Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brissett Extended (Merge)

Restinpeacesweetchloe

12 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yes Brissett is a good enough QB to win games.  However, unlike Peyton or Luck he isn’t good enough to make up for other short comings.  I don’t think Brissett is a franchise QB but I do think he’s a starter in this league and the Colts could be a lot worse off than with him at QB.

This extension is good for both sides.  It gives Jacoby more money and a two year window to prove himself.  It means if he plays well the Colts don’t have to worry about losing him at the end of the year but doesn’t commit to him long term so if he isn’t what Ballard and Reich think he is they can move on to someone else in the near future.

That is why ballard has stressed he wants to build a team that isn’t about one person. If the team is great all around he doesn’t have to make up for those short comings.

4 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Maybe I'm just spoiled after having Peyton then Luck, but is everyone okay with Brissett just being slightly above average? I think that's probably the most likely scenario. I wanna have another Top 5 guy, and if that's too lofty then I at bare minimum want a Top 10 guy. The good news is that Tua, Herbert, Fromm to a degree, Trevor Lawrence, Jacob Eason, and Justin Fields look to be great to elite QBs, and all coming in either 2020 or 2021. I don't think Ballard is the GM that is okay with an Andy Dalton type QB that at his absolute ceiling can get you into the playoffs as a Wild Card team only to lose in the first round every year. 

We just need him to be at best Prescott. The roster build is very similar

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Yea I wouldn't base Mocks at this time of the year. No one had Murray going first this time last year.

Good point.     And, no early mock had Baker Mayfield going first the year before.

Stuff can and will happen for these guys.    Between the regular season and the post-season and the work out season,  things will change.

Count on it.

3 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

Yeah. Brissett comes out of the tunnel first (like the teams leader) and Luck was way in the back.

No one.....     and I mean NO ONE ever suggested or hinted that Luck wasn't the leader of his team.   In the beginning,  Luck deferred to the vets like Reggie Wayne and Redding....   he was respectful to them.     And that earned him respect with the older guys he was leading.

But once Luck assumed the mantle of team leader,  he was the leader.    He defended every teammate.    He never threw a teammate under the bus --- not once.    He would never have made Manning's comment about the "* kicker who got liquered up".     He took full responsibility for all team failure,  even when it wasn't his fault.

You've spent more than a week crying over this, making one silly post after another.

Feel free to let us know when you finally get over this,  if you ever do.

13 minutes ago, Superman said:

How many teams let their starting QB play out a contract year? Brees, Brady, Rivers, etc., guys late in their careers. Now that Brissett is QB1, extending him was the obvious move. If he plays well, they've bought leverage with an extra year of control before we even think about a franchise tag situation, and his two year average is about 40% of what Dak Prescott is asking for. If he doesn't play well, they'll be thinking about drafting a replacement, but you'll still have vets in the room as a buffer. There's no downside to this. 

And it's not tied to the Luck money. That situation is done. The Colts needed to secure their QB stable without Luck. They've done that, and they have the flexibility to go in whatever direction they want after 2019. 

Those are legit QBs with proven track records...including Dak (who has been a 2x Pro Bowler). They had earned new contracts. And there is a precedent for those types of players.

Brissett is an unproven QB (and that's if we disregard his 2017 play)...who was a backup until two weeks ago...he's a QB1 by default. He's more Brock Osweiler or Ryan Fitzpatrick or even Brian Hoyer...than Dak Prescott...at this point. Those type of players typically don't get early extensions. I think it would have been a perfectly reasonable and prudent approach to have Brissett play out the season. With the franchise tag...they had the control either way.

Had it been a two-year exenstion for $30M total...it's different...buying out FA years at under market rate has value. But they didn't save any money...Brissett gets the most money he could have made anyways (over the next two years)...or he gets $20M gtd for this year. The Colts assume risk for this year and save no money...not ideal for an unproven player. They gain some flexibility in how they allocate that $28M though.

The QB stable for 2019 was secured once Hoyer was signed...and they already had the flexibility with the franchise tag for Brissett. They could have gone in any direction next season.

I will say...Brissett could become a more desirable trade target in this scenario (if performs well enough). But it would take a strange set of circumstances for the Colts to trade him at this point.

