Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brissett Extended (Merge)

Restinpeacesweetchloe

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

This doesn’t end the CK experiment just suspends it

Not sure why you quoted me on that. 

However, I don’t think so. Not yet anyway. Let’s revisit that in two games. They might want to keep him and someone else might be playing badly enough to warrant cutting at that point. Or who knows. If I know one thing about Ballard, he usually does the unexpected 

Just now, csmopar said:

Not sure why you quoted me on that. 

However, I don’t think so. Not yet anyway. Let’s revisit that in two games. They might want to keep him and someone else might be playing badly enough to warrant cutting at that point. Or who knows. If I know one thing about Ballard, he usually does the unexpected 

I think CK will be on the 53 unless a roster spot is needed

I was agreeing with you

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, w87r said:

Most likely, but don't you think they would want to see what they have in CK before making that decision?

I mean, I wouldn't. I'd make him sit with Brian Decker for 4 hours and listen to his assessment on CK. If he says he is a risk, I'm drafting someone who isn't one. Period. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

If the colts think Kelly is better,   why wouldn't they put him in?  

They might think Kelly's ceiling is higher but that doesn't mean he's "better" now.  Jacoby deserves a chance to prove himself.  It's not like the dude is devoid of talent.  And they either believe in him (which I think its obvious that they do) or they will throw Kelly in after his suspension is served, dude couldn't play now they wanted him to.  Hoyer is a veteran presence, ala Hasselbeck, brought in to help them both mature, what he lacks in talent he makes up for in knowledge and experience.  It's a relatively simple process.  None of these contracts are unsustainable either.  It could all change next year and would be a hiccup.  They've placed themselves in the best possible position they could have, given the circumstances.  I appreciate the measured tone with which the front office has addressed what would have been cataclysm in a lesser organization.  Imagine what grigson and pagano would have done...... It might be lost year but overreacting is far worse than what the new colts regime has done.  As a fanbase we're in good hands.......it'll all play out.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I was a career backup and the only time I didn’t prepare to play was when I didn’t dress because of age/injury

A lot of us played high school ball.   It has no correlation to college or the NFL.  I like you as a poster,   not sure why you keep bringing up your high school playing days

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Well Ballard will look stupid with the contract he just gave JB if he is wrong.

A LOT of journeyman QBs have made fortunes with lucrative contracts.  Ballard’s play here, for 2 years at $15M per year is basically bargain pricing for a starting QB.  If JB does not live up to the hype, oh well, no big deal nor no big amount of sunk money. 

Great roster management going on here and if some people can’t see that, well, just not swift.  

As for all this Chris Kelly talk and debate in this thread, off thread topic, people.  I am rooting for him, but go start a CK thread to talk about him as the focus.  This thread is about JB’s signing a new contract.  And to that, thumbs up to Chris Ballard!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Sumo63 said:

They might think Kelly's ceiling is higher but that doesn't mean he's "better" now.  Jacoby deserves a chance to prove himself.  It's not like the dude is devoid of talent.  And they either believe in him (which I think its obvious that they do) or they will throw Kelly in after his suspension is served, dude couldn't play now they wanted him to.  Hoyer is a veteran presence, ala Hasselbeck, brought in to help them both mature, what he lacks in talent he makes up for in knowledge and experience.  It's a relatively simple process.  None of these contracts are unsustainable either.  It could all change next year and would be a hiccup.  They've placed themselves in the best possible position they could have, given the circumstances.  I appreciate the measured tone with which the front office has addressed what would have been cataclysm in a lesser organization.  Imagine what grigson and pagano would have done...... It might be lost year but overreacting is far worse than what the new colts regime has done.  As a fanbase we're in good hands.......it'll all play out.

I agree, and I think one of the keys here is that our... somewhat unreliable? owner has kept his hands largely off the process to this point.  I consider that encouraging in its own right as it means that Irsay trusts Ballard and will keep more of a hands off approach towards the team.

That in itself will be worth a win or 2 over the next couple years IMHO.

8 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

A lot of us played high school ball.   It has no correlation to college or the NFL.  I like you as a poster,   not sure why you keep bringing up your high school playing days

I talk about what I know

I was saying that you always prepare on game day whether you are the superstar or the last guy on the roster

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

What makes is confusing. If it was a regular season game JB knew he wasn’t playing because Luck was the QB. Yet he was leading the team out of the tunnel.

I don't think we'll ever know just how much Brissett helped Luck  It's clear that Luck was in a downward spiral emotionally for at least the last 2-3 years due to the injury-pain-rehab cycle he mentioned in his retirement presser.

In a situation like that it can be easy to withdraw into oneself.  As more focus is spent on enduring pain, you have less to go around for other things, it's just natural.

