Indianapolis Colts
Chloe6124

Brissett Extended (Merge)

2 minutes ago, Peterk2011 said:

... and a historically good defense.

We just need Eberflus to put together a historically good defense in his 2nd season as a DC, from a bunch of 25 yrs old youngsters, and we'll be fine. Piece of cake. :D

Nick Foles won a superbowl.   With Frank's offense.   

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Indy_Mike said:

Brissett is an average mediocre QB...he is not that good. If I am wrong I will gladly admit it, but I don't expect much from Jacoby this season, Colts are starting to look like the Cleveland Browns from about 3 or 4 years ago!

I might not be quite as down on the guy, but we havent seen enough imo. There have been a lot of players across different sports get paid then immediately suck also. Hope this all works out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peterk2011 said:

... and a historically good defense.

We just need Eberflus to put together a historically good defense in his 2nd year from a buch of 25 years old, and we'll be fine. Piece of cake. :D

My original post compared us to the Jags . Our defense is approaching that and our QB is better than Bortles imo 

Perfect deal for both. Gives him some security in case he falls flat or has injury.  Gives colts a discount if he balls out. But not so much money that they are forced to stick with him if he doesn't meet expectations. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Crush22 said:

confused funny memes GIF

Does the name William Hudnut III ring a bell? In 1980 he was the driving force to build a football stadium for a town with no football team. The rest is history.

5 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

My original post compared us to the Jags . Our defense is approaching that and our QB is better than Bortles imo 

Apologies for Hijacking your point

sorry forgive me GIF

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, coltsfanej said:

Perfect deal for both. Gives him some security in case he falls flat or has injury.  Gives colts a discount if he balls out. But not so much money that they are forced to stick with him if he doesn't meet expectations. 

Well said.

I imagine $15m is guaranteed this season with only $5m guaranteed next year.

I'm okay with this, but we still have to keep Kelly. So we have to carry 3 qb's. Good for Jacoby, but he can't start 0-4.

• Like 1

This is a Nice bridge to see if he can be the guy. Makes him wealthy but doesn’t quite give him elite money yet. If he balls out this year you might see them giving him the real money next off season.

This is funny but true.

2 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

Does the name William Hudnut III ring a bell? In 1980 he was the driving force to build a football stadium for a town with no football team. The rest is history.

I was a little too young(born September 6, 1978) to remember that but remember the footage of the Mayflower Vans 

9 minutes ago, Peterk2011 said:

Yeah. And Andrew Luck didnt.

Yeah,   one season with the offense showed they were moving in the right direction.    Who knows what could have been.   Jacoby is the man now. 

1 minute ago, Indy_Mike said:

Jacoby's fans will make plenty of excuses for him if he does go 0-4...I suspect if he does go 0-4 all the losses will be close enough for them to blame another player!:headspin:

Most of us are Colts fans,   not fans of a particular player.     When Kelly gets cut,   you can go be a fan of his arena league team

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Just now, jvan1973 said:

Most of us are Colts fans,   not fans of a particular player.     When Kelly gets cut,   you can go be a fan of his arena league team

I was lucky that Ken Dilger ended up here

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Bucs also won a SB with Brad Johnson at QB in 2002 haha 

Remember that one well got Ken Dilger a SB ring

• Like 2

Another no brainer for the Colts. They've taken all serious uncertainty out of the QB situation for the next two years. 

• Like 5

Jvan you're being a little harsh on Kelly, I think if they were going to cut him they already would have. Why put him on the 53 just so he goes on the suspended list?

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, TheMiz said:

Never said there wasn't. However, most would agree that most football fans in Indiana were fans of either the Bears, or the Bengals. When I was growing up, most local radio stations covered the bears. Even Q95 was mostly Bears. It was not until Harbaugh and that ridiculous run happened that more people in the state realized that we actually had our own football team. 

Hoosier Dome was a sellout in 1984

1 hour ago, TheMiz said:

This makes no sense what so ever.

I’m sure it makes more sense than paying 24 million for Luck to sit on his butt this season.  Colts have money to burn obviously and this is how Ballard is choosing to spend it for better or for worse. 