It's just a lot of money to give upfront without getting much back.

52 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think he's at least as good as Dak Prescott talent wise.  Maybe even better and that's good enough to get you in the playoffs.  I think that's the type of QB he is.  And especially with a good cast around him.

I can't help but think people are losing their minds.

Are you saying that 2 weeks ago our back up quarterback was as good - if not better - than a former rookie of the year, multiple pro-bowler with a 96 career passer rating and a host of college and nfl records? 

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

No one.....     and I mean NO ONE ever suggested or hinted that Luck wasn't the leader of his team.   In the beginning,  Luck deferred to the vets like Reggie Wayne and Redding....   he was respectful to them.     And that earned him respect with the older guys he was leading.

But once Luck assumed the mantle of team leader,  he was the leader.    He defended every teammate.    He never threw a teammate under the bus --- not once.    He would never have made Manning's comment about the "* kicker who got liquered up".     He took full responsibility for all team failure,  even when it wasn't his fault.

You've spent more than a week crying over this, making one silly post after another.

Feel free to let us know when you finally get over this,  if you ever do.

Standing next to Brissett is also Zaire Franklin, Matthew Adams, Turay and Goode. That's 3 LBs...and no Leonard or Walker. Guess those two aren't the team leaders we thought they were. 

Do starters even lead their teams onto the field? I guess I haven't really paid attention at all the  games I have gone to...but I think I remember the starters being last.

5 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Those are legit QBs with proven track records...including Dak (who has been a 2x Pro Bowler). They had earned new contracts. And there is a precedent for those types of players.

Brissett is an unproven QB (and that's if we disregard his 2017 play)...who was a backup until two weeks ago...he's a QB1 by default. He's more Brock Osweiler or Ryan Fitzpatrick or even Brian Hoyer...than Dak Prescott...at this point. Those type of players typically don't get early extensions. I think it would have been a perfectly reasonable and prudent approach to have Brissett play out the season. With the franchise tag...they had the control either way.

Had it been a two-year exenstion for $30M total...it's different...buying out FA years at under market rate has value. But they didn't save any money...Brissett gets the most money he could have made anyways (over the next two years)...or he gets $20M gtd for this year. The Colts assume risk for this year and save no money...not ideal for an unproven player. They gain some flexibility in how they allocate that $28M though.

The QB stable for 2019 was secured once Hoyer was signed...and they already had the flexibility with the franchise tag for Brissett. They could have gone in any direction next season.

I will say...Brissett could become a more desirable trade target in this scenario (if performs well enough). But it would take a strange set of circumstances for the Colts to trade him at this point.

It's just a lot of money to give upfront without getting much back.

I think your last sentence is what kills your post.    Just kills it.

First,  it's not much money at all.    Second,  what you're getting back for it,  is the vote of confidence you're giving JB and the message it sends to the entire team.    The investment for that is pennies on the dollar.     We can easily afford it.     I think it's money extremely well spent.

Glad we did it.    See almost all upside and almost no downside....

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

I can't help but think people are losing their minds.

Are you saying that 2 weeks ago our back up quarterback was as good - if not better - than a former rookie of the year, multiple pro-bowler with a 96 career passer rating and a host of college and nfl records? 

Yes I am saying he's got that type of talent.  We aren't talking about Joe Montana, we are talking about Dak Prescott.  Would Dak have any of that with the type of team and circumstance Jacoby was handed?  The answer is hell no.  It doesn't take much to see Dak isn't an accomplished passer.  Much of the cowboys offense is predicated off the running game and when things are forced in Daks  hands you know they aren't as good.  Dak was handed a Cowboy team that already had good pieces in place.  I think with what we've got on this team this year Jacobys numbers should be right up there if not better.  Daks only good for about 22 TD a year.  I think Jacoby would have no problem surpassing that in a full time role.  3 to 4000 yards should be attainable as well.   Jacobys never been known for throwing many picks so he should be in the ballpark in that area as well.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

Yes I am saying he's got that type of talent.  We aren't talking about Joe Montana, we are talking about Dak Prescott.  Would Dak have any of that with the type of team Jacoby was handed?  The answer is hell no.  It doesn't take much to see Dak isn't an accomplished passer.  Much of the cowboys offense is predicated off the running game and when things are forced in Daks  hands you know they aren't as good.  Dak was handed a Cowboy team that already had good pieces in place.  I think with what we've got on this team this year Jacobys numbers should be right up there.

Dak is a top 10 quarterback all time in terms of passer rating. The rest of the Cowboys team isn't THAT good where it would mean any old Joe could step in and do that.

In early August when the Cowboys were talking about giving Dak $40m per year I don't remember anyone (including you) saying "why don't they just let him walk, give the Colts a 4th round pick for Brissett instead and pay him $15m per year since they're comparable players" 

It's just a crazy comparison at this moment. The achievements, play and records are in different universes.

8 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

Dak is a top 10 quarterback all time in terms of passer rating. The rest of the Cowboys team isn't THAT good where it would mean any old Joe could step in and do that.

In early August when the Cowboys were talking about giving Dak $40m per year I don't remember anyone (including you) saying "why don't they just let him walk, give the Colts a 4th round pick for Brissett instead and pay him $15m per year since they're comparable players" 

It's just a crazy comparison at this moment. The achievements, play and records are in different universes.

Where are Daks TD at?  It's easy to do that if you're running the football all the time. That same Cowboy team is still struggling to figure out if they want to pay the guy or not. Do you do top ten QBs like that?  It's not a crazy comparison because we are talking mostly about his athletic talent and what he may be capable of. Tell us what is out of this world for a single season that Dak has put up for us to be so scared of making that comparison? I just know with all the weapons we have we are not sitting here saying Jacoby couldn't get 23 TDs, 3 to 4k yds and a respectable int count. He's alwys been known as a player that took care of the football.

Zip. -  Bang. -   Pow !

Ballard always seems to systematically come up with a plan when adversity strikes.  I know thats his job, but few seem to handle it so smoothly and decisively.

Under the circumstances, this gives us security AND options moving forward.  The "plan" will be somewhat fluid.

Now its up to Jacoby to set the plan in motion.  I'll also be interested in what Ballard thinks and decides on Kelly.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

Where are Daks TD at?  It's easy to do that if you're running the football all the time.  

It's not a crazy comparison because we are talking mostly about his athletic talent and

what he may be capable of. Tell us what is out of this world for a single season that Dak

has put up for us to be so scared of making that comparison?

Any of Daks 3 seasons. Any of his college seasons. You can pick any. They're all way in advance of what our back up QB had achieved obviously. 

Dak is averaging about 22 TDs per year. The same as Luck over his first two seasons.

3 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

Has everybody lost their friggin marbles? Before today, absolutely nobody was suggesting that extending Brissett was a good idea. After Ballard foolishly pays Jacoby, this is somehow a great move? 

Sorry,  but there is only one guy who has lost his marbles.    It's the same guy who gets blown up every time you post.

You're asking JB to be the leader.   He's on his last year of his rookie deal.   His new back-up makes far more than he does.    Of course you want to pay JB a decent price.   A fair deal.

And you want to send a message to Jacoby and the entire team.    The message to JB is that he's the QB.   Hopefully for two years and beyond.    We believe in you.    And the same message is sent to the team.   That the front office backs up it's positive words of JB with action,  with money!    The message is positive and clear.

Apparently to most everyone,  but you.

Whether he flops or not,  we can afford it.    If he flops, we're out in one year,  two tops.   If he's a hit,  then he'll be signing a much bigger deal at age 28,  when he can get some serious bank.

It's a win-win deal.    Not sure how you don't see this?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

Any of Daks 3 seasons. Any of his college seasons. You can pick any. They're all way in advance of what our back up QB had achieved obviously. 

Dak is averaging about 22 TDs per year. The same as Luck over his first two seasons.

22 TDs is not a lot of TDs bro. That's like barely over/under 1.5 per game.

And again I doubt Dak would have even gotten that on the team Brissett was handed.  I'm certainly expecting at least 22 from Jacoby this year. He's good enough to do that.   

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think your last sentence is what kills your post.    Just kills it.

First,  it's not much money at all.    Second,  what you're getting back for it,  is the vote of confidence you're giving JB and the message it sends to the entire team.    The investment for that is pennies on the dollar.     We can easily afford it.     I think it's money extremely well spent.

Glad we did it.    See almost all upside and almost no downside....

Na...$28M for one year is absolutely a good amount of money for an unproven player who was a back up two weeks ago. That's more than the franchise tag for QBs this past year. 

The intangible stuff...is subjective...and quite frankly overblown at times. Besides, they have done nothing but give JB a vote of confidence all season by commiting to him as the starter this year...that message was already there. If $28M in the bank makes him take his game to an not-yet-seen level...then awesome...but we know that's not really how it works.

Ultimately it's not my money...so I don't really care...I am just arguing over the merits of the deal. I hope JB proves me wrong...especially about whether he can be a legit NFL QB and win games. 

1 minute ago, krunk said:

22 TDs is not a lot of TDs bro. That's like barely over 1.5 per game.

I didn't say it was a lot.  You asked a question,  I answered and gave a comparison for context.

Over his first three seasons Dak has performed almost exactly the same as Luck did over his first two. 

6 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

I didn't say it was a lot.  You asked a question,  I answered and gave a comparison for context.

Over his first three seasons Dak has performed almost exactly the same as Luck did over his first two. 

Yeah but we know the difference between Luck and Dak.  Those first two years you're talking about with Luck he had about as terrible a cast of team mates around him as it gets.  Luck was good to have gotten what he got out the deal.  Dak would not have gotten even what Luck got.  The parts that Jacoby has around him are better than Luck or Dak had early in their careers.  Yes I'm expecting Dak numbers or better because of that.  Even with the terrible circumstances and team Jacoby was handed when he landed with Indy he had us with the lead in just about every contest going into half time.  He's more than equipped with the necessary tools to close things out this time and get more Ws instead of Ls.

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

Yeah but we know the difference between Luck and Dak.  Those first two years you're talking about with Luck he had about as terrible a cast of team mates around him as it gets.  Luck was good to have gotten what he got out the deal.  Dak would not have gotten even what Luck got.  The parts that Jacoby has around him are better than Luck or Dak had early in their careers.  Yes I'm expecting Dak numbers or better because of that.  Even with the terrible circumstances and team Jacoby was handed when he landed with Indy he had us with the lead in just about every contest going into half time.  He's more than equipped with the necessary tools to close things out this time and get more Ws instead of Ls.

I would be delighted and more than a little stunned if it turns out that we had a quarterback capable of top 10 numbers just sitting there all this time. 

Suppose we shall see.

1 hour ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Maybe I'm just spoiled after having Peyton then Luck, but is everyone okay with Brissett just being slightly above average? I think that's probably the most likely scenario. I wanna have another Top 5 guy, and if that's too lofty then I at bare minimum want a Top 10 guy. The good news is that Tua, Herbert, Fromm to a degree, Trevor Lawrence, Jacob Eason, and Justin Fields look to be great to elite QBs, and all coming in either 2020 or 2021. I don't think Ballard is the GM that is okay with an Andy Dalton type QB that at his absolute ceiling can get you into the playoffs as a Wild Card team only to lose in the first round every year. 

Count me in the spoiled group then as well. I too want a top 10 guy...or at least one with that upside. I would have been good with Foles...but those were unique circumstances.

I think the logic around building a great team with great coaching around a not great QB...is flawed. If you have a GM that can build a great team (which Ballard is doing) and great coaching (jury is out still...but the arrow is pointing way up)...that is all the more reason to have a top tier QB...because then you have the recipe for HFA and potentially multiple rings. 

KC is a great example. They always seemed to have talented teams and great coaching...that were often good enough to get into the playoffs...but were never really a threat to win. Then Mahomes arrives and they are a false start from being in the Super Bowl...and are currently the favorites to win it this year (depending on where you look).

I honestly don’t know how Ballard views the QB position. He was in the FO for two teams that were largely held back by the position...so I would think he wants a top guy...but he has also said it’s not about one guy. 

If/when they decide to go after a QB in the draft...it will be very interesting to see what they do.

Just now, ClaytonColt said:

I would be delighted and more than a little stunned if it turns out that we had a quarterback capable of top 10 numbers just sitting there all this time. 

Suppose we shall see.

We have a QB who is good enough to get us more than 1 score a game through the air.

We have a QB who is good enough to throw a small amount of picks given his history from college to the pros.

We have a QB with enough weapons to throw for at least 3k this year.

That's all Dak Prescott numbers.   Our offense is structured to where the QB is going to have a high completion percentage anyway.  I'm not too worried that Jacoby can hit those markers. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Na...$28M for one year is absolutely a good amount of money for an unproven player who was a back up two weeks ago. That's more than the franchise tag for QBs this past year. 

The intangible stuff...is subjective...and quite frankly overblown at times. Besides, they have done nothing but give JB a vote of confidence all season by commiting to him as the starter this year...that message was already there. If $28M in the bank makes him take his game to an not-yet-seen level...then awesome...but we know that's not really how it works.

Ultimately it's not my money...so I don't really care...I am just arguing over the merits of the deal. I hope JB proves me wrong...especially about whether he can be a legit NFL QB and win games. 

He will

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, TheMiz said:

I just fear we are preparing ourselves for sustained mediocrity. 

Why not see what we got before locking ourselves in.

And guess it doesn't matter, since it's just been announced as done

If IB doesnt pan out this year, he only costs $5M against 2020.  Baloard and his smart thinking. Hoyer's contract is an easy-out too.  Ballard has the "now" covered the best he could 2 weeks b4 game 1.  Now he will monitor JB and we still could make a move in draft, dump JB and let Hoyer school the rook and maybe Kelly.

Or JB balls out, Kelly gets promoted, and Hoyer let go.  Or JB, Hoyer, and rook take us into 2020.

So many possibilities the way the contracts are written.  Ballard isnt done, he just had to do triage on the battlefield to stop the bleeding.  Not a bad job, imo.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 9/2/2019 at 10:53 PM, shastamasta said:

Where are you getting 28M a year?

Edited by Superman
political comment removed
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

Has everybody lost their friggin marbles? Before today, absolutely nobody was suggesting that extending Brissett was a good idea. After Ballard foolishly pays Jacoby, this is somehow a great move? 

You must have been on the Pacers forum then because even before Lucks retirement, there were folks on here hoping and wishing for Jacoby to be extended. 

2nd, If you actually look at the deal, Jacobys deal is extremely front loaded, meaning if he ends up sucking, cutting him will have very little effect on the cap next year and virtually none the year after. So yeah, it’s a lot of money, but honestly, running the numbers, we not only had the cap space, but his deal also puts us right at or over that 90 percent rule.

Good for both sides on the contract, and good job getting Hoyer as backup. (certainly best available) 

It would be great to have a banner of Brissett on the side of the stadium now. 

Side note: I'm not sure if they'll carry 3 QB's, but I'm not sure Chad Kelly wouldn't get plucked from the PS if they try to stash him there after the 2nd game if he took Walker's spot. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Indy_Mike said:

Brissett is an average mediocre QB...he is not that good. If I am wrong I will gladly admit it, but I don't expect much from Jacoby this season, Colts are starting to look like the Cleveland Browns from about 3 or 4 years ago!

Hoyer will be starting by week 6.  Ballard HAD Darnold!!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

First, what top 5 guy is available?

second, Brissett’s extension does not mean we won’t cut him in the future if his play isn’t on par, or if we are in the position to draft a franchise QB. If we can cut Peyton Manning, we can cut anyone

14 hours ago, Indy_Mike said:

Brissett is an average mediocre QB...he is not that good. If I am wrong I will gladly admit it, but I don't expect much from Jacoby this season, Colts are starting to look like the Cleveland Browns from about 3 or 4 years ago!

Shows how little you know. The Browns were what, 0-16 4 years ago? No way are we that bad. 

On 9/2/2019 at 11:47 PM, WoolMagnet said:

Where are you getting 28M a year?

Not per year. He was scheduled to make $2M this year and be a FA next year. Now he has a two-year deal for $30M that covers this year and next...thus the $28M in additional salary...which is a decent amount of money for a largely unproven player (at least it was until Brissett got it...now it's apparently nothing).

It basically works out like a one-year $28M extension...with $20M gtd. They will have some cap flexibility to put some of that in this year.

Having slept on it...I might have been a bit too harsh. It's an unprecedented situation all around. I don't love it...but I want to see what he can do in the offense now. They seem to believe in him.

Edited by Superman
  • Like 3

With the risk of putting my foot in my mouth once again(since my prediction in the other thread seem rendered obsolete now), I guess Ballard doesn't exclude Jacoby being a bridge QB for us. It's practically a prove it/lets wait and see/bridge to new QB deal. It is short, basically a 1 year franchise tag year) tagged onto his current cheap 1 year he has left from his rookie contract. 

I don't mind it, but IMO it shows less confidence in what Brissett is, than I personally assumed they have having in mind the way they hype him in the media. It's good business IMO and relatively proportionate level of confidence in Jacoby for what he's shown in the league. 

It seems to me that most here are assuming that all the top prospects coming out of college will be great NFL QB's.   Recent history shows the fault in that thinking.   A year ago, Rosen was talked about going #1 in the draft.   The jury is still out on him, but would anyone be fine with a straight up Brissett for Rosen trade to solidify our future QB spot?   I wouldn't.   I'd much prefer to role the dice with Brissett.   

6 minutes ago, Myles said:

It seems to me that most here are assuming that all the top prospects coming out of college will be great NFL QB's.   Recent history shows the fault in that thinking.   A year ago, Rosen was talked about going #1 in the draft.   The jury is still out on him, but would anyone be fine with a straight up Brissett for Rosen trade to solidify our future QB spot?   I wouldn't.   I'd much prefer to role the dice with Brissett.   

Rosen has been failed miserably. I feel for the kid and don’t know what he’ll turn out to be. 

As for JB, I don’t think he’s a starting caliber QB, but he’s the safest option at the moment. I’ve been a BIG critic of JB, but am extremely pleased he’s the Colts QB in 2019. There just isn’t a better option under the circumstances. 

The Colts success in 2019 really revolves around Brissett’s play. 

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

You must have been on the Pacers forum then because even before Lucks retirement, there were folks on here hoping and wishing for Jacoby to be extended. 

2nd, If you actually look at the deal, Jacobys deal is extremely front loaded, meaning if he ends up sucking, cutting him will have very little effect on the cap next year and virtually none the year after. So yeah, it’s a lot of money, but honestly, running the numbers, we not only had the cap space, but his deal also puts us right at or over that 90 percent rule.

Still a bit under I believe.

$125,278,007 ($167M salary cap)

$144,842,359 ($177.8M salary cap)

$172,421,390 ($188.2M salary cap)

$442,541,756 + $20M for Brissett + $9M for Hoyer = $471,541,756

$471,541,756 / $533,000,000 = 88.4% 

They still have about $8M in cash spend to be at 90%...plus 90% of next year's cap of course.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Myles said:

I mean...Rosen's contract is akin to Hoyer's (and now that he was traded...it's actually half). He costs almost nothing. 

Colts are now paying Brissett...a similarly unproven player...$30M for two years. I think everything said in defense of Brissett has to be said for Rosen...from a talent and production standpoint. 

However, Brissett has working knowledge of the offense...which makes him preferable for this season.

But in a vacuum...I would be fine making that trade...and rolling the dice on Rosen's talent vs Brissett's. But honestly, I don't think Brissett or Rosen are legit bets going forward.

I am definitely fine making the trade of Brissett for a rookie that they hand-pick from the draft. 

38 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Shows how little you know. The Browns were what, 0-16 4 years ago? No way are we that bad. 

With Luck's retirement, Ballard fixed the QB situation the best he could. I think we'll get 7-8 wins this year. As many have said, Brissett has a nice team around him.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Still a bit under I believe.

$125,278,007 ($167M salary cap)

$144,842,359 ($177.8M salary cap)

$172,421,390 ($188.2M salary cap)

$442,541,756 + $20M for Brissett + $9M for Hoyer = $471,541,756

$471,541,756 / $533,000,000 = 88.4% 

They still have about $8M in cash spend to be at 90%...plus 90% of next year's cap of course.

8M to spend.  I would give it to Swag for 3 - 4 years; would probably be the steal of a lifetime.