Is it entirely impossible that as Luck began to flag emotionally, Brisset stepped up and started asserting himself as a leader in the locker room?  That would serve to explain why he was given the unusual honor of leading the team onto the field as a backup.  It would also be entirely within what we think we know about the character of Jacoby Brissett. 

And it would explain why Colts brass seems universally 100% behind Brissett right now, even in leaks and off the record comments that might nomally give room for a bit of ambiguity.

6 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I talk about what I know

I was saying that you always prepare on game day whether you are the superstar or the last guy on the roster

Oh yes.  The backup always prepares as if hes going to play because he's one injury away from being out there.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I talk about what I know

I got what you were saying. I think the purpose of the post was to show how JB was already a leader of this team despite being a backup.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I got what you were saying. I think the purpose of the post was to show how JB was already a leader of this team despite being a backup.

Yeah. Brissett comes out of the tunnel first (like the teams leader) and Luck was way in the back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jameszeigler834 said:

This isn't a good deal if he turns out to be a flop.

At the very worst it means Indy is paying a top backup 15 million for 1 season and if a replacement is brought in it will likely be a rookie on a cheap deal, so with all the cap space we have it doesn't hurt us at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Was that against Cincinnati?

I believe that was against the Texans.  Might have been the playoff game or the last regular season matchup.  I heard the “ My Little Pony” theme song playing as the Colts came running out of the tunnel.  I almost died. :lol:  I believe the Texans pulled that out on us if I’m remembering correctly.  Lol. 

1 minute ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I believe that was against the Texans.  Might have been the playoff game or the last regular season matchup.  I heard the “ My Little Pony” theme song playing as the Colts came running out of the tunnel.  I almost died. :lol:  I believe the Texans pulled that out on us if I’m remembering correctly.  Lol. 

Thanks

The Text Wording was confusing for me 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, aaron11 said:

JB really hasnt done much either.   a few months ago everyone was saying hes not good enough to get much in a trade.

now hes the savior though...

This is true...and everyone loves that they just gave him $28M more for this year and next. To each their own I guess.

4 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

Has everybody lost their friggin marbles? Before today, absolutely nobody was suggesting that extending Brissett was a good idea. After Ballard foolishly pays Jacoby, this is somehow a great move? 

Actually,   it's been discussed quite a bit

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

Has everybody lost their friggin marbles? Before today, absolutely nobody was suggesting that extending Brissett was a good idea. After Ballard foolishly pays Jacoby, this is somehow a great move? 

I disagree. There were a lot saying a two year deal would work out great before this today.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

I am sorta with you on this. I don't really get this from a football standpoint...especially now that it seems like it's only a one-year extension. Basically they are paying him $28M more for this season and next.

I guess they can put some of what would have been next year's cap hit into this year's cap...but it's not like they need that flexibility with all of the cap space they have. And he has to actually be worth keeping...otherwise they just have him a monster raise for no reason.

So Luck retires...and the Colts end up spending more money on QB...pretty crazy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

I am sorta with you on this. I don't really get this from a football standpoint...especially now that it seems like it's only a one-year extension. Basically they are paying him $28M more for this season and next.

I guess they can put some of what would have been next year's cap hit into this year's cap...but it's not like they need that flexibility with all of the cap space they have. And he has to actually be worth keeping...otherwise they just have him a monster raise for no reason.

So Luck retires...and the Colts end up spending more money on QB...pretty crazy.

I guess Colts=happy homer simpson GIF

22 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

How many teams let their starting QB play out a contract year? Brees, Brady, Rivers, etc., guys late in their careers. Now that Brissett is QB1, extending him was the obvious move. If he plays well, they've bought leverage with an extra year of control before we even think about a franchise tag situation, and his two year average is about 40% of what Dak Prescott is asking for. If he doesn't play well, they'll be thinking about drafting a replacement, but you'll still have vets in the room as a buffer. There's no downside to this. 

And it's not tied to the Luck money. That situation is done. The Colts needed to secure their QB stable without Luck. They've done that, and they have the flexibility to go in whatever direction they want after 2019. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

The colts are simply putting their money where their mouth is. They've said all along they think Brissett is a top 20 qb.... said That they've turned down trade offers for him in the past..... Guess we shall see.

6 hours ago, CR91 said:

you can't give Hoyer more money then Brissett. Also what options do we have? We're not bad enough to be in the market for Tua, Fromm, or Hebert. Their going one, two, and three

One, two, and three? Lol not a chance. Tua looks like a lock to go 1, but most mocks have Herbert top 10, and Fromm back end of the first. They could easily end up Herbert or Fromm. 