Just now, Two_pound said:

Jvan you're being a little harsh on Kelly, I think if they were going to cut him they already would have. Why put him on the 53 just so he goes on the suspended list?

He isn't on the 53.  He might make it.   Or they are doing him a favor by letting him stay on the suspended list so he gets it out of the way.   Maybe they trade him,   maybe they keep him or maybe they cut him.   Impossible to know

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Indy_Mike said:

You seem pretty thin skinned for being just a Colts fan...I think somebody has himself a real JB crush!

Not really.   I just trust those that watch him every day.    He has shown more in his career than Kelly has.    That one kneel down by Kelly was executed wonderfully though

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I’m sure it will make more sense than paying 24 million Luck to sit on his butt this season. 

He isn't getting paid.   He already got paid.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He isn't on the 53.  He might make it.   Or they are doing him a favor by letting him stay on the suspended list so he gets it out of the way.   Maybe they trade him,   maybe they keep him or maybe they cut him.   Impossible to know

The only that looks certain is that he probably won’t be getting many 1st team snaps this years

3 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

lol Colts got money to hand off now :cash:

Ballard is going to have so much money going out to new contacts after this season. He is going to be very busy. Money will be flying out the door.

21 minutes ago, Peterk2011 said:

Yeah. And Andrew Luck didnt.

And Andrew Luck retired didn't he? So today we move on with Jacoby Brissett, and it's a great locker room move and the best move this franchise could possibly make right now. 

52 minutes ago, TheMiz said:

Never said there wasn't. However, most would agree that most football fans in Indiana were fans of either the Bears, or the Bengals. When I was growing up, most local radio stations covered the bears. Even Q95 was mostly Bears. It was not until Harbaugh and that ridiculous run happened that more people in the state realized that we actually had our own football team. 

I have been a Colts fan since 1984 when they moved here (I was 12 at the time). I had watched football a few years prior to that but was a fan of several teams being so young, I didn't care I just loved watching. When Indy got a team I was 100% Colts.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He isn't getting paid.   He already got paid.   

It’s cap money spent for this season.  That’s the essential point.  Colts opted to let him keep it when they could have recouped it.  Luck quit and still keeps his money...thanks to Irsay.  In light of that no one should be complaining about them extending Jacoby.  At least he will be taking the field this season. 

1 hour ago, TheMiz said:

I became a fan around 95, like most people in Indiana...

Which happens to be about the time I really started paying attention to football, since I was 12

Lucky you didn't have to suffer through the Gary Hogeboom's, Jack Trudeau, Mark Herrmann, Mike Pagel's and the Chris Chandelier's (aka Chris Chandler).....horrible, horrible times....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

So Brissett basically got the franchise tag money but doing it this way helps with the cap hit.

• Like 4

Here is an interesting way to view the deal:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/02/jacoby-brissett-basically-gets-the-franchise-tag-early/

Jacoby Brissett basically gets the franchise tag early

...Brissett has agreed to terms on a two-year, $30 million deal. It’s not an extension, but a two-year contract that replaces the remainder of his rookie deal, which was due to pay $2 million this year.

With an extra $28 million over the next two years, the Colts have basically pre-exercised the franchise tag on Brissett, giving him the same two-year payout he would have gotten if the Colts had tagged him after the season. The Colts bought some time, building a bridge to making a long-term decision at quarterback, post-Andrew Luck.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the Colts weren’t enamored with next year’s expected class of free-agent quarterbacks, so they opted to give Brissett the security that he didn’t have, along with dibs on earning another deal.

The Colts also benefit from the fact that, even though they’re basically giving Brissett a deal that equates to the money he would have earned this year plus next year’s franchise tag, they don’t have to actually apply the tag to make it happen, giving them the ability to do it in 2021 and 2022, before it would become ridiculously expensive in 2023.

And then there’s the Luck factor. If he comes back in 2020, the Colts won’t have so much cash tied up in Brissett that they can’t welcome Luck back and reabsorb his contract.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1