.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Thanks for linking that!

It'll be fun watching how the year progresses. I'm pretty sure the low air yards is by design (play calling and easing him in), but I'm just a little surprised there haven't been more down field throws (+20 air yards). IIRC, his stats on deep balls in 2017 were very very good. Maybe it's just lack of chemistry thus far with the young WRs.

The optimistic/hopefull side of my brain is telling me that FR will all of sudden hit the switch during a game (KC?) and we'll see our fast WRs blazing down field and JB dropping accurate bombs all over the place.

I'll be shedding tears of joy when I see Hines lined up on the other side of the field with the rest of our WRs

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

If the colts score on a 12 play drive and the chiefs score on a 3 play drive it won't matter.      The pace of the game will be dictated by the results during the game

55 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

I don't blame them for going conservative to start the season, and I think Brissett is never going to be a guy who will gun it, despite having a decent enough arm. Lessens the chance of wow plays, but also lessens the chance of wow I can't believe he threw that pick...

Luck always had a high percentage of turnover-worthy throws and that approach oftentimes resulted in his “boneheaded” (his words) turnovers.

That mentality also resulted in game-winning throws, so you have to take the good with the bad.

There are a few folks out there that want JB to succeed so badly that they’ve crowned him after the Falcons game.  Some of those same folks have decreed that any constructive criticism of JB shouldn’t be allowed and that doing so means that people hate him.

That just seems bizarre to me.  I hope Jacoby has a Hall-of-Fame career and retires a Colt, but I need to see him play an entire season in this offense.

2 minutes ago, ManningGM said:

I'll be shedding tears of joy when I see Hines lined up on the other side of the field with the rest of our WRs

It will take a little more for me to cry. I need TY/Cain/Campbell/Hines lined up 4 wide running an old Reich K-gun go route similar to some of the routes Peyton used to light folks up with. 

It will be like Christmas, Birthday, 1st lay, all rolled into one :-)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

Luck always had a high percentage of turnover-worthy throws and that approach oftentimes resulted in his “boneheaded” (his words) turnovers.

That mentality also resulted in game-winning throws, so you have to take the good with the bad.

There are a few folks out there that want JB to succeed so badly that they’ve crowned him after the Falcons game.  Some of those same folks have decreed that any constructive criticism of JB shouldn’t be allowed and that doing so means that people hate him.

That just seems bizarre to me.  I hope Jacoby has a Hall-of-Fame career and retires a Colt, but I need to see him play an entire season in this offense.

Luck was 8th best last year in Reich's system (bad throw %), so not exactly bad being in the top 1/4 of the league. All that while having a top 5 drop % and was also in the top half of the league in air yards.

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

I'm looking at how Philly's offense has declined, added to our success with Luck AND JB and you really have to think Reich has a HUGE impact on JBs success.  Having a QB (like Reich) manage the game is paying dividends.  QBs are naturally programmed to "feel" a game and its ebbs and flows.

First in for Reich as coach of the year.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, WoolMagnet said:

I'm looking at how Philly's offense has declined, added to our success with Luck AND JB and you really have to think Reich has a HUGE impact on JBs success.  Having a QB (like Reich) manage the game is paying dividends.  QBs are naturally programmed to "feel" a game and its ebbs and flows.

First in for Reich as coach of the year.

I could absolutely see him winning COY if we win the AFCS (with at least 10 wins). 

I'm not going to get ahead of my skis though as we're 2-1, in 3 close games vs three 1-2 teams. We need a signature win IMO. 

• Like 1