Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brissett Extended (Merge)

Restinpeacesweetchloe

3 minutes ago, Indy_Mike said:

Here's what I really think is happening. I think the Colts are very afraid of having a QB controversy this season. I think they know JB may stink it up and get off to a slow start, they needed to put someone in between him and Kelly to squash any chance of the fans screaming for Kelly from the stands....nobody is going to scream for Hoyer no matter how bad Jacoby stinks up the joint. But I hope Jacoby has a great season and proves me and the management wrong!:goodluck:

Management just gave Jacoby 20 million in guarentees.  Pretty much squashes that theory

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

So Brissett basically got the franchise tag money but doing it this way helps with the cap hit.

...and it rewards Brissett for being a good guy. He would have been making less than the newly signed backup this year, which is unacceptable. Ballard is great with these things... and players take notice. Who wouldn't want to play in this organization? 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, TheMiz said:

Never said there wasn't. However, most would agree that most football fans in Indiana were fans of either the Bears, or the Bengals. When I was growing up, most local radio stations covered the bears. Even Q95 was mostly Bears. It was not until Harbaugh and that ridiculous run happened that more people in the state realized that we actually had our own football team. 

I feel ya, I was a Bears fan until Halloween of 1987 - when they made the big three team trade and got Eric Dickerson. At that point I figured they may be serious so I started watching and eventually rooting. Been true to the shoe ever since!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indy_Mike said:

Brissett is an average mediocre QB...he is not that good. If I am wrong I will gladly admit it, but I don't expect much from Jacoby this season, Colts are starting to look like the Cleveland Browns from about 3 or 4 years ago!

Nonsense he showed flashes in our garbage team of 2017 of being just as good not better but just as good as luck but he now has 1-2 years to prove every week that he is that good besides im not sold on any of the QB's coming out next draft yet anyways.

7 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

It’s cap money spent for this season.  That’s the essential point.  Colts opted to let him keep it when they could have recouped it.  Luck quit and still keeps his money...thanks to Irsay.  In light of that no one should be complaining about them extending Jacoby.  At least he will be taking the field this season. 

They also retain his rights if another team tries to lure him out of retirement,  they have to trade for him

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Indy_Mike said:

This deal is starting to look a lot better now!

Definitely not a bad deal for either side. I’m surprised, but okay with it, because if Brissett doesn’t perform the Colts won’t be strapped with a ton of dead $$. Go Colts!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I feel ya, I was a Bears fan until Halloween of 1987 - when they made the big three team trade and got Eric Dickerson. At that point I figured they may be serious so I started watching and eventually rooting. Been true to the shoe ever since!

Since I was 5 when the Colts arrived and don’t live in the Indy Metro area I didn’t get to choose often and therefore was loyal to the My Tigers and the KC Chiefs 

1 minute ago, Scott Pennock said:

So this makes him a free agent prior to the 2021 draft. That gives the front office two drafts to figure out IF he is worthy of a long term deal or they need to draft a franchise QB in 2020 or 2021. 

That is business savvy to me.

Yep. Why would you want to draft a new guy if you already have the one. We have one of the best GM In the league. He would of been dumb to not take it. It could of cost him millions. IF he is the next guy he will only be 28 so he will still get to cash in on a huge payday.

1 minute ago, Scott Pennock said:

This also reinforces to the locker room that he is their leader and if you play hard and put into the team you can be rewarded.

On Stephen Holder and Zak Keefers podcast today they mentioned how JB has never felt like a back up. They said he has always been one of the leaders in that locker room.

4 minutes ago, Indy_Mike said:

How so....all the more reason to avoid having a QB controversy after giving him a new deal. What the Colts are doing is very smart, they have all their bases covered and they avoid fans screaming for kelly in case JB falls flat on his face! 

If they didn't think Jacoby was worth the contract,   they wouldn't have given it to him.   If they thought Kelly was the guy,   he would be the starter with a new contract.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

@Scott Pennock @MPStack @2006Coltsbestever

My Dad’s boss and my future HS principal son was an intern with the Colts so my first piece of Colts Swag was a set of game worn ED arm bands, an ED personalized autograph, a 1988 team picture and a team set of trading cards

I loved Dickerson, he was my favorite RB in those years 1987-1989 he was basically our offense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nickster said:

But that means he’s getting 28 for next year right?  Considering he’s due 2 mill this year.

if he ain’t good the .org is more screwed than they were the day Luck retired.

No he is getting 15 this year and 15 next year,   assuming he isn't cut at some point

3 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

@Scott Pennock @MPStack @2006Coltsbestever

My Dad’s boss and my future HS principal son was an intern with the Colts so my first piece of Colts Swag was a set of game worn ED arm bands, an ED personalized autograph, a 1988 team picture and a team set of trading cards

Totally jealous guy. My Colts roots go back 1978-79 season. My first piece of Colts memorabilia was a gym bag you ordered from school catalog. They we’re very popular item unless it had the Colts on it. Lol. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Totally jealous guy. My Colts roots go back 1978-79 season. My first piece of Colts memorabilia was a gym bag you ordered from school catalog. They we’re very popular item unless it had the Colts on it. Lol. 

All of my things like that were Red and White with a School Logo on it

I still wear Red and White on Friday’s and some Tuesday’s and Saturday’s 

• Like 1

Think about our QB timeline.

Jacoby signs for 2 years through 2020 season.

We sign Hoyer for 3 years through 2021 season.

2 years of Luck dead money. 

What QB is in the draft for 2021 and has Hoyers help to teach him? At some point we will stop throwing darts at the dart board ( in other words quantity over quality picks). Start drafting quality (meaning we won't need as many picks). So in 2 years we will have excellent depth and we will have accumulated a ton of picks that we can trade for the #1 pick in the draft. 

If JB isn't qwite the QB we need. I think he'll be fine if we are leading heading into the 4th.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Indy_Mike said:

You're missing the point....Hoyer is their insurance policy against the fans pressuring the team to make a QB change....they want to give JB a fair chance and they know the fans won't be screaming for Hoyer like they would for Chad if he were next up! I don't see JB's contract as any kind of slight on Kelly, just the Colts covering all their bases!

If the colts think Kelly is better,   why wouldn't they put him in?  

36 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

...and it rewards Brissett for being a good guy. He would have been making less than the newly signed backup this year, which is unacceptable. Ballard is great with these things... and players take notice. Who wouldn't want to play in this organization? 

Correct.   And see how happy the players are for him.   All of this got done before the start of the regular season.  The entire team is now excited and motivated going into the 1st. game.  What a change.  A bummed out locker room a week ago after Lucks bombshell to this.  Chris certainly knows how to lemons into lemonade.  Can't wait for this Sunday.  

• Like 6

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Correct.   And see how happy the players are for him.   All of this got done before the start of the regular season.  The entire team is now excited and motivated going into the 1st. game.  What a change.  A bummed out locker room a week ago after Lucks bombshell to this.  Chris certainly knows how to lemons into lemonade.  Can't wait for this Sunday.  

Yep, that was the whole point of extending Brissett. Ballard showed any player that had doubt on our roster that if you are all in than he will take care of you. This was a move on from Luck move as well. Players can now focus on who they have and roll with it.

• Like 2