2 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

One, two, and three? Lol not a chance. Tua looks like a lock to go 1, but most mocks have Herbert top 10, and Fromm back end of the first. They could easily end up Herbert or Fromm. 

Yea I wouldn't base Mocks at this time of the year. No one had Murray going first this time last year.

Just now, CR91 said:

Yea I wouldn't base Mocks at this time of the year. No one had Murray going first this time last year.

People keep saying that like the NFL is linear year over year. In the 2020 draft, Tua, Herbert, and Fromm are the top dogs unless they get injured. 2019 was just a weak year for the skill positions overall (outside of TE). The top skill players are about as established as you can get, Jeudy is the top WR, I already listed the QBs, and Swift, Etienne, and Taylor are the top RBs. It's just a great class, it's rumored to be generational. I follow it religiously because I write for a Fantasy Football Blog, so not just spouting nonsense like some people on here, I legit scout these guys. 

1 hour ago, Pacergeek said:

They did it just to irritate you!

1 minute ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

People keep saying that like the NFL is linear year over year. In the 2020 draft, Tua, Herbert, and Fromm are the top dogs unless they get injured. 2019 was just a weak year for the skill positions overall (outside of TE). The top skill players are about as established as you can get, Jeudy is the top WR, I already listed the QBs, and Swift, Etienne, and Taylor are the top RBs. It's just a great class, it's rumored to be generational. I follow it religiously because I write for a Fantasy Football Blog, so not just spouting nonsense like some people on here, I legit scout these guys. 

I already know the 2020 draft is loaded. Explains why Ballard is stocking and or improving draft picks, but the NFL doesn't change. Teams that need QBs will go after QBs

• Like 1

Maybe I'm just spoiled after having Peyton then Luck, but is everyone okay with Brissett just being slightly above average? I think that's probably the most likely scenario. I wanna have another Top 5 guy, and if that's too lofty then I at bare minimum want a Top 10 guy. The good news is that Tua, Herbert, Fromm to a degree, Trevor Lawrence, Jacob Eason, and Justin Fields look to be great to elite QBs, and all coming in either 2020 or 2021. I don't think Ballard is the GM that is okay with an Andy Dalton type QB that at his absolute ceiling can get you into the playoffs as a Wild Card team only to lose in the first round every year. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, krunk said:

We should be okay with JB as long as we keep a balanced football team that is able to run, pass and play good defense.  I think the season will be worth watching.

Yes Brissett is a good enough QB to win games.  However, unlike Peyton or Luck he isn’t good enough to make up for other short comings.  I don’t think Brissett is a franchise QB but I do think he’s a starter in this league and the Colts could be a lot worse off than with him at QB.

This extension is good for both sides.  It gives Jacoby more money and a two year window to prove himself.  It means if he plays well the Colts don’t have to worry about losing him at the end of the year but doesn’t commit to him long term so if he isn’t what Ballard and Reich think he is they can move on to someone else in the near future.

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yes Brissett is a good enough QB to win games.  However, unlike Peyton or Luck he isn’t good enough to make up for other short comings.  I don’t think Brissett is a franchise QB but I do think he’s a starter in this league and the Colts could be a lot worse off than with him at QB.

This extension is good for both sides.  It gives Jacoby more money and a two year window to prove himself.  It means if he plays well the Colts don’t have to worry about losing him at the end of the year but doesn’t commit to him long term so if he isn’t what Ballard and Reich think he is they can move on to someone else in the near future.

I think he's at least as good as Dak Prescott talent wise.  Maybe even better and that's good enough to get you in the playoffs.  I think that's the type of QB he is.  And especially with a good cast around him.

• Like 2

This is all hypothetical so take it as you will. 

Scsnerio 1- Jacoby gets paid which is both friendly to the team and himself. Team gets to see what Jacoby looks like while Jacoby can prove to earn a bigger payday. Win, win.

Scenerio 2- While Jacoby plays out this year, if the Colts feel like he is not the answer they can make a move in the 2020 draft and have Jacoby as the bridge or fight for the Qb spot since Ballard is heavy on depth and competition. Personally I think Ballard drafts a Qb this coming year even if Brissett plays well.

Scenerio 3- The Dark Horse..... Maybe Ballard and Irsay truly believe Luck will be back next year and realize if they have Jacoby next year under contract and plays well they can flip him for draft picks since his contract is cheap. Now if Jacoby plays like a top 5 qb they keep him but i personally don't see that happening. Now if they flip him for picks they can still use the capital to move up and still draft a Qb to be behind Luck just in case he decides to retire again.

I know people will say I'm crazy but no one thought Luck would retire not even the Colts did. And if he does comeback which is very possible you know Irsay will not let Ballard trade him away and Ballard will still want to do what's best for the team and that's having insurance just in